Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,292 members, 7,811,876 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (25965 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 11:16am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

I replied you that music is not all about Lyrics but that the particular genre we are discussing is. HIP-HOP is 90 percent all about lyrical content.
show me where you said so.
you and who are discussing that? You were just beating round the bush.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 11:20am On Apr 09, 2013
Tolexander: show me where you said so.
you and who are discussing that? You were just beating round the bush.

Sure its not, but i know Nelly is not a "classical" musician. He is a HIP HOP artiste and HIP HOP is all about Lyrics. Stop embarrassing yourself sir!

This was my reply. Do i have to break it down for you sir?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 11:21am On Apr 09, 2013
@Tolexander

Can you now answer my question now sir?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 11:27am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost: @Tolexander

Can you now answer my question now sir?
since you have answered the question to your fallacious statement what is now the essence of disturbing me with red herrings on the thread which is meant to be a criticism on achebe's work.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 11:30am On Apr 09, 2013
Tolexander: since you have answered the question to your fallacious statement what is now the essence of disturbing me with red herrings on the thread which is meant to be a criticism on achebe's work.

Defeated argument! So we can now happily agree that winning an award doesn't equate to one being the best in his field. CASE CLOSED! grin grin
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Emperor007: 12:21pm On Apr 09, 2013
nedu666: JOBLESS BASTARDS ALL OF U ON THIS THREAD. GO GET A JOB, FIND SOMETHING BETTER TO DO WITH UR LIFE. STOP ARGUEING BACK AND FORTH IT ADDS NOTHING POSITIVE TO U OTHER THAN TAKE UR TIME AND MAKE U LOOK STUPID. IF U MUST CONTRIBUTE GO TO OTHER SECTIONS ON THIS FORUM. HABA, SOME OF YOU HAVE NEVER MADE A COMMENT ON BUSINESS SECTION, INVESTMENT, SPORTS. VISIT OTHER FORUM LIKE STOCKMARKETNIGERIA AND INTERRACT WITH MATURED CONTRIBUTORS BUT I GUESS SINCE INSULTS ARE NOT ALLOWED YA ALL SHOULD STICK TO NAIRALAND WHERE U CAN INSULT AND PLACE CURSES ON YOURSELF

^^^

I cautioned them earlier, when the thread was still a virgin.

The people who thought Igbos don't bother about media propaganda and lies, refused to listen and kick started their marathon.

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Emperor007: 12:32pm On Apr 09, 2013

Sam Omatseye is still a student under studying Achebe's work, which the OP couldn't figure out.

He didn't line himself up correctly to enable Achebe put him through intellectual purification , to avoid his present confused state on Achebe standard.

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 2:35pm On Apr 09, 2013
Uncanny Genius: Onye ara Ofe.mmanu, you sound like your stu.pid "hero" thief called Awolowo who stole the money(millions of pounds) that belong to the Igbos.

Ode angry son of ashebe. Ojuku ans ashebe looted your banks and stole your money you dumb asss. Pick up a book and learn your history.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 2:36pm On Apr 09, 2013
Emperor_007:

Sam Omatseye is still a student under studying Achebe's work, which the OP couldn't figure out.

He didn't line himself up correctly to enable Achebe put him through intellectual purification , to avoid his present confused state on Achebe standard.

Stay away from comedy because you are not good at it. Stick to akpu juggling.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 2:39pm On Apr 09, 2013
kettykin: Achebe's book is in the first 50 most read books in the world

Soyinka's book is not in the first 5000 most read books in the world

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat this trash. Quality is better than quantity hence ashebe = Zero Nobel..

........ibo logic is always upside down logic.

Still, ko si noble.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 3:51pm On Apr 09, 2013
After 18 pages still No Nobel prize to show but millions of Booker T prize, Father of African literature prize, Father of arm wrestling, Father of Illegitimate child with hausa, Father of wrapper tying males?

