Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,145 members, 7,842,290 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41822 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by sweetandsubtle: 2:45pm On Mar 24, 2013
Re u an igbo person??ofkos not...i dnt want 2 go into wat he did 4 d country...but i jst want 2 correct sumtin...he rejected d award cos he didnt want 2 enter dia dirty game of politics by selling his integrity

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
Baby mama:

I am glad he said it
He probably also recognizes the evil in his own people well
He is so unlike them
Does not share any Yoruba attributes besides place of origin

Soyinka is a gracious man, you can tell from when he was younger and even went to jail defending ibos. Achebe on the other hand was nothing like Soyinka, he cared only about his Ibo people, while everyone else was jealous and out to get them.

May God bless Soyinka and I pray ibos will not repay him as they did Banjo and as they are trying to do to the memory of Fajuyi.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 2:51pm On Mar 24, 2013
I see some yoruba peeps crying tribalism, though it was introduced by them. I see igbo peeps shouting tribalism. It shows we all hate tribalism. So what can we do about it? I pray we can truly integrate to develop this great country of ours

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 2:53pm On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem: [size=14pt]It is clear we have a very big problem with this nation. NO ONE COULD ANSWER A CLEAR CUT QUESTION WITHOUT INSULTS.

They ramble with no answer. See stu.pidity[/size]

This does not change my views and respect to the great writer Achebe. I still respect him as a man. So no one should view my CLEAR direct question as disrespect for Achebe.

To be fair to you, I dont see your inability to see the impact Achebe made as stupidity on your part. Instead I see it a an eloquent testimony on the failed educational standards which has warped the minds of most average Nigerians and blinded them with ethnic hatred. I only feel pity for you, no hard feelings cool

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 2:58pm On Mar 24, 2013
Aigbofa:

Soyinka is a gracious man, you can tell from when he was younger and even went to jail defending ibos. Achebe on the other hand was nothing like Soyinka, he cared only about his Ibo people, while everyone else was jealous and out to get them.

May God bless Soyinka and I pray ibos will not repay him as they did Banjo and as they are trying to do to the memory of Fajuyi.

Soyinka's father is an Igboman, thats why he behaves differently.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by shizzle11(m): 2:59pm On Mar 24, 2013
nnenna.1:
The only media outlets vilifying Achebe are Nigerian sites such as this one.

No wonder the country will forever remain the a*shole of Africa.

Baby mama:

That is why the country is a load of poo
And the only group vilifying him is the group labelled by non Igbos as the problem with Nigeria
The rascals of Nigeria

The chief tribalists of Nigeria
The introducers of tribalism in Nigerian politics and everywhere they go
And now slowly becoming part of boko haram as their brothers sign up with al queda

Is anyone surprised?

Not at all!
I couldn't agree any less
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Soyinka's father is an Igboman, thats why he behaves differently.

I see.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ypzilanti: 3:01pm On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem: [size=14pt]It is clear we have a very big problem with this nation. NO ONE COULD ANSWER A CLEAR CUT QUESTION WITHOUT INSULTS.

They ramble with no answer. See stu.pidity[/size]

This does not change my views and respect to the great writer Achebe. I still respect him as a man. So no one should view my CLEAR direct question as disrespect for Achebe.

As someone said: there are no foolish questions, just foolish people.

Your questtion has been answered severally on this platform, both with and without insults.

Try and be in the top 50 of anything in this world, and you would have contributed your own quota to national development. Leave Chinua alone. If he has done nothing for you, at least he has made you proud to be a Nigerian last week as the accolades rolled out. Now, go and tell your Local government administrator, or President to also do their own work. Countries all over the world celebrate the best people that they have.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Mar 24, 2013
patrkq: Alll u bigoted, disgrunted, incoherent, partially educated, frustrated, hopeless and most importantly awkwardly tribalistic narrow minded southerners shud Bleep off...
The main idea the poster was trying to generate was that although chinua achebe was a literary genius, he neva channeled this talent into positively affecting nigeria....
Let's look at this analogy... Nigeria is suffering from a malignant tumour.. Now most Doctors know dat there is little hope, does dat mean we shud then kill nigeria.... NOOO. We continue to apply various theraupies in hope dat this will cure or improve the condition of the patient(nigeria)....
Achebe was a literary icon, but nothing more....datz all

Funny, when the lion is wounded, the rats declare war!
Since being a Literary Icon is a "just". So easy to achieve! Please what are you?
A Faceless finger on a keyboard mouthing words at a man whose sandals you are not worthy to untie!
You are so worried about his talent, what is your talent? Defecation?

Maybe this will help you: Achebe is not and does not claim to be a Doctor nor the solution to your Nigeria. he is a Biafrian in Heart who was forced to live with a Nigerian Passport. he owes you and Nigeria absolutely Nothing, not even allegiance as he lived the remainder of his life outside the cesspit. his achievement are for him and anyone one who cares for it, which happens to be the rest of the world. if you do not, stick to your drowning great one Nigeria!

