Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,378 members, 7,812,101 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (25972 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 5:10am On Apr 08, 2013
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/127894-popular-columnist-sam-omatseye-under-fire-over-column-on-achebe.html

Sam Omatseye, under fire over column on Achebe

The Nation newspaper’s well-known columnist, Sam Omatseye, has drawn criticisms after he wrote an article considered by some as belittling the amazing literary works of foremost novelist, Chinua Achebe.

Some have also faulted the columnist for delivering a verdict suggesting Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka is greater than Mr. Achebe.
[b]
In his Monday column, Mr. Omatseye, who heads the paper’s Editorial Board, did what seems a scathing review of Mr. Achebe’s literary legacy, saying Things Fall Apart, the writer’s most famous novel, is big in ideology but lacking in literary essence.

He faulted arguments by Mr. Achebe’s fans that he was more deserving of the Nobel Prize than Mr. Soyinka, saying the Nobel Laureate churned out a deeper and more elegant body of work.

“Achebe was a good story teller, so was my grandmother,” Mr. Omatseye said of the novelist who passed away barely a week ago in Boston, Massachusetts. “Turning from a raconteur to an art of sublimity and depth belongs to the masters. He was described as a great writer but not a great artist.”

“So he wrote good works, not great works, not textured by deeper insights that you would see in better accomplished works,” he continued. “Those who read TFA (Things Fall Apart) like clockwork may be put off by some of Soyinka’s opus. So they should not obsess out of ignorance. They should read first. If you knock Soyinka on obscurity, you have a right. But high art is not always easy to understand. Those who claim to enjoy TFA cannot write a literate essay on the book and why it is high art.”

Expectedly, Mr. Omatseye’s remarks have sparked debates among writers and drawn immediate fury from Mr. Achebe’s fans.
[/b]
Popular literary critic, IkhideIkheloa, who posted the controversial article on his Facebook page, was first to launch an attack on Mr. Omatseye. “You read semi-literate crap like this by this Sam Omatseye guy, you endure the grammatical challenges and the awful logic and your heart stops with shame and embarrassment – for the author,” Mr. Ikheloa commented below the post.

“I mean, this man wrote this stuff, read it to himself, patted himself on the back and hit “SEND.” What is wrong with this man? Where do you begin to correct the glaring inaccuracies in this drivel? Why should you? I mean, where in the name of serious scholarship do you begin to compare Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe? Who does that? And to what purpose? They are two different spirits on many levels.”

Literature professor, and renowned columnist, Okey Ndibe, who also commented on Facebook, called Mr. Omatseye’s remarks a “simplistic binary notion that Soyinka’s greatness is conditional on the (attempted) miniaturizing of Achebe–or vice versa”.

“Yet, intelligent people–and especially aesthetes–ought to know that many extraordinary writers can (and do) coexist within the same nation-space. They also know how futile it is, in the end, to attempt a ranking of amazing literary talents whose primary genres are so different–to say nothing of their temper, reach, focus, and linguistic styles. Sam is not a new comer to this inelegant game of Achebe-bashing.”

Mr. Achebe’s death, which came after what the family said was a brief illness, unlocked an outpouring of reverence and emotions from around the world- almost unprecedented for any Nigerian literary export. His book, Things Fall Apart, more than any other indigenous African work, is reputed for opening the eyes of the world to the real fabric of a continent that struggled with colonialism and remained haunted by it.

But at home, Mr. Achebe’s death again proved a fresh opportunity for his critics to take another haunting look at his work. Criticism of the late writer’s work was initially sparked last year after the release of his last book, There Was Country, which captured his civil war experience.

In the memoir published in 2012, Mr. Achebe claimed the Igbos were victims of genocide and blamed the late Yoruba leader, Obafemi Awolowo, for masterminding the civil war policy that starved several thousands to death.

