Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,105 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG (13086 Views)

Islamic Indonesia Fights Against The Jilboob (tight Hijab) / What Stops You From Wearing The Hijab? / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by bukatyne(f): 10:21am On Mar 07, 2013
deols:

that christians change their religion to suit happenings around them doesnt mean muslims shld do d same.

muslims are forever distinct. we will have our ways eventually-fact!

We don't have a 'religion', we have a way of life hence a yoruba christian looks like a yoruba, eat yoruba foods etc in a godly way. The way a 1st century christian would relate with you is probably different from I am but the principles remain the same because Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.

We understand that what we wear (once it's decent) doesn't affect our relationship with God and see no reason to disobey the stated rules to 'look' like a christian. I feel comfortable in a gown, Iro and buba, skirt and blouse, kaftan etc because I know it's just a covering for a container that carries the real me (My spirit man). It's my spirit that communicates with God's spirit so I can express my body in what ever dressing style I want.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by BetaThings: 10:37am On Mar 07, 2013
Chrisbenogor: Nigeria is a secular society, religion should be separated from day to day life.

Secularism implies that the government is neutral. It will not promote any religion while it will not suppress any other.
Now when in Dec 2012 the Federal government of this "secular society" spent federal government money to put a NATIONAL CHRISTIMAS TREE, I never saw any mention of secularism

Hijab is compulsory on the wearer
A National Christmas Tree is not compulsory on the Federal Republic of Nigeria

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/12/23/first-lady-lights-first-national-christmas-tree/
First Lady Lights First National Christmas Tree

Nigerians witnessed the first-ever lighting of the National Christmas Tree on Saturday night in Abuja.

Speaking at the event tagged “Let there be light”, Nigeria’s first lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, urged Nigerians to embrace peace, unity and love during the Christmas season.

The Christmas Tree, which is 21 metres high, is strategically located at the Unity Fountain Park, besides the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja and adorned in the national colours of green, white and green.

Chrisbenogor:
So lets say I embrace a traditional worship that does not allow women wear clothes over their chests. In my religion we see breasts as the twin peaks of sheba and there to make men inspired through the day. It would be my constitutional right to practice this within the confines of my house, or even if I decide to borrow Okija_juju's shrine (I am sure he will not mind). The question is will you as a parent allow a female worshiper of my tradition attend a school your kids attend dressed or should I say undressed like that? I doubt, you have every right to say hey this upsets me. So what do we do?

Catholic nuns go around on Nigerian streets without this issue you raise. Going to school does not change the fact that public n-udity is an abberation. Please leave it out. Most societies everywhere encourage people to dress up to varying degrees of conservatism. Would you really liken the communities in Brazil who still go around virtually in the n-ude to Catholic nuns?

Chrisbenogor:
We come up with a UNIFORM meaning something we all agree and we all share in common, we say hey if you are going to be seen in this public place that is a school, you have to wear a white shirt, white shorts or skirt, white socks and sandals. Your hair must be cut clean or neatly woven, there would be no weavons for those who worship the gods of brazillian hair, no make up for those that worship the gods of Mary kay, ear rings should not dangle for those that worship the gods of Jewelry, no necklaces, rosaries etc etc etc. Thats the UNIFORM!

We also know that some members of the armed forces don't wear uniform
Some even keep their beard in uniform!
We tend to come up with "creative" arguments when we want to suppress the rights of some people
Incidentally did you see the way some people are now saying Federal Character is violated in the allocation of oil blocks. These are people who have been saying federal character is retrogressive
The hallmark of willingness to live with others in peace is consistency of argument

Chrisbenogor:
Any muslim who is a real Nigerian and wants the rights of religions to be protected can surely see how this should be in the benefit of all. If you feel the hijab is compulsory then you can take your wards to a muslim school where wearing the Hijab is part of the UNIFORM, its that simple. But in public spaces, no religion should be allowed to take center stage because anything in their fate is compulsory.

