Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,807 members, 7,827,968 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (279) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1497504 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:46pm On Apr 21, 2016
Saf999:
Gud day house i intend spawning by next week by His grace bt my questions are as follows :1 what is the quantity of salt to be added to water to make it saline 2 amount of fresh water to be added to the ferterlized egg before spreading on incubator 3 should the spawning net touch the water or shld it be suspended above the water i. e no contact with water. Pls ur response will be highly appreciated. I jst want to give it a try
easier,buy 0.9 saline water,just 120 naira,d spawning net should be in contact with water,using a floated like robonski posted a sometime ago or using sac fibre like d ones we cut from rice bags(cumbersome) & many more ideas u can use to prevent d eggs from coming out of water.water should not touch d eggs before d Serum, d saline or salt water is essentially to assist to increase serum quantity(for issues of low serum volume from d male/Males sac),also stands as disinfectant to d eggs.when H2O is added,fertilisatn begins, the fertilization takes 1minute or few seconds more than it,keep mixing so all the eggs would have an opportunity to be fertilize etc. Robonski mentioned he intends to do practical training, hence you can cease the opportunity to attend or contact him for details

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Enough1980: 6:50pm On Apr 21, 2016
Hi all,

Pls, i need info on the followings:

- How many fingerling does 12 by 12 size of pond can take till maturity?
- Is it good for the pond to directly under sunlight?
- What is the quantity of feed can 1000 fingerling eat till maturity?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ennybiyi: 7:02pm On Apr 21, 2016
Good evening, am new on here but have read a lot on here, I waant to start my fish farm as well, I don't know if there is anyone here who has pond(earthing) for rentage in Apata side or ogbomoso, wiith access to water. Am interested please.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by eugymuna: 1:35am On Apr 22, 2016
Please does any one have 1kg fish ready for delivery , I need between 1000 to 3000 pieces.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pinnocho: 8:20am On Apr 22, 2016
Good Morning Friends. Please, does anyone have a formular on the quantity of feed needed to feed fishes at different stages (weekly or monthly). My fingerlings are going to be three weeks soon, I am confused on the quantity of 2mm bags to get for them. They have been picking 1.5mm since last week.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:32am On Apr 22, 2016
pumppie:
Though I haven’t seen the report you guys are talking about neither do I know this guy but yes 5m even in maximum 3months is possible with mélange fish farming.
60,000 fingerlings to be feed with #3,960,000 to attain average weight of 400g will give you a total of 24,000kg (800baf) and a gross return of #10,320,000 if u sell at #430/kg.
Cost of fingerlings and feeding (excluding miscellaneous) amounts to #4,560,000
Profit= #5,760,000
bro i don't think any is saying this or that could not be achieve,the point is don't just write, not surface talk,but give indepth info so it is more enlightened info/fact that is verifiable/falsifiable before all.what you wrote, 60k fingerlings=600k,N3.96m feeding i.e N66 to feed Each to 400g. I won't discuss this, but d point is whenever we give a forecast like d guy/lady that mentioned N5m,let your aspiring investors know at what cost,here u analyse N4.5m, how many can?Not all. Even if you spawn successfully,you might achieve it under large production

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Businesstools(m): 10:09am On Apr 22, 2016
Please house, where can I get cupeid (Local fish meal) to buy at low price? Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stonedigital: 11:03am On Apr 22, 2016
Businesstools:
Please house, where can I get cupeid (Local fish meal) to buy at low price? Thanks
What quantity (kg) do u need?
Its 600per kg.
It comes as dried fish so u will grind it yourself. Don't buy d ready made one cos dey have mixed it with other material( avoid fake fishmeal by grinding itself)
08025296420. Call if u re intersted
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lawstenie: 11:24am On Apr 22, 2016
Hello everyone, am a newbie in fish farming and i have learnt a lot from this thread. A very big thnks to all the selfless coaches in the house. may God reward you for all that you are doing here. (1) I stocked 700 fingerlings recently and they are doing well. Please how do i know the runts among them? (2) I am using white plastic tank of 1200 litres for now, how many of it can contain the 700 fingerlings to table size stage?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by eugymuna: 11:28am On Apr 22, 2016
eugymuna:
Please does any one have 1kg fish ready for delivery , I need between 1000 to 3000 pieces.
I need 500 to 3000 pieces of 1kg fish ASAP, please contact me , give me ur price and location. U can whatsapp me 07056687701
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by eugymuna: 11:30am On Apr 22, 2016
good morning house, please
I need 500 to 3000 pieces of 1kg fish ASAP, please contact me , give me ur price and location. U can whatsapp me 07056687701
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stonedigital: 12:49pm On Apr 22, 2016
eugymuna:

