Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,479 members, 7,826,809 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41767 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by intrepid: 3:38pm On Mar 24, 2013
0lumide: I can't seem to be able to find one thing Achebe achieved as one of "African intellectual".

He had the tool and potential to make people listen to him but he didn't use that tool and potential for nothing but his own literary awards and nothing really educating per se. Except you want to call his style of writing educating. I call his style of writing political and not something that people across the board can really read when they seek guidance in anything.

All the "African" forum he attended were all just noise making forums who just sit and analyze what Africa should be without them following through their conclusions and ensuring that they capture the mind of corrupt African government for a change.

But still Achebe was a creative writer. But to put it beyond that to try and mortally immortalize him as a hero of Africans is just really sentimental. Achebe has contributed nothing to African development, people and spirit.

If we allow Achebe be called a hero, we are leaving space for people like baba suwe and other entertainers to be called Heros. King Sunny Ade as talented as he is in his work, is just a beauty of Africa not an African hero or active contributor to African development.

Achebe is just one of many Africa talents that stood above his peers in his work. Let's not get too sentimental and try to give undue hero worship to him, instead, recognize the creativity of his work which is what his fame is still based not contribution to African people's development. Thanks
Folks like you are the reasons for Africa's backwardness.Ppl who lack the the knack to detect the sublime in others,who only use their gifts to dampen the zeal of younger generations.I suggest you and others who are accusing Achebe here should put your thoughts together and send it to any Nigerian newspaper house lets see wat happens....You guys are the bigoted,tribalistic and shortsighted creatures that trouble Nigeria....You only alas for people who tell lies and pretend that everything is good..Who told you that Achebe didnt believe in Nigeria?how did you come to the conclusion that his rejecting of national honour(which i believe you were also one of those who criticized it's mode of award) was akin to hatred for his country? What he wrote in his last book (which you may not even have read) was his memoir of the civil war that shattered his country and the injustices that continued against a people even in war time.Can you prove anything wrong in that book or is it because he mentioned Awo for ppl to see the real issues?.A country without history cant make progress as past mistakes can be repeated but they are better repeated left to guys like you....What do you have to say about Boko Haram and innocent citizens dying everyday?That is supposed to be a major headache to you right now...It was for Achebe and he foresaw it and did something. Where is your own?

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 3:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
KenGali:
Well if the Generations of Nigerian students who have had to study his work as part of their curricula, for over twenty years do not constitute Average in Your mind Kindly enlighten me on who is. Almajiri is a feature of northern Nigeria, so is below average. but even they will benefit from his work in the course of education in the almajiri schools.

You see the problem here ? His books have not really taught people on how to govern different set of people and taught people how to relate with people.

I my humble opinion I have read "Things fall apart" and "There was a country" two IMO are the most popular of his books. Both of which are not really thought provoking but personal encounters.

Correct me if I am wrong and I am willing to learn from you with superior knowledge.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by crossover(m): 3:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
I know it will come to this. A great man is gone and some of us that are acutely myopic to the extent of becoming imbeciles are trying to drift our minds away into abyss. The truth is that most of the contributors that are sprouting extreme bitterness and hatred are either Christians or Muslims. Too bad!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by mpumalanga: 3:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
Achebe said when he was alive that "It is only in a folklore that you will see a tortoise pointing hand at an elephant". And he ended it by saying that he do not have the time for such folklore.Niaraland is sort of a modern folklore as you will not see or touch the participating characters.So,the Tortoise of Nairaland are highly welcomed to point fingers at the elephant because this is the only way/place they can do that.Let the tortoise enjoy their fun while the Elephant will continue to be celebrated by fellow achievement oriented elephants all over the world.such as papa Mandela,Zuma and others .RIP to ACHEBE, the man that looked evil in the face and called it EVIL.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 3:48pm On Mar 24, 2013
crossover: I know it will come to this. A great man is gone and some of us that are acutely myopic to the extent of becoming imbeciles are trying to drift our minds away into abyss. The truth is that most of the contributors that are sprouting extreme bitterness and hatred are either Christians or Muslims. Too bad!

