Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Travelling To Canada Part 4 - Travel (340) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 4 (587863 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (444) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by itiboribo: 6:43pm On Sep 08, 2013
What of those that have done medicals and are still waiting? do u guys think there's still hope for them.my bro just did his medicals on d 26th of august this monday will make it 2 weeks.d deadline date for late acceptance is on d 17th of September.however d school has issued him a winter start date just incase of any further delay by d cdhc.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by galala123(m): 6:56pm On Sep 08, 2013
hayek: Folks, after a short day and long night, long story cut short

Application submitted May 2nd, 2013
Medical done June 22, 2013
Submit additional documents August 1,2013
TRV issued September 05, 2013 ( asked to submit my passport)
School Resume September 4th but have till Sept. 18 to show up.

Thanks folks for your advice on this forum. it has been wondeful. No body has monopoly of knowledge and have learnt and gaind from this forum. This is to let guys know that the strike by Visa officers around the world is having its toll on visa processing.

Congrats bro and best wishes ahead.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by itiboribo: 7:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
OK so I actually stumbled on this forum and ever since then I've been a regular silent visitor.I have to confess that am really amazed by d way everyone here has been helping each other especially (ogas)chrigo,fhemmy,huzzie and off course sigma.I never believed that there are still good Nigerians amongst us.God will surely bless everyone and grants everyone of u here or heart desires.I actually live in toronto,have been here 4 some years now.my bro is coming to centennial college but still waiting for his trv after medicals.am willing to help anyone here with questions about centennial.its just by my house.thank u guys for ur contributions here,they helped me a lot.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Siga: 7:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
itiboribo: OK so I actually stumbled on this forum and ever since then I've been a regular silent visitor.I have to confess that am really amazed by d way everyone here has been helping each other especially (ogas)chrigo,fhemmy,huzzie and off course sigma.I never believed that there are still good Nigerians amongst us.God will surely bless everyone and grants everyone of u here or heart desires.I actually live in toronto,have been here 4 some years now.my bro is coming to centennial college but still waiting for his trv after medicals.am willing to help anyone here with questions about centennial.its just by my house.thank u guys or contributions here helped me a lot.
....Sigma bi ti bawo....8th letter of the Greek Alphabet niyen now... Siga ni ooo...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Kunsoft(m): 7:18pm On Sep 08, 2013
Siga: ....Sigma bi ti bawo....8th letter of the Greek Alphabet niyen now... Siga ni ooo...

Hahahahaha laughing with my 2 legs up.Maazi you're 8 in 1 oooo. Lol
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Nuendo: 7:22pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hello all,
Good to see there is a lot of good news in the house. Congrats to all who have been issued their TRV's especially the veteran mr earthgreeners. May all those who are still hopeful have their dreams fulfilled.

I am still settling in slowly here at Calgary. The university is massive and has a massive reputation too. I find myself indeed fortunate to get admission into such a reputable institution. Things are super efficient here. In fact the efficiency would shock you. My greatest shock is that with my school ID and Upass (a sticker on my ID-card) i am able to move around Calgary either by bus or train totally FREE. I also came in contact with my oga, GBoyegaD. Was so happy to meet him and the other Nigerians and forumites here. Please take this forum very serious. You never can tell where this may lead you in life.

My advice to those who have gotten heir TRVs and those wo are yet to get based on my one week here.
1. Please sort out your accommodation before you come / My flight came into Calgary at 9.57pm and I immediately had to take a taxi round town that night for a hotel, this cost me a total of 70 dollars because most hotels were already booked and we moved from one place to the other. I eventually went to one I checked up back home in Nigeria. Funny enough when I arrived there, I was told all the rooms had been taken except for one which was reserved. When I heard this I was suspicious I could be the "one" person they were talking about and to my greatest surprise when I mentioned my name to the receptionist, he said it was me. It happened that I tested the booking feature whether it works back home in Nigeria when searching for a place.

The moral of this story is , sort your accommodation out. It took me 70 dollars to run through the city looking for a cheap place and what saved me from sleeping in a very expensive place was the random reservation I made. Please if you don't get on_campus residency, please make a hotel booking for minimum of 3 nights . If not you may fall into serious wahala.