Christians who are real democrats would argue that we should also stay at home on Fridays the same way true Christians stay at home on Sundays

1 Like

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by bukatyne(f): 10:43am On Mar 07, 2013
BetaThings:

Secularism implies that the government is neutral. It will not promote any religion while it will not suppress any other.
Now when in Dec 2012 the Federal government of this "secular society" spent federal government money to put a NATIONAL CHRISTIMAS TREE, I never saw any mention of secularism

Catholic nuns go around on Nigerian streets without this issue you raise. Going to school does not change the fact that public n-udity is an abberation. Please leave it out. Most societies everywhere encourage people to dress up to varying degrees of conservatism. Would you really liken the communities in Brazil who still go around virtually in the n-ude to Catholic nuns?

We also know that some members of the armed forces don't ear uniform
We tend to come up with "creative" arguments when we want to suppress the rights of some people
Incidentally did you see the way some people are now saying Federal Character is violated in the allocation of oil blocks. These are people who have been saying federal character is retrogressive
The hallmark of willingness to live with others in peace is consistency of argument

Christians who are real democrats would argue that we should also stay at home on Fridays the same way true Christians stay at home on Sundays
@bolded: Nobody stops muslimahs from wearing hijabs on the streets and I am sure you will never see a christian dressed like a catholic nun in a secondary school.

Please compare apples and apples.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by BetaThings: 10:50am On Mar 07, 2013
Chrisbenogor:
Wanton dishonesty!
The NSE is a public space, its not a mosque a church or a shrine.

So who is dishonest? The DG (an individual) who banned the hijab or the council (a group of people) that said hijab should be allowed on the floor of the NSE or Stanbic that allows it in their offices?
I believe that Stanbic Bank's premises don't qualify as mosques, Churches and shrines.
And I would seriously assume that Stanbic folks are enlightened enough to come to a rational decision on the matter

And please tell me honestly how the hijab distracts you from your daily occupation while you fail to support male lecturers who contend that some female students dress inappropriately never elicited any response from you.
Yes, University lecture rooms are public places
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by BetaThings: 10:55am On Mar 07, 2013
bukatyne:
@bolded: Nobody stops muslimahs from wearing hijabs on the streets and I am sure you will never see a christian dressed like a catholic nun in a secondary school.

Please compare apples and apples.

Please have you ever been to a secondary school run by Catholics before?
I have. My sister attended one. The nuns dress in their usual manner-peacefully, gracefully-without let

Now tell me your views about a government-funded National Christmas Tree in a "secular society" where people say that we should keep religion out of public/national space
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by deols(f): 11:04am On Mar 07, 2013
Babadeen:

smiley

I don suffer smiley

we can still be friends though.

babadeen over macdaddy anyday grin
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Babadeen(m): 11:11am On Mar 07, 2013
deols:

we can still be friends though.

babadeen over macdaddy anyday grin

lmao grin grin grin
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by rezzy: 11:13am On Mar 07, 2013
I think we have muslim schools in lagos, muslim girls who must wear hijab should go there, since Fashola and Ruqqayah are both muslims and dont want them to put on hijab. Left for me, i dnt have problem with hijab but some of these girls are so dirty, they leave their hair unkempt and sometimes stink.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by BetaThings: 11:18am On Mar 07, 2013
rezzy: I think we have muslim schools in lagos, muslim girls who must wear hijab should go there, since Fashola and Ruqqayah are both muslims and dont want them to put on hijab. Left for me, i dnt have problem with hijab but some of these girls are so dirty, they leave their hair unkempt and sometimes stink.

Is it the girls that are dirty and unkempt or the hijab?
I assume that if it is the girls they would still be without the hijab

I also take it that All Christian girls are spick and span. No?
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by bukatyne(f): 11:28am On Mar 07, 2013
BetaThings:

Please have you ever been to a secondary school run by Catholics before?
I have. My sister attended one. The nuns dress in their usual manner-peacefully, gracefully-without let

Now tell me your views about a government-funded National Christmas Tree in a "secular society" where people say that we should keep religion out of public/national space

@boldes: Are the public schools run by muslims? Have you seen students dressed as nuns?
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by BetaThings: 12:24pm On Mar 07, 2013
bukatyne:

@boldes: Are the public schools run by muslims? Have you seen students dressed as nuns?