When a great masquerade has danced and left the scene, women, children and the uninitiated must tell the tales. Achebe is a big masquerade, a fully crowned IJELE.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 24, 2013
bolaino: I know I'm going to get lots of insults thrown on my person after creating this topic, but to me the truth is better, I'm not a tribalist or an ethnic bigot, on the other hand I'm a proud Nigerian, one who believes that there is still hope for our great nation, I grew up reading literary works of chinua achebe, and I enjoyed his master piece (things fall apart) so much that I always re enacted this story whenever I was bored while growing up, the author of the book seemed bigger than life to me then, but growing up I discovered one thing about this man, he was a sadist, a pessimist, and a bad critic, he never saw the country Nigeria amounting to anything, he was always quick to condemn from the high pedestal which the "white man" put him, no doubt he has made Nigeria proud in the aspect of literature, but what has he done to help build this country? This is a man who spent half his life abroad pointing out problems of this country, but never offering sound possible solutions to these problems, this man hated his father land so much that he refused a national award twice, I believe that his refusal to accept the national awards stemmed from his hatred of his fatherland, not solely cos he felt the governments had failed the people, this man was not a man of the people as most people are claiming, rather he was a man against the people, he was a doomsday individual, he was hoping for the collapse of this our great country, he hated the market woman, the taxi driver and even the lawyer, he saw Nigerians as a people who could never change for the better, chinua achebe made us proud with his literary works, but aside from that he did not contribute enough for the over all development of this country, we've heard of great doctors who left the western world to come and practice in bush Africa, these men are the kind of people we should look up to, let me not say more, but I believe I have made my views known, may his soul rest, I hope he is buried in the United states.
not withstanding, if after he came back frm d white man country he was listen to, would it ve b better now?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 3:52pm On Mar 24, 2013
Boss13:

I refuse to partake in this argument with you. As an igbo man, the free education and health system policy implemented by Awolowo is highly commendable. That is why there were so many educated yoruba peeps at that time. Though, I do not like awolowo because of his role in the civil war, I secretly admire those policies. Those kind of policies are policies our igbo leaders should explemify and also our national leaders in order to improve the standard of living in this country.

However, our leaders must truly sit down collectively and address this tribalism and move this country to true integration and greater height.
I don't recall having any argument here with you. free education my azz. can you show us the legacies of the free education today. Am sorry for you since you don't know the hype was the handwork of Yoruba media at the time. Nigeria integration will never work. Sorry if you are one of the half igbo, half Yoruba confused folks cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ypzilanti: 3:54pm On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem:

Oh I see, thanks but you and I would agree that what you just said is what I was getting at

My brother, THAT IS NOT AN AVERAGE NIGERIAN. I hope you are getting my point, what impart has he made for the average almajiri or what you people in the east call "Youths"

So from the question 'Did Achebe actually do anything to promote development in Nigeria' we are now asking what he did for almajiri and restive youths. You are just laughable. OK, for argument sake, lets all agree that he contributed to intellectual development. That by the way was what writers are supposed to do, and he did it better than you can ever imagine. Apart from that, he left his job and also spoke and wrote against dictatorship and bad governance. What else did you want him to do? Go around distributing keke marwa and sewing machines? If the government improved the country as he advocated, there would be no need for keke marwa and sewing machine distrubution. Get it?

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 3:54pm On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem:

You see the problem here ? His books have not really taught people on how to govern different set of people and taught people how to relate with people.

I my humble opinion I have read "Things fall apart" and "There was a country" two IMO are the most popular of his books. Both of which are not really thought provoking but personal encounters.

Correct me if I am wrong and I am willing to learn from you with superior knowledge.

There was a country was just released so we cannot judge on its popularity. However, the irony of this is that people want to read from chinua achebe. It can also be compared to the urge from people wanting to hear another track from fela (foes and friend alike).

