Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Should I Return To Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should I Return To Nigeria? (24910 Views)

Anyaoku Urges Return To Regional Govt / Patience Jonathan To Return To Nigeria Soon / Daniel Can’t Return To Pdp –obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Apr 04, 2013
Home iz home man. I think u leave 4rm naija nd wen u get their u adapt 2 their lifestyle. D same thing we happen wen u cum bak again. Nd if ur wife really luv u. She we follow u. Nd ur children u ar their father. Dnt 4get u ar d head of d family. Who knws if u cum bak mayb u will contribute 2 growth of our great country.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Dreamflyin(m): 4:10pm On Apr 04, 2013
U wanna come home?
Really?
I was in humewood, PE for 6months, and i bet u, SA is next to heaven co pared to this riot called Nigeria.
Nigeria is good if u've got a big biz u wanna do here, but coming down wit ur Xhosa wifey is a NO NO!! She'll run bak to SA wit d kids after few months. No Boardwalk, parks for d kids. They'll just hang u as d dad, seriously.

They'll also stick out, and dat in naija is nt gud ooo among their fwllow kids. Nw wat about d noisy generator u'll hav to get? Hw about d potholes u'll drive dem on, or wil u just stick ur family in Lekki?

Sir, to avoid future fence off wit d family, it's better they visit dan stayin bak. Marrying a foreigner is a one way highway. D kids will neva come n settle bak home. U'll nt b d first or d last. Please, let ur family stay bak.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Chanchit: 4:13pm On Apr 04, 2013
Nigeria is 99.9% safer than SA, so far u r not thinking of settling in d north(bomb) or East(kidnappers) Lagos is far safe.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by coogar: 4:14pm On Apr 04, 2013
playmode: I have lived in South Africa for close to 13 years but have been planning to return to Nigeria with my family for the past two years. Over the past two years i have sent money home to arrange a place for me and my family to reside in and have done a lot of research to determine what I will do when I get to Nigeria.

All my plans however have been put in disarray with the worsening Political, Infrastructural and Security problems in Nigeria. I just learnt yesterday that there has been close to 10 kidnappings in the lekki axis where i own a property and this just worries me.

Living abroad all these years has definitely "spoilt" me. Now i am used to constant electricity & water, good roads ,clean open market, parks , cheap ADSL internet, advanced security , strong currency , efficient service providers ,quick access to modern technology , world class medical facilities e.t.c All these things makes my life easy and enables me to earn a decent living. My wife is South African just as my kids are and they are also spoiled by the easy life in South Africa.

The recent state of kidnappings in Nigeria has scared my wife who was once eager to move to Nigeria to become reluctant to move. As everyday passes I see the hope of moving to Nigeria with my family fading away. My In laws have even made it clear to me that they do not want their daughter moving permanently to Nigeria because of the kidnapping situation. I have tried defending Nigeria in their presence but everyday news of bombing or kidnapping emanates from Nigeria.

My question to all Nairalanders especially the ones in Nigeria is this :

(A) If you were in my shoes what will you do?

(B) Is it worth it to come back to Nigeria at this time or should I wait a few more years till the security situation get better?

(C) Should I leave my family in South Africa, come back to Nigeria and visit SA once every two months?

Please only serious minded people need reply and please none of that “I am the first to comment” nonsense. This is a thread directed at mature adults with some level of intelligence. Thank you.

if you don't have enough money or a steady stream of income that can give you a mirror image of what you currently enjoy then never go to nigeria. people would build castles in the air for you with their mouths but they are all lying. only 1% of the population are actually living, the others are only existing!

home is where you make it - i dunno how people get home sick. i love nigeria but i don't miss it to the point of thinking about relocation. the time is not right at all so stay put until you can afford a nice house in a well-secured area....if you are married to my sister and you relocate her to nigeria and something terrible happens to her, i would kill you!

10 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by redsun(m): 4:14pm On Apr 04, 2013
The tale of a blackman.Caught between the devil and the deep blue.

Foreign land is the devil,while his never dowell people is the deep blue sea and he is caught inbetween.