2. Please carry less clothes when you are coming. Especially short sleeves. This is a cold climate area. The chances that your clothes you bought in niaja would be like wearing nylon here. In other words, tehy would be ineffective against the cold. This is still the end of summer and its already worse than any haramattan i have ever experienced. #this goes to the JJC's like me who are just travelling to colder climates for the first time.

3. Carry beta money for warm clothing. (see 2. Above).

4. Before you pay for rent outside school,come first and see the place physically. It would also be good to see your house mates and places like the kitchen and bathroom (if your sharing) to know whether you can live in such a place.

5. Please prepared to be shocked at the prices you would pay for a room and bath. Before you come, check kjiji.com and other rental websites and see what the range is. So as to avoid stories that touch.

6. PLEASE IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO COOK , YOU BETTER SORT THAT OUT NOW. If not you might spend as much as 30 dollars a day on eating outside (the lower limit ). You'll get almost all major foodstuffs in the malls and superstores. There are also some Nigerian shops where you would buy things like egusi, our won Indomie, cray fish etc. Please once you get here, that should be your first question for Nigerians who have resided here for some time. ALSO CARRY INDOMIE AND PLENTY GALA if you can. They are more important than that fancy short sleeve you are packing. grin . The gala especially woud be you best friend for the first few days

7. Be prepared for some serious culture shock of which the greatest would be the realization that you may be the only religious person per 400 people you meet. You would be immersed within a generation of atheists, So keep your religious views and opinions /habits to yourself. na OYO things for here oh. Someone got sued here for using a microphone to preach on the streets (true story).

8. Carry some drugs along with you especially flagyl, paracetamol and enuf malaria medicine. medical care here is about 100 times more expensive than back home in niaja. SO its not that I am encouraging self medication but getting malaria here is close to getting typhoid back home. The system here isnt used to the treatment of malaria so it would cost you a fortune. Besides, if you fall ill within the first few days, you may not even know how to get a bus or taxi to the hospital. so USE YA HEAD

9. Once you land. Study the transport system like a book. Its different from Niaja. You may not even see taxi's on the road at all. The bus and the trains are the most efficient means of getting around once understood. You actually do not need a car here. Please this is 2013. Got online and Google the city transit for the city you are in. Also make use of your eyes to read signs . They are extremely helpful.

7. BE PREPARED TO GET MISSING ABOUT 6-7 times before you find your footing around the city/town. When this happens, dont panic. Just ask people around you. People here are very nice.

8. As soon as you land , getting a working line with data/internet connection is more important than eating.the data aspect is particularly important because everything here bis basically on the internet. If you are lost, you can find your way back through your google maps. Please once again, if you are the type that thinks technology isn't so important, be ready to be lost in every single aspect of life. from missing lecture notifications to actually getting lost around your won neighborhood. Your gps/google map would be your best friend here.

9.After you get a phone,the next thing is to open an account at the nearest bank and get a working debit card (naija MasterCard would work too if you have money in it). Everything here is paid preferably through POS terminals using your debit cards.

10. Also get used to coins. you'll be needing them more often than you think.

That's all for now, would try to update as much as possible as i make more observations. I hope i have save some of you some serious money by these tips.

Cheers.

57 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 7:35pm On Sep 08, 2013
Siga: ....Sigma bi ti bawo....8th letter of the Greek Alphabet niyen now... Siga ni ooo...
......oga siga i kinda like dat name sir...i av also bin lookin for a second name 4 u cuz u sef call me Chrigogo.....Tanx itiboribo 4 cuming up wit one.....but i aint oga oo....am just here to help which is wat i luv doing.....Ur bro will surely get his trv by God's grace.....mehn!! I luv dat Sigma name grin.....

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Onyeoma3: 7:37pm On Sep 08, 2013
@ Nuendo: Page bookmarked...thanx a lot bro...we pray for more of this.

I really learnt some kul stuffs just now...

May God bless you in all your endeavours over there...

