Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,118 members, 7,842,234 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41821 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 2:02pm On Mar 24, 2013
inufele2:

Lie from the pit of hell, he never liked Nigeria, he died as a biafran with nigerian passport grin grin grin

Better than drinking rat poison grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

The yoruba are not known for their fighting skills, they are more poular with backstabbing and betrayals. They dont fight, they are too lazy and cowardly for that.

From long time history, to Oladipo diya, all crying Generals in front of death or fear.

What are ibos known for? stop derailing the thread with lies your bitter ancestors passed on to you about Yorubas
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 24, 2013
4chi:

Do your research and go and read what Achebe said about Awolowo immediately upon his death in 1987. The crippled bigot was the ONLY major personality who made a derogatory remark against the man . Even ojukwu, a more major player in the civil war conflict showed enough grace and class not to denigrate a dead man. 25 years after, this patently bitter and bigoted man still went on to write a most asinine book making caustic reference to Awo and " his Yoruba people" against his so called "dominant ibos" Shows the extent of bile in the stomach of this ugly mofo ..
Achebes highest educational qualification was the degree in English language he received from the heart of Yorubaland .without which he would have amounted to nothing but a primary school teacher in ogidi. For exhibiting so much hatred and bigotry toward a land that made him whole,he was crippled by the gods,when he persisted I'm his ways,the gods deleted him.....the gods are wise grin grin grin

I know the man hate Yorubas and what we are...but I think we should still never pay him with his own evil...
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Better than drinking rat poison grin grin grin

The one that killed your father grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 4chi: 2:05pm On Mar 24, 2013
chingyjant:
Did Achebe tell lies about all you stated?He said the truth.Like the saying goes truth is bitter.Go ponder on that

Some further truths is that chinua Achebe
- is a tribalistic bigot who is clearly a ibo / Biafra irredentist

-is a liar and propagandist

- very jealous and petty especially against Soyinka who is clearly his oga at the top.

-lacks respect and class. He denigrated the memory of Awolowo upon his death. So he deserves the same and more.

- is an extremely bitter man to the end. He clearly was not at peace with his "chi"

Forget all the so called tributes..the foreigners don't know him as much as we do. A man's true worth is measured not by what outsiders say of him.
GO PONDER ON THAT.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 2:07pm On Mar 24, 2013
inufele2:

What are ibos known for? stop derailing the thread with lies your bitter ancestors passed on to you about Yorubas

Nothing was passed to me, i witnessed Oladpo diya live at the oputa panels. No Igbo general can ever do that!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Mar 24, 2013
4chi:

Some further truths is that chinua Achebe
- is a tribalistic bigot who is clearly a ibo / Biafra irredentist

-is a liar and propagandist

- very jealous and petty especially against Soyinka who is clearly his oga at the top.

-lacks respect and class. He denigrated the memory of Awolowo upon his death. So he deserves the same and more.

- is an extremely bitter man to the end. He clearly was not at peace with his "chi"

Forget all the so called tributes..the foreigners don't know him as much as we do. A man's true worth is measured not by what outsiders say of him.
GO PONDER ON THAT.

Gbam!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vandarsar(m): 2:08pm On Mar 24, 2013
You don't know anything yet you got 5 Likes, how come?? Could be our bigotry Iboboys at work.
Now aint gonna school you on Soyinka, cause everyone knows soyinka is a pan Nigerian man, who's pen is also in the same category (if not mightier) as Asheebee. Pls google his views and direct impacts on Biafran..... He's an example of a Biafran soldier, yet he's a Yoruba.

Bob marley smokes weeds those that makes him a bad man? He even said and I quote "herbs is the healing of a nation" Bob, for me is the greatest thing that ever happened to Jamaica. Google him, he did a lot of reconciliation and national redress within his 30+ years. What has Asheebee done Apart from using his pen and brain to cause katakata....

gbaky_floor:

Apart from cultism what did Soyinka contribute to NATIONAL development?

Apart from making weed seem cool to youths, what did Fela contribute to NATIONAL development?

Answer these questions and you have the answer to Chinua Achebe's contribution!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ichidodo: 2:09pm On Mar 24, 2013
inufele2:

No that killed ure mother. C*unt-face.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Blueboy0402: 2:09pm On Mar 24, 2013
Billyonaire: There was once a country..... The Pre-1914 Amalgamation was not supposed to happen. The Civil war was just a manifestation of that, today history has visited us again with the spate of bombings by the Islamists who believe only Buhari of the Northern Protectorate deserve to rule. Chinua Achebe expounded on this truth, so there is no need to hate the messenger if the message is true. Truth, they say is bitter. Chinua Achebe, delivered the truth about the civil war and we now know who the Iscariots were. I love the man, and his works are a testimony of his creative capability in literature, history and politics. Achebe lives for ever but his haters will never be born, will never be known.
I never knew you have a good head on your shoulders, now I know better. Now I know "Billyonaire" knows the truth. Indeed "there was a country".
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ichidodo: 2:09pm On Mar 24, 2013
inufele2:

