Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,954 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:30 AM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (25967 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Policewoman(f): 4:08pm On Apr 08, 2013
Nobody should compare Achebe with Soyinka. They were both great literary minds. Achebe however is like the forerunner, the John the Baptist of Africa literature because he put us on the world map. I have issues with Yoruba bigots like Sam Omatseye trying to rubbish the Father of Africa literature with those weak points. I'm highly disappointed in the columnist.

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by caustical: 4:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
Is about that time to crack these sons of gorilla called Igbos (indian hemps) balls grin grin grin

They are always grieved when negative comment about Achebe comes up. I don't blame them because that was the only sane person (he eventually lost his sanity before he died) that is known outside that god forsaken tribe. Give me one Igbo known for good thing and I will give U 20 yorubas.

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by kalunomics(m): 4:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
caustical:

How more retar.d.ed can U be? Igbos (indian hemps) are so dumb that whenever they wanna diss yoruba, the only thing that comes out of their mouth is palm oil. Are your brain cells made of palm oil?
i don't realy entertain tribal bashings but u people can be funny most times. Was stil contemplating on commenting how eze promoe's post got me cracking until u pushed me over the edge! lmfao!!

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by aryzgreat: 4:12pm On Apr 08, 2013
caustical:

How more retar.d.ed can U be? Igbos (indian hemps) are so dumb that whenever they wanna diss yoruba, the only thing that comes out of their mouth is palm oil. Are your brain cells made of palm oil?

shut up! Can u tell me why dis soup is full of palm oil? Do u know wot cholesterol can do to d heart? No wonder them they fat anyhow! angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 4:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
caustical:

Mr retar.d, kindly show me where he mentioned YORUBA? Go get a life foo.l

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by manny4life(m): 4:16pm On Apr 08, 2013
ochukoccna: Under fire by who
Yi_bo Biafrans or undecided
Nigerians grin grin
All Sam did was express his POV
Counter it with a superior one not insult his person with gutter language
This east side of Nigerian rebels never seem to amaze one
They die Biafrans yet are buried and celebrated as Nigerians
1st was Ojukwu,now Achebe and you wonder who next cheesy

Ok na, so all SAM did was express his POV, but when Prof. Achebe expressed his POV, you amongst other people tagged him "tribal bigot", now u can see why you people are known for double mouth.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by mediainspired: 4:17pm On Apr 08, 2013
But why are some people here pathologically and pathetically tribalistic? Eko Ile, alj harem etc come to mind. On what bases? It beats me! Is it inferiority complex or what? Eko Ile in particularly is deranged and disgusting, always stirring up tribal conflicts here. Eko Ile, are u human or an animal? It's nauseating, abeeeg! Mtscheeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!

6 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
mediainspired: But why are some people here pathologically and pathetically tribalistic? Eko Ile, alj harem etc come to mind. On what bases? It beats me! Is it inferiority complex or what? Eko Ile in particularly is deranged and disgusting, always stirring up tribal conflicts here. Eko Ile, are u human or an animal? It's nauseating, abeeeg! Mtscheeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!

That's all? Thanks for the compliments.

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
mediainspired: But why are some people here pathologically and pathetically tribalistic? Eko Ile, alj harem etc come to mind. On what bases? It beats me! Is it inferiority complex or what? Eko Ile in particularly is deranged and disgusting, always stirring up tribal conflicts here. Eko Ile, are u human or an animal? It's nauseating, abeeeg! Mtscheeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!

EKO ILE is the name of an animal (rodent specie) found in sub-sahara africa.

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Cusubaba(m): 4:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

That's all? Thanks for the compliments.

Senseless bitter ape

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 4:25pm On Apr 08, 2013
@eko ile, you are a disgrace to africa. Even soyinka himself would never spew such despicable comments uttered by you. Nadine gordimer, another NOBEL winner, called achebe "father of modern african literature", and much of the world's literary community, even to achebe's hesitation and surprise, said AMEN to it. Ngugi, arymah,etc owe their deserved success to achebe, and they acknowleged it. Who is sam to attempt rubbishing achebe? Soyinka is a great african thinker of the very first order, the nobel comm got it right. Achebe is in his own right, is a great african conscience of the very first order, ask mandela, ask cnn, bbc, chinapost, aljazeera, forbes, telegraph, etc. Eko ile, achebe spoke against racism for every black man, including an ungrateful sam and you.

5 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by GalaxyNoteII: 4:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Love wantintin. I'm sure you know the man is a married man and there is no room for you in his bed...

ROTFL grin
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by caustical: 4:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
Soyinka and Achebe can never and never be equal or else they are giving Nobel laureate in hell or wherever he is.

Igbos are losers and they will continue to be so till thy kingdom come.

