Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,284 members, 7,842,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41825 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 5:12pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Fight, forget and move on when the reasons you fought for are still unchanged? Have you tried a career in dry comedy? grin

Lie to yourself and hate for the next 100 years about what's unchanged in your ignorant world, that's your palava. ashebe did all that all the way to his grave and the price of garri remains the same so knock yourself out

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 24, 2013
funkybaby:
O se my dear. kiss

That's the question his people have failed to answer.

Infant, Nigeria is too large. They should list his contribution to eastern Nigeria.

grin grin grin grin grin

My Ijebu sister..
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

Lie to yourself and hate for the next 100 years about what's unchanged in your ignorant world, that's your palava. ashebe did all that all the way to his grave and the price of garri remains the same so knock yourself out

lol
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

People fight wars, heal and move on and we've all moved on. Ojuku himself came back and the first nigerian he visited was Awolowo, he reconciled with nigerians, got his family's property back and even contested for elected office here in Nigeria so what the fcukkkkk was ashebes problem.

Since the war, we've had top ibo public officials Nigeria from vice president to senate leader, house leader, party leader, senators reps, governors, ambassadors, ministers, SFG, agency directors, top military leaders and many more top positions in Nigeria, they are major players in arts and entertainment via nollywood, Yoruba land is home to millions of ibo where they are conducting busineses unhindered, ibo men and women have married Yoruba men and women, ibo folks are major public officials in Yoruba land.

Obviously, we've moved on and to claim otherwise is just ignorance and lack of truthfulness. Ashebe was a dead ender and in his heart of stone mind, the was was still raging on 40 years later so there must be continued hostilities, and enmity across Nigeria.

No war last that long and at some point based on the progress we've made and ibo peoples major participation in every aspects of day to today Nigeria, ashebe was on the wrong side of our present realities and we can not stay bitter, angry and divided because one man refused to let go and move one.

Lastly, the primary responsibility of any elder especially at ashebes age remains promoting peace and unity, not to keep promoting grudges and animosity against his own fellow countrymen. We go to elders for peace, we seek their guidance for togetherness, we look up to them harmony and peaceful co existence, not devisiveness, hate and constant highlighting of the things that we are trying to move away from.

And if any of you are into ashebes idea of endless war, hate mongering and devisiveness, you are on your own just like ashebe, you'll spew your hate garbage and go to your grave a bitter and angry man with zero peace and love of country and fellow man.

Let me start by pointing out that the name is Achebe, there is a difference between intellectuality, and ascribing to yourself unbridled arrogance by mutilating the name.
Then:
I am currently in a country where water runs in every faucet in any house. This is a simple feat that the great Nigeria cannot achieve in the 21st century.
The war was fought, and then what?the rest of the East gets dragged into a hell in the name of One Nigeria.
Maybe today's Nigeria is an achievement to you, to me and many like me, it is like reliving the war every single day!

Obviously the book of contention is "There Was A Country" . I still do not understand why the lot of you are over zealous about it. Achebe did not write it for Nigeria.

For years after the civil war, the Nigerian govt. banned its discuss in any form. lots of Us grew up asking questions on why we are treated differently, and the many failures.
This lack of information created a vacuum and misinformation. but then comes Achebe yet again with his parting gift to the future Igbo Generation. His Memories of the War!

If it was not written for you, turn a blind eye and move on!

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 5:15pm On Mar 24, 2013
gbaky_floor:

So, all the raping, maiming, looting/ killings caused by cultism a brainchild of Soyinka is what(if that is not katakata, then what is it).

How many people got killed or raped as a result of Achebe's last book(NIL). Unless you count your whining as katakata.

Even in years to come the igbos will continue to carry grudges against your lot unless you admit your mistake unfortunately education doesn't equate sense/diplomacy.
When are you lots going to admit that you went to war with No strategy, expecting Yoruba to commit suicide with una?

Lol seriously, what was Ojuku thinking when he cheated on his Ibo wife with a Hausa puzzie? Same people that almost wiped your race out. You think Ojuku really had the Ibo man in mind? The more we look at Biafra war, the more it becomes clear that Ojuku was just trigger happy.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 5:17pm On Mar 24, 2013
That Hausa puzzie was sweet huh?

Was the Hausa puzzie Ojuku 's last request?

"nna, send me that guards puzzie " hahaha wink

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 24, 2013
Let's do a comparative analysis now:

Would Hakeem Olajuwon also be regarded as a Nigerian icon when he dies, despite being an upstanding man where he lives, and a legend in his field??