Kedu
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 4:25pm On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

Defeated argument! So we can now happily agree that winning an award doesn't equate to one being the best in his field. CASE CLOSED! grin grin
where did you see the defeated arguement?
You made an irrelevant example to a thread.
A related analogy would have been a musician is better than another musician and not a lyricist is better than a musician.
Go and understand the basis of argument and fallacy!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Iykopee(m): 4:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
before u repel the efforts of a man who contributed immensely in d world of literature, u shud first, ask ur father, what was his contributions in dis sphere of ur arguments b4 u vituperate other people....achebe and soyinka are great men dat represented nigeria on d world stage in literary works.. So, go home and ask ur father to explain to u, reasons why he cudnt come up with a piece loaded with inspirational act work...smh a vast majority of nigerians are truly suffering from chronic dementia
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
When will people stop being stupid. A man is telling you his origin, you say he is not sure. Birthplace is different from origin. Equiano says he is of igbo origin and some people are trying to dispute HIS OWN ACCOUNT. If you heard read works about him, including the wikipedia FULL DISCUSSION about more facts weighing his birthplace account to be true, jealous imbeciles like you will just shut up. @caustical, you are from hutu tribe not yoruba, disprove me since i know you better than yourself...fool.

We learned about him in Middle school/High School and most facts point to his story of being a slave being a lie.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:01pm On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
@kingoflag, listen to yourself. The man forged his origin, LIKE YOU FORGED YOURS. Birthplace is even different from ancestral origin. Equiano says he is igbo, why is it biting you? Are you his father? Envious beast.

You sound like an idio*t. Envious of what? Stop being a dunce and go do some more reading.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 5:19pm On Apr 09, 2013
Tolexander: where did you see the defeated arguement?
You made an irrelevant example to a thread.
A related analogy would have been a musician is better than another musician and not a lyricist is better than a musician.
Go and understand the basis of argument and fallacy!

Stop confusing yourself young man. I put up a question to you and up till now you still cant answer it. Quit running in circles because your argument is terribly flawed!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Crayola1: 5:38pm On Apr 09, 2013
Has anyone so critical against Achebe actually read his final book. I have a copy and I am going to read it when I finish exams and from what I've been told so far Ojukwu, Awo, and Gowon are all criticized by Achebe.

I think if I have the time I'll post up line by line what was said about each man, so we can find the liars among us.

I'd hate to find out that some of the folks here are just taking pot shots at Achebe because they are tribalists, that were hoping to discredit the greatest African novelist who ever lived kiss

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by OneNaira6: 6:05pm On Apr 09, 2013
Crayola1: Has anyone so critical against Achebe actually read his final book. I have a copy and I am going to read it when I finish exams and from what I've been told so far Ojukwu, Awo, and Gowon are all criticized by Achebe.

I think if I have the time I'll post up line by line what was said about each man, so we can find the liars among us.

I'd hate to find out that some of the folks here are just taking pot shots at Achebe because they are tribalists, that were hoping to discredit the greatest African novelist who ever lived kiss

I've read the book though i stopped half way through because of mid term exams, papers, etc. i plan on finishing it this summer. Anyway, from the sections I've read thus far, the man critcized everybody including some Igbo leaders and yes ojukwu inclusive. some people are just bunch of tribalist whiners that's all. read your book in joy jor and don't read it with a mindset of using it to condemn some on NL. you'll lose the value and taste of a literary work by doing so. read it cause you want to

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 6:26pm On Apr 09, 2013
Still, ko si Nobel sha..

smh...
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Crayola1: 6:27pm On Apr 09, 2013
I think that's to annoying part of this whole saga is that no one has read the book. I don't think half of the people calling Awo's name give two sh1ts about him, they've always at some level hated Achebe and his accomplishments so they are riding this to the wheels come off.

The first time I read Things Fall Apart was in 11th grade it was my first time reading any book about Africa from an African author. And this was in a predominantly white school in an AP class. I read the first chapter and was hooked, and finished the book before the class did. For such a short book, Achebe was able to create a whole world. I sometime get mad with Achebe because I wish added more details about certain things, but maybe that's the magic of the book the ability to do so much with so little.