Ask them why they hate yorubas so much, and U will start hearing things like Palm oil soup, yoruba have juju and they are betrayed in the civil war.

These are my responses, their complain about yoruba soup shows that they are the dumbe.s.t people on the surface of the earth, every tribe has freedom to eat what they wanna eat and no one forces Igbos to take it. how more dumb can U be claiming that palm oil causes malaria. I knew this God forsaken people case is pathetic the moment I read an article about a man from this forsaken tribe claiming to have studied in america still complain about palm oil causing malaria. Are U all f.00ls? Don't U know what Plasmodium is?

They said yorubas have Juju, but my response is that where was Okija shrine found and many other atrocities they commit in the south east...Can U see these people are irreversible nimcom.poo.p

And about the civil war betrayer, I always tell them to cry a river because U can't complain about your losses in a war when U have made up your mind that that was they only way U wanted to go about resolving any discrepancy U had and we yorubas are not dumb to follow U blindly because we use our brain and not our muscles in making our decisions

7 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by aryzgreat: 4:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
slimghost:

EKO ILE is the name of an animal (rodent specie) found in sub-sahara africa.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Cusubaba(m): 4:28pm On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Same loser talk...
How old are u ape? Bastard curse ape. I pity that cheap lovepeddler that gave birth to senseless useless ape like u.

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by mike404(m): 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2013
dridowu: God bless Nigeria
Which nigeria are yew talking about
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by mike404(m): 4:34pm On Apr 08, 2013
Beans
alexchiny: Ndi Ofe cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Cusubaba(m): 4:35pm On Apr 08, 2013
caustical: Soyinka and Achebe can never and never be equal or else they are giving Nobel laureate in hell or wherever he is.

Ask them why they hate yorubas so much, and U will start hearing things like Palm oil soup, yoruba have juju and they are betrayed in the civil war.

These are my responses, their complain about yoruba soup shows that they are the dumbe.s.t people on the surface of the earth, every tribe has freedom to eat what they wanna eat and no one forces Igbos to take it. how more dumb can U be claiming that palm oil causes malaria. I knew this God forsaken people case is pathetic the moment I read an article about a man from this forsaken tribe claiming to have studied in america still complain about palm oil causing malaria. Are U all f.00ls? Don't U know what Plasmodium is?

They said yorubas have Juju, but my response is that where was Okija shrine found and many other atrocities they commit in the south east...Can U see these people are irreversible nimcom.poo.p

And about the civil war betrayer, I always tell them to cry a river because U can't complain about your losses in a war when U have made up your mind that that was they only way U wanted to go about resolving any discrepancy U had and we yorubas are not dumb to follow U blindly because we use our brain and not our muscles in making our decisions
pls can someone tell me who let this ugly mad dog out? Slowpoke.

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Cusubaba(m): 4:38pm On Apr 08, 2013
caustical: Soyinka and Achebe can never and never be equal or else they are giving Nobel laureate in hell or wherever he is.

Are u OK? Honestly u sound like a mad dog

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Ribaman(m): 4:39pm On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Please keep quiet with your apples and oranges and irrelevant analogies.

Leave thread if you can not stay on topic. This is how people fail WAEC.

Who is talking off point, of the two of us. Who taught you Logic? Or did you cut Logic classes to attend to irrelevant issues like irrational hate and self-degrading tribalism.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 08, 2013
Some Final Thoughts:
[size=18pt]
Achebe has a strange position in the canon: he's simultaneously the best-known English-language writer from the African continent[/size], but that knowledge tends to start and stop at a single novel. There's no doubt that Things Fall Apart was a milestone work, but celebration of that milestone has, curiously, dulled interest in his other works.

Though Achebe stopped writing novels after 1987, the range of his work is daunting: short stories, poetry, essays, plays, memoirs, ... even children's books. One good place to start is his collection of essays Hopes and Impediments (1988), an extended meditation on the relationship between Africa and its former colonizers, the lingering heritage of that colonization on history and culture, and the ways in which we might be able to move ahead. Achebe's famous Conrad essay is here, as is an essay on the American writer James Baldwin, who he admired and considered a friend. Achebe's Baldwin essay is especially good, a plea that, though the universe and our fellow species may give us constant reason for pessimism, we cannot give in to despair.

