Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,878 members, 7,862,960 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:50 AM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (26101 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dakunj1(m): 10:22pm On Apr 08, 2013
azimibraun: Make anybody wey dem born frm 1970 above jst shut up.. What do u guys knw abt d book " TFA"? No be d film all of us watch for NTA? Una read d book? I watch d series on NTA in d 80's so on dis matter am nt competent to say anything. Let those who read the book purely talk.
Sir, you dont have to be born in d 60's or earlier to read Things Fall Apart. I was born in the early 90's and I read TFA before I was 15. The book is still lying safely on my dad's shelf along with many other works of Achebe's and Soyinka's and I'll make sure my younger ones - even my unborn children - get familiar with d book. A museum should be built for Chinua Achebe, nd we shouldn't wait till Prof. Soyinka is dead before idolising him. These 2 men along with FELA are our best contributions as a country to the world of ARTS. Lets put our differences aside and celebrate the life of an icon. And to Mr. Sam Omatseye...Sir, some opinions should be expressed in d confines of the living room rather than on the pages of a National newspaper. GBU sir.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 10:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
phantom: the nobel is not given by God but humans with a brain just like you. **jeez..no wonder it was easy for them to take our wealth in exchange for mirrors back in the day**

Yes o
That was how oyibo gave their obas mirrors to view their ugly faces and they sold their folks into slavery
Same mentality
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by aljharem(m): 10:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
Look here are facts and I am waiting for any bigot to dispose of it.

1. How did Achebe frictional/personal encounter translate to African writer's best

2. Achebe can never be respect in Nigeria because of his last book that has destoryed the progress we have tried to foster among Igbos with other ethnic group

3. The world elite and educated, God fearing ones can never respect Achebe because he was a known bigot

4. Achebe has achieved nothing for Igbo people other than create hate in the hearts of younger generations fact

5. Not only did he not achieve anything for Igbo people but also he has no contribution/charity/foundations etc for any african society upon his statue so of what purpose is his "respect"

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 10:25pm On Apr 08, 2013
alj harem: Look here are facts and I am waiting for any bigot to dispose of it.

1. How did Achebe frictional/personal encounter translate to African writer's best

2. Achebe can never be respect in Nigeria because of his last book that has destoryed the progress we have tried to foster among Igbos with other ethnic group

3. The world elite and educated, God fearing ones can never respect Achebe because he was a known bigot

4. Achebe has achieved nothing for Igbo people other than create hate in the hearts of younger generations fact

5. Not only did he not achieve anything for Igbo people but also he has no contribution/charity/foundations etc for any african society upon his statue so of what purpose is his "respect"

See reasoning and grammar
Go and tend to your nama
You are now reasoning like them

The world elite do not respect Achebe indeed
Are Mandela and Wole Soyinka amongst those elites
Ode
Or do you mistake an Almajiri called bello and area boys on nairaland as elites
You really do give credit to eediots don't you

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ak47mann(m): 10:25pm On Apr 08, 2013

look at who is talking? no be recently you learn how to sabi read and write?

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 10:28pm On Apr 08, 2013
Neo-XVI:

Keep washing your yansh in public grin grin I will keep supplying the crowd wink I should take your word for it against the dictionary definition? What brass from a pathetic ignoramus! Pray tell, what word is it? Yoruba?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ROYALD(m): 10:28pm On Apr 08, 2013

iidiot your comment doest not hold water

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by joeyfire(m): 10:28pm On Apr 08, 2013

This is lame even for a bigot of your calibre

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
joeyfire:

This is lame even for a bigot of your calibre

[size=18pt]Is it when you see him eating grass like Nebuchadnezzar that you'll understand that some of these posters are not much different from herbivores[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 10:31pm On Apr 08, 2013
Neo-XVI:

cheesy shocked cheesy shocked Chai! Omo yoba sha!
Now you want to argue an English word with an English dictionary? I am embarrassed for you! You think we're speaking your mother tongue here?

Who taught you what "Semitism means"? The dictionary
Who taught you what "anti" means? The dictionary
The same dictionary tells you what antisemitism means and you want to use your head? The same head you failed through school with? grin grin grin

Your case is irredeemably pathetic!
Because the Dictionary said so does not mean it is correct. Semite is not an English Word so the dictionary is just as dumb as you are.
you have probably forgotten that Anti-semitism and antisemitism are two different things though related. They are German coined words first used by Moritz a German-Jew not English people.
Please learn
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 08, 2013
Free education doesn't mean good education does it?
Someone is arguing with a dictionary? shocked shocked shocked

Whatever is done in darkness is about to come out in the lightness grin

The itiboribo is too much

5 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 10:36pm On Apr 08, 2013
[size=18pt]I still ask
Who is Ibrahim Bello whose words are being quoted here by that character
Are people now granting interviews to Hausa palm wine tappers and suya makers and posting same on nairaland?
[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Emperor007: 10:37pm On Apr 08, 2013
@ Alh Harem,

Please don't comment if you can't compare apple for apple.