Heck, he's top 50 greatest basketball players ever...
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by funkybaby(f): 5:19pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

grin grin grin grin grin

My Ijebu sister..

My brother, how bodi grin

I just tire for these people. Rather than answer the questions raised on this thread and educate us, they are busy throwing insults and going on and on about Awolowo and Soyinka grin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 5:20pm On Mar 24, 2013
Back to the thread......Africans are always praising tribal warlords, why?

Achebe reminds me of the geeky version of Kony.

The man prolly supported the forced child soldiers of Biafra.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by funkybaby(f): 5:22pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx: Let's do a comparative analysis now:

Would Hakeem Olajuwon also be regarded as a Nigerian icon when he dies, despite being an upstanding man where he lives, and a legend in his field??

Heck, he's top 50 greatest basketball players ever...

Yes na. grin grin federal government would declare public holiday as well. grin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 24, 2013
funkybaby:

My brother, how bodi grin

I just tire for these people. Rather than answer the questions raised on this thread and educate us, they are busy throwing insults and going on and on about Awolowo and Soyinka grin

Lmao... Most of these people deal with sensitive prima donna drama... rather than debate the topic, they're throwing hissy fits everywhere like emotional wrecks..

Perhaps, most of them don't understand the topic... grin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 24, 2013
gbaky_floor:
So, all the Molesting, maiming, looting/ killings caused by cultism a brainchild of Soyinka is what(if that is not katakata, then what is it).

How many people got killed or Molested as a result of Achebe's last book(NIL). Unless you count your whining as katakata.

Even in years to come the igbos will continue to carry grudges against your lot unless you admit your mistake unfortunately education doesn't equate sense/diplomacy..
It is like saying how many car accidents happen on our roads due to the introduction of cars into the country. There are cults all rather fraternities in all well known Universities around the world. The truth is that some Nigerians students with thier sense of savagery beliefs resort to killing fellow students for their own reasons. Why would such thing be blamed on Wole Soyinka?

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 24, 2013
funkybaby:

Yes na. grin grin federal government would declare public holiday as well. grin

Despite ignoring his country of birth and not adding anything to it, no The only reason why he's Nigerian is because his accent is a give-away... grin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by funkybaby(f): 5:26pm On Mar 24, 2013
Galaxy.Note.II:

When are you lots going to admit that you went to war with No strategy, expecting Yoruba to commit suicide with una?

Lol seriously, what was Ojuku thinking when he cheated on his Ibo wife with a Hausa puzzie? Same people that almost wiped your race out. You think Ojuku really had the Ibo man in mind? The more we look at Biafra war, the more it becomes clear that Ojuku was just trigger happy.

No wonder he carried the secret to his grave. He couldn't bear to face the shame and backlash he would have gone through if it had been exposed while he was alive.

Imagine a whole BIAFRIAN warlord fathering a child with a Hausa lady undecided abomination IMO. lipsrsealed
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem:

Oh I see, thanks but you and I would agree that what you just said is what I was getting at

My brother, THAT IS NOT AN AVERAGE NIGERIAN. I hope you are getting my point, what impart has he made for the average almajiri or what you people in the east call "Youths"

And what has Soyinka or Fela contributed to *an average Nigerian*? And I stress again, Soyinka is the reason youths in schools are killing themselves in Nigeria everyday. Fela is the reason, an average Nigeria is smoking weed (the weed has made some mentally deranged and a lot violent.

Chinuba Achebe on th other hand didn't cause any calamity even last book didn't. You are just an inconsequential critic.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 5:29pm On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

Tell your warped truth and spew your hatred for the next 40 years like ashebe and take your truth and anger to your grave like ashebe while your mates are doing something better for their lives, that's your head ache and destiny in life....life goes on just like it is ater ashebe.

Your choice...

Doing something better in this God forsaken land? The country is doing much worse and only people as brave as Achebe ca stand up and say the truth!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 5:31pm On Mar 24, 2013
gbaky_floor:

And what has Soyinka or Fela contributed to *an average Nigerian*? And I stress again, Soyinka is the reason youths in schools are killing themselves in Nigeria everyday. Fela is the reason, an average Nigeria is smoking weed (the weed has made some mentally deranged and a lot violent.

Chinuba Achebe on th other hand didn't cause any calamity even last book didn't. You are just an inconsequential critic.

