Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,263 members, 7,846,235 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (173) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (488969 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:25pm On Jul 03, 2013
Blankcheque: I had my interview today in Abuja but it was inconclusive as I was handed a form 221(g) and the VO said they will contact me. Here is how it went: VO: hi, how are u? ME: Fine, tx VO:pls pass me ur doc me: passed them Vo: u re going to Texas for? Me: msc Vo: how did u find out about the school? Me: a professional colleague who earned a Phd from the school recommended to me and I also did some online research VO: OK! I could see u av some scholarship, who's paying for the rest? Me: my dad vo: can I av his bank statement? Me: gave it to her Vo: scrutinize d statement for about 30 secs, started typing then said I can't make a decision on ur application now. I will call u. Then retain the statement of account which has over 11M and my ds160 confirmation and gave me a form 221(g) on which she wrote we will contact you and returnd my passport and other documents. I later checkd online d implication of d form which I found out it was a 'soft' denial issued when a consular couldn't make a decision. My dillema now is: my schl resumes next month and since I couldnt tell when she will contact me, I need ur advice on what I shld do. Should I reapply now or wait until the embassy contacts me? Pls, gurus, I need all the help I can get. I Wait!

This is quite strange. I have a couple of questions for you.
1) What bank was that the bank statement was bearing?
2) Is your bank statement the arrangee type (aka oluwole)?
3) How much does your school require?

I sense your case might be that of bank statement verification. Maybe she doubts the authenticity of it and wants to verify it from the bank. And if your answer to number 2 question is yes, she may alert other VOs and then subsequent applicants' bank statements will be scrutinized.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 9:30pm On Jul 03, 2013
Blankcheque: I had my interview today in Abuja but it was inconclusive as I was handed a form 221(g) and the VO said they will contact me. Here is how it went: VO: hi, how are u? ME: Fine, tx VO:pls pass me ur doc me: passed them Vo: u re going to Texas for? Me: msc Vo: how did u find out about the school? Me: a professional colleague who earned a Phd from the school recommended to me and I also did some online research VO: OK! I could see u av some scholarship, who's paying for the rest? Me: my dad vo: can I av his bank statement? Me: gave it to her Vo: scrutinize d statement for about 30 secs, started typing then said I can't make a decision on ur application now. I will call u. Then retain the statement of account which has over 11M and my ds160 confirmation and gave me a form 221(g) on which she wrote we will contact you and returnd my passport and other documents. I later checkd online d implication of d form which I found out it was a 'soft' denial issued when a consular couldn't make a decision. My dillema now is: my schl resumes next month and since I couldnt tell when she will contact me, I need ur advice on what I shld do. Should I reapply now or wait until the embassy contacts me? Pls, gurus, I need all the help I can get. I Wait!

They do random check on applications. Most VOs seldom do this anyways. You only happen to meet a crazy one today. You are fine if all your documents are genuine. They will only call you to come and submit your passport after verification. If otherwise, nothing less than 10years ban.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by risherris: 9:31pm On Jul 03, 2013
my first interviw.....
me:gm
vo:gm pass docs pls
how many schools did you applied to?
me:mentioned 3
Vo:how many siblings do you have?
me:metioned
vo:asked for school location
me:told him every thing incliding zip code(lol) grin
vo:asked for the name of ma kid sis
me:told him
vo(typed for about 20secs
who is sponsoring your trip
me:mum,oil marketer,owns filling stations and make diesel delivery
vo......ok,started typing again
he didnt even say he was gonna deny me cos he looked at me with pity and i was smiling when he handed the 214b form to me and he said i should go and read through

my second interview......
vo:very nice man....in fact i should have gotten the visa for that same last spring after three weeks of previous interview.good morning and how are you doing?
me:oh ...awesome
me:pass docs pls....he was in a very happy mood.but after entering my data ,he saw i was denied three weeks ago and his mood changed sincerely,he was trying to put a new vo through how to conduct interviews,so i know he is a very happy mood.he just said immediately that he wasnt the one that denied me that hes not in the position to make a decision right now and he handed over to me a denial form and after that he asked why i was denied the last time and i told him my mum was sick and i guess i wasnt composed,so he asked me how she doing and i told him she is fine now that she has been discharged from the hospital

my last interview just two days ago....
was interviewed by the first interviewer
vo:gm,pass docs please
me gm
vo:why are you going to the us?
me:to obtain a b.sc
vo:what attracted you to that location
me:i was talking about my school and he said .....
vo:no,im not asking about the school,location
me:i have not been to the us i only know the location of my school
vo:ok
what do you do for a living
me:im a student, im not working
vo:how will this course be of help to you?
me:told him and added i will take uo a lecturing job in a good nigerian university after returning to nigeria
vo:said something funny ....who says you are going to return after your degree?,i did not answer him becos he was muttering those words and i heard clearly...whose sponsoring your trip?
me:my mum ...blah blah
and he handed over to me a denial slip and he said at this time he cant issue me a visa...but the form says i can re apply at any time by submitting a new application and......other stuffs i explained previously.....thanks.
bigfrancis21:

Hello Rish,
It would be of great benefit to you if you can take the time out and recall your interview experience word for word and post here. This will enable the house to review and know where to start helping you from and how. Please post your actual responses to the VO's questions because in your responses lies the key to your problem. Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
OjaP:

They do random check on applications. Most VOs seldom do this anyways. You only happen to meet a crazy one today. You are fine if all your documents are genuine. They will only call you to come and submit your passport after verification. If otherwise, nothing less than 10years ban.
grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 9:56pm On Jul 03, 2013
Please I need help o, my sponsor gave me the package from the bank which contain the stmt of account and letter of recommendation but the envelop is sealed and addressed to the embassy and it is written on it CONFIDENTIAL. Should I open it or I take it to the embassy like that?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Laidexx: 9:57pm On Jul 03, 2013
Hello guys,
This thread was introduced to me by a friend and I must say its very informative.. Thumbs up! I am in the process of booking an appointment date. Praying hard I can still get one for July. Is one allowed to have more than one sponsor? My dad and uncle are my sponsors and both have funds greater than what's stated on my I-20.. Please I'd like to know if having two sponsors could work against me . Someone should kindly answer my question. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Walspring: 10:05pm On Jul 03, 2013
wabi_wabi_91:

Thanks for the protip. I've checked Emirates and you were right- Lagos to Houston was around US$1k. Those Delta guys are not even serious.

@ ALL: If any dates for Lagos become available please let me know.

you welcome... date should be available this Friday.. my advise that you keep checking around 9 to 11am in the morning or call embassy careline
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 10:07pm On Jul 03, 2013
bigfrancis21:

This is quite strange. I have a couple of questions for you.
1) What bank was that the bank statement was bearing?
2) Is your bank statement the arrangee type (aka oluwole)?
3) How much does your school require?

I sense your case might be that of bank statement verification. Maybe she doubts the authenticity of it and wants to verify it from the bank. And if your answer to number 2 question is yes, she may alert other VOs and then subsequent applicants' bank statements will be scrutinized.

Bros, you are funny!!! No be today VOs dey see fake documents na...lol. I believe she will just let it slide and move on, they see it everyday. I don't think that will push them to scrutinize anyone who comes for interview. All the same, I don't think the guy in question submitted a fake document. They may just want to verify some other things including his name or admission. Or want to clear some things if his name popped up in their system during the interview.

@ Blankcheque - Have you visited the embassy in the past?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ivory23456(f): 10:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
fidelia.john:
my sponsor gave me the package from the bank which contain the stmt of account and letter of recommendation but the envelop is sealed and addressed to the embassy and it is written on it CONFIDENTIAL. Should I open it or I take it to the embassy like that?

You'll be asked to open all sealed envelops before you enter the embassy. You can as well open now or chill till you get there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Walspring: 10:14pm On Jul 03, 2013
eucharia64: Please who Knows how many hours is Lagos to Los Angeles?

almost 18 to 22 hours... Nah California your schoool dey?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ivory23456(f): 10:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
Please I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
What other vaccines apart from the yellow fever vaccination am i required to take before I enter the US?
Anyone have an idea?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bones007: 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2013
please house i have a question, I will be flying emirate to new York and my school is in west Virginia, is it advisable to book the flight from new York to west Virginia prior to my arrival in new York, or i should just go and book the ticket on their decks in new York airport. please which one is much convenience?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jul 03, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Hahaha. What's up with the smileys? grin You don't understand what I wrote? Lol

I don't lipsrsealed
Not even one word!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by risherris: 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2013
the point is...try to open it up,you will not be allowed to go in with a sealed envelope at the check point.try open it up and understand what the statement is really saying becos you might be asked to defend it.the consular might ask you how much your sponsor makes annually,do not let what you say contradict the amount in your statement.so try open it up and understand statement inside out.confidential in the sense that when an outsider picks it up,he/she should not check what is inside parcel.
fidelia.john:
Please I need help o, my sponsor gave me the package from the bank which contain the stmt of account and letter of recommendation but the envelop is sealed and addressed to the embassy and it is written on it CONFIDENTIAL. Should I open it or I take it to the embassy like that?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:37pm On Jul 03, 2013
I.Joan:

I don't lipsrsealed
Not even one word!

grin
Thought you were Igbo?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 10:46pm On Jul 03, 2013
Good eve house, please has anyone gone to the embassy with diamondbank statement. Diamondbank printed my sponsor statement on a normal A4 paper, the logo appeared on black n white but each page of the statement was stamped and the officer signed the first and last page of the statement.
Can I take the statement like to the embassy or do I. Go back to the bank to print another 1 on their letterhead.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:51pm On Jul 03, 2013
bones007: please house i have a question, I will be flying emirate to new York and my school is in west Virginia, is it advisable to book the flight from new York to west Virginia prior to my arrival in new York, or i should just go and book the ticket on their decks in new York airport. please which one is much convenience?

The state of Virginia as a state is closer to West Virginia than New york, as you can see on the map below. The Washington Dulles international airport (IAD) is located in Virginia, which Emirates flies to and is very cheap ($851), and cheaper than flying to New york. Virginia shares boundary with West Virginia and if you've not yet booked, I'll suggest you fly from Lagos to IAD airport, Virginia, you'll then take bus (the Greyhound Bus) from WV to VA or you could take the train. Will save you a whole lot of whooping cash and expenses. You'll also get to enjoy the scenery and Wi-fi of the GreyHound bus. cool

Maryland is even closer to WV than New York. It has an airport (BWI - Baltimore Washington International Airport) which emirates also flies to. The flight to Baltimore, MD from Lagos is also cheap ($856). You could also fly to Baltimore then take the bus to West Virginia(WV).

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:56pm On Jul 03, 2013
obsy2020: Good eve house, please has anyone gone to the embassy with diamondbank statement. Diamondbank printed my sponsor statement on a normal A4 paper, the logo appeared on black n white but each page of the statement was stamped and the officer signed the first and last page of the statement.
Can I take the statement like to the embassy or do I. Go back to the bank to print another 1 on their letterhead.

That's how they usually prepare their bank statements. You're good to go with it, bro. No worries.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by favourland: 10:56pm On Jul 03, 2013
Good day everyone. Please where can I get reliable and cheap ticket booking to the States? Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:58pm On Jul 03, 2013
OjaP:

Bros, you are funny!!! No be today VOs dey see fake documents na...lol. I believe she will just let it slide and move on, they see it everyday. I don't think that will push them to scrutinize anyone who comes for interview. All the same, I don't think the guy in question submitted a fake document. They may just want to verify some other things including his name or admission. Or want to clear some things if his name popped up in their system during the interview.

grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 11:00pm On Jul 03, 2013
favourland: Good day everyone. Please where can I get reliable and cheap ticket booking to the States.

Emirates all the way. http://fly4.emirates.com

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 11:01pm On Jul 03, 2013
risher ris: the point is...try to open it up,you will not be allowed to go in with a sealed envelope at the check point.try open it up and understand what the statement is really saying becos you might be asked to defend it.the consular might ask you how much your sponsor makes annually,do not let what you say contradict the amount in your statement.so try open it up and understand statement inside out.confidential in the sense that when an outsider picks it up,he/she should not check what is inside parcel.

The acct is not his salary acct, so am collecting his pay slip. So wen asked of his annual income wht should I say?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OlaJesu18: 11:10pm On Jul 03, 2013
fidelia.john:
Hello, i think you should open it because the VO wont open any sealed package you present to them. Make a wise decision, addressing it to them is not what they need.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Blankcheque: 11:11pm On Jul 03, 2013
OjaP:

OjaP:

OjaP:

I haven't been to the US embassy b4. I think the VOs were just crazy today. All through my stay in there, no student visa ws grantd. I believe she shld av denied me just like others b4 me who she didnt even ask for any documents b4 denials. The bank statement is genuine and my interview went well until this part. I just want u gurus to advise me if I shld keep expecting their call while I risk losing my admission or I shld reapply while awaiting their call. Pls, am so sorry if am nt detaild enough. Am using my small fone.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by risherris: 11:14pm On Jul 03, 2013
ok,since it is not his salary account,just check the statement,check the closing balance,it all depends on amount as at end of statement.they really check fluctuation of statement when they stare at it for long,while some of the vo are only interested in the closing balance
fidelia.john:

The acct is not his salary acct, so am collecting his pay slip. So wen asked of his annual income wht should I say?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 11:22pm On Jul 03, 2013
Blankcheque: [color=#000099][/color] I haven't been to the US embassy b4. I think the VOs were just crazy today. All through my stay in there, no student visa ws grantd. I believe she shld av denied me just like others b4 me who she didnt even ask for any documents b4 denials. The bank statement is genuine and my interview went well until this part. I just want u gurus to advise me if I shld keep expecting their call while I risk losing my admission or I shld reapply while awaiting their call. Pls, am so sorry if am nt detaild enough. Am using my small fone.

