Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (25971 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 14, 2013
Crayola1:

What do you have? You were born a bastard and will probably die as one. You are a nobody and a sycophant of the highest order. You are crying for Achebe but where is your own prize? Your own medal? Being Fashola's cu.m dumpster is not a title that is worth brandishing around but being the bastard you are up is down and right is purple in your world, so you smile with pride at your title.

Tell us what is your life worth remembering for? Achebe's name trended on Twitter, will the town buffoon even holler you name in your water logged village when the time comes?

You sit on here day in day out being nothing but a bitter dried up troll and you have mouth to talk about people who have accomplished more even in death than you have in your life. How sad is that? Even now the so called loser is all you can think about, if you are not opening up a thread on Achebe you are commenting in one about him. If someone is not important to me I ignore them, you on the other hand stalk them to the ends of the Earth. Yes that's totally normal behavior grin

Achebe the so called bitter man is dead and gone, you on the other hand are here and alive and salty as hell. Who is the one suffering?

Please do the world a favor and strip down and douse your decrepit body in gasoline and light a match while holding a loaded revolver between your teeth. Save natural selection the time and the effort of eliminating you from this life by taking it upon yourself to speed up the process. You might finally be deserving of a medal afterwards kiss
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 14, 2013
Crayola1:

What do you have? You were born a bastard and will probably die as one. You are a nobody and a sycophant of the highest order. You are crying for Achebe but where is your own prize? Your own medal? Being Fashola's cu.m dumpster is not a title that is worth brandishing around but being the bastard you are up is down and right is purple in your world, so you smile with pride at your title.

Tell us what is your life worth remembering for? Achebe's name trended on Twitter, will the town buffoon even holler you name in your water logged village when the time comes?

You sit on here day in day out being nothing but a bitter dried up troll and you have mouth to talk about people who have accomplished more even in death than you have in your life. How sad is that? Even now the so called loser is all you can think about, if you are not opening up a thread on Achebe you are commenting in one about him. If someone is not important to me I ignore them, you on the other hand stalk them to the ends of the Earth. Yes that's totally normal behavior grin

Achebe the so called bitter man is dead and gone, you on the other hand are here and alive and salty as hell. Who is the one suffering?

Please do the world a favor and strip down and douse your decrepit body in gasoline and light a match while holding a loaded revolver between your teeth. Save natural selection the time and the effort of eliminating you from this life by taking it upon yourself to speed up the process. You might finally be deserving of a medal afterwards kiss
chei eko abeg go buy helmet dis guy don popo you. oya take cover! another crayola70-70 missile dey come! na u be dis? grin
Crayola1:

chei eko abeg go buy helmet dis guy don popo you. oya take cover! another crayola70-70 missile dey come! na u be dis?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ROYALD(m): 9:51pm On Apr 15, 2013
I LOVE ACHEBE
A Man of the People
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ROYALD(m): 10:01pm On Apr 15, 2013

QUOTABLE QUOTES OF CHINUA ACHEBE
I'VE HAD TROUBLE NOW AND AGAIN IN NIGERIA BECAUSE I HAVE SPOKEN UP ABOUT THE MISTREATMENT OF FACTIONS IN THE COUNTRY BECAUSE OF DIFFERENCE IN RELIGION. THESE ARE THINGS WE SHOULD PUT BEHIND US.
CHINUA ACHEBE

AN ARTIST, IN MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE WORD, SHOULD SIDE WITH THE PEOPLE AGAINST THE EMPEROR THAT OPPRESSES HIS OR HER PEOPLE.
CHINUA ACHEBE

NIGERA IS WHAT IT IS BECAUSE ITS LEADERS ARE NOT WHAT CHINUA ACHEBE

A GOODBYE. OR ADIEU

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 10:01pm On Apr 15, 2013
I hate Achebe.
The enemy of people.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ROYALD(m): 10:08pm On Apr 15, 2013
seanet01: I hate Achebe.
The enemy of people.

GO HUG TRAILER YOU AN IDIOTT OF YOUR GENERATION Bleep YOU ASS
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by maasoap(m): 8:03am On Apr 16, 2013
Books are meant to be appraised. After appraisal, commendation or condemnation (criticism) would definitely followed. Not everybody could be carried away by TFA and Sam just voiced his opinion out about the book. Show me just only one book in the entire world that has not been appraised (condemned). Our Ibo brothers should move on after all Sam is not a Yoruba man.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by alexchiny: 10:51am On Apr 16, 2013
maasoap: Books are meant to be appraised. After appraisal, commendation or condemnation (criticism) would definitely followed. Not everybody could be carried away by TFA and Sam just voiced his opinion out about the book. Show me just only one book in the entire world that has not been appraised (condemned). Our Ibo brothers should move on after all Sam is not a Yoruba man[b][/b].

He has a YORUBA blood sir! And we know what that stands for grin grin
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by TalkHoha: 12:45pm On May 16, 2013
Speaking solely as a lover of literature, I think the comments about Anthills of the Savannah are wrong. It is not a trivial work. It did not win the Booker in 1987, but it was short-listed, not just long-listed for that most prestigious award for the novel form. A shortlist of six, from probably many hundreds of novels published that year throughout the Commonwealth? Far from marking a decline in Achebe's art, I think it was his most accomplished novel. There are different voices, there is literary sophistication, and Beatrice is in no way a lightweight or ephemeral creation. The charge of marginalised female characters can't be sustained about her. Anthills of the Savannah has layers, is witty and ironic. I recall the descriptions of the affected Englishness of Sam, the presentation of the sage of the northern tribe, the revolutionary mode of Ikem's speech at the University... I read that book years ago but scenes keep coming to mind. It is not a trival thriller.
As for the rest of Omatseye's comments, whether or not Achebe was great or merely good as a writer will continually be decided by his readers. The discussion tends to leave the realm of literary appreciation and become a tribal fray. If the Nobel were mine to award and I had to choose between Achebe and Soyinka, I would give it to Soyinka. That's just my humble literary judgment.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Ribaman(m): 7:48pm On May 18, 2013
Talk Hoha: Speaking solely as a lover of literature, I think the comments about Anthills of the Savannah are wrong. It is not a trivial work. It did not win the Booker in 1987, but it was short-listed, not just long-listed for that most prestigious award for the novel form. A shortlist of six, from probably many hundreds of novels published that year throughout the Commonwealth? Far from marking a decline in Achebe's art, I think it was his most accomplished novel. There are different voices, there is literary sophistication, and Beatrice is in no way a lightweight or ephemeral creation. The charge of marginalised female characters can't be sustained about her. Anthills of the Savannah has layers, is witty and ironic. I recall the descriptions of the affected Englishness of Sam, the presentation of the sage of the northern tribe, the revolutionary mode of Ikem's speech at the University... I read that book years ago but scenes keep coming to mind. It is not a trival thriller.
As for the rest of Omatseye's comments, whether or not Achebe was great or merely good as a writer will continually be decided by his readers. The discussion tends to leave the realm of literary appreciation and become a tribal fray. If the Nobel were mine to award and I had to choose between Achebe and Soyinka, I would give it to Soyinka. That's just my humble literary judgment.

@ OP
Wonderful analysis of Achebe's Anthills of the savannah. Shows a mind that can actually process information at multiple levels.
Re the prize: were it down to me, Achebe will receive my nod. The other man has written along western lines. My two pence

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Anti-saraki Senators Back Down, Rally Round Embattled Senate President / Obaseki Appreciates Edo People On The Street After Inauguration / Buhari’s Order: Sowore Asks Osinbajo To Resign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.