Nuns take vows after years of being tested. They are typically not school-age people. And some are cloistered by the way
If a nun wants to attend a Muslim school, she is welcome. But as a Muslim school, we would teach the Qur'an and ahadeeth because we don't have the knowledge to teach the Bible

As for public schools, the Hijab and other religious problems arise when Christians head such schools. It is CRK only. I experienced it.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by bukatyne(f): 12:49pm On Mar 07, 2013
BetaThings:

Nuns take vows after years of being tested. They are typically not school-age people. And some are cloistered by the way
If a nun wants to attend a Muslim school, she is welcome. But as a Muslim school, we would teach the Qur'an and ahadeeth because we don't have the knowledge to teach the Bible

As for public schools, the Hijab and other religious problems arise when Christians head such schools. It is CRK only. I experienced it.

One thing you all don't understand is that nobody is waging war or discriminating against muslims. I am very sure these schools don't allow any other religious article/clothing

I went to a Fed. Gov College (public) and we did CRK and IRK, had christian and muslim prayers on the assembly ground every mondays, It was compulsory for muslims and christians to attend services on sundays, special early morning and night meal was cooked for muslims during the fast, they had their prayers on fridays and saturdays and any time they are free etc.

However, NO STUDENT wore hijab, rosary, ifa bead, we couldn't use some colours of wrappers like black in the hostel. I am 100% sure no muslimah would complain about been discriminated about.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:58pm On Mar 07, 2013
BetaThings:

The government should be neutral and that is what I am clamoring for here, the federal republic of Nigeria cannot/should not celebrate Christmas, the Christians in Nigeria would celebrate Christmas.
No religion should be promoted or suppressed I agree as well, we do not live in utopia, I understand that nothing can be perfect but let us not derail ourselves here we are talking about a Hijab in a public school.
The freedom on all of us to practice our religion ends where we infringe on others rights to either practice that or when it is in conflict with fundamental human rights as agreed by all.

Catholic nuns go around on Nigerian streets without this issue you raise.
If I might put things in perspective for you, as strongly as you feel about the Hijab, there is someone out there that feels strongly about her twin peaks of sheba inspiring the men around her, compulsory or not to your religion is irrelevant and inconsequential, what is important is within the rules and the confines of what this public school has stated is the dress code before you signed your ward up.
I respect that the Hijab wearer feels it is compulsory, no problem. Should that now mean that she should be given a special preference because her religion dictates so? Surely not! If there is an already agreed laid down rule in the school of what a constitutes a uniform, no one should be exempt. If you feel your Hijab is compulsory to wear then go a school where it is allowed as part of the uniform its that simple.

Going to school does not change the fact that public n-udity is an abberation. Please leave it out. Most societies everywhere encourage people to dress up to varying degrees of conservatism. Would you really liken the communities in Brazil who still go around virtually in the n-ude to Catholic nuns?

My friend, an aberration in society is determined by that society, it goes back to what I say is the collective decision of everyone to say hey I would not like to see this in public space, so we all come together to agree simples. If we all agree what a school uniform should be then thats what it should be no preferences to anyone at all.

We also know that some members of the armed forces don't wear uniform
I do not know what you mean about uniforms or beards in uniform.
There is nothing remotely creative about these arguments, your right to practice your religion ends where it begins to infringe on the rights of others to either practice theirs or when it violates a laid down rule or law simple. That a person worships a deity that requires human sacrifice would be arrested for murder if he kills anyone in the name of his deity religion or not.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by maclatunji: 1:00pm On Mar 07, 2013
bukatyne:

We don't have a 'religion', we have a way of life hence a yoruba christian looks like a yoruba, eat yoruba foods etc in a godly way. The way a 1st century christian would relate with you is probably different from I am but the principles remain the same because Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.

We understand that what we wear (once it's decent) doesn't affect our relationship with God and see no reason to disobey the stated rules to 'look' like a christian. I feel comfortable in a gown, Iro and buba, skirt and blouse, kaftan etc because I know it's just a covering for a container that carries the real me (My spirit man). It's my spirit that communicates with God's spirit so I can express my body in what ever dressing style I want.