Please add man of the people to your list. 6 weeks after the book was released, the first coup in the country took place. Also add his essay attacking Joseph Conrad. That essay is still been studied. The essay resulted to a lot of provocation from the western world, a time when Conrad was celebrated as a literary icon. I also believe, the essay was behind the reason achebe was never honoured with the noble prize for literature even when there was an outcry for him to be recognized.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vandarsar(m): 3:55pm On Mar 24, 2013
The funny thing is you're part and percel of that folklore you see?

Idi.ota, You sidon for Mpumalanga, South Africa dey throw stones of words like your irreplaceable bigot, Asheebee(Asheburuku)

mpumalanga: Achebe said when he was alive that "It is only in a folklore that you will see a tortoise pointing hand at an elephant". And he ended it by saying that he do not have the time for such folklore.Niaraland is sort of a modern folklore as you will not see or touch the participating characters.So,the Tortoise of Nairaland are highly welcomed to point fingers at the elephant because this is the only way/place they can do that.Let the tortoise enjoy their fun while the Elephant will continue to be celebrated by fellow achievement oriented elephants all over the world.such as papa Mandela,Zuma and others .RIP to ACHEBE, the man that looked evil in the face and called it EVIL.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ACM10: 3:59pm On Mar 24, 2013
KenGali:
I think I understand your problem Mr. Harem. Stems from not having seen the doors of the University.

Let me help you, improving better life of an average Nigeria extends beyond infrastructure. Their is such a thing called intellectual development. Achebe contributed greatly to the intellectual development of the majority of Nigerian students by providing them a world class intellectual fodder. Not just for Nigerians, but to the world actually. same as the likes of Charlse Dickens, whose Oliver Twist you must have read.
For the minority African and Nigerians who have to deal withe the rest of the world, He created a great perspective for that interaction on elevated footing in the work, Things Fall Apart.
Thank you.

Why are you wasting your time with this dude. He is obviously blinded by tribalism and bigotry.
The same person that will be quick to parrot Awolowo's free education as his greatest achievement will readily dismiss Achebe's contribution as non-achievement. The man who lectured in Nigeria tertiary institution for decades under the harshest condition did not contribute anything to Nigeria's development. SMH.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 4:00pm On Mar 24, 2013
vandarsar: The funny thing is you're part and percel of that folklore you see?

Idi.ota, You sidon for Mpumalanga, South Africa dey throw stones of words like your irreplaceable bigot, Asheebee(Asheburuku)

Give respect to whom respect is due.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Orblonde: 4:01pm On Mar 24, 2013
Chanchit: :-XI think Achebe really tried in promoting civil war in Nigeria, even with the last book he authored last year. cool

Did you just say the He promoted civil war? I mean, Seriously? One thing is clear about Nigeria with its high number of people that have such a high dose of opinionated, half knowledge ignorance and bigotry is that Nigeria (and it leaders) are a true reflection of what we are and that is why we are doomed to suffer with no empirical evidence to show that it will not get worse for us. TO see people make such daft remarks is simply telling.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Mar 24, 2013
Efikman: Chronic Yoruba tribalistic MODS like OAM4J will one day cripple nairaland if Seun Osewa does not do something about it quick. When Yoruba bigots attack Achebe, Ibos and easterners as a whole by using derogatory words such as "ashebe", "Igbos", "yam pottage", "eboes", e.t.c, he will look the other way. But when those attacked reply with same derogatory words
Like Yoruba or Yoruba, he will not hesitate to ban them. Is this right? where then is the justice? Nobody will insult any Yoruba man if the bigots here don't draw the first blood. Make una enjoy. Afterall na una get nairaland. Nonsense!!!!!!!
I can prove you wrong with the many slurs on Yoruba still littered the writings of many comments in this particular thread. Probably you are going about the argument aggressively as most people whose comments are hidden would.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Orblonde: 4:08pm On Mar 24, 2013
With all this tribal hatred, Nigeria will surely collapse. The Easterners saw the writing on the wall since the 60s, infact the north saw it sooner.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 4chi: 4:09pm On Mar 24, 2013
Mr. Globe:

I refuse to join issues with you as regards Wole Soyinka, the ONLY Yoruba man we respect and adore in Alaigbo. At the end of the day the stories you disparaged are the highest selling African made stories worldwide. You wouldn't know this since you are a victim of the free and fake awolowo education that has turned 80% of Yoruba people (you inclusive) to taxi drivers in all major Nigerian cities.

