Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,045 members, 7,866,948 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 08:45 AM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41939 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ACM10: 11:43am On Mar 24, 2013
~Bluetooth:

1. Did you know how many times fela went to jail

2. because he challenged the long years of military rule ?

3. Well ask Mitchell Obama what she saw in Fela to have bumped into his anniversary party last year and acknowledged his greatness !

4. Fuckingmoron

1. So being a jailbird is an achievement? cheesy cheesy

2. What does he achieve after criticizing the military?

3. Ask Mandela, Jacob Zuma, Soyinka, and all the literary icons around the world why the acknowledged Achebe's greatness.

4. You are a bigger mo.ron

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ypzilanti: 11:49am On Mar 24, 2013
You guys are so silly.

By your reasoning:

I am an Igbo man who loves Fela for his fight against successive military regimes by his actions and music. Now if Fela released a memoir tommorrow attacking Ojukwu or Azikiwe and called them bigots with his PERSONAL interpretation of certain actions, I should then go outside and burn his CDs. Ha ha ha. You guys are pathetic. Pathetic bigots.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:49am On Mar 24, 2013
django1:
You're too misinformed or just being obtuse!
What don't you know about the 20pounds policy? Is it that its an ex gratia that is given to all ibos (who came out of the civl war) across board not some remittances of their bank account! Those who had proven bank statments got their money, abi you want make fed govt dey dole out money to evey ibo man?
Your reasons for calling awo wicked is all borne out of ignorance and hatred fed you by your predecessors.

This is beyond the topic, but stop spreading falsehood with a false claim of knowledge or keep quiet if you do not know. My Grandfather sold off a fleet of Austin Lorries before the war and put his money in the bank, His Passbook is still kept in pristine conditions. He received only 20 pounds for his balance. After the war he had to become a Driver for one of his employees!

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 11:53am On Mar 24, 2013
KenGali:

This is beyond the topic, but stop spreading falsehood with a false claim of knowledge or keep quiet if you do not know. My Grandfather sold off a fleet of Austin Lorries before the war and put his money in the bank, His Passbook is still kept in pristine conditions. He received only 20 pounds for his balance. After the war he had to become a Driver for one of his employees!

Very painful, but the Igboman has shown they are unstoppable. We are proud of our position in Nigeria today.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ACM10: 11:54am On Mar 24, 2013
facideume: @OP,
I need not join the bandwagon in unleashing some venomous vituperations against your person. I believe you have fully received a lot of "insults" as you had rightly expected and anticipated. Your post totally stinks of abysmal ignorance of the person of Professor "Chinua Achebe" such that the only thing you made reference to was a book (Things Fall Apart) he wrote more than 45 years ago which has received numerous awards, and also translated into many major languages all over the world. I believe you first read the book as a teenager in secondary school, if i am not mistaken.

You are totally bereft of his professional experience and numerous positions in which he worked for the Nigerian state before the civil war started in 1967. Do you also know the capacities in which he continued to work for the Biafran nation after he fled from Lagos to save his life and that of his family, while working in a government establishment? Do you know the diplomatic missions he embarked upon for Biafra during that war? Do you know who was behind the famous Ahiara Declaration?

I believe Professor Chinua Achebe have rightly responded to pessimistic people like you in his recent book "There was a Country" but i also know that your utter resistance to knowledge, abysmal ignorance, and paralyzed sense of research will not let you read that book. In the same book, he answered his reason for rejecting the awards. Have you read his book "Problem with Nigeria"? A person who has not worked for Nigeria in different capacities cannot write an insightful and detailed book of that nature which continues to be relevant in modern day, Nigeria. In fact, you are part of the "problem with Nigeria" in the way and manner you have created this post. Why do you think he was given those awards that he vehemently rejected? Do you think it was only because of his literary works? The same amount of time you spent on the internet or on Nairaland typing this silly, annoying and provocative post would have been well invested on Google search about the highly respected Professor Chinua Achebe. I am not also in doubt that if anything happens to Professor Wole Soyinka tomorrow (God forbid) that someone like you won't come here to create similar post.
Reading maketh a man...even if you had the worst teachers in school due to the fallen standard of education in Nigeria you must learn to read! read!! read!!! SMH