[size=18pt]From there, Achebe can - and should - lead us to other writers. First among them is his friend and fellow Nigerian author Wole Soyinka, a virtual unknown in this country despite having received the Nobel Prize for literature. In some respects this may be an inevitability of genre - Soyinka's focus has been more on poetry and theatre than prose, and neither makes one a household name in 21st century America - but he's highly worth the effort of seeking out (See Soyinka's statement on Achebe's passing.) If you're willing to stick with poetry, the work of the tragically short-lived Christopher Okigbo is also a must-read.[/size]

These are just the best-known, most canonical writers from Nigeria: the dizzying extent of African literature spans the entire continent. If we are to learn anything from Achebe's legacy, it's the necessity of hearing a people speak with their own voices rather than being spoken for. To honor his passing, though I'm sure he'd appreciate our reading and rereading his books, I think he'd be even more pleased for us to be seeking out those voices for ourselves.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/03/22/1196200/-RIP-Chinua-Achebe

5 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 4:44pm On Apr 08, 2013
[size=18pt]The Nobel for a select few[/size]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 08, 2013
Writing for the Guardian's Comment is free section, [size=18pt]Soyinka said: "No matter the reality, after the initial shock, and a sense of abandonment, we confidently assert that Chinua lives. His works provide their enduring testimony to the domination of the human spirit over the forces of repression, bigotry, and retrogression."[/size]

He got that right
End of story
The truth cannot be hidden

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by remarkD(m): 4:49pm On Apr 08, 2013
Ladies & Gentlement:

What do we have here on our hands?

A young man that says TFA and Chinua Achebe himself should not e given the acclaim it has garnered so far; because there is nothing special in TFA. Going on to compare Wole Soyinka to Chinua Achebe, because the former received a nobel prize forliterature.

Questions:
If it wasnt such a great book, why has it sold millions of copies all over the world, and translated in over 30 languages! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ... all the way to 30 countries1 Does this mean that Chinua is a great business man that is able to sell/market a product all over the world and take in millions in profit?

Which other Nigerian book has been a best-seller? And please does anyone know which book Wole Soyinka got a nobel prize for? and how many copies have been sold till date?

And the last question toes to the core of why we see threads on nairaland trying to elittle the achievement of others.
Why do Yaribas feel a need to belittle any achievement of the Igbos, even when international and unbiased foreigners acknowledge such achievements?
Is it jealousy? low self-esteem? a deep desire to be succcessful like the Igbo succes stories all over the world?
Why oh why do they even go the extent of incorporating lies, forging documents, double-speaking, flip-flopping and doing all they can to "water down" Igbo success. From forging a letter and putting Ojukwus name on it, to the claim of Fajuiyi chose to die with Ironsi; pointing sabotage accusations at Zik, even when Awo was doing the exact same thing (negotiating behind the back of Zik, with the north)... but they didnt know Zik was always one step ahead of them... and succeeded before Awolowo could make a deal with the North. The stories are endless and prevalent on this nairaland. The Ogbunigwe is another one that comes to mind.

Igbos are like a spring, my friends, the more you try to push or pull them down, the higher they will soar, like eagles in the skies.

Keep hating, we will keep rolling.

Peace.

P.S. Sam's article is nothing new, we already know the true color of the frog-eyed man and his agents.

Have I said keep hating and we will keep rolling/ well.. keep hating and we will keep rolling! Soaring! Igbo Kwenu!!!! grin cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by aryzgreat: 4:53pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu: [size=18pt]The Nobel for a select few[/size]

Product of Awo-ole-owo's wasted free education.
I am DUMP FOLDED! i ahve no word to ALTER!

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by aryzgreat: 4:53pm On Apr 08, 2013

Product of Awo-ole-owo's wasted free education.
I am DUMP FOLDED! i have no word to ALTER!

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Cusubaba(m): 4:53pm On Apr 08, 2013
Another shameless senseless tribal bigot.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Ribaman(m): 4:53pm On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Please keep quiet with your apples and oranges and irrelevant analogies.

Leave thread if you can not stay on topic. This is how people fail WAEC.

Who is talking off point and illogically of the two of us. Who taught you Logic? Or did you cut Logic classes to attend to irrelevant issues like irrational hate and self-degrading tribalism.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 4:57pm On Apr 08, 2013

Uncle Dayokunu goes to School! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 4:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
Riba_man:

Who is talking off point and illogically of the two of us. Who taught you Logic? Or did you cut Logic classes to attend to irrelevant issues like irrational hate and self-degrading tribalism.

Ode, the topic is about Sam and ashebe, no India or Ghandi.

Like I said, this is how clowns like you fail WAEC. Go back to elementary school to learn simple reading and comprehension..

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 4:59pm On Apr 08, 2013

They mus think NOBEL is Akpu...

Who dash monkey banana...

lmao..

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by kopy: 5:02pm On Apr 08, 2013
Yoruba people are the worst tribe in Nigeria,they contributions to this country are traced back to their place!!They never do anything for all to be benefited...Always full of noise!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Osun Election: Why Adeleke Is Leading Oyetola – APC Chieftain, Chidike Ukauwa / Nigeria's Largest Onshore Oil Well Discovered In Imo State / LASG Launches 1,000-hectares Modern Satellite City In Epe (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.