Cut the bleeping crap!!! Who give a flying Bleep who you respect or not? No Yoruba man, not the least our own WS expects any respect or adoration from you ungrateful lot.in any case, since when has iboz learnt the act of according respect? Aren't you clowns famously known for waking up your fathers with a vicious kick in the morning?anuofia, if I hear you talk about respect again....

Unlike the primitive and uncouth sub human that you are,Africans with deeper insight knows that the enthusiasm of the west over " things fall apart" is simply their euphoria about an African writing and confirming their long held impression about Africa's backwardness and primitiveness prior to colonisation. Refences to the ibo evil forest,osu caste system,,killing ikemefuna in cold blood,okonkwo drinking with human skull,structural disorganisation of the ibo tribe as reflected in the book are the stuffs that tickled the fancy of the Europeans till this day. And it furthers their supremacist tendencies, but FOOLS like you would not know that would you? A Yoruba man called Amos tutuola had earlier on In 1952 written along the same line in his "palm wine drinkard" he also had worldwide acclaim and his book was translated to several languages too!! Go figure fool...

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by uzoexcel(m): 4:11pm On Mar 24, 2013
perusing through all the comments made here has reinforced my belief that no matter what happens nigeria will never see itself as one and i really curse all our social studies and history teachers who lied to us.......if achebe or any other writer had written tons of books encouraging Nigeria's togetherness, would it affect ur opinion of ur fellow man from another tribe...i feel he simply said what had to be said without mincing words and i m keeping my opinions personal but it should no way cloud my thinking...look at all of u.....supporting or attacking achebe based on tribal/ethnic sentiments instead of been objective?most of u even profess to be xtians/muslims but u still full of bigotry...hw in the hell ll ur God/Allah judge u on the last dayaccording to ur tribe or religionmay be God will say igbos this line, yorubas that line etc...i sometimes feel the parable of the good samaritan was made for Nigerians!!!!!

i copied the following two lines from ypilizy and Boss...this are some of the sensible comments have seen so far here

So from the question 'Did Achebe actually do anything to promote development in Nigeria' we are now asking what he did for almajiri and restive youths. You are just laughable. OK, for argument sake, lets all agree that he contributed to intellectual development. That by the way was what writers are supposed to do, and he did it better than you can ever imagine. Apart from that, he left his job and also spoke and wrote against dictatorship and bad governance. What else did you want him to do? Go around distributing keke marwa and sewing machines? If the government improved the country as he advocated, there would be no need for keke marwa and sewing machine distrubution. Get it?

Please add man of the people to your list. 6 weeks after the book was released, the first coup in the country took place. Also add his essay attacking Joseph Conrad. That essay is still been studied. The essay resulted to a lot of provocation from the western world, a time when Conrad was celebrated as a literary icon. I also believe, the essay was behind the reason achebe was never honoured with the noble prize for literature even when there was an outcry for him to be recognized.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aryzgreat: 4:12pm On Mar 24, 2013
ypzilanti:

GBAM! GBAM!! GBAMM!!! That was a powerful punch! The tout will still ask his father wot Achebe did after ur explanation. So much for Awo-ole free education in rascals land.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 4:12pm On Mar 24, 2013
Orblonde: With all this tribal hatred, Nigeria will surely collapse. The Easterners saw the writing on the wall since the 60s, infact the north saw it sooner.

My biggest surprise was why the yoruba failed to see we are very different from each other all these years? Well, boko haram will remind them!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 4:15pm On Mar 24, 2013
Mr. Globe:

I don't recall having any argument here with you. free education my azz. can you show us the legacies of the free education today. Am sorry for you since you don't know the hype was the handwork of Yoruba media at the time. Nigeria integration will never work. Sorry if you are one of the half igbo, half Yoruba confused folks cheesy cheesy

My brother, when you run away from your problem thinking you have solved it. Guess what it is still waiting for you. I cannot deny that I have never been attacked in a tribalistic way by my yoruba brothers. However, I choose my actions carefully and try not to return the same treatment.