Bukatyne #Sweetheart you are yarning rubbish.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by bukatyne(f): 1:46pm On Mar 07, 2013
maclatunji:

Bukatyne #Sweetheart you are yarning rubbish.

The fact your spirit man can't grasp some concepts does not mean it is rubbish.

This post is offensive to Christianity.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by cytellProperty: 1:54pm On Mar 07, 2013
Then dresses of other religion and traditionalist should be allowed in schools.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by maclatunji: 1:57pm On Mar 07, 2013
bukatyne:

On the contrary, your post is offensive to Christianity. Your nebulous concept of 'spirit man' implies you can wear a bikini or nothing at all to church.

Inasmuch as not everyone will become a Muslim, we still need Christians to maintain a basic standard with their religion. Your postulations are below par even for Christianity.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by BetaThings: 2:04pm On Mar 07, 2013
bukatyne:

One thing you all don't understand is that nobody is waging war or discriminating against muslims. I am very sure these schools don't allow any other religious article/clothing

One thing Christians don't understand is that Muslims are human beings too and though you might think our IQ is very low, but the little brain Allah has given us makes us KNOW that you are waging war/discriminating against Muslims

We wanted to use our own fund to set up Islamic Bank. We just wanted approval from CBN to do so. Christians were all over the news - they want to islamise this country, it will cause more disruption, people would be asking for Amadioha/Osun Bank etc
We said yes, allow us. Let the others ask. We have no issues with Okija bank

Now our government used government money to erect a National Christmas Tree. All the arguments against Islamic bank disappeared. Nobody feared that people would ask for Osun Birthday Tree. Or that it will not deepen cleavage in the society

This issue with the hijab tells me nothing other than Christians just hate Islam. I am yet to see what Christians want that Muslims object to

bukatyne:
I went to a Fed. Gov College (public) and we did CRK and IRK, had christian and muslim prayers on the assembly ground every mondays, It was compulsory for muslims and christians to attend services on sundays, special early morning and night meal was cooked for muslims during the fast, they had their prayers on fridays and saturdays and any time they are free etc.

However, NO STUDENT wore hijab, rosary, ifa bead, we couldn't use some colours of wrappers like black in the hostel. I am 100% sure no muslimah would complain about been discriminated about.

Look at those in red colour. Are they similar? Muslims HAD to attend sunday service. Christians left Muslims alone to attend THEIR Friday prayers. Where is the equality. I hope you realise that forcing a muslim to say anybody other than Allah is God is a great sin. Everytime he says it, he has to repent immediately. So what is the use?

There are muslims who would go near na.ked if allowed. But that is not the issue.
We would not use the fact that some Christians are ready to go to work on Sunday morning as evidence against those who want to go to church
We just want those muslims who believe (and I do so) that hijab is compulsory to be allowed to wear it without incident
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by tomzman: 2:11pm On Mar 07, 2013
Muslims sha...... hmm.

Maclatunji, which one is "to avoid being banned make sure your post is..........bla bla bla." Well, I reserve my comment on that for now.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:11pm On Mar 07, 2013
bukatyne:

So ban him then
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by BetaThings: 2:31pm On Mar 07, 2013
Chrisbenogor:
The government should be neutral and that is what I am clamoring for here, the federal republic of Nigeria cannot/should not celebrate Christmas, the Christians in Nigeria would celebrate Christmas.
No religion should be promoted or suppressed I agree as well, we do not live in utopia, I understand that nothing can be perfect but let us not derail ourselves here we are talking about a Hijab in a public school.
The freedom on all of us to practice our religion ends where we infringe on others rights to either practice that or when it is in conflict with fundamental human rights as agreed by all.

If I might put things in perspective for you, as strongly as you feel about the Hijab, there is someone out there that feels strongly about her twin peaks of sheba inspiring the men around her

Great. Christians celebrate Christmas and Muslims their Eid. So why will the hijab cause any disaffection?
And not allowing muslims wear it is actually suppressing the rights of Muslims
As for people who want to bare their chests, they are welcome to the consequences for both the person and the family!
FYI the tribe that bares it in Nigeria is a very militant one and they accompany their wives to the market. Anybody who believes that he can carry on his with life without his head is the only person who dares to interfere

Chrisbenogor:
compulsory or not to your religion is irrelevant and inconsequential, what is important is within the rules and the confines of what this public school has stated is the dress code before you signed your ward up.