That comment, among others, stirred bitter altercations between many Yoruba and Hausa/Fulani intellectuals on one hand and their Igbo counterparts on the other.
[b]
Since his death however, only a few critics have publicly criticized Mr. Achebe. While a Bayero University, Kano, English and French professor, Ibrahim Bello-Kano, lambasted Mr. Achebe for all his works including “There Was a Country” which he referred to as “Achebe’s most inferior work“, Mr. Omatseye limited his concern to his most popular book, Things Fall Apart.

Mr. Omatseye said the book proved its little literary worth by repeatedly failing to win the Nobel.

“How come the father of African literature did not win the preeminent prize? First, TFA was a great book not because of its literary properties but because of its ideological potency,” he said. “The Nobel Prize does not go to a novelist whose work is signposted by sociological fixations supplanting narratives with long pages of how Igbo villages are organized.”

“Did he succeed by using the language as a tool of subversion? Hardly. He wrote about the assertion of local pride, which was hardly original. But it was a counter-narrative, and it was done with gusto and minimal dexterity, and that was enough for them. They (The West) were amazed at the manipulation of proverbs and other manifestations of local colour. But the proverbs were never original, just like many of the proverbs in Ola Rotimi’s The Gods Are Not To Blame.[/b]

I like this sam dude, he's the most fearless writer in NIGERIA, the man no dey hold prisoner at all.

Kudos....

17 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by MrGlobe(m): 7:04am On Apr 08, 2013
what do you expect from someone who works for Tinubu and one who is the editor for the most rretarded and disorganized newspaper in Nigeria. This was the same person that wrote against mama HIV awolowo for calling Tinubu a fraudster he is.
For the fact that this fool called the Nobel prize the preeminent prize in literature shows that he lacks any basic knowledge and information in the field and may well be another certificate forger like his master Tinubu.
Well Mr. Sam your grandmother may be a good storyteller but while she died in obscurity and irrelevancy like you will, Achebe sold multi million copies of his stories, more than any African. Dined with world leaders with his stories, had his stories told in major languages in the world, had his stories become part of school curricula world over. Stay here and be feeding crumbs from Tinubu your pay master.

90 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ochukoccna: 7:05am On Apr 08, 2013
Under fire by who
Yi_bo Biafrans or undecided
Nigerians grin grin
All Sam did was express his POV
Counter it with a superior one not insult his person with gutter language
This east side of Nigerian rebels never seem to amaze one
They die Biafrans yet are buried and celebrated as Nigerians
1st was Ojukwu,now Achebe and you wonder who next cheesy

39 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 7:05am On Apr 08, 2013
Back to topic...

This is a good dissection of the man's weak and low grade body of work and relevance . The Nobel people saw his work and rightfully ignored everything. Obviously, his bitter, angry, divisive and tribalistic ways caught up to him..

12 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by MrGlobe(m): 7:10am On Apr 08, 2013
Who reads ACN (the nation) newspaper anyways.

11 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 7:13am On Apr 08, 2013
Mr. Globe:
what do you expect from someone who works for Tinubu and one who is the editor for the most rretarded and disorganized newspaper in Nigeria. This was the same person that wrote against mama HIV awolowo for calling Tinubu a fraudster he is.
For the fact that this fool called the Nobel prize the preeminent prize in literature shows that he lacks any basic knowledge and information in the field and may well be another certificate forger like his master Tinubu
Well Mr. Sam your grandmother may be a good storyteller but while she died in obscurity and irrelevancy like you will, Achebe sold multi million copies of his stories, more than any African. Dined with world leaders with his stories, had his stories told in major languages in the world, had his stories become part of school curricula world over. Stay here and be feeding crumbs from Tinubu your pay master.

Damn!!! Why is Tinubu always you clowns first line of defense? You clowns are so pathetic it's unbelievable? We are talking about Sam and this clown went on a rampage blowing Tinubu's name non stop?