Fela would keep seven girls and be phucking them at his shrine between puffs of indian hemp, yet he is ano idol for some tribes, smh.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Mar 24, 2013
Give props where it's due - however stop overrating people... We as Nigerians need to raise the standards for those we call our icons and heroes - the standard is just appalling, at the moment...

Perhaps, that's why we have some of the most OVERRATED icons ever!!!

Take a look at the list of the REAL African heroes(those who actually fought for Africa) - isn't it shameful that there's not a single Nigerian on the list
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 5:33pm On Mar 24, 2013
funkybaby:

No wonder he carried the secret to his grave. He couldn't bear to face the shame and backlash he would have gone through if it had been exposed while he was alive.

Imagine a whole BIAFRIAN warlord fathering a child with a Hausa lady undecided abomination IMO. lipsrsealed

Much better than Obj who kept sleeping with his sons wife, double abomination.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by rhymz(m): 5:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
all4naija: Whatever! Yorubas are not helpless people as you guys are trying to portray here. That is a complete fact!
You are a shameless Moderator. How did you become a MOD?? I guess it was through thesame tribalistic consideration.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 5:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
KenGali:

Let me start by pointing out that the name is Achebe, there is a difference between intellectuality, and ascribing to yourself unbridled arrogance by mutilating the name.
Then:
I am currently in a country where water runs in every faucet in any house. This is a simple feat that the great Nigeria cannot achieve in the 21st century.
The war was fought, and then what?the rest of the East gets dragged into a hell in the name of One Nigeria.
Maybe today's Nigeria is an achievement to you, to me and many like me, it is like reliving the war every single day!

Obviously the book of contention is "There Was A Country" . I still do not understand why the lot of you are over zealous about it. Achebe did not write it for Nigeria.

For years after the civil war, the Nigerian govt. banned its discuss in any form. lots of Us grew up asking questions on why we are treated differently, and the many failures.
This lack of information created a vacuum and misinformation. but then comes Achebe yet again with his parting gift to the future Igbo Generation. His Memories of the War!

If it was not written for you, turn a blind eye and move on!

The nigerian government banned any discuss about the civil war ? Are you talking about the Nigeria in mars or the one in Africa?

Apart from the fact that you sound very if ignorant, your post suggests that ashebe successfully poisoned a few minds, minds destined to end up bitter, vengeful and angry to their graves while the rest of us move on.

Goodluck to you as you embark on that hateful and bigoted ashebe journey to your grave.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 5:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx: Give props where it's due - however stop overrating people... We as Nigerians need to raise the standards for those we call our icons and heroes - the standard is just appalling, at the moment...

Take a look at the list of the REAL African heroes(those who actually fought for Africa) - isn't it shameful that there's not a single Nigerian on the list

Instead, you are aiming to end your life as one of the 50 best African bigots.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 5:36pm On Mar 24, 2013
Mr. Globe:

I am not tribalistic but I will not let Yoruba people with inbred tribalism paint Achebe in bad light before the international community at this time of his death where his information is being searched worldwide. That is what they hope to do. I advice you to be cautious while showing sympathy to the yorubas, they hate you and will backstab you at any given opportunity.

FACT - Achebe is an icon, a hero, a great statesman, a world class citizen. He sits before kings and world leaders. He is respected home and abroad. This cannot change. It is only an ignorant person that will try to say stupids things.

MY HUMBLE ADVICE - You cannot fight
Achebe's battle. We are too small for that. Sheathe your sword brother and promote love. Love your enemies and with time they would be forced to change their perception about you. So forget this and use your emotions to benefit yourself and mankind
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 5:38pm On Mar 24, 2013
all4naija: It is like saying how many car accidents happen on our roads due to the introduction of cars into the country. There are cults all rather fraternities in all well known Universities around the world. The truth is that some Nigerians students with thier sense of savagery beliefs resort to killing fellow students for their own reasons. Why would such thing be blamed on Wole Soyinka?

Because he planted the evil tree that produced the poisoned fruits, he should take full responsibility.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

People fight wars, heal and move on and we've all moved on. Ojuku himself came back and the first nigerian he visited was Awolowo, he reconciled with nigerians, got his family's property back and even contested for elected office here in Nigeria so what the fcukkkkk was ashebes problem.