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 8:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
....Notice to great men and women of this great forum.... i bring to ur notice with love in my heart concerning Nuendo's post....please understand that any time Nuendo's post show face, its always in Epistle....we have all cum to live with that as a normal phenomenon but please always make use of the @ sign if u find Nuendo's Epistle so thrilling to u.....@azeezwl i tink dis is the best time u put dat ya @ sign into use....@papa km i knw i recently advice u to use the quote but please make use of the @ sign whenever u see Nuendo's post cuz its always long like longthroat........@Nuendo i feel u sir....useful and helpful info....i Luv ya...No homo grin......
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 08, 2013

Oga Zigima, I hail o. grin
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Siga: 8:19pm On Sep 08, 2013
Jekyll & Hyde:

Oga Zigima, I hail o. grin
...be very careful SIAMESE ooo...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by azeezwl: 8:20pm On Sep 08, 2013
@ Maazi ChriCome, I don hear.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
Siga: ...be very careful SIAMESE ooo...

Loool. Abeg o
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by azeezwl: 8:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
Siga: ...be very careful SIAMESE ooo...

Maazi Siga you gotta mail
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ChriGo(m): 8:32pm On Sep 08, 2013
azeezwl: @ Maazi ChriCome, I don hear.
....hmmm!!!....

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Siga: 8:37pm On Sep 08, 2013
azeezwl:

Maazi Siga you gotta mail
...No mail ...na only NL notification bro...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by azeezwl: 8:48pm On Sep 08, 2013

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by GboyegaD(m): 8:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
ChriGo: ....Damn!!...it means gala cant be taken along.....how were u able to smuggle urs in sir?....dont wana leave naija without chairman Fhemmy gala ooo....tanx....

Gala isn't an exception however, it depends on the discretion of the immigration officer at your point of entry.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by GboyegaD(m): 8:54pm On Sep 08, 2013
shayi12: please can i carry along fried meat?we jst had a massive party and meat plenty die,dnt wanna miss ds one!!!lol

You can risk it but declare it. There is a high possibility that it will be collected from you sha.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Siga: 8:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
GboyegaD:

You can risk it but declare it. There is a high possibility that it will be collected from you sha.
...If dem stop u...tell them GboyegaD tell u to carry am....dem go free u...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by 1stcindy: 9:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
@Chrigo, live-in-caregiver is a Canadian word for house help or maid. it got nothing to do with nurse or doctor
ChriGo: ......not a guru bro but got tiny idea.....Please wat do u need a sponsor for?....Live in caregiver is sort of like going to work in canny....u would b given a temporary work permit.....the requirement is for u to provide ur arranged employment detail in canny as a caregiver,document of proof of profession in the field of caregiver e.g a nurse,doctor,e.t.c....reference letter frm ur formal and current employer and the company,document proving any professional training as a caregiver...the proof of education (certificate,transcript,e.t.c)...police clearance...birth cert of u and ur children's(if any)....marriage cert....and ofcourse small kudi,ego,owo in ur account.....so i dont know how sponsor cums into dis....Are u a nurse or a doc? E.t.c.....then u should be eligible....if u av gotten ur arranged employment in canny already...congrats.....i tink dis is a gud route for sum1 in d medical field to live and work in canny....Permanent resident too na sure tin......
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by 1stcindy: 9:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
live-in-caregiver is the same as housemaid in Canada. you will live in the home of your employers and be doing house work, as well as taking care of their kids.
sexymma1: Am not a doc or nursse. Someone is trying to go there through ЪŦ route, and I was telling him earlier is a waste of time, considering the fact he is not in the medical field and an agent is saying he should bring close to 1.5M to get all necessary documents
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by sampitts(m): 9:08pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hello everyone! I've been observing from afar ooo.... The 3 months left before I travel is now becoming to long in my eyes oo... Especially with all how fall guys are leaving