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Cusubaba(m): 10:37pm On Apr 08, 2013

hahaha...no wonder northern Nigeria is backward in anything except diseases and beggers. Mallam with due respect ur cow reason better than you. Retarded aboki.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by afinic001(m): 10:39pm On Apr 08, 2013
Mr. Globe:
what do you expect from someone who works for Tinubu and one who is the editor for the most rretarded and disorganized newspaper in Nigeria. This was the same person that wrote against mama HIV awolowo for calling Tinubu a fraudster he is.
For the fact that this fool called the Nobel prize the preeminent prize in literature shows that he lacks any basic knowledge and information in the field and may well be another certificate forger like his master Tinubu.
Well Mr. Sam your grandmother may be a good storyteller but while she died in obscurity and irrelevancy like you will, Achebe sold multi million copies of his stories, more than any African. Dined with world leaders with his stories, had his stories told in major languages in the world, had his stories become part of school curricula world over. Stay here and be feeding crumbs from Tinubu your pay master.

GBAM!!!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Emperor007: 10:40pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando:

Their hearts are as ugly as their faces

^^^

It seems you know them

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by phantom(m): 10:43pm On Apr 08, 2013
seanet01: Because the Dictionary said so does not mean it is correct. Semite is not an English Word so the dictionary is just as dumb as you are.
you have probably forgotten that Anti-semitism and antisemitism are two different things though related. They are German coined words first used by Moritz a German-Jew not English people.
Please learn
disappoint your haters for once by accepting you ve been wasting data , arguing stupidly and move on. ** grabs a cigar and patiently waits for hell to freeze over**

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by MrGlobe(m): 10:44pm On Apr 08, 2013
Cusubaba: hahaha...no wonder northern Nigeria is backward in anything except diseases and beggers. Mallam with due respect ur cow reason better than you. Retarded aboki.
He is not mallam. He is onye ofe.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by MrGlobe(m): 10:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
phantom: disappoint your haters for once by accepting you ve been wasting data , arguing stupidly and move on. ** grabs a cigar and patiently waits for hell to freeze over**
you are asking for too much from ndi ofe. Allow him continue swimming in delusion for the fun of it.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by OneNaira6: 10:49pm On Apr 08, 2013

una see why this man irks me so much, if i ever meet him, I'll probably shoot him after I've stomped his head in and take whatever jail time they give me. honestly there is some people that are a waste and this nigg@ is one of them

1.) Achebe was given that name by not igbos, not Nigerians but in fact outside of the shore he came from and till date been recited by other Africans. A mhuge Fact. now go shove your head in a crate of snakes

2.) and who are this nigerians that's criticize him? hmm lets see bigots like are YOU and other yorubas. unknown trying to make a name for themselves like omatseye that's very yorubanized and who else oh year that one bello we've never heard about till today. now compare that to soyinka, okri, heck even most politicians we no like don praise the man. I don't even know why this people, anything they.don't like something they start shouting "majority of Nigeria" like as if their opinion immediately translates as every ones opinion. my guy sit your chamelon @ss down. don't even try on the comparison on how much he's condemned compared to how much he's praised before or even after his death. me and you know who will lose if we all start trolling this forum with praise against critcism.

3.) so is this man trying to tell us the entire world are uneducated including most nation journalist, writers and especially African writers including the one you are comparing Achebe to really? even went as far to call them ungod fearing?even mendela? see your stupd1ty you no dey shame.

4 and 5.) monkey telling people how someone benefitted them or not. na u be master to preach, taking aspirin for everyone abi? even going to the point of talkig about sh1t he's clueless on.better go and read about his african series work. abeg sit your chamelon, monkey looking, bigotted @ss down. its not a must you have to jump on every thread jumping around like an illiterate on crack. when people are conversing and you have nothing tangible to add, be like the rest of us and STFU. don't make yourself look like a damn fool. Ewu

5 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 10:55pm On Apr 08, 2013
Cusubaba: Mumu... Don't worry you are already living a miserable and bitter life. Very soon you will drink rat poison and die young like AwoThief.

Awolowo died at 78yrs If dying at 78 is dying young then so be it. Its better than living to Achebes age and be bitter, crippled
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 10:59pm On Apr 08, 2013
Mr. Globe:

and you still remain onye ofe that have failed to read or learn. Ever heard of Pulitzer prize? And did #1 onye ofe awo win any award in his lifetime? These ndi ofe sha.

Another Heebo illiterate. You people should focus on selling markate in Alaba and leave intelligent discussion to those that went to school

Go and read about Dele Olojede who won the Pullizer prize in 2005
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ak47mann(m): 10:59pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu:

Awolowo died at 78yrs If dying at 78 is dying young then so be it. Its better than living to Achebes age and be bitter, crippled
awolowo committed suicide dont forget........so is he in a better place?