Ask yourself why do you think people are tribalistic? Now if you act tribalistic does it make you any better than them but for the poor emotional reasons they choose to act that way.

Distinguish yourself my brother for we live in a wicked world. To also answer your question I am full igbo but protray myself more as a Nigerian because I believe in diversity.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 4:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
aryzgreat:

GBAM! GBAM!! GBAMM!!! That was a powerful punch! The tout will still ask his father wot Achebe did after ur explanation. So much for Awo-ole free education in rascals land.

grin grin grin

The free education threw up people like Bode George, Erastus Akingbola and that criminal police IG grin

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Mar 24, 2013
Orblonde: With all this tribal hatred, Nigeria will surely collapse. The Easterners saw the writing on the wall since the 60s, infact the north saw it sooner.
Whatever! Yorubas are not helpless people as you guys are trying to portray here. That is a complete fact!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by afroxyz: 4:26pm On Mar 24, 2013
OP I forever thank you for your post. I had an argument with a friend based on what you discussed not far long. As far as I am concerned Soyinka is the true Nigeria. Even after being imprisoned by the FG for trying to broker peace during the Biafran, he still served by forming the FRSC and accepted the award. He had nothing to lose in that war yet he risked his life. Okigbo fought for what he believed in and died for it. But what did Achebe do? Stay from his foreign base and spew hate and bile. That is why he never won the Nobel award. He was a great man in the literary circle, but he could not transcend his tribal notions. That is why his prodigee Chiamanda could have the audacity to say "I'm Igbo and African". She like her mentor did not believe in Nigeria. We don't need such people in our trying moments like this

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 4:30pm On Mar 24, 2013
afroxyz: OP I forever thank you for your post. I had an argument with a friend based on what you discussed not far long. As far as I am concerned Soyinka is the true Nigeria. Even after being imprisoned by the FG for trying to broker peace during the Biafran, he still served by forming the FRSC and accepted the award. He had nothing to lose in that war yet he risked his life. Okigbo fought for what he believed in and died for it. But what did Achebe do? Stay from his foreign base and spew hate and bile. That is why he never won the Nobel award. He was a great man in the literary circle, but he could not transcend his tribal notions. That is why his prodigee Chiamanda could have the audacity to say "I'm Igbo and African". She like her mentor did not believe in Nigeria. We don't need such people in our trying moments like this

Only a fool will believe in this ugly situation called Nigeria. The better you killed the Nigerian in you, the better for you.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aryzgreat: 4:34pm On Mar 24, 2013
afroxyz: OP I forever thank you for your post. I had an argument with a friend based on what you discussed not far long. As far as I am concerned Soyinka is the true Nigeria. Even after being imprisoned by the FG for trying to broker peace during the Biafran, he still served by forming the FRSC and accepted the award. He had nothing to lose in that war yet he risked his life. Okigbo fought for what he believed in and died for it. But what did Achebe do? Stay from his foreign base and spew hate and bile. That is why he never won the Nobel award. He was a great man in the literary circle, but he could not transcend his tribal notions. That is why his prodigee Chiamanda could have the audacity to say "I'm Igbo and African". She like her mentor did not believe in Nigeria. We don't need such people in our trying moments like this

Wia did ds nematode escape from? So Achebe did not win nobel award bc according to u, he spew hate and bile against Nigeria? So nobel is a Nigerian award? Before Achebe wrote "there was a country" yorubas never attcked him, but they turned vernomous after Achebe wrote d blunt truth about Awo-ole. SMH for tribalistic scums called yoruba! To hell with all of u and ur thin god awo-ole, he was a murderer and should be tried post humously in Hague for war crime against women and children of Biafra! mtcheeeeeeeew!