Would you really tell an employer of labour that Christmas is inconsequential and he should force his staff to come to work?

Chrisbenogor:
I respect that the Hijab wearer feels it is compulsory, no problem. Should that now mean that she should be given a special preference because her religion dictates so? Surely not! If there is an already agreed laid down rule in the school of what a constitutes a uniform, no one should be exempt. If you feel your Hijab is compulsory to wear then go a school where it is allowed as part of the uniform its that simple.

Allowing the hijab is mo more a sign of preference than a religious public holiday. A secular society allows all religions to be practised without restraint provided nobody is harmed. Even the Oro people who impose curfew are allowed to practise and that is more intrusive on others than the hijab. What you are advocating is near theocracy where some religions are suppressed.

Chrisbenogor:
My friend, an aberration in society is determined by that society, it goes back to what I say is the collective decision of everyone to say hey I would not like to see this in public space, so we all come together to agree simples. If we all agree what a school uniform should be then thats what it should be no preferences to anyone at all.

Show me how many societies actually allow people to prance about in the nu-de. Even people who go around in the nu.de often abandon that habit when they come in contact with other communities

Chrisbenogor:
I do not know what you mean about uniforms or beards in uniform.
There is nothing remotely creative about these arguments, your right to practice your religion ends where it begins to infringe on the rights of others to either practice theirs or when it violates a laid down rule or law simple. That a person worships a deity that requires human sacrifice would be arrested for murder if he kills anyone in the name of his deity religion or not.

You say uniform means turning out uniformly. In the armed forces, people must shave their beard and wear uniform
I am saying even there exceptions are made

So how come when the law is violated in favour of Christians, why do Christians who believe in the supremacy of the law keep quiet and become the watchful guardian of the extended version of the law whenever there is a suspicion that Muslims might be allowed to practise their faith in peace!

This matter of hijab has gone to 4 pages. Where is the one page reminder to the government to respect the law in respect of the National Christmas tree?

1 Like

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Nacl: 2:47pm On Mar 07, 2013
HMMMMMMMMMM... RELIGION AGAIN
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by daontop: 2:52pm On Mar 07, 2013
udatso:
Nyc write up..but I want u to ansa ds 4 me...do white garment xtrians where dia garment on daily basis; to work, travel, drive,eat,play,......? Am sure d ansa is NO...but guess what....muslims wear hijab always, its nt jst 4 worship places alone..beat dat

nyc write up... i also wnt u 2ans dis 4me...do d lord chosens wear thr orange-green apronlike cloth on daily basis; to work, travel, drive, eat, play? i guess ur ans is yes.... if u wnt d state 2cancel skul uniform 4skul pupils nd evrybdy shld wrar mufti... fyn by me bt nt wen thr is a standard nd because of ur religious belifs, u wnt 2bend it 2suit u, den u r wrong.... thr re countless islamic skuls in lagos whr u can go 2whr u can wear dat 24/7 witout being questnd..
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by udatso: 3:03pm On Mar 07, 2013
BetaThings:

One thing Christians don't understand is that Muslims are human beings too and though you might think our IQ is very low, but the little brain Allah has given us makes us KNOW that you are waging war/discriminating against Muslims

We wanted to use our own fund to set up Islamic Bank. We just wanted approval from CBN to do so. Christians were all over the news - they want to islamise this country, it will cause more disruption, people would be asking for Amadioha/Osun Bank etc

Now our government used government money to erect a National Christmas Tree. All the arguments against Islamic bank disappeared. Nobody feared that people would ask for Osun Birthday Tree. Or that it will not deepen cleavage in the society

This issue with the hijab tells me nothing other than Christians just hate Islam. I am yet to see what Christians want that Muslims object to

Look at those in red colour. Are they similar? Muslims HAD to attend sunday service. Christians left Muslims alone to attend THEIR Friday prayers. Where is the equality. I hope you realise that forcing a muslim to say anybody other than Allah is God is a great sin. Everytime he says it, he has to repent immediately. So what is the use?