I feel you bruv.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Dreamflyin(m): 4:15pm On Apr 04, 2013
And please who said Naija is safer dan SA?
Please, please n please, are we really in d same Nigeria?
I walks home from Gondwanas at 3am. I enters PE township(ghetto) at 1am; can i walk tru Aj at 2am, or even my ole nice Onitsha at 2am?
Come on!
If d media is to report all d crimes happening 4 naija ehhh... Na run u go run.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Kx: 4:16pm On Apr 04, 2013
playmode: I have lived in South Africa for close to 13 years
Living abroad all these
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by newmaonza: 4:17pm On Apr 04, 2013
@ OP: WHO r u fooling? u r in SA with d best dat life can offer u, and now u want to relocate to LEKKI KIDNAP ZONE. . . .Mtshew, NA PEOPLE WEN DEY WASTE THEIR ADVICE ON U NA DEM I BLAME
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 4:17pm On Apr 04, 2013
nosike3: [b]Chairman!!! Shut the f up!!!! 'I am used to the luxurious life bla bla bla bla bla!!! [/b]You first of all condemn the country u want to come to and then praised your present location.. It is obvious u have made your mind and just want to inform us how ur scr*wed up life is is SA.. For ur info!! If them don deport u,simply tell us and stop all this fronting!!! All this drug pushers in south Africa that give nigerians (igbo) bad name... Relocate to hell for all I care.

Since when is having basic amenities a luxury or an achievementSo constant electricity ,good roads and cheap high speed internet are luxuries? Jeez some people hen! Even the poorest people here enjoy some of these things i just mentioned. You need to re read my post and comprehend the message in it.There is no part where i rated SA over Nigeria.I simply stated facts and my genuine concerns.By the way i am Yoruba from Lagos with legit businesses that pay tax to the South African revenue Service so please stop your tribal bashing and childish accusations. I am sure you saw the part where i requested for mature adults to give me advice.Since when is asking for honest unbiased advice a crime or an insult to Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
Dreamflyin: And please who said Naija is safer dan SA?
Please, please n please, are we really in d same Nigeria?
I walks home from Gondwanas at 3am. I enters PE township(ghetto) at 1am; can i walk tru Aj at 2am, or even my ole nice Onitsha at 2am?
Come on!
If d media is to report all d crimes happening 4 naija ehhh... Na run u go run.
ita no stab you
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
You have wasted 13yrs of your life in SA, now you say you need a place to stay and also mention that you own a property in lekki axis, you are a fat liar. Did you say there are 10 kidnappings in Lekki ? I can only say God punish you. Cos there is no such things here, bring it on clever nematode.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by 5alive(m): 4:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
u married a south african woman.? Na una dey make thos south african smal pric*k men to dey vex say nija dey carry all their women

2 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 4:20pm On Apr 04, 2013
sobastical: This man must be a learner, please kindly come to nigeria only on vacation. That's only the best option for now.

I take offence to your first sentence,if you don't have any advice to give me do not post.This is what i dislike about some Nigerians,ask them for advice and they reply with insults.Can you not see how others have replied sharing their personal views with me without sly commnets?Why can't you just be civil and do the same?
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Apr 04, 2013
option c......

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by eledalo: 4:22pm On Apr 04, 2013
@Poster
Clearly, you are feeling homesick. But don't let feelings of nostalgia and 'home sweet home' cloud your thoughts!

Schedule a 3 to 4 week vacation with your family in Lagos. You will be able to say for yourself whether you want to live in Lagos, Nigeria or just to visit occasionally.
Lagos is not safe, do not be deceived. Trust me, many of us who have lived abroad have had feelings of 'sweet Nigeria, my home'.

You miss the memories of home and just need an extended holiday in Nigeria.

nosike3: Chairman!!! Shut the f up!!!! 'I am used to the luxurious life bla bla bla bla bla!!! You first of all condemn the country u want to come to and then praised your present location.. It is obvious u have made your mind and just want to inform us how ur scr*wed up life is is SA.. For ur info!! If them don deport u,simply tell us and stop all this fronting!!! All this drug pushers in south Africa that give nigerians (igbo) bad name... Relocate to hell for all I care.

Poster
You can see what you will meet in Nigeria.
Beware!

3 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 4:24pm On Apr 04, 2013
50calibre: Returning home should depend on what is waiting for you at home. Weigh up the pros and cons before taking any decision.

Since you said you have a stable and comfortable life in South Africa and with a South African wife, then consider yourself lucky or accomplished as that is something many black people in south africa cant boast of, you are at least in the middle - upper echelon of the South African society, do you wanna throw that away and come battle unemployment, insecurity, lack of power supply, dangerous roads, corruption, erratic/unskilled/lazy/incompetent/foolish police?

Please returning home without a rock- solid long term plan is tantamount to suicide.