Achebe died and Nigeria has been on d news for good thing, when last wass any good thing said about nigeria?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 4:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem: Any educated non-baised person would understand the QUESTION HERE AND THE ANSWER I AM GETTING

Question

What did Achebe do to improve/advocate to better the life of an average Nigerian

Answer by Igbos bigots

He was an Icon, He wrote so and so book, he brought African/Nigerian Igbo culture to the international literature world, his book is translated to 1200000 languages etc

Has this answered the question I asked or the OP answered ? If indeed we have sensible people who are defending this man know what a direct question and direct answer is.

Look all, I did not see the doors of a university but if indeed this is what University education entails then it is good as I can see lots of wasted investments grin

Simple direct question, to answer it is difficult.

I previously answered you and I will do so again. For someone like me who did not experience life before the encroachment of the whiteman. Achebe informed me that Africans once had a life, a coordinated way of doing things. Unlike some of the lies and movies told by white men.

Achebe did not build houses, roads or provided free education because he abandoned politics due to the fact that the politicians during his time were thieves and they still are. He contributed to my own development by telling the whole world that Africans had an identity before colonalisation.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by confusion247(m): 4:37pm On Mar 24, 2013
Mr. Globe:

What more is there to be said. Nairaland is like a field where retartded individuals have the opportunity to display foolishness and relate with smart and intelligent folks. The Op will have such fraudsters as awolowo, Fashola and Tinubu as a hero and contributor to the development of Nigeria as against people like Achebe and Soyinka
You have murdered the foolish, tribal bigotry OP. His Nigeria is making speedy progress with self destruction.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 4:41pm On Mar 24, 2013
afroxyz: . That is why his prodigee Chiamanda could have the audacity to say "I'm Igbo and African". She like her mentor did not believe in Nigeria. We don't need such people in our trying moments like this
shut your dirty mouth up. is it by force to be Nigerian? what do you say about awo who said he was first an ijebu before being Yoruba before being Nigerian? And you must be a fool for thinking anybody gives a flying fvck about Nobel prize.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by manuelo130: 4:42pm On Mar 24, 2013
The initiator of this thread does not seem to understand the word "development". His thread restricted development to physical infrastructure and that is the lowest value on the ladder rung of the definition of that word.
Like someone else pointed out, Achebe excelled at what he did and that is not contestable. All he fought for his entire life was for the government of Nigeria to live up to their expectations.

We are so used to telling critics of governments to come and join and contribute their quota but we forget the corrupting influence associated with being a part of governement. I still remember how Tai Solarin was almost messed up when he became a part of the People's bank story.
Even Wole Soyinka with the Roads Safety.
Some people are not cut out for politics and if they decide to contribute their quota to development by other means, so be it.

Can anyone tell me that Abacha or Babangida contributed more to the growth of Nigeria than Achebe just because he did not take up any position or establish a charity in Nigerias.
Let us use our heads please!

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 24, 2013
confusion247:
You have murdered the foolish, tribal bigotry OP. His Nigeria is making speedy progress with self destruction.
When it is bad and Igbos are caught with crimes they claim to be Nigerians, but when they achieved something worth praising they claim to be Biafrans. Of what tricky is more of that than calling Yoruba bigotry?!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 4:43pm On Mar 24, 2013
confusion247:
This got me laughing cheesy cheesy speedy progress to hell grin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem:

Well it's interesting you now acknowledge his work, let's now treat the next point of your chicaneries. Lol

You are actually alone in your assessment of his works. he is acclaimed all over the world. Just google his name,or the novel. So what is it that makes you not to see the very thing that the rest of the world see?

So am thinking that the problem is not with the literature works, rather its is with you. You actually mentioned at the opening that you have not seen the doors of a university. What exactly is your level of enlightenment, that will be a good pointer to the role Achebes works can play in your further enlightenment as a free born African.

Beyond this, am sure you can better understand Chinua's contribution even if you do not realise them for yourself. By creating such works, he is giving you and many other Africans the opportunity to explore intellectual values from the African perspective that you will otherwise not realise.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (37) (Reply)

Buhari Administration: Two Months, Failed Promises, Zero Success... / [photos] Flood In Lekki Phase 1 Despite No Rain / Governor Amosun Meets Anthony Joshua (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.