In college during my second year my Modern Africa professor required the book to be read for our section on Nigeria, we talked mainly about Eastern and Northern Nigeria. I didn't have to read it again because I remembered the book by heart but I bought it anyway and read through it again. I actually looked at the sparknotes as well and saw so much symbolism that I missed grin

My African Politics class had us read Man of the People another novel by Achebe, a book about "a not-Nigeria" Nigeria grin that talked about nepotism and tribal politics hindering development in African nations, Again for the Nigerian section of the class.

So far I've read no longer at ease and other Nigerian books such as Graceland, Purple Hibiscus, Half of the Yellow Sun, Akata Witch, and etc. and I'd like to think it was Achebe who made me want to read more African literature and Nigerian literature. And I'm grateful for that.

I actually didn't know that Nigeria had won the Nobel prize in Literature if I didn't come across Wole Soyinka's books while looking for one of Achebe's books in the school library. Never read any of his books but I did read a book comparing the two's literary styles.

So many of us in America saw Africa for the first time in a light that wasn't either the savage or the tragic helpless place known as Africa and I thank him for that. smiley

Truly a one of kind man.

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Crayola1: 6:41pm On Apr 09, 2013
Eko Ile: Still, ko si Nobel sha..

smh...

What do you have? You were born a bastard and will probably die as one. You are a nobody and a sycophant of the highest order. You are crying for Achebe but where is your own prize? Your own medal? Being Fashola's cu.m dumpster is not a title that is worth brandishing around but being the bastard you are up is down and right is purple in your world, so you smile with pride at your title.

Tell us what is your life worth remembering for? Achebe's name trended on Twitter, will the town buffoon even holler you name in your water logged village when the time comes?

You sit on here day in day out being nothing but a bitter dried up troll and you have mouth to talk about people who have accomplished more even in death than you have in your life. How sad is that? Even now the so called loser is all you can think about, if you are not opening up a thread on Achebe you are commenting in one about him. If someone is not important to me I ignore them, you on the other hand stalk them to the ends of the Earth. Yes that's totally normal behavior grin

Achebe the so called bitter man is dead and gone, you on the other hand are here and alive and salty as hell. Who is the one suffering?

Please do the world a favor and strip down and douse your decrepit body in gasoline and light a match while holding a loaded revolver between your teeth. Save natural selection the time and the effort of eliminating you from this life by taking it upon yourself to speed up the process. You might finally be deserving of a medal afterwards kiss

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by zakkyboy: 7:00pm On Apr 09, 2013
caustical:

Did I hear U say Okonjo iweala.....that idi.ot that is dragging GEJ and Nigeria into world bank and IMF the loan Nigeria will be paying in the next 30 years

You simply don't know what you are saying!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by OneNaira6: 7:04pm On Apr 09, 2013
Crayola1:

What do you have? You were born a bastard and will probably die as one. You are a nobody and a sycophant of the highest order. You are crying for Achebe but where is your own prize? Your own medal? Being Fashola's cu.m dumpster is not a title that is worth brandishing around but being the bastard you are up is down and right is purple in your world, so you smile with pride at your title.

Tell us what is your life worth remembering for? Achebe's name trended on Twitter, will the town buffoon even holler you name in your water logged village when the time comes?

You sit on here day in day out being nothing but a bitter dried up troll and you have mouth to talk about people who have accomplished more even in death than you have in your life. How sad is that? Even now the so called loser is all you can think about, if you are not opening up a thread on Achebe you are commenting in one about him. If someone is not important to me I ignore them, you on the other hand stalk them to the ends of the Earth. Yes that's totally normal behavior grin

Achebe the so called bitter man is dead and gone, you on the other hand are here and alive and salty as hell. Who is the one suffering?