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by kettykin: 11:01pm On Apr 08, 2013
[size=20pt]A brief About the Nobel prize for literature[/size]

please read this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_controversies

The Prize in Literature has a history of controversial awards and notorious snubs. Arguably, more indisputably major authors have been ignored by the Nobel Committee than have been honored by it Examples include Marcel Proust, Ezra Pound, James Joyce, Vladimir Nabokov, Virginia Woolf, Jorge Luis Borges, Gertrude Stein, August Strindberg, John Updike, Arthur Miller, Bertolt Brecht, Yannis Ritsos, often for political or extra-literary reasons. Conversely, many writers whom subsequent criticism regarded as minor, inconsequential or transitional won the prize
From 1901 to 1912, the committee's work reflected an interpretation of the "ideal direction" stated in Nobel's will as "a lofty and sound idealism", which caused Leo Tolstoy, Henrik Ibsen, Émile Zola and Mark Twain to be rejected[b] Sweden's historic antipathy towards Russia was cited as the reason neither Tolstoy nor Anton Chekhov took the prize[/b] During World War I and its immediate aftermath, the committee adopted a policy of neutrality, favoring writers from non-combatant countries.[38]
The heavy focus on European authors, and Swedes in particular, is the subject of mounting criticism, including from major Swedish newspapers The majority of the laureates have been European. Swedes received more prizes than all of Asia. In 2008, Horace Engdahl, then the permanent secretary of the Academy, declared that "Europe still is the center of the literary world" and that "the US is too isolated, too insular. They don't translate enough and don't really participate in the big dialogue of literature."[40] In 2009, Engdahl's replacement, Peter Englund, rejected this sentiment ("In most language areas ... there are authors that really deserve and could get the Nobel Prize and that goes for the United States and the Americas, as well,"wink and acknowledged the Eurocentric bias of the selections, saying that, "I think that is a problem. We tend to relate more easily to literature written in Europe and in the European tradition."[41

Any body after reading this brief and still uses the Nobel prize as a yard stick for measuring literary success will need to be examined by a psychiatrist Doctor
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by kettykin: 11:05pm On Apr 08, 2013
[size=20pt]How Could the Higgs Boson Lose the Nobel Prize?[/size]

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2012/10/how-could-higgs-boson-lose-nobel-prize/57767/

The Higgs boson discovery didn't win the Nobel Prize in Physics this year despite being the sexiest and perhaps the most significant physics discovery in the last 50 years. You might even be asking yourself why and pondering the meaning of life now that the Nobel jury didn't recognize the God Particle.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by kettykin: 11:09pm On Apr 08, 2013
[size=20pt]Ronald Reagan despite dismantling the Cold war never won a Nobel Peace Price same with Mahatma Ghandi[/size]

The announcement that President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize has inspired a new wave of history-seekers to look into the prize. Who's won and who hasn't? Conservatives have long criticized the award for not recognizing Ronald Reagan, seen by some as instrumental in bringing down communism in Russia.

In this slideshow, we're looking at those who made a great impact on the world, but were never honored with a Nobel Peace Prize. Which of these inspirational leaders should have won? (Special thanks to Foreign Policy magazine for some on this list.)
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 11:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
ak47mann: awolowo committed suicide dont forget........so is he in a better place?

He is in a much better place . Died at 78. One wife, No family coming to fight over his will, His wife not hopping beds all over the country, We didnt discover he had a child for an Hausa woman, He wasnt deaf dumb and lonely in a London hospital

He didnt flee warfront after boasting he would win the war
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Emperor007: 11:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
kettykin: [size=20pt]A brief About the Nobel prize for literature[/size]

please read this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_controversies

Any body after reading this brief and still uses the Nobel prize as a yard stick for measuring literary success will need to be examined by a psychiatrist Doctor

^^^

They may not bother to read it, but would rather prefer to argue blindly. Most of them got their minds running in one track.

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by caustical: 11:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
Achebe died as a depressed man, he will forever be remembered as an old f00l and bigot. No great mind has ever come out of Igboland (indian hemp land).
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by kettykin: 11:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
[size=20pt] Nigerians overate the Nobel prize just because Soyinka Accidentally won it in 1986[/size]

Just as the Nobel Prize people preemptively gave President Obama a Nobel Peace Prize for what he could or would do in office, they should give a Nobel Prize in Literature to me (and then maybe the year after that to you) for what we will accomplish in our Literary Careers with the million bucks, the free donuts and champagne and the NPR drive-time interviews we’ll receive as a Nobel Prize Winner.

http://www.theawl.com/2012/10/how-to-win-the-nobel-prize-in-literature

Obama with practically no administrative experience won a Nobel price after he assumed the US presidency in his first Tenure
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 11:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
kettykin: [size=20pt]Ronald Reagan despite dismantling the Cold war never won a Nobel Peace Price same with Mahatma Ghandi[/size]

Reagan in meeting with Mujahideen fighters in the oval office.

Nobel ko. Trophy ni

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply)

Nigerians Call On Sunday Dare To Help Rescue Siasia’s Mum From Kidnappers / Atiku Congratulates Fintiri, Declares One More Major Mandate To Reclaim / May 29 Committee: Tinubu Inherited Igbo Hatred From Buhari – Ohanaeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.