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Siga: 9:14pm On Sep 08, 2013
sampitts: Hello everyone! I've been observing from afar ooo.... The 3 months left before I travel is now becoming to long in my eyes oo... Especially with all how fall guys are leaving
... How come u dey wait for 3months... Na January ur class dey start?..
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by sampitts(m): 9:19pm On Sep 08, 2013
Siga: ... How come u dey wait for 3months... Na January ur class dey start?..
Yes oga. I been tell u abt the diferment to January due to unavailability of scholarship for september
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Siga: 9:54pm On Sep 08, 2013
sampitts: Yes oga. I been tell u abt the diferment to January due to unavailability of scholarship for september
.... Bro... no mind me.... the cold for this country dey make brain freeze small.... I hardly remember ni....lol... only if na money matter grin
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by sampitts(m): 10:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
@ oga siga.. I undastand. Money dey make d brain warm so notin lyk cold
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by azeezwl: 10:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
Siga: .... Bro... no mind me.... the cold for this country dey make brain freeze small.... I hardly remember ni....lol... only if na money matter grin

but money matters should make the freezing less severe.lol. i've replied your mail sir
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by shayi12: 10:07pm On Sep 08, 2013
I normally take fried beef along wen goin 2 uk bt never declared it tho.it saved me a lot of stress wen I dint knw ma way back den and wen I wasn't used 2 d meal plan over dere.dts y I wanna take it along 2 canny also 2 help me out.
Siga: ...If dem stop u...tell them GboyegaD tell u to carry am....dem go free u...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by 1stcindy: 10:08pm On Sep 08, 2013
your friend will find this link useful as well. http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/caregiver/
sexymma1: Am not a doc or nursse. Someone is trying to go there through ЪŦ route, and I was telling him earlier is a waste of time, considering the fact he is not in the medical field and an agent is saying he should bring close to 1.5M to get all necessary documents
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by kjbobo: 10:10pm On Sep 08, 2013
Really wanted to gloss over this but I feel I should share this Faithfulness of God....with the sole aim of lifting someone spirit's back home!
I have a Nigerian prof in my Faculty who I called back home that I had gotten my TRV....and he congratulated me and asked me how I was going to move....I never knew God had prepared a miracle for me.....late into the night...He bought my bus ticket(a 3-hr trip) from Calgary to Lethbridge, paid for it and also sent the ticket to me...we spoke on Phone and he said I aint staying in the Hotel that he had spoken to his wife.....I was going to stay with him....till I get a place.....interestingly.....my supervisor(white woman)....heard about the arrangement and said it was going to keep me at the airport too long(5hrs)...booked a red arrow for me....infact they were technically fighting over who to come pick me(I had to do division of Labor....my supervisor paying for my ticket and d nigerian prof(my lecturer too) picking me at station so as not to offend anyone(remember I have never met these guys before.....purely God's favor).I spent 5 days in his house and he was dropping me in school and taking
back home with the wife feeding me all through . Not to forget to mention when I was leaving Nigeria.i needed cash to make up what I needed to travel with.....and I tried sourcing but to no avail....my company ought to pay me normally but cos I left abruptly....I was expecting HR backlash(cos I was the best in my team.....and my figures were doing a lot of help).Plus it takes about a month normally to get your pay out benefits(multinational paperwork)but I got to the office and I was suprised the HR was willing to help me(repeatedly saying....."you are good guy that needs to be helped"...I knew it was God....cos I wasnt really close to her(i was outside lag).
By and large, I got my cheque less than 24 hours....and the pay was like 3 times what I was expecting....God dazed me........!
I am yet to spend a dime in school...even bus pass na free!
Got to faculty and was told my from September is over a $1000 for the next two years.....!
I am sharing this for us to know that God is still very much at work for those who trust him(like Oga Chrigo will say :He aint sleeping)!
Just let God see that He will take all the glory when it happens.....
My principle....If there's no space for God to do Show off......he wont show up!
Prov 3v3......trust in the Lord with all of your heart. ....dont try to figure things out on your own.......
sorry for the typos.....
I just hope someone's faith in God has been lifted!
Much love!

me back home all through....with the wife feeding me all through....infact I had to quickly get a place and moved out cos the care was too much(I had to apologize to them I was leaving).

I am yet to spend a dime in school....even bus ticket na free....Got to school and found out my GTA is gonna be over a $1000.
Not to forget to mention when I was leaving...I needed extra cash....but couldn't get...I had entitlement with my company...but it normally takes two months to get paid...plus I was leaving abruptly(less than a month's notice) so I was expecting a backlash from HR( cos I was the best in my team before resigning)

7 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by papakm(m): 10:12pm On Sep 08, 2013
wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (444)

General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / Travelling To Canada Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.