Since the war, we've had top ibo public officials Nigeria from vice president to senate leader, house leader, party leader, senators reps, governors, ambassadors, ministers, SFG, agency directors, top military leaders and many more top positions in Nigeria, they are major players in arts and entertainment via nollywood, Yoruba land is home to millions of ibo where they are conducting busineses unhindered, ibo men and women have married Yoruba men and women, ibo folks are major public officials in Yoruba land.

Obviously, we've moved on and to claim otherwise is just ignorance and lack of truthfulness. Ashebe was a dead ender and in his heart of stone mind, the was was still raging on 40 years later so there must be continued hostilities, and enmity across Nigeria.

No war last that long and at some point based on the progress we've made and ibo peoples major participation in every aspects of day to today Nigeria, ashebe was on the wrong side of our present realities and we can not stay bitter, angry and divided because one man refused to let go and move one.

Lastly, the primary responsibility of any elder especially at ashebes age remains promoting peace and unity, not to keep promoting grudges and animosity against his own fellow countrymen. We go to elders for peace, we seek their guidance for togetherness, we look up to them harmony and peaceful co existence, not devisiveness, hate and constant highlighting of the things that we are trying to move away from.

And if any of you are into ashebes idea of endless war, hate mongering and devisiveness, you are on your own just like ashebe, you'll spew your hate garbage and go to your grave a bitter and angry man with zero peace and love of country and fellow man.

cool cool cool Thank you for summing it all up
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Instead, you are aiming to end your life as one of the 50 best African bigots.

Bwhahahahahahaha

At the end of the day, that's also an achievement... There's no good or bad, everything just depends on your thought process... Heck, Hitler is on every list about the most powerful men ever to walk this planet... and certain people still justify what he did and they believe he did no wrong... wink

I'm who I'm - I don't need your accolades, mate.. grin

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by phantom(m): 5:40pm On Mar 24, 2013
Boss13: I previously considered you to be a beautiful mind with the way you analyze political issues. However, i am shocked you would stoop this low and incline yourself to tribal backwardness.
his case is pitiful really...reminds me of majek fashek..
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 5:41pm On Mar 24, 2013
funkybaby:

[size=18pt]My sister, for more than 2 decades, Ojuku was afraid of his own shadows. LOL

He should have just come out with it. His people have no measuring standard on who they respect, as long as he's a tribalist. [/size]

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Blueboy0402: 5:43pm On Mar 24, 2013
Boss13:

Did you deliberately decided to ignore soyinka, fela, ahmadu bello, sanusi, femi kuti Or were you referring to biafra?

Can we for once appreciate our country. Let stop the spread of tribalism. Let us correct the errors of our fathers. I still believe in Nigeria
Fela, Soyinka are great men and I respect them. "There was a country" is the identity of the Igbo man. "There was a country" is a mirror reflection of the current happenings in the geographical expression called Nigeria. "There was a country" is a reflection of the injustice, deceit, quota system, tribalism, federal character and inbalance in Nigeria. We are all crying bacause of the menace of boko haram but "there was a country" saw these jihadists, virgin seekers, bombings and killings in the 1960's. Let us learn from history and avoid the mistakes of our fathers.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 5:43pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Doing something better in this God forsaken land? The country is doing much worse and only people as brave as Achebe ca stand up and say the truth!

Saying the truth and peddling hate and bigotry are 2 different things.

BTW, inciting hatred and continued enmity while you sit your azzz in a comfy climate away from the consequences is not bravery, its cowardice.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 24, 2013
Is Sade Adu also a Nigerian hero??

She was born in Ibadan, Nigeria... grin Heck, she has got full naija names... wink

And she'll go down as one of the greatest artists ever, when it's all said and done... wink
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by rhymz(m): 5:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx: Give props where it's due - however stop overrating people... We as Nigerians need to raise the standards for those we call our icons and heroes - the standard is just appalling, at the moment...

look at this confused Ghetto gansgtar yapping about standards, when was the last time your ignorant azz was in Nigeria let alone have true life experience of what it is like living in Nigeria.
Even if you add up all the crackheads in your ghetto infested families in the Bronx, they still will not qualify to lace the man's shoes let alone criticize the man. Enjoy the illusions of grandeur that NL grants, with it, nonentities and crackers like you can parade as some intellectuals for a few hours before retiring to your real drug life.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (37) (Reply)

Chukwuma Bamidele Dies (Nnamdi-Azikiwe's First-Son) / Ibrahim Buba Gayius Jailed For 70 Years / How Tinubu, Oshiomhole And Balarabe Musa Stopped My Defection - Shehu Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.