I bet you see Tinubu in your dreams? I bet you'd love to make love to Tinubu. I bet Tinubu's love is shacking you like crazy, I bet you can't get him out of your mind.

This is so gayish I swear. lmao

22 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by MrGlobe(m): 7:28am On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Damn!!! Why is Tinubu always you clowns first line of defense? You clowns are so pathetic it's unbelievable? We are talking about Sam and this clown went on a rampage blowing Tinubu's name non stop?

I bet you see Tinubu in your dreams? I bet you'd love to make love to Tinubu. I bet Tinubu's love is shacking you like crazy, I bet you can't get him out of your mind.

This is so gayish I swear. lmao

haha, make love to Tinubu. If he appears in any of my dreams, am booking an early morning appointment with my pastor the day. wait until I upload his dirty face. Don't worry, nobody is sharing Tinubu with you. go on with what you do best, feasting on his balls. Tinubu gave us a retard like Sam, gave him the opportunity to write thrash like this to please him so he has to answer for that.

28 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by bolaino(m): 7:38am On Apr 08, 2013
Una don start again ooo, u guys should stop this e-fight amongst yourselves, haba,
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 7:48am On Apr 08, 2013
Some people are just foolish. If your grandma was a good story teller,why didn't she publish a copy? An I.diot Sam

21 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dridowu: 8:11am On Apr 08, 2013
God bless Nigeria
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 8:17am On Apr 08, 2013
Mr. Globe:

haha, make love to Tinubu. If he appears in any of my dreams, am booking an early morning appointment with my pastor the day. wait until I upload his dirty face. Don't worry, nobody is sharing Tinubu with you. go on with what you do best, feasting on his balls. [b]Tinubu [/b]gave us a retard like Sam, gave him the opportunity to write thrash like this to please him so he has to answer for that.

Who are you fooling? If I say good morning to you, na Tinubu's name you go shout back like robot. Obviously, the man's name means a lot to you Even in unrelated topics, it's still Tinubu's name you shout like hallelujah. You are not even talking about the writer gan sef, instead it's the same obsession with Tinubu. Is the article about Tinubu?

It's even sad and pathetic that you keep and look at his pictures for your pleasure....SMH.

Your undying love and affection for the man is just too obvious..

14 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by FindOut(m): 8:18am On Apr 08, 2013
Sam Omatseye is a classic example of people who write long essays with many paragraphs almost entirely filled with cráp. I used to read his articles back when he was with The Sun but since his move to The Nation, I've been quite unimpressed by most of his articles I've come across to the point that I sometimes don't even bother reading them at all. This is absolute rubbish. Same way he wrote nonsense criticizing Mama HID & Tribune last year or so. insulting people isn't always a sign of fearlessness, it's sometimes a sign of stu.pi.dity, ENVY, absolute disregard for elders, and i dare say, want for attention as well. Guess its been a while since he had any of his articles 'trending' on cyberspace.

His own day too is coming. People will sit down, analyse his own articles and arrive at the probably truthful conclusion that he is/was just a mediocre journalist who was just lucky enough to be bought over by a rogue politician to head his newspaper.

29 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Emperor007: 8:20am On Apr 08, 2013
Why is it always a Yoruba person, what would want to deceive people by trying to rubbish the achievement of someone, who's a million times better than him/her?

If not that, they would pull up fake information and data just to make a deceitful point, why always them?

27 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by MrGlobe(m): 8:40am On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Who are you fooling? If I say good morning to you, na Tinubu's name you go shout back like robot. Obviously, the man's name means a lot to you Even in unrelated topics, it's still Tinubu's name you shout like hallelujah. You are not even talking about the writer gan sef, instead it's the same obsession with Tinubu. Is the article about Tinubu?

It's even sad and pathetic that you keep and look at his pictures for your pleasure....SMH.