good morning house, please
I have 800kg and will be selling on d 28 of this month.
I also have 1500 kg of milange.
Price for grow out= 530per kg
Milange 2 for 1 kilo= 450 per kg
Millange 4 for 1 kilo= 430 per kg
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stonedigital: 1:07pm On Apr 22, 2016
Hello house, for those in need of Tarpolin to build their p. d f. grow out fish should contact me for a quality Tarpolin with ten years lifespan guaranty.
Benefit of Tarpolin include:
1: less expensive compared to conrete or earth pond
2: Tarpolin pond is mobile. All u need to do is use bolt
and nail to construct it, and u can just dismantle it and transport to your new location.
3. U can fix any leakage within minutes with transfering
Your fish to another pond.
4. U can have a water level of 4feet for faster growth of
Fish.
5. U can sort your fish as easy as possible without stressing your fish.
6. Size of d tarpolin is 46×16 feet and the prize and can be used to construct 36×6×4feet pond.
7. And your pond can be ready within 2 days maximum.
Please call if interested or visit my farm for a practical knowledge on how to build your tarpolin pond.
Call: 08025296420

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stonedigital: 2:45pm On Apr 22, 2016
lawstenie:
Hello everyone, am a newbie in fish farming and i have learnt a lot from this thread. A very big thnks to all the selfless coaches in the house. may God reward you for all that you are doing here. (1) I stocked 700 fingerlings recently and they are doing well. Please how do i know the runts among them? (2) I am using white plastic tank of 1200 litres for now, how many of it can contain the 700 fingerlings to table size stage?

Hello sir, welcome to d house. About your 700 fingerling, ur tank is too small to raise that amount of catfish. The maximum u can rear to table size on 1200 litres tank is 100. To rear 500 fish to table size, u need a 12*12*4 pond. For new farmers like u I will even advice u put just stock 300 pieces on a 12*12*4 feet pond to avoid loss. Pls try and invest little and and increase ur stock as time goes on. Fish farming is not a child's play cos u need serious cash and experience to be successful in it. Fish farming is another school entirely, so try and start from d cradle(start from kindergarten and primary school) before talking of profit. If u can recover all ur recurrent expenses after selling ur fish, it simply means u will be successful in it on your next batch of stocking. Please try and visit a well established farm and learn from them and make sure u pay the owner so that the seriousness will be there. Just my 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by eugymuna: 2:47pm On Apr 22, 2016
Please where is your location,
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stonedigital: 3:03pm On Apr 22, 2016
eugymuna:

Am in Lagos, badagry
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stonedigital: 3:05pm On Apr 22, 2016
eugymuna:

I also have 300pcs of 1.5kg dish @600per kg
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stonedigital: 3:06pm On Apr 22, 2016
eugymuna:

I also have 300pcs of 1.5kg fish @600per kg
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by eugymuna: 3:55pm On Apr 22, 2016
Am in port Harcourt, would prefer people around, do u have any contact
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:30pm On Apr 22, 2016
Saf999:
Gud day house i intend spawning by next week by His grace bt my questions are as follows :1 what is the quantity of salt to be added to water to make it saline 2 amount of fresh water to be added to the ferterlized egg before spreading on incubator 3 should the spawning net touch the water or shld it be suspended above the water i. e no contact with water. Pls ur response will be highly appreciated. I jst want to give it a try

To be candid i have never used any measurement parameter to make a salin water.. what i do i take a half cup of water add a little quantity of salt and have a thirst of it.. if it taste like "TEARS" then its ok.. If its too salty i add more water till i get that tears thirst.. Thats my old fashion way of getting my salin...Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lawstenie: 6:46pm On Apr 22, 2016
stonedigital:
Hello sir, welcome to d house. About your 700 fingerling, ur tank is too small to raise that amount of catfish. The maximum u can rear to table size on 1200 litres tank is 100. To rear 500 fish to table size, u need a 12*12*4 pond. For new farmers like u I will even advice u put just stock 300 pieces on a 12*12*4 feet pond to avoid loss. Pls try and invest little and and increase ur stock as time goes on. Fish farming is not a child's play cos u need serious cash and experience to be successful in it. Fish farming is another school entirely, so try and start from d cradle(start from kindergarten and primary school) before talking of profit. If u can recover all ur recurrent expenses after selling ur fish, it simply means u will be successful in it on your next batch of stocking. Please try and visit a well established farm and learn from them and make sure u pay the owner so that the seriousness will be there. Just my 2 cents