The bolded summarizes the OP. They forgot that Achebe lectured in the department of General Studies of UNN and later became the professor of English and the HOD. Later was made an emeritus professor. The OP's question was akin to asking for the contribution of teachers to the national development. Achebe also worked as an administrator in Nigeria's civil service. I'm afraid that Nairaland has become an avenue for people to bare their ignorance and intellectual laziness.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 24, 2013
KenGali:

I'm not going to deny that injustices could have occurred during those days, but it is on record that 20pounds policy was not an exchange for bank accts and that people who had their money in eastern banks could not get their money because it had all been looted.
Well, am sorry for your loss, but is it awolowo you hold for that misfortune?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by kinguwem: 11:57am On Mar 24, 2013
Dede1:

You are one among many reasons Nigeria is a dead-end piece of junk. Achebe was and remained one of few major contributors to Africa’s progress. You are too ignorant to even begin to comprehend Achebe’s contribution to the progress of entire African continent. In USA, authors of text books that hold rare knowledge are valued more than an idiotic politician who claimed to have granted free education, built TV Station, roads, bridges or stadia by using public fund. An author used his\her natural endowment, time and money to publish books so that drooling airheads such you had the opportunity to spew crap.

If moronic dingbats such as you had followed a bit of Achebe’s preaching and forget the never-do-well structure on a sandy foundation such as Nigeria, the region would have experienced explosion of progress and mutual corporations among nation states rather than ethnical and sectarian massacres prevalent in Nigeria today.

I shall never want to have you as a compatriot.
You have deviated from the issue raised by the writer. Achebe was a great writer & poet. He was a great scholar. The problem with our great scholars is abandoning home for foreign lands when they face challenges. Who will develop our country when our great men run abroad for safety & greener pastures?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ikeyman00(m): 11:58am On Mar 24, 2013
django
I'm not going to deny that injustices could have occurred during those days, but it is on record that 20pounds policy was not an exchange for bank accts and that people who had their money in eastern banks could not get their money because it had all been looted.

hmm another oliver twist
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ichidodo: 11:59am On Mar 24, 2013
Now the whole World can attest to the fact that the yorubas are the most tribalistic set of humans in the world. I want to say a special thanks to the O.P,IDI-EKO,BAYOKANU,YELLOW-TEETH,YOROOBA OMO-ODO and their minions for makin this very possible. You guys are a disgrace to name yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Truckpusher(m): 12:00pm On Mar 24, 2013
ROSSIKE: Can we all get along? undecided
I'm sorry we can't ......how can we get along when you have the two major tribes of this country engaging themselves in a shameless war of words filled with ethnic bigotry,hateful and derogatory languages that will incite hatred which will even make an insane man question their insanity? funny enough they all went to school ,then my question is what is the essence of educating these youths that can't contribute positively in a mere forum how much more to the nation at large?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ikeyman00(m): 12:03pm On Mar 24, 2013
^^^^ all that for saying the truth and man daughter married to oduduwa undecided
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Mar 24, 2013
olufunmibi: Well for me it just happened that I've never read any of Chinua Achebe's books, my elderly sibblings did, because it was the fad in their days, but history effectively told us that he is a great literary icon,he was a strategist during the biafran war, he received national honours and turned some down, and he wrote a book "there was a country" at age 81 or so which reignited generation old animosity, hatred, and disaffection between the Yorubas and the Igbos.[b]the book is a time bomb, it has a potential to cause carnage and bloodshed in the future, if the wound of ethnic hatred remained festering and fungating. For me, I regret that that book was written in the twilight of his life, it has not helped national unity, it has made us hate ourselves more. [/b]I read with disgust what people, the Igbos, write on this forum about my Patriach,Obafemi Awolowo. Never mind. It is what it is. You, your children, your Grand children will spend Naira, that name Naira, our Collective Monetary Identity as Nigerian was coined by Obafemi Awolowo, and please always remember to collect your N100 Change, that is Awo in your pocket. It is what it is! Obafemi Awolowo University Ile Ife, best University in Nigeria, is Awo's Brainchild, he was the Chancellor, it is what it is. If you are great, You are Great, it is just what it is! By the way I commiserate with you my Igbo compatriots on your loss, may God keep raising great men and men who foster peace and not divison among you. And may you one day again have a great leader, who you can all rally around, who can be your guiding light and lead your race to the greatness you always aspire to, not just people writing books causing fight among children on the internet. Accept my condolences.

Unbelievable,
You are not worried or regretful over occurrence of the actual evil that the book alleges, rather you are worried that the book makes such allegation! Which is the evil?
You are more concerned about the image of your so called Patriarch, and we are to celebrate him for the name naira? What if the money was called "peanuts" will it make any differences? I will still be forced to use it you know.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ikeyman00(m): 12:11pm On Mar 24, 2013
^^^ and u think u are making sense

right if we heard u well u used ALLEGE now what happenes if u eventually come to know that late Achebe is still telling the truth?

apology will never be good enuff; denouncing ur oduduwa affiliation is the best we will accept

having a keyboard in front of u should not translate to typing NONE SENSE

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 12:11pm On Mar 24, 2013
Truckpusher: I'm sorry we can't ......how can we get along when you have the two major tribes of this country engaging themselves in a shameless war of words filled with ethnic bigotry,hateful and derogatory languages that will incite hatred which will even make an insane man question their insanity? funny enough they all went to school ,then my question is what is the essence of educating these youths that can't contribute positively in a mere forum how much more to the nation at large?

We can never be one, all attempts to unite us will always backfire, till we listen to the wisdom of Ojukwu. We shall continue to fight till we part, peacefully of in strife.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Bobandgreat: 12:12pm On Mar 24, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]
talktimi: as you were reading with disgust what the igbo people wrote about the late chief Awolowo, did you by any chance notice that it was your yoruba compatriots who started the tribal mudslingings on this thread ? Let's call a spade a spade & I would like you to go to the first page of this thread and see who started these tribal rantings then immediately the igbos respond, they are instantly called bigots. I'm neither yoruba or igbo but na wetin I see I dey yarn. cool

My brother Achebe did not ressurect age old animosity amongst Yorubas and Igbos. He only explained to the outside world why the animosity is there bevause it has always been there, he didn't ressurect anything.
Igbos see Yorubas as traitors, Hausa/Fulani see Yorubas as slaves, other tribes see Yorubas as canal minded bigots. Achebe only explained to outsiders that read his books why Igbos see Yorubas as traitors.
The book is meant to make u reflect on ur numerous sins during the war and offer a sympathetic voice. Do u expect Igbos to sweep it under the carpet and smile like chamelleon with u guys while waiting for when to strike u? Awolowo only tried to improve the lives of the Yorubas with the general wealth of the country and in the process instilled the culture of triabalism in you people. An average Yoruba man thinks of himself first, Yoruba tribe second, and to hell with others but in a coning way.

Nobody wants that kind of person as a friend. Just look at other tribes, sometimes they sacrifice for the betterment of others. If u people make a conscious effort to change, u will evrntually get there, but now u people reek of selfihness, deceit and tribalism.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 24, 2013
django1:

You are still being funny! Lets say the money in banks in Kano were looted during some bombing, do you turn around and tell the account holders that their money was looted now, they will only receive N20 naira each. Does it occur to you that the banks were different from govt. but we're forced by govt. to implement the twenty pounds policy. Why did the looted funds not affect the same banks in the north and west! stop the lies and lame excuses they cannot be defended.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by redsun(m): 12:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
The prolong press coverage achebe's death got from the world media,even the relatively obscure ones is tantamount to his greatness and achivements as a black man.

Not too many blackmen are respected by the conventional world. If gej kicks the bucket today,not even world mainstream media will talk about it for a minute,unless ofcourse he was killed in a bloody coup. Because they know he is a nuisance like most African leader. The death of a nuisance means blessings to the people.

Achebe,like mandela is a beacon that shines the light for the blind to see. A thorn in the flesh of evil and usupers
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 24, 2013
engineerd: HE HAS CONTRIBUTED TO CANNIBALISM...LOOK AT THE GUYS LIPS AND TEETH...ALL THOSE CHILDREN'S STORY BOOKS HE WROTE WHILE CHEWING ON FRIED HUMAN FLESH...

I swear you guys are madt here! grin grin grin grin

This got me LMAO..
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by IleIfe2(m): 12:21pm On Mar 24, 2013
Efikman: And what positive impact did Awolowo make in Nigeria (not yorubaland ohhh)

Awolowo in his position as the western premier did a lot, things the common Yoruba man felt, experienced, enjoyed and claimed ownership. e.g Education, agriculture, infrastructure, entertainment etc.

Awolowo in his position as the de-facto vice president ended the civil war and sent the rebels running to Cote d'Ivoire.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by hallengray(m): 12:25pm On Mar 24, 2013
Mr. Globe:

What more is there to be said. Nairaland is like a field where retartded individuals have the opportunity to display foolishness and relate with smart and intelligent folks. The Op will have such fraudsters as awolowo, Fashola and Tinubu as a hero and contributor to the development of Nigeria as against people like Achebe and Soyinka
Thanks for your response, that guy is retarded beyond comprehension. God bless u.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 12:27pm On Mar 24, 2013
Menh, instead of living with this amount of hatred for each other, this country should be divided. We can NEVER be ONE!

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ayd91(m): 12:32pm On Mar 24, 2013
Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria?

Not to my understanding.

He wrote books, poems and all soughts, he made Nigeria and Africa proud. He stood out to many as an Igbo man and probably" only carried the nigerian flag outside of Nigeria.

I believe he was one of the most respected igbo men this country has witnessed and would have gone a long way in unifying Nigeria if he had attempted Nigerianalizing the igbos. Sadly the opposite seemed to have been the case.

Frankly its a shame the non-igbos have a bad image of him. But mark me, we would all be the foolish ones if we let our ethnic sentiments affect our progress.
I am igbo, i am yoruba, i am hausa.
WHAT HAS THIS IDENTITY EVER DONE FOR YOU?
I look forward to the day when ethnic groups lose their value and importance..

Proudly Nigerian till the end.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ikeyman00(m): 12:33pm On Mar 24, 2013
@@@

the only thing that can unite us is the truth which u and me know some people hate the truth
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by snoopy(m): 12:34pm On Mar 24, 2013
gbaky_floor:

Apart from cultism what did Soyinka contribute to NATIONAL development?

Apart from making weed seem cool to youths, what did Fela contribute to NATIONAL development?

Answer these questions and you have the answer to Chinua Achebe's contribution!

What did soyinka contribute to NATIONAL development? Soyinka is a known social critic of the injustices meted out to the NIGERIAN masses by the government regardless of which ethnic segment is involved. He speaks the truth regardless of whose ox is gored. He was once a spokesman for the MEND when their struggle for justice was still upright and only withdrew when It assumed a criminal dimension. We all can't forget when MEND attacked the atlas cove facility in lagos and the OPC tried to put an ethnic coloration into it only for soyinka to dispel the words of his own kinsmen. He stands for the oppressed in an unabashed outspoken fashion and has stood by the ibos in times of their oppression (even you can't deny that).

What has fela contributed to NATIONAL development? Now I don't know if you asked that out of sheer ignorance or simply because you were high on cheap fruit punch. Fela was a thorn in the flesh of the military government...he exposed the monumental corruption, animalistic brutality and serial injustices of the military government to the outside world through his music, his mother was gruesomely murdered, he was serially beaten even up to the point of the threshold of death, he was jailed for his outspoken nature all in the fight for justice but still he stood resilient, resolute up to the point of his death. His bravery was a rallying point and source of inspiration to the suppressed masses. 15 years after his death his legacy is still very much alive. Stage plays to highlight his personality continue to gather numerous high profile awards and even his music defies time and still finds relevance in our time as the social malaise that was the fulcrum of his music is still rife! I doubt any other African can have such lastin legacy as him aside mandela. Asking such dumb question is like asking what bob marley has done to jamaicas development.

Now to the late prof, just like music, literature and writings are also powerful tools that can be used to monumental proportions and can cause a lot of havoc if used wrongly. In my opinion I think Achebe used this tool in a wrong fashion in his last piece, I wasn't born during the civil war and don't know much about it except for what I've read and heard about it BUT it was crystal clear from his last book that this man was still very much bitter and resolute in his ibo supremacist ideologies, a piece that further divides the country along ethnic lines. This is no meaningful contribution to NATIONAL development and is not in any way progressive. I like the man no doubt, and I respect him very much for his contributions in promotin Africa through his books and he is no less a great African than fela or soyinka but truth be told, he was a TRIBALIST not a NATIONALIST.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 12:34pm On Mar 24, 2013
vivian chinaza: Menh, instead of living with this amount of hatred for each other, this country should be divided. We can NEVER be ONE!

A great prophet saw this in 1967 and made attempts to split, (Ojukwu) but was betrayed. Lets continue in the hate, lets die fighting together grin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Antivirus92(m): 12:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

Sorry I don't write and peddle hate and bigotry books, your gran pa ashebe wrote enough to keep you hateful, bigoted and busy for the rest of your life.
retarded mind! What do you want achebe to do? To preach unity in a place that it is very certain that unity will never exist? Ekoile pls answer this question;is there peace in nigeria?, do u think that in the near future that peace will exist in nigeria?. Only a madmen find comfort in an uncomfortable place. It takes a stronger mind to say the "naked truth". It is obvious that with muslims and christians,hausas,yoruba,igbo,ijaw living together that peace will never exist. Only a fool deceive himself by hoping to see a peaceful nigeria. Nigeria and peace are just like-charges.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Mar 24, 2013
4chi:

You are absolutely correct on the fact that ashebe is nothing more than a ibo biafran. And that's all to him. So let the ibo biafran carry his crippled corpse and bury him in the evil forest like okonkwo his grandfather.

You are also absolutely correct that he doesn't owe yorubas any farthen, just like Awo did not owe biafrans any farthen by taking the most pragmatic decisions to end the Nigerian civil war quickly and bring your silly little republic to it's knees. One wonders then why ashebe was so bitter about that? I am sure he would do worse if he had the chance considering the volume of bitterness in his patently deranged psyche.

This is damn way too below the belt...why are you guys doing this to the Ibos...they are in a mourning period...give them the grace to do that without adding more to their sorrow.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by roxell120(m): 12:39pm On Mar 24, 2013
who are behind these letters on this thread? crabs, scorpions, bats, snakes, cangaroos ;Dwho are behind these letters on this thread? crabs, scorpions, bats, snakes, cangaroos.replying their opinion here is nothing but a waste of time. achebe has left his foot print on the sand of time. what about u? think about dat.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 12:41pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

A great prophet saw this in 1967 and made attempts to split, (Ojukwu) but was betrayed. Lets continue in the hate, lets die fighting together grin

No! Seriously its not funny. Minds of millions of people are being poisoned against each other via this politics section. The hatred I see here and what it is doing to us is very scary.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 24, 2013
vivian chinaza: Menh, instead of living with this amount of hatred for each other, this country should be divided. We can NEVER be ONE!

Bring knife ..make we divide am! grin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 12:45pm On Mar 24, 2013
ilugunboy:

Bring knife ..make we divide am! grin

grin grin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 24, 2013
manny4life:

Dude, you overall thinking is GROSSLY FLAWED, but open another thread on that, and then send me a message. I will meet u on there. As u can see, the mods hid the posts and my lengthy post addressed all your concerns. Like I said, open another thread, not on this one.
My friend i already have a thread on that which was opened sometime two weeks ago.You guys can meet there.
https://www.nairaland.com/1228202/what-part-country-experience-rapid

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (37) (Reply)

Oshiomhole And His Wife, Iara At US Event Yesterday) (Photos) / Uwazuruike Apologises To The North; Says Protests Politically Motivated / Tinubu To Ayade: I’m Your Senior Brother, Respect My Presidential Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.