No the one that killed ure mother and her paedophile lover. C*unt-face.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 2:11pm On Mar 24, 2013
vandarsar: You don't know anything yet you got 5 Likes, how come?? Could be our bigotry Iboboys at work.
Now aint gonna school you on Soyinka, cause everyone knows soyinka is a pan Nigerian man, who's pen is also in the same category (if not mightier) as Asheebee. Pls google his views and direct impacts on Biafran..... He's an example of a Biafran soldier, yet he's a Yoruba.

Bob marley smokes weeds those that makes him a bad man? He even said and I quote "herbs is the healing of a nation" Bob, for me is the greatest thing that ever happened to Jamaica. Google him, he did a lot of reconciliation and national redress within his 30+ years. What has Asheebee done Apart from using his pen and brain to cause katakata....

I like Soyinka, he is a very great man indeed. I heard he is Igbo, hence his different views. I heard Achebe's uncle is his father!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 24, 2013
ichidodo: No the one that killed ure mother. C*unt-face.

The one that killed your parents and making you paranoid like an intoxicated bull

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by shizzle11(m): 2:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
~Bluetooth:

The triaslistic bas't'ard succeeded in planting hatred in the minds of his people.

That is one hell of an achievement.

@-Blueshit

He was miles better than your moronic local hero called Awo-ole

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 2:18pm On Mar 24, 2013
I apologize for disrespecting Awolowo publicly. He was a great man and will be remembered. I am just not happy with the way he handled the civil war. True people make mistakes but some mistakes can cause an unbearable scar.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ichidodo: 2:18pm On Mar 24, 2013
inufele2:

The one that killed your parents and making you paranoid like an intoxicated bull
LIKE I SAID.THE MAGUN THAT KILLED URE MOTHER AND HER 16 YEAR OLD LOVER. YERIBA PIG-SH*T!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Mar 24, 2013
There was never a country ...what you had was a slaughter house.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vandarsar(m): 2:20pm On Mar 24, 2013
Fela criticized a lot of regime and most espcially OBJ's who's suppose to be his clan and associate man..... He also talks about key national issues among other tings. He didn't fail to emancipate us from mental slavery too. whatever asheebee did with his pen fela does with his voice too. Just that one choose to be pro-ibo while the other choose to be pro-people.

DID you know I never knew Fela's village is just a stone throw from my village in abk? I used to think he's an ibo man while growing up because of his. Look and strong disagreement with Yoruba elders

The Yoruba clans don't reason with emotion and that's easily perceived in our culture. It took time for bashorun ogunmola and co to take on kunrunmi, but when they eventually did they conquered him. Am an ijaiye man (from kurunmi settlement), I take this in good fate, when you read more about kurunmi, u will know why.

gbaky_floor:

Apart from cultism what did Soyinka contribute to NATIONAL development?

Apart from making weed seem cool to youths, what did Fela contribute to NATIONAL development?

Answer these questions and you have the answer to Chinua Achebe's contribution!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Mar 24, 2013
[size=28pt]Quoting JP Clark and Wole Soyinka
[/size]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...yinka-jp-clark

[size=18pt]For us, the loss of Chinua Achebe is, above all else, intensely personal. We have lost a brother, a colleague, a trailblazer and a doughty fighter. Of the "pioneer quartet" of contemporary Nigerian literature, two voices have been silenced – one, of the poet Christopher Okigbo, and now, the novelist Chinua Achebe. It is perhaps difficult for outsiders of that intimate circle to appreciate this sense of depletion, but we take consolation in the young generation of writers to whom the baton has been passed, those who have already creatively ensured that there is no break in the continuum of the literary vocation.[/size]

[size=28pt]We need to stress this at a critical time of Nigerian history, where the forces of darkness appear to overshadow the illumination of existence that literature represents. These are forces that arrogantly pride themselves implacable and brutal enemies of what Chinua and his pen represented, not merely for the African continent, but for humanity[/size].

[size=28pt]No matter the reality, after the initial shock, and a sense of abandonment, we confidently assert that Chinua lives. His works provide their enduring testimony to the domination of the human spirit over the forces of repression, bigotry and retrogression.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Mar 24, 2013
The only media outlets vilifying Achebe are Nigerian sites such as this one.

No wonder the country will forever remain the a*shole of Africa.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 24, 2013
nnenna.1:
The only media outlets vilifying Achebe are Nigerian sites such as this one.

No wonder the country will forever remain the a*shole of Africa.