There are muslims who would go near na.ked if allowed. But that is not the issue.
We would not use the fact that some Christians are ready to go to work on Sunday morning as evidence against those who want to go to church
We just want those muslims who believe (and I do so) that hijab is compulsory to be allowed to wear it without incident
May Allah reward you for this. Couldn't have said it better
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by bukatyne(f): 3:03pm On Mar 07, 2013
BetaThings:

@ bolded, I meant Muslims had to go to the mosque on sundays while christians go to church. Sunday was the day for service and nobody must be in the dorm during service hours.

As for the Islamic bank issue, do we have Christianic bank or Ifaic bank? Really, it's muslims that want to segregate themselves. It would be discrimination if there was Osun bank, muslims wanted Islamic bank and people said no.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by bukatyne(f): 3:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
maclatunji:

On the contrary, your post is offensive to Christianity. Your nebulous concept of 'spirit man' implies you can wear a bikini or nothing at all to church.

Inasmuch as not everyone will become a Muslim, we still need Christians to maintain a basic standard with their religion. Your postulations are below par even for Christianity.

Mr., it is good to understand a post before commenting and if you don't, don't quote.

I wonder where you deduced that my concept of the spirit man (you don't understand) is nebulous or what part of my post implies a christian can wear bikini to church.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by udatso: 3:11pm On Mar 07, 2013
daontop:

nyc write up... i also wnt u 2ans dis 4me...do d lord chosens wear thr orange-green apronlike cloth on daily basis; to work, travel, drive, eat, play? i guess ur ans is yes.... if u wnt d state 2cancel skul uniform 4skul pupils nd evrybdy shld wrar mufti... fyn by me bt nt wen thr is a standard nd because of ur religious belifs, u wnt 2bend it 2suit u, den u r wrong.... thr re countless islamic skuls in lagos whr u can go 2whr u can wear dat 24/7 witout being questnd..
Well, I dnt comprehend wot u are saying bt talkn abt standards, mayb u shd tel ur fed govmnt to kp up 2 standards by nt supressing a religion, yl promotn d oda..xtmas tree, does dat wring a bell? Look my dear...dis is jst pure hatred towards islam. ...somtyms, sentiments block d way of reasoning of some people
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by maclatunji: 3:58pm On Mar 07, 2013
bukatyne:

Mr., it is good to understand a post before commenting and if you don't, don't quote.

I wonder where you deduced that my concept of the spirit man (you don't understand) is nebulous or what part of my post implies a christian can wear bikini to church.

I understood you perfectly. You drove yourself into a cul-de-sac. Now, you are claiming 'advanced philisopher', what will we have from you next- 'the immaculate being'?

Bukatyne: It's my spirit that
communicates with God's spirit so I
can express my body in what ever
dressing style I want.

God's spirit? Hahahahaha. You can 'express your body in whatever dressing style'. Bikini is a dressing style. It is your spirit that matters abi?

I would like a one-on-one debate with you. You need to be enlightened and see that your conceptual framework when it comes to God is faulty.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:59pm On Mar 07, 2013
BetaThings:

Great. Christians celebrate Christmas and Muslims their Eid. So why will the hijab cause any disaffection?
During my early career I once worked where there was compulsory prayers for everyone by 7 in the morning, I never subscribed to it. For that I would fight with any Muslim to make sure their religious rights were not being infringed upon. This is different, there is a dress code and wearing the hijab violates this code.

Let us make this more practical, if I have a restaurant and a muslim works there as a waitress I would expect them to be neatly dressed in a particular way. If they have to work there that's how they would be dressed, after work on your way home you can cover your face for all I care. The beauty of democracy is that things are not by force, if you do not want your child to attend that school surely there are many other schools where this would be allowed no?