Very honest and direct post there.I must say when you put it like that ,the reality is quite scary.Thanks for your input.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by redsun(m): 4:25pm On Apr 04, 2013
If only crime is the problem of nigeria.It could have been easily taken care of.The problem is "subhumanic" leadership and hapless followership that grounds all human intelligence,cooperation,resoucefullness and empathy.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 04, 2013
@Playmode, go with option 'c'.
It is unwise to move your entire family until you've got a firm handle on the security situation.

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by imperiouxx(m): 4:28pm On Apr 04, 2013
playmode: I have lived in South Africa for close to 13 years but have been planning to return to Nigeria with my family for the past two years. Over the past two years i have sent money home to arrange a place for me and my family to reside in and have done a lot of research to determine what I will do when I get to Nigeria.

All my plans however have been put in disarray with the worsening Political, Infrastructural and Security problems in Nigeria. I just learnt yesterday that there has been close to 10 kidnappings in the lekki axis where i own a property and this just worries me.

Living abroad all these years has definitely "spoilt" me. Now i am used to constant electricity & water, good roads ,clean open market, parks , cheap ADSL internet, advanced security , strong currency , efficient service providers ,quick access to modern technology , world class medical facilities e.t.c All these things makes my life easy and enables me to earn a decent living. My wife is South African just as my kids are and they are also spoiled by the easy life in South Africa.

The recent state of kidnappings in Nigeria has scared my wife who was once eager to move to Nigeria to become reluctant to move. As everyday passes I see the hope of moving to Nigeria with my family fading away. My In laws have even made it clear to me that they do not want their daughter moving permanently to Nigeria because of the kidnapping situation. I have tried defending Nigeria in their presence but everyday news of bombing or kidnapping emanates from Nigeria.

My question to all Nairalanders especially the ones in Nigeria is this :

(A) If you were in my shoes what will you do?

(B) Is it worth it to come back to Nigeria at this time or should I wait a few more years till the security situation get better?

(C) Should I leave my family in South Africa, come back to Nigeria and visit SA once every two months?

Please only serious minded people need reply and please none of that “I am the first to comment” nonsense. This is a thread directed at mature adults with some level of intelligence. Thank you.

And after reading all the folktales, I was like "If someone coated ZA like this, what about those in the US/UK/CA?...... Even Aso rock won't be safe for them to stay and those that married British/Canadians/Americans would be asking for title of Lord"

3 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 4:29pm On Apr 04, 2013
exxell: Story Of My Life..... from this write up, all I was able to deduce is one thing: YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE UP YOUR MIND NEVER TO COME BACK TO NIGERIA.YOU JUST WANT CHEAP PUBLICITY STUNT. I know that Nigeria is not perfect but slow and steady; we are getting there. It is better to be a king among my "poor" brothers than a slave among "rich" foreigners. When you die, I hope you will be buried in SA undecided undecided or will they kidnap your corpse too grin grin grin?

SUMMARY, WE DO NOT CARE!

Common dude you know that is not true.What is wrong in asking my brothers and sisters for direction? What publicity will i get on Nairaland when my real identity is unknown? Don't you think that the people living in Nigeria will be more street smart than I who has been away for a while? In Yoruba we say "Abere ono kin shina" meaning "the person who asks for direction never gets lost".I am a very careful person hence why i seldom make mistakes especially when it comes to my life.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 04, 2013
redsun: If only crime is the problem of nigeria.It could have been easily taken care of[b].The problem is "subhumanic" leadership and hapless followership that grounds all human intelligence,cooperation,resoucefullness and empathy[/b].
chei my scrotum eggs collided when i read the bolded lipsrsealed
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 4:30pm On Apr 04, 2013
Fadelex: No matter how bad d situation is, Naija is stil d place, even though everyone is his/her own government i.e u mst av a generator, a bore-hole, pay waste disposal, pay skl fees, pay medical bills, pay for gas, pay for road usage, hire vigilante or opc for security and so on bt most importantly, there is freedom for you here, if u'r ready to become ur own local govt. Come home, nt wit ur family ooo... @least wen u spend like a year or two here den u can relocate dem

Thank you for the advice,much appreciated.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by nosike3(m): 4:30pm On Apr 04, 2013
playmode:

Since when is having basic amenities a luxury or an achievementSo constant electricity ,good roads and cheap high speed internet are luxuries? Jeez some people hen! Even the poorest people here enjoy some of these things i just mentioned. You need to re read my post and comprehend the message in it.There is no part where i rated SA over Nigeria.I simply stated facts and my genuine concerns.By the way i am Yoruba from Lagos with legit businesses that pay tax to the South African revenue Service so please stop your tribal bashing and childish accusations. I am sure you saw the part where i requested for mature adults to give me advice.Since when is asking for honest unbiased advice a crime or an insult to Nigeria
#clapping for you!!! Then stay the f*uck where u are.. Who gives a damn abt ur life there... By the way what do u do in south africa? Sweep the street? Sell fresh fruits? And most importantly... Is you wife 72 years old? Are those kids yours? Do you have HIV? Abeg stay for south africa and don't transfer one of your unseen problems here!! We have enough visible problem!!! Oloshe!!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Pataki: 4:31pm On Apr 04, 2013
South Africa is abroad? shocked shocked shocked grin grin

Orisirisi sha!

3 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by coogar: 4:34pm On Apr 04, 2013
Pataki: South Africa is abroad? shocked shocked shocked grin grin

Orisirisi sha!

every foreign country is abroad by definition.... so niger republic and cotonou are abroad!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 4:35pm On Apr 04, 2013
Dreamflyin: U wanna come home?
Really?
I was in humewood, PE for 6months, and i bet u, SA is next to heaven co pared to this riot called Nigeria.
Nigeria is good if u've got a big biz u wanna do here, but coming down wit ur Xhosa wifey is a NO NO!! She'll run bak to SA wit d kids after few months. No Boardwalk, parks for d kids. They'll just hang u as d dad, seriously.

They'll also stick out, and dat in naija is nt gud ooo among their fwllow kids. Nw wat about d noisy generator u'll hav to get? Hw about d potholes u'll drive dem on, or wil u just stick ur family in Lekki?

Sir, to avoid future fence off wit d family, it's better they visit dan stayin bak. Marrying a foreigner is a one way highway. D kids will neva come n settle bak home. U'll nt b d first or d last. Please, let ur family stay bak.

ROFLMAO - Chai bros you wicked O! My wife is actually half swazi/half zulu. grin
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by imperiouxx(m): 4:35pm On Apr 04, 2013
Pataki: South Africa is abroad? shocked shocked shocked grin grin

Orisirisi sha!

grin grin grin grin outside Nigerian walls is abroad, even Liberia, Cameroun, Togo, Benin, Niger...
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 4:37pm On Apr 04, 2013
coogar:

if you don't have enough money or a steady stream of income that can give you a mirror image of what you currently enjoy then never go to nigeria. people would build castles in the air for you with their mouths but they are all lying. only 1% of the population are actually living, the others are only existing!

home is where you make it - i dunno how people get home sick. i love nigeria but i don't miss it to the point of thinking about relocation. the time is not right at all so stay put until you can afford a nice house in a well-secured area....if you are married to my sister and you relocate her to nigeria and something terrible happens to her, i would kill you!

Well said bro. wink
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by drtwist(m): 4:37pm On Apr 04, 2013
sobastical: This man must be a learner, please kindly come to nigeria only on vacation. That's only the best option for now.
which kind advice una dey give this guy self, is the rate of HIV higher in nigeria than SA? Is pascal pitoria from nigeria? Are we being oppress by white men here? Guy dnt talk like if na only u don go SA.

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by cold(m): 4:38pm On Apr 04, 2013
kekerazi:

My Broda,we in Nigeria did not hear of any Kidnapping in Lekki.I wonder were you got that news from.And from Your post You'll be Residing in Lekki when you come Back.I can assure you Lekki is safer and more comfortable Than were you are staying in S.A - I might not be too sure though-
grin grin grin
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 04, 2013
DJDOLA: Heyyyy bros don't mind them ooo..don't even try 2 come niger now..nigeria is more worst morethan before no light no gud road no water our police are somthin else no security...all dis fork sayin nigera is gud if they give them sa visa they wil live nigeria sharp sharp..if nigeria is gud why millions of nigeria que at embasy for visa nah..I weep for u if u try 2 come
clown grin but he speaks the truth. @OP, I know how you feel, homesick. However, its no longer about you alone, think of your wife and innocent kids. They come first.

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by redsun(m): 4:42pm On Apr 04, 2013
Nigeria is lawless country at the moment,if you want to live there,you have to make your own rules that keeps you alive.

It is lawless,literally.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

No Completed Federal Project In Pdp’s 16 Years Reign – Osinbajo / NLC Threatens Nation’s Shutdown After Bloody Protest / What Is Your Take On Dele Alake’s Appointment As Minister Of Solid Minerals?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.