Please do the world a favor and strip down and douse your decrepit body in gasoline and light a match while holding a loaded revolver between your teeth. Save natural selection the time and the effort of eliminating you from this life by taking it upon yourself to speed up the process. You might finally be deserving of a medal afterwards kiss

DAMMN. this is knockout. wow
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 7:05pm On Apr 09, 2013
Crayola1:

Even after you silly and pointless essay, still, ko si nobel.

smh...
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Crayola1: 7:06pm On Apr 09, 2013
Eko Ile:
Even after you silly and pointless essay, still, ko si nobel.
smh...

Now where is your own medal or prize. Achebe has won several. Can you manage to tell us the one you have?

With all the slutting around you do for Fashola he wont even acknowledge you with one? No ribbon or tramp stamp to mark the occasion?

Maybe if you are a good boy Fashola might let you keep the codom from the first night you guys met kiss that's something I guess?

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 7:07pm On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

Stop confusing yourself young man. I put up a question to you and up till now you still cant answer it. Quit running in circles because your argument is terribly flawed!
you need understanding the fallacy of red herrings.
That is what you have exhibited. But you wouldn't wanna learn.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 7:35pm On Apr 09, 2013
Crayola1:

Now where is your own medal or prize. Achebe has won several. Can you manage to tell us the one you have?

With all the slutting around you do for Fashola he wont even acknowledge you with one? No ribbon or tramp stamp to mark the occasion?

Maybe if you are a good boy Fashola might let you keep the codom from the first night you guys met kiss that's something I guess?

Still, ko si Nobel.

smh...
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Crayola1: 7:36pm On Apr 09, 2013
Eko Ile:
Still, ko si Nobel.
smh...

You want to win the Nobel for Achebe? He's dead now so he can't win but if you can manage you can dedicate yours to him grin
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 7:38pm On Apr 09, 2013
These weeds (kingoflag, dayokanu, eko ile, etc), have started sprouting again. Anyway, whether you all like it or not, your case is closed.
1. Equiano the great writer and abolitionist is proudly igbo by descent.
2. Achebe the father of modern african literature and anti-racist is proudly igbo too.
3. African Greats like mandela, ngugi, gordimer, soyinka, okara, etc whose tribute to the great achebe will eternally overwhelm backyard jesters like omatseye and his minions(eko ile, dayokanu, olumide, kingoflag, etc).
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by chino11(m): 7:48pm On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

You are just a frustrated soul. Achebe is celebrated worldwide unlike your otapiapia Awolowo. Deal with it or go get a life.

A million awoliwo and soyenka does not make an Achebe- Africas greatest and most influential celebrity. Achebe's book has been tranlated into over 150000 languages, its feat that no yeruba living and dead can achieve. Achebe is the only African writer known by the outside world.Achebe can only be matched by Mandela in entire Africa

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ckkris: 7:59pm On Apr 09, 2013
Crayola1: Has anyone so critical against Achebe actually read his final book. I have a copy and I am going to read it when I finish exams and from what I've been told so far Ojukwu, Awo, and Gowon are all criticized by Achebe.

No, they don't hate the Ibos. It's only that the Ibos are just too outstanding, naturally, and easily out-perform others. This also naturally elicit fear and envy, which most Ibos wrongly see as hatred. But its not. An example is the common entrance exams for ten-year old kids, into federal secondary schools in 2012, when Ibo kids so out-perform others that the Feds assigned higher cut of marks for Ibos, up to ten points higher than for Yorubas kids. And still many Ibos refuse to see that if things are done only by merit, it will be difficult for other tribes.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 8:01pm On Apr 09, 2013
Crayola1:

Now where is your own medal or prize. Achebe has won several.

This is not about me, this is about ashebe. I'm not a writer but achebe was and still, ko si Nobel for him..

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Saraki And Other Senators At Kebbi Airport (Photos) / Dambazau Visits Scene Of January 1 Rivers Killings (Photos) / Reno Omokri's Twin Sons Celebrate 11th Birthday, Nigerians Celebrate Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.