And not allowing muslims wear it is actually suppressing the rights of Muslims
As for people who want to bare their chests, they are welcome to the consequences for both the person and the family!
FYI the tribe that bares it in Nigeria is a very militant one and they accompany their wives to the market. Anybody who believes that he can carry on his with life without his head is the only person who dares to interfere
I disagree with this, muslims have not be stopped from wearing it, these are the lines you use to argue when you want to elicit an emotional response from your fellow muslim brothers and I must say this is wrong. This is not a fight against islam, its a simple fight for democracy and the rule of law. No religion is bigger than the constitution of Nigeria.
But would you be offended if you truly see a bare chested girl in school? According to your arguments her religious rights are enshrined in the constitution no? I know you would not, so people have come up with a STANDARD that all students should wear! How hard is this to understand
In Saudi Arabia, Christian or not, a grown female will be forced to wear the Hijab, in as much as that is a blatant violation of their right to practice religion, when I find myself in that society I would CONFORM! if I dont like it I would leave that simple! But within the confines of that country you do as they do.

Would you really tell an employer of labour that Christmas is inconsequential and he should force his staff to come to work?

Allowing the hijab is mo more a sign of preference than a religious public holiday. A secular society allows all religions to be practised without restraint provided nobody is harmed. Even the Oro people who impose curfew are allowed to practise and that is more intrusive on others than the hijab. What you are advocating is near theocracy where some religions are suppressed.
Inconsequential, hell no they should practice for all I care, just not in my establishment. Again this is not and intrusion of your religion.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by bukatyne(f): 4:21pm On Mar 07, 2013
maclatunji:

I understood you perfectly. You drove yourself into a cul-de-sac. Now, you are claiming 'advanced philisopher', what will we have from you next- 'the immaculate being'?

God's spirit? Hahahahaha. You can 'express your body in whatever dressing style'. Bikini is a dressing style. It is your spirit that matters abi?

I would like a one-on-one debate with you. You need to be enlightened and see that your conceptual framework when it comes to God is faulty.

You got this from my post?

Mac, We don't serve the same God so you have no idea what the right 'conceptual framework' of my God is.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Babadeen(m): 4:23pm On Mar 07, 2013
bukatyne:

You got this from my post?

Mac, We don't serve the same God so you have no idea what the right 'conceptual framework' of my God is.

ouch
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by daontop: 4:54pm On Mar 07, 2013
udatso:
Well, I dnt comprehend wot u are saying bt talkn abt standards, mayb u shd tel ur fed govmnt to kp up 2 standards by nt supressing a religion, yl promotn d oda..xtmas tree, does dat wring a bell? Look my dear...dis is jst pure hatred towards islam. ...somtyms, sentiments block d way of reasoning of some people

if u've bin readin my post u would hav understood wot i ve bin sayn bt i guess u are'nt; dat d Nigeria state is a secar state.. yes d xmas tree nd all dat.. bt do u no dat d same fed govt spend alot to make sure Muslims in Nigerian go 2mecca all in d name of hajj? hw many christians hav dey sponsord 2 rome, jerusalem etc?.. wel i am nt tryn 2defend govt bt my own opinion is dat d govt knowin dat Nigeria being an multi ethnic nd religion state shld.nt in any way or form support any group...bt if an individual in govt who may b d president or his vice decides to erect an xmas tree in his name or his family...mst it be termd "supressing islam?" u may tink pple hate ur religion bt dey dnt bt rather wot dey dislike is d way d followers of d religion treat issues witout d others at heart... i could remember around 1986 durin d reign of gen. baba*****, He registered Nigeria in d Organisation of Islamic Countries (OIC).. hw many pple complaind or came up to challenge him? Gen. Abacha did d same.. Bt i am sure if Nigeria is termd "A CHRISTIAN NATION" nt even registerd as 1.. i mean boko haram would hav bin a smal case cos i am pretty sure we wil be havn a bigger boko haram....
nd u sayn " sentiment block d reasonin of sme pple" dats alitle bit off d rail... i bliv dis is a forum to educate ourselves nt to insult nd abuse. i guess u r educated so abeg, joor, biko.. use d Right words...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Wrote Sahih Bukhari, Obviously Not Imam Al-bukhari? / Who Is/are Your Favourite Muslim Scholar(s) Of All Time / The Black Man And His Allah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.