That is why the country is a load of poo
And the only group vilifying him is the group labelled by non Igbos as the problem with Nigeria
The rascals of Nigeria

The chief tribalists of Nigeria
The introducers of tribalism in Nigerian politics and everywhere they go
And now slowly becoming part of boko haram as their brothers sign up with al queda

Is anyone surprised?

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 24, 2013
Baby mama:

That is why the country is a load of poo
And the only group vilifying him is the group labelled as the problem with Nigeria
Is anyone surprised?

Soyinka rightly said it - "FORCES OF DARKNESS"

Nigeria: An EVIL, neo-colonialist state. Pure evil and darkness.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Mar 24, 2013
nnenna.1:

Soyinka rightly said it - "FORCES OF DARKNESS"

Nigeria: An EVIL, neo-colonialist state. Pure evil and darkness.

I am glad he said it
He probably also recognizes the evil in his own people well
He is so unlike them
Does not share any Yoruba attributes besides place of origin

I believe that short response above amongst several others here ought to answer the OP if indeed he is interested in knowledge.
I doubt if he is though

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 2:28pm On Mar 24, 2013
ikennahill:

yorubas will never like Achebe,even Nigeria might never like him but the man said the truth and was ready to face the notorious lagos press with their editorials,write ups etc.That book he called it his memoir and personal history. Chimandu edichie said that we understand differently and i put it clear that people understand achebe differently.The way the world under stand the great iroko tree called Achebe,is different from the way some Nigerians understand him,it is different from the way Yorubas that did not actually know how it feel to be bombed,starved and given mere 20 pounds.There was no war in yoruba land,so yoruba does not know what it mean for bomb to fall in market place and kill thousands of people like it happened in ABA,Enugu,Umuahia,etc.Achebe wrote his personal experince and somebody some where want him to write it to suit his ego.The man is the man f the people.He has right to be bitter,even young generations of Nigerians that have gone to countries like Ghana,Togo,Boswana,Egypt,Tunisia,South africa,Trinidad and Tobago,etc,even Gambia,will be bitter about the sandy country called Nigeria.Achebe at 82 wrote a personal memoir and some retarded fool does not see that the man is a great man(note my use of the word 'is')because just like fela anikulaokpo kuti,Dim chukwuemeka Ojukwu,alvan ikoku,Dr.Francis Ibiam,etc they are all aive in us.Your hatred for Achebe cannot be little him.Nelson mandela in his tribute to Achebe said he was the man that brought africa organization even in colonial time to the world and he (Achebe) was the man whose literature brought down the wall of the prison ROBBEN ISLAND.

Things fall apart was a master piece that have been translated into over 50 languages world wide,the film as old as it was is still sort after even here in Austria.Achebe planted Nigeria in front but our bad leadership is killing Nigeria.The same man that pardoned a thief want to give a responsible man an award.Achebe is a true son of his father,where achebe come from they are known to be warriors,he used his pen to stir our mind and to show that things fell apart when oyibo people did not key into our already organised africa way of life,but gave us their own and we cannot cope with it.Read anthill of savanah too.You should be proud of Achebe who at 82 wrote a book about his personal experince on Biafra war which is still on going.you may like him,you may hate him but he is an iroko tree far above other trees in the forest.your hatred for the old man means nothing.He spoke the truth and generation yet unborn will read his books and grab the truth which if they use well will set them free.

Your irrelevant and misguided essay doesn't change the fact that ashebe was a bitter, disgruntled, hateful, tribalistic and vengeful bigot and he didn't hide it, it was part of his actions, utterances and he even exhibited it all in his book.

We are better off without poisonous, mean spirited and devisive elements like ashebe.

Of what use and relevance is an adult or elder @ 82 years old who can not heal, unite and promote peace and togetherness?