Thanks a lot dear, i appreciate your advice and encouragement.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:03pm On Apr 22, 2016
stonedigital:

I am proud of you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 7:57pm On Apr 22, 2016
ennybiyi:
Good evening, am new on here but have read a lot on here, I waant to start my fish farm as well, I don't know if there is anyone here who has pond(earthing) for rentage in Apata side or ogbomoso, wiith access to water. Am interested please.
#which Apata are u referring to? Ibadan own? If yes I hav u can contact me on 07065874135
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by heartbitmi: 5:29am On Apr 23, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
bro i don't think any is saying this or that could not be achieve,the point is don't just write, not surface talk,but give indepth info so it is more enlightened info/fact that is verifiable/falsifiable before all.what you wrote, 60k fingerlings=600k,N3.96m feeding i.e N66 to feed Each to 400g. I won't discuss this, but d point is whenever we give a forecast like d guy/lady that mentioned N5m,let your aspiring investors know at what cost,here u analyse N4.5m, how many can?Not all. Even if you spawn successfully,you might achieve it under large production
i honestly think you should ask questions where necessary or you can as well ignore the comment. i actually requested Mr Ola (pumppie) and mr israel adediran (mr fish) to comment on this issue of whether 5m can be achieved within that space or not, the latter declined for very respectable reasons. both men are contemporaries and my mentor and foremost consultants. my self and many others have benefited greatly from mr ola's melange model which yields over 100% ROI. i think there are more subtle ways of making requests from people you don't just order them or come at them in such a tone just because this is internet. please kindly be mindful that you may not be the best professional in this field observing things on this thread, some don't even make comments. it is my desire to encourage such heavy weights to make comments so as to further grow this thread and help more people. so please if you have questions or need clarifications kindly and politely ask. regards.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:35am On Apr 23, 2016
pumppie:
Though I haven’t seen the report you guys are talking about neither do I know this guy but yes 5m even in maximum 3months is possible with mélange fish farming.
60,000 fingerlings to be feed with #3,960,000 to attain average weight of 400g will give you a total of 24,000kg (800baf) and a gross return of #10,320,000 if u sell at #430/kg.
Cost of fingerlings and feeding (excluding miscellaneous) amounts to #4,560,000
Profit= #5,760,000
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:46am On Apr 23, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:48am On Apr 23, 2016
robonski15:

Thank you very much sir i appreciate, we also commend your great advice on this thread.. you are very correct sir but to be honest how many farmers can stock 350,000 fingerlings/juvenile at a go.. well his idea might be feasible but he needs to provide more statistics on how to achieve it..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:26am On Apr 23, 2016
heartbitmi:
i honestly think you should ask questions where necessary or you can as well ignore the comment. i actually requested Mr Ola (pumppie) and mr israel adediran (mr fish) to comment on this issue of whether 5m can be achieved within that space or not, the latter declined for very respectable reasons. both men are contemporaries and my mentor and foremost consultants. my self and many others have benefited greatly from mr ola's melange model which yields over 100% ROI. i think there are more subtle ways of making requests from people you don't just order them or come at them in such a tone just because this is internet. please kindly be mindful that you may not be the best professional in this field observing things on this thread, some don't even make comments. it is my desire to encourage such heavy weights to make comments so as to further grow this thread and help more people. so please if you have questions or need clarifications kindly and politely ask. regards.
bro I didn't quote you and even if I did, which isn't the case, no challenge. I mentioned an issue and robonski replied and base on that discuss pumppie wrote what I quoted from the discussion, hence where do you come in? Who is contesting with anyone? I don't need subtle ways of doing things, I speak/write direct without mincing truth or words. I have never claim I am the best, so I always try to put in some of my comments that we learn daily because I know some might come around thinking one is laying claim to be better than them(laugh). Whatever I mentioned to pumppie is valid, neither did I do an offence. I commend people when such is doing great; and I don't think it is proper to coax any to see things your way without having facts. HEAVY WEIGHTS? great, since inception of this thread many years ago; I have being writing and meeting some and commending good works from others & even there is a relationship of recommending gurus across boards to prospective fish farmers; my advice is simple, whatever you write, let it be verifiable and with clarity as we are on internet. This thread; you don't post what you cant explain appropriately to assist aspiring farmers or enlighten practicing fish farmers ( it is robonski's thread and has become a resource for getting great insight for many fish farmers within and outside the nation, especially africa ) , no offence.

