Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,624 members, 7,827,333 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (26006 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by manny4life(m): 5:51pm On Apr 08, 2013
Cusubaba: Wole Soyinka won NOBEL prize being given to him by his European masters while Chinue Achebe won Africans heart and they crown him the Father and Grandfather of Africa Modern Literature. Ask a kenyan, a Ghanaian, a Southafrican, a Tanzanian or ask 90% Africans children who is Wole Soyinka? They will say i don't know. But ask them who is Chinua Achebe? 98% Africans will tell u 'THINGS FALL APART'' our man. The Father of African Modern Literature.

You know I once asked a coworker - a Black American, does she know "Things Fall Apart", to my greatest surprise, she said YES. Though she couldn't remember the author, but she said she knows the book, she read the book when she was in school. Keep in mind, this lady is in her mid 40's, I was shocked to even find out that most schools here in DC had it in their curriculum...

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 5:51pm On Apr 08, 2013
Neo-XVI:

You can't identify ANY member of Miami Heat YET you would stab Lebron if you see him? How would you recognize him then?
And what kind of dumb analogy is that?

Meanwhile good luck stabbing him (yoruba man with mouth sha grin). Your ass will rot in jail.

So much for being an intellectual. smh cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:54pm On Apr 08, 2013
Cusubaba: Wole Soyinka won NOBEL prize being given to him by his European masters while Chinue Achebe won Africans heart and they crown him the Father and Grandfather of Africa Modern Literature. Ask a kenyan, a Ghanaian, a Southafrican, a Tanzanian or ask 90% Africans children who is Wole Soyinka? They will say i don't know. But ask them who is Chinua Achebe? 98% Africans will tell u 'THINGS FALL APART'' our man. The Father of African Modern Literature.
When Achebe was alive, you clamoured for him to be given the Nobel Prize, but he was not given, as it is not given on the grounds of clamouring but hard work. Now that he is dead you now realize that the Prize was a European one? I dey laugh. I just left OAU, Ile-Ife bookshop to get WS books, they are full of philosophies. Read his work on Tigritude.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:56pm On Apr 08, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Guy, Soyinka and Achebe are not mate, Soyinka is far ahead of him. At your age, how do the stories in Achebe affect your reasoning when compared with the philosophical works of Soyinka. When we speak of the Nobel Prize, you point at Achebe's Things Fall Apart; what is that compared to: Idanre, You Must Set Forth At Dawn, Kongi's Harvest, Interpreters, etc that have been performed to the admiration of even the Queen of England.

Who has heard any of those works besides people in your village ?
That is my point
[size=28pt]That a group of white men in Sweden sat and gave out an award does not mean you are the best in what you do
Einstein did not receive a Nobel either but yasser Arafat did
Go figure[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ichidodo: 5:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Guy, Soyinka and Achebe are not mate, Soyinka is far ahead of him. At your age, how do the stories in Achebe affect your reasoning when compared with the philosophical works of Soyinka. When we speak of the Nobel Prize, you point at Achebe's Things Fall Apart; what is that compared to: Idanre, You Must Set Forth At Dawn, Kongi's Harvest, Interpreters, etc that have been performed to the admiration of even the Queen of England.
WHAT IS NOBEL PRIZE? WOULD U COLLECT AN AWARD FROM PEOPLE WHO SEE U AS SUB-HUMAN AND YOUR CULTURE BARBARIC? TYPICAL YERIBA BEHAVIOUR. YOU ARE SO BLINDED BY JEALOUSY AND INFERIORITY-COMPLEX THAT U DONT SEE THE BIG PICTURE?

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by NeoXVI: 5:58pm On Apr 08, 2013
Meanwhile, y'all should stop the back and forth. Chinua was one of the greatest writers of all time. Mr Omatseye, or whatever his name is, is an irrelevant journalist who'd obviously sell his own ma for a pot of porridge