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by antiembezzle: 2:30pm On Mar 24, 2013
bolaino: I know I'm going to get lots of insults thrown on my person after creating this topic, but to me the truth is better, I'm not a tribalist or an ethnic bigot, on the other hand I'm a proud Nigerian, one who believes that there is still hope for our great nation, I grew up reading literary works of chinua achebe, and I enjoyed his master piece (things fall apart) so much that I always re enacted this story whenever I was bored while growing up, the author of the book seemed bigger than life to me then, but growing up I discovered one thing about this man, he was a sadist, a pessimist, and a bad critic, he never saw the country Nigeria amounting to anything, he was always quick to condemn from the high pedestal which the "white man" put him, no doubt he has made Nigeria proud in the aspect of literature, but what has he done to help build this country? This is a man who spent half his life abroad pointing out problems of this country, but never offering sound possible solutions to these problems, this man hated his father land so much that he refused a national award twice, I believe that his refusal to accept the national awards stemmed from his hatred of his fatherland, not solely cos he felt the governments had failed the people, this man was not a man of the people as most people are claiming, rather he was a man against the people, he was a doomsday individual, he was hoping for the collapse of this our great country, he hated the market woman, the taxi driver and even the lawyer, he saw Nigerians as a people who could never change for the better, chinua achebe made us proud with his literary works, but aside from that he did not contribute enough for the over all development of this country, we've heard of great doctors who left the western world to come and practice in bush Africa, these men are the kind of people we should look up to, let me not say more, but I believe I have made my views known, may his soul rest, I hope he is buried in the United states.
what else should one expect from a seed like the OP, sown with a fluid of lies. What has you, your useless father and mother, uncles and aunties contributed to the development of your hunger striken village. The moment I saw this thread I knew what the yorubas are up to. To them nothing good exists except it's yoruba. No wonder they idolize awo ole, thifnubu, fashola, tafa balogun, bode george, bank ole , obj and other glorified yoruba criminals. You say GEJ is corrupt and you hate him, here is Achebe with all the intergrity still you hate him. The sight of you awo snakes is so disgusting, a people who should be left to perish with their stupi.d lazy as.ses, I don't how we came side by side with you guinea toads in same country but I know we are sure going to split, we can't continue with you airheads! FOOLS!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by patrkq(m): 2:33pm On Mar 24, 2013
Alll u bigoted, disgrunted, incoherent, partially educated, frustrated, hopeless and most importantly awkwardly tribalistic narrow minded southerners shud Bleep off...
The main idea the poster was trying to generate was that although chinua achebe was a literary genius, he neva channeled this talent into positively affecting nigeria....
Let's look at this analogy... Nigeria is suffering from a malignant tumour.. Now most Doctors know dat there is little hope, does dat mean we shud then kill nigeria.... NOOO. We continue to apply various theraupies in hope dat this will cure or improve the condition of the patient(nigeria)....
Achebe was a literary icon, but nothing more....datz all

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ichidodo: 2:34pm On Mar 24, 2013
Where the f**k is that yeriba aszmonkey? Typical yeriba sh*t,cowards all of them.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
patrkq:
Achebe was a literary icon
chinua achebe was a literary genius

You got that right!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Daviyd: 2:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
Dede1:

You are one among many reasons Nigeria is a dead-end piece of junk. Achebe was and remained one of few major contributors to Africa’s progress. You are too ignorant to even begin to comprehend Achebe’s contribution to the progress of entire African continent. In USA, authors of text books that hold rare knowledge are valued more than an idiotic politician who claimed to have granted free education, built TV Station, roads, bridges or stadia by using public fund. An author used his\her natural endowment, time and money to publish books so that drooling airheads such you had the opportunity to spew crap.

If moronic dingbats such as you had followed a bit of Achebe’s preaching and forget the never-do-well structure on a sandy foundation such as Nigeria, the region would have experienced explosion of progress and mutual corporations among nation states rather than ethnical and sectarian massacres prevalent in Nigeria today.
I shall never want to have you as a compatriot.
LWKMD. cheesy. Don't mind the silly op. What has (s)he done to contribute to Nigeria's development. give honour to whom honour is due

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 24, 2013
ichidodo: Where the f**k is that yeriba aszmonkey? Typical yeriba sh*t,cowards all of them.

[size=18pt]They usually don't know much except insulting words
Matching them intellect for intellect is often an exercise in futility
Many including myself have answered the OP well on previous pages,picking his points bit by bit
They are not interested in facts
They are interested in heaping the most insults and parroting what they heard others say
That is the style of the area boys of Nigeria.
When words fail them as is often the case, they resort to agbero style
The only method that comes naturally and effortlessly to them
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 2:41pm On Mar 24, 2013
[size=14pt]It is clear we have a very big problem with this nation. NO ONE COULD ANSWER A CLEAR CUT QUESTION WITHOUT INSULTS.

They ramble with no answer. See stu.pidity[/size]

This does not change my views and respect to the great writer Achebe. I still respect him as a man. So no one should view my CLEAR direct question as disrespect for Achebe.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

I was expecting you to explain to us how his last hateful, devisive and tribal supremacy book = Progress .

I'm not going to play that dumb game with you, just explain to us how a book that turned the country upside down and dug up old wounds = progress.

Happy you agree there is was an old wound that has hitherto remained unresolved. Nothing wrong in digging them up as the Great Achebe has done in his book ''there was a country'' because thats the only way they can be resolved. Hide them at your own peril; surely they will fester and become incurable affecting other parts of the body or the fabric of Nigerian society.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (37) (Reply)

70% Of Nigerian Politicians Are Lunatics – Peter Obi / Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings / Celebration In Ph Over Wike Victory (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.