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Mar 24, 2013
KenGali:

Funny, when the lion is wounded, the rats declare war!
Since being a Literary Icon is a "just". So easy to achieve! Please what are you?
A Faceless finger on a keyboard mouthing words at a man whose sandals you are not worthy to untie!
Don't mind the dimwit. See the way he casually said "Achebe was just a literary icon". Like say to become "literary icon" na beans or wetin person dey do for backyard. What a bunch of jokers.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Blueboy0402: 3:09pm On Mar 24, 2013
There was a country: a land of the rising sun. There was a country: a land of great intellectuals. There was a country: the home of Azikiwe, Chinua Achebe, Ojukwu, Emegwali, Chimamanda, king Jaja, Oludah Equino etc. There was a country: her citizens sacrificed their lives for freedom. There was a country: betrayed by her neighbours. There was a country: hated by many, loved by few.
RIP Chinua Achebe. Your book "There was a country" is indeed a parting gift to the world.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 3:12pm On Mar 24, 2013
4chi:

Yes,another Yoruba man indeed used the same school to achieve heights that the beret wearing ugly mofo can only dream of . His name is OLUWOLE SOYINKA . a man whose shoe lace your ashebe cannot tie. A master of prose, drama and poetry and not some tales by moonlight story teller whose primitive stories can only find leverage with Amos tutuolas palm wine drinkard.
I refuse to join issues with you as regards Wole Soyinka, the ONLY Yoruba man we respect and adore in Alaigbo. At the end of the day the stories you disparaged are the highest selling African made stories worldwide. You wouldn't know this since you are a victim of the free and fake awolowo education that has turned 80% of Yoruba people (you inclusive) to taxi drivers in all major Nigerian cities.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 24, 2013
Baby mama:

[size=18pt]They usually don't know much except insulting words
Matching them intellect for intellect is often an exercise in futility
Many including myself have answered the OP well on previous pages,picking his points bit by bit
They are not interested in facts
They are interested in heaping the most insults and parroting what they heard others say
That is the style of the area boys of Nigeria.
When words fail them as is often the case, they resort to agbero style
The only method that comes naturally and effortlessly to them
[/size]

This bolded is what many of the those folks here equate to quick wit and high intelligence.

Low class and gutter behavior.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 24, 2013
Aigbofa:

Any Igbo man that hates Soyinka is ignorant of history
Your generalizations are sick
The day he dies Igbos will mourn him loudly,I wish him long life
Banjo was killed in war for reasons best known to the killer
The same manner many Igbos soldiers were killed in the hands of Biafra for being saboteurs
Awo is what Awo is and that is what Chinua described him as
Nobody can take that label off him
If Awo and Yoruba are interchangeable words,the problem is with Yorubas not Chinua

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aryzgreat: 3:15pm On Mar 24, 2013
Stupid and cowardly ppl! Achebe is an internationaly acclaimed literary icon, wot percentage does yorugba constitute in the 6 billion world population that one shud worry about their rants? They are infinitesimal bunch of retarded cave animals! Who cares? Achebe's works speak for him, his passage to glory is still been aired on CNN and other international media houses unlike when AWO-ole died of frustration, only yorugba ppl mourn him cos he is a tribal leader not even a nationalist not to talk of Pan Africanists like Achebe. Amadioha ku kwa umu awo-ole ngwuro! Ndi ara!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 3:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
Any educated non-baised person would understand the QUESTION HERE AND THE ANSWER I AM GETTING

Question

What did Achebe do to improve/advocate to better the life of an average Nigerian

Answer by Igbos bigots

He was an Icon, He wrote so and so book, he brought African/Nigerian Igbo culture to the international literature world, his book is translated to 1200000 languages etc

Has this answered the question I asked or the OP answered ? If indeed we have sensible people who are defending this man know what a direct question and direct answer is.

Look all, I did not see the doors of a university but if indeed this is what University education entails then it is good as I can see lots of wasted investments grin

Simple direct question, to answer it is difficult.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by camelus: 3:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
ROSSIKE: ^^I actually sympathize a bit with your sentiments. I think Achebe was a bit too much of a pessimist where it concerned modern Nigeria. He failed to understand that developing nations, especially complex ones like Nigeria, need time to develop the institutions and even the culture required to create and sustain advanced societies. He had this naive idea that straight off from independence, we should have been on a one way trajectory to being the new Japan or USA, forgetting that those nations had several centuries of independence before getting where there are. Africans are not superhumans. The colonialists left us without a single proper university on the entire black continent right up till 1960 when they left (apart from in SA). How does such a continent develop into a world class place in a decade or two as Achebe was expecting? It was never going to happen. The coups, the corruption, the ineptitude etc were all very predictable growing pains of newly liberated nations that had been bastardized for centuries by rapacious, unscrupulous foreigners. We've actually come a long way if you look at it objectively. We've brought mass education to our people, which was denied us by the colonialists. We've built some notable infrastructure, and our economies are growing from strength to strength. So we're not standing still. Shame Achebe never found it in him to acknowledge that progress.. But we still honour him for his great works of literary genius which brought glory, international respect and honour to his fatherland and to the continent. His place is assured in the annals of great African heroes.