Your undying love and affection for the man is just too obvious..

its a case of hand of Esau voice of Jacob. Who is Sam working for? Tinubu. Whose interest is Sam protecting? Tinubu. Who was the reason Sam came under heat for insulting awo's wife? Tinubu. Who owns the mind of Sam? Tinubu. Who takes the blame for his bullshhit? Tinubu

16 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Iykopee(m): 8:47am On Apr 08, 2013
the megalomaniac sam shud compare himself with d late sage b4 roping odas into his bemused life.. What goes around comes around..

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by alexchiny: 9:48am On Apr 08, 2013
Ndi Ofe cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 08, 2013
The man really succeeded in turning a whole post civil war generation of iboland into some of the most vociferous tribal bigots of our time....he tried!

6 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by goldfish80(m): 10:43am On Apr 08, 2013
Mr. Globe:
For the fact that this fool called the Nobel prize the preeminent prize in literature shows that he lacks any basic knowledge and information in the field and may well be another certificate forger like his master Tinubu.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by badassnigga(m): 12:39pm On Apr 08, 2013
Sam has really spoken d truth.crappy
story with no literary touch.
okoro over to u grin

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ikeyman00(m): 12:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
@@@@

with all the killing and bombing that has been going on in the country in line with massive looting and for some one to come out to say these are minor . . .

These clan deserve the levity they get and should not in any case taken seriously

carry on fool!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
Emperor_007: Why is it always a Yoruba person, what would want to deceive people by trying to rubbish the achievement of someone, who's a million times better than him/her?

If not that, they would pull up fake information and data just to make a deceitful point, why always them?

Is Sam a Yoruba man? What an igbo deluded goat you are!

25 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 1:06pm On Apr 08, 2013
The fact that the eediotic dingbat wrote on theNationNarcotic and getting most of his feedbacks from other media outlets goes to show what the NationNarcotic and the stooge of an employee Omatseole are - relegated buffoons!

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EzePromoe: 2:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
You guys should stop attacking the dude jor. Imagine you were in his shoes, were you wake up in the morning, wash your mouth with palm oil, buy Agege bread and eat it with palm oil, take your bath and use palm oil as lotion, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT TO COME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH? Free flow of words and action. You even act before your brain can think. Remember oil is a lubricant.

14 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by yuzedo: 2:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
Fucktardity instigated by primordial jealousy!

Achebe's Things Fall Apart is in the 100 Greatest Books of all Time.

Beat that... OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be mad not to respect that feat ma nuqqa! angry cool

17 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ochukoccna: 2:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
yuzedo: Fucktardity instigated by primordial jealousy!

Achebe's Things Fall Apart is in the 100 Greatest Books of all Times.

Beat that... OF ALL TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be mad not to respect that feat ma nuqqa! angry cool
Greece was once a world power
And the Volkswagen bettle was once a must have ride undecided
Every generation has its heroes
Check that greatest 100 books list in 10 years time

6 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 2:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
yuzedo: Fucktardity instigated by primordial jealousy!

Achebe's Things Fall Apart is in the 100 Greatest Books of all Times.

Beat that... OF ALL TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be mad not to respect that feat ma nuqqa! angry cool
undecided '...of all time' Please, week's just starting.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 2:31pm On Apr 08, 2013
Mr. Globe:

its a case of hand of Esau voice of Jacob. Who is Sam working for? Tinubu. Whose interest is Sam protecting? Tinubu. Who was the reason Sam came under heat for insulting awo's wife? Tinubu. Who owns the mind of Sam? Tinubu. Who takes the blame for his bullshhit? Tinubu

Love wantintin. I'm sure you know the man is a married man and there is no room for you in his bed...

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Pontaboki: 2:31pm On Apr 08, 2013
Who is Sam?,ohh is it that one who collects monthly paycheck from Tinubu.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Subsidy: I’m Sorry For The Next President – Sanusi / Supreme Court Decides On Yahaya Bello's Fate As Kogi Governor Today / Boko Haram Kills 25 Soldiers In Borno Ambush - The Cable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.