You don't have to re-apply. They will get back to you as promised, she only wants to verify all you submitted. They know you have to resume on time, so they will work with you. Don't panic at all. If I were you, I will start writing the embassy tomorrow about my case and resumption date. Don't forget to quote your passport number, confirmation code on the DS 160 and the rest when communicating with them. All the best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by risherris: 11:22pm On Jul 03, 2013
the point here is, the is no way the vo can confirm the geniuty of a statement cos i dont think the bank can supply your account information to them.guess she is going through a tough time due to large volume of applicant .she might call you tomorrow morning.
Blankcheque: [color=#000099][/color] I haven't been to the US embassy b4. I think the VOs were just crazy today. All through my stay in there, no student visa ws grantd. I believe she shld av denied me just like others b4 me who she didnt even ask for any documents b4 denials. The bank statement is genuine and my interview went well until this part. I just want u gurus to advise me if I shld keep expecting their call while I risk losing my admission or I shld reapply while awaiting their call. Pls, am so sorry if am nt detaild enough. Am using my small fone.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 11:23pm On Jul 03, 2013

If you say the bank statement is genuine, then you have no reason to fear. She'll definitely call you as she said. Of course, she has to return your bank statement. Expect her call between tomorrow and the next 3 days.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by risherris: 11:24pm On Jul 03, 2013
i dont know if anyone has noticed this, vo s dont check documents again,all through my stay at the embassy,pple interviewed did not show any documents to the vo...all through
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by risherris: 11:32pm On Jul 03, 2013
please house what is going on?i have not been able to book an appointment at the abuja embassy .i have been checking since afternoon but it is currently displaying no dates.did anyone book today?abuja [color=#006600][/color]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OlaJesu18: 11:33pm On Jul 03, 2013
nigerianphoenix: VO: Hi! How are you?
Me: Fine, thank you.
VO: Pass me your documents
(he looks through the documents and types some things on the computer. Another VO walks up to him and they discuss something for about a minute)
VO: Sorry for the delay. So you're applying for a student visa?
Me: Yes, I am
VO: And you're going to <insert name of top 5 US university here>
Me: Yes, I am.
VO: That's a great school
Me: (smiling) Thank you (Don't ask me what I was thanking him for. I was nervous)
VO: And they gave you great financial aid. Why do you think they did that?
Me: It was based on academic merit and financial need.
VO: You want to study liberal arts and sciences.
Me: Well, yes. But, I plan to major in biological chemistry with a focus on endocrinology.
VO: Wow, and what will you use that for?
Me: I want to work on the use of hormonal therapy to cure psychological disorders such as schizophrenia.
VO: (Nods.) That's great. So you're 17?
Me: yes, I am.
VO: (Looks behind me) And that's your dad?
Me: Yes.
VO: Ok. Congratulations. Your visa application has been approved. And you can soo sooo (I stopped listening after congratulations)
Me: Thank you very much
Congratulations on your visa, please if i may ask what university are you going again ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OlaJesu18: 11:34pm On Jul 03, 2013
nigerianphoenix: VO: Hi! How are you?
Me: Fine, thank you.
VO: Pass me your documents
(he looks through the documents and types some things on the computer. Another VO walks up to him and they discuss something for about a minute)
VO: Sorry for the delay. So you're applying for a student visa?
Me: Yes, I am
VO: And you're going to <insert name of top 5 US university here>
Me: Yes, I am.
VO: That's a great school
Me: (smiling) Thank you (Don't ask me what I was thanking him for. I was nervous)
VO: And they gave you great financial aid. Why do you think they did that?
Me: It was based on academic merit and financial need.
VO: You want to study liberal arts and sciences.
Me: Well, yes. But, I plan to major in biological chemistry with a focus on endocrinology.
VO: Wow, and what will you use that for?
Me: I want to work on the use of hormonal therapy to cure psychological disorders such as schizophrenia.
VO: (Nods.) That's great. So you're 17?
Me: yes, I am.
VO: (Looks behind me) And that's your dad?
Me: Yes.
VO: Ok. Congratulations. Your visa application has been approved. And you can soo sooo (I stopped listening after congratulations)
Me: Thank you very much

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.