I make comments when I see a question that hasn't been answered or an issue raised that I feel to rub minds with the poster or if asked/mentioned, and in cases where a previous discussion I was involve in spill over into more evaluation.

It is always good, to not be in much hurry to want to justify oneself. Let the heavy weights continue and I will continue when the need arises; hence when the heavy weights see that my comments are false, let them state it clearly.

so my brother, regards.
( All what I quoted above are the discussion that robonski replied me, what pumppie wrote and what I wrote to pumppie)

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 23, 2016
Ttalk:
Good afternoon my people, i just want to use this medium to thank selfless member of this forum who have been generous with information to young catfish farmers and i have been tutored by so many of you despite being far apart but your advise has been the light that illuminate the darkness world of fish farming.

One of my resolution to produce 50% of my feed by myself this year [2016] has been achieved with the designing of a locally produced grinding and pelletising machine that i now use to produce my rich pelletised feed. The 2 in 1 diesel machine uses one motor to drive the grinding as well as the pelletising machine and it has been very efficient.

My thanks goes to our professor in feed formulation, our amiable Ab1x for his contribution and advice on feed formula. I am very proud to announce that my 2mm feed with 40% fishmeal, 45% animal protein and 54.7 crude protein is less expensive compare to coppens 2mm. It is an eye opener that our local feeds if well formulated is far richer than the so called foreign feeds.

Mr Robonski, Soft777, Oga excellesoir, Chilanfarm, Komakan, Phemmy, Mecylicious, Billy and my respectable Nuvemberz, you are wonderful people, you have driven the passion to take calculated risk into our lives and we would not disappoint you.

Thank you all

Am so proud of u man! Kudos.
With time, u will start sourcing for the ingredients in bulk, ur trailers of ingredients will stat offloading to ur warehouse.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 23, 2016
I have a question on feed formulation. How do u guys dry ur feeds in rainy season?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 1:10pm On Apr 23, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
bro I didn't quote you and even if I did, which isn't the case, no challenge. I mentioned an issue and robonski replied and base on that discuss pumppie wrote what I quoted from the discussion, hence where do you come in? Who is contesting with anyone? I don't need subtle ways of doing things, I speak/write direct without mincing truth or words. I have never claim I am the best, so I always try to put in some of my comments that we learn daily because I know some might come around thinking one is laying claim to be better than them(laugh). Whatever I mentioned to pumppie is valid, neither did I do an offence. I commend people when such is doing great; and I don't think it is proper to coax any to see things your way without having facts. HEAVY WEIGHTS? great, since inception of this thread many years ago; I have being writing and meeting some and commending good works from others & even there is a relationship of recommending gurus across boards to prospective fish farmers; my advice is simple, whatever you write, let it be verifiable and with clarity as we are on internet. This thread; you don't post what you cant explain appropriately to assist aspiring farmers or enlighten practicing fish farmers ( it is robonski's thread and has become a resource for getting great insight for many fish farmers within and outside the nation, especially africa ) , no offence.

I make comments when I see a question that hasn't been answered or an issue raised that I feel to rub minds with the poster or if asked/mentioned, and in cases where a previous discussion I was involve in spill over into more evaluation.

It is always good, to not be in much hurry to want to justify oneself. Let the heavy weights continue and I will continue when the need arises; hence when the heavy weights see that my comments are false, let them state it clearly.

so my brother, regards.
( All what I quoted above are the discussion that robonski replied me, what pumppie wrote and what I wrote to pumppie)
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 1:33pm On Apr 23, 2016
excelsiorfarm:

so my brother, regards.
my dear brother, I strongly understand ur line of thought. I was only briefied on d possibilty of making that much in a short while which I gave a brief breakdown. Its a projection based on a proven model upon which other successful models have been made. Mind u, d original model was just for 6000 fingerlings to melange. So sure not all can do over 4.5m or so, but all can benefit even on a small scale. And at more convenient time I will give details of about 2 different models on melange fish that can change peoples life In a short period. N.b: d difference in model is just with the type of feed used). Its no top secrete, its probably what most of us know but ignore.

I applaud ur efforts and that of d creator of d thread and all other professionals....will be back soon. Tnx

(1) (2) (3) ... (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.