In 1910,the Secretary of State for Colonies Lewis Harcourt presented to the British House of Commons,proposal to merge the Southern and Northern Protectorate,the aim was purely economical.
"The Protectorate of Northern Nigeria proved a relatively poor neighbour without direct access to the Sea with larger area and Population,with costly railway construction,tee Protectorate of northern Nigeria experienced seriously financial difficulties only slightly relieved by the annual grants in aid from the imperial treasury".
Despite Sir Ralph moore's protest who saw no reason why the riches of the South should be used to develop the North. Lugard's proposal for amalgamation was approved.1st January 1914,Nigeria came to being as the two protectorate were amalgamated.Lugard became its first Governor General.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Mar 24, 2013
Baby mama:

Any Igbo man that hates Soyinka is ignorant of history
Your generalizations are sick
The day he dies Igbos will mourn him loudly,I wish him long life
Banjo was killed in war for reasons best known to the killer
The same manner many Igbos soldiers were killed in the hands of Biafra for being saboteurs
Awo is what Awo is and that is what Chinua described him as
If Awo and Yoruba are interchangeable words,the problem is with Yorubas not Chinua

Going by your logic, I would say Achebe is Achebe and therefore does not represent ibo people. So, Yorubas should be free to express what they know about him without you calling them evil.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem: Any educated non-baised person would understand the QUESTION HERE AND THE ANSWER I AM GETTING

Question

What did Achebe do to improve/advocate to better the life of an average Nigerian

Answer by Igbos bigots

He was an Icon, He wrote so and so book, he brought African/Nigerian Igbo culture to the international literature world, his book is translated to 1200000 languages etc

Has this answered the question I asked or the OP answered ? If indeed we have sensible people who are defending this man know what a direct question and direct answer is.

Look all, I did not see the doors of a university but if indeed this is what University education entails then it is good as I can see lots of wasted investments grin

They've got no answer, that why they keep turning in circles.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Mar 24, 2013
nnenna.1:

This bolded is what many of the those folks here equate to quick wit and high intelligence.

Low class and gutter behavior.

[size=18pt]I hear them attempt to make fun of Chinua as a fictional writer
Most of them dunces have no clue what fiction and non fiction are
Most books are classified as non fiction

Non fiction Includes

Cookery books
Autobiographies
Memoirs
Religious books
Maps
Dictionaries
Encyclopedia
Textbooks of history,science,mathematics,geography and all other subjects known to man
These all make up the majority of published books

But then you hear these blockheads parrot "fiction" because they heard others say it like it were some disadvantage

Did they expect him to write a history of Oduduwa republic or how to make amala?

A fictional writer that has sold 12 million copies of one book and counting is darn good [/size]

Nincompoops

Chinua wrote both fiction and non fiction BTW
He has a collection of essays that are non fiction and a memoir
If only they opened books ,they would know

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 3:23pm On Mar 24, 2013
Blueboy0402: There was a country: a land of the rising sun. There was a country: a land of great intellectuals. There was a country: the home of Azikiwe, Chinua Achebe, Ojukwu, Emegwali, Chimamanda, king Jaja, Oludah Equino etc. There was a country: her citizens sacrificed their lives for freedom. There was a country: betrayed by her neighbours. There was a country: hated by many, loved by few.
RIP Chinua Achebe. Your book "There was a country" is indeed a parting gift to the world.

Did you deliberately decided to ignore soyinka, fela, ahmadu bello, sanusi, femi kuti Or were you referring to biafra?

Can we for once appreciate our country. Let stop the spread of tribalism. Let us correct the errors of our fathers. I still believe in Nigeria
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem: Any educated non-baised person would understand the QUESTION HERE AND THE ANSWER I AM GETTING

Question

Answer by Igbos bigots

I think I understand your problem Mr. Harem. Stems from not having seen the doors of the University.

Let me help you, improving better life of an average Nigeria extends beyond infrastructure. Their is such a thing called intellectual development. Achebe contributed greatly to the intellectual development of the majority of Nigerian students by providing them a world class intellectual fodder. Not just for Nigerians, but to the world actually. same as the likes of Charlse Dickens, whose Oliver Twist you must have read.
For the minority African and Nigerians who have to deal withe the rest of the world, He created a great perspective for that interaction on elevated footing in the work, Things Fall Apart.
Thank you.

6 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 3:25pm On Mar 24, 2013

Question

Answer by Igbos bigots

shut your dumbass up. ok, lets assume Achebe has not "contributed to Nigeria" what has you or the brain absent op contributed to Nigeria since Achebe is also a member of the masses like you both. What obligation does Achebe as an apolitical individual like you have to contribute to Nigeria that you don't?

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 24, 2013
Baby mama don vex o. Don't worry, Harry potter series are also fiction. And J.K Rowling is known the world over. grin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aryzgreat: 3:27pm On Mar 24, 2013
Baby mama:

[size=18pt]I hear them make fun of Chinua as a fictional writer
Most of them dunces have no clue what fiction and non fiction are
Most books are classified as non fiction

Non fiction Includes

Cookery books
Autobiographies
Memoirs
Religious books
Maps
Dictionaries
Encyclopedia
Textbooks of history,science,mathematics,geography and all other subjects known to man
These all make up the majority of published books

But the you hear these eediots parrot fiction because they heard others say it

Did they expect him to write a history of Oduduwa republic or how to make amala?

A fictional writer that has sold 12 million copies of one book and counting is darn goo[/size]d at what he does

Nincompoops

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy, thought i was d only one dat noticed the way they wia blabbing about "fiction" as if they even know wot fictional books are. bunch of touts rampaging on NL exhibiting their rascal behaviours.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2013
aryzgreat:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy, thought i was d only one dat noticed the way they wia blabbing about "fiction" as if they even know wot fictional books are. bunch of touts rampaging on NL exhibiting their rascal behaviours.

See how they have all gone to hide
To Confound them just display some common sense without insults ,they go and hide
Useless things

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2013
KenGali:
I think I understand your problem Mr. Harem. Stems from not having seen the doors of the University.

Let me help you, improving better life of an average Nigeria extends beyond infrastructure. Their is such a thing called intellectual development. Achebe contributed greatly to the intellectual development of the majority of Nigerian students by providing them a world class intellectual fodder. Not just for Nigerians, but to the world actually. same as the likes of Charlse Dickens, whose Oliver Twist you must have read.
For the minority African and Nigerians who have to deal withe the rest of the world, He created a great perspective for that interaction on elevated footing in the work, Things Fall Apart.
Thank you.

Oh I see, thanks but you and I would agree that what you just said is what I was getting at

My brother, THAT IS NOT AN AVERAGE NIGERIAN. I hope you are getting my point, what impart has he made for the average almajiri or what you people in the east call "Youths"
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Ribaman(m): 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2013
Chanchit: :-XI think Achebe really tried in promoting civil war in Nigeria, even with the last book he authored last year. cool
u

What planet do you inhabit?
Nigeria has been in a state of civil war since 1914, and here you are complaining that Achebe tried to instigate a civil war. The man merely reminded you of some fact that you'd rather forget.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 24, 2013
Baby mama:

See how they have all gone to hide
To Confound them just display some common sense without insults ,they go and hide
Useless things

I know, they are intimidated by your superior ibo intellect.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 3:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
Yoruba will always be scared of Igbo intelligence, but the brightness of their exploits will continue to blind you people. Keep hating, keep getting behind grin

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 3:36pm On Mar 24, 2013
Mr. Globe:

I refuse to join issues with you as regards Wole Soyinka, the ONLY Yoruba man we respect and adore in Alaigbo. At the end of the day the stories you disparaged are the highest selling African made stories worldwide. You wouldn't know this since you are a victim of the free and fake awolowo education that has turned 80% of Yoruba people (you inclusive) to taxi drivers in all major Nigerian cities.

I refuse to partake in this argument with you. As an igbo man, the free education and health system policies implemented by Awolowo are highly commendable. That is why there were so many educated yoruba peeps at that time. Though, I do not like awolowo because of his role during the civil war, I secretly admire those policies. Those kind of policies are policies our igbo leaders should explemify and also our national leaders in order to improve the standard of living in this country.

Likewise, our leaders must truly sit down collectively and address this tribalism and move this country to true integration and greater height.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem:

Oh I see, thanks but you and I would agree that what you just said is what I was getting at

My brother, THAT IS NOT AN AVERAGE NIGERIAN. I hope you are getting my point, what impart has he made for the average almajiri or what you people in the east call "Youths"
Well if the Generations of Nigerian students who have had to study his work as part of their curricula, for over twenty years do not constitute Average in Your mind Kindly enlighten me on who is. Almajiri is a feature of northern Nigeria, so is below average. but even they will benefit from his work in the course of education in the almajiri schools.
We do not have Almajiris in Eastern Nigeria, street kids do not exist in eastern cities.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (37) (Reply)

70% Of Nigerian Politicians Are Lunatics – Peter Obi / Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings / Celebration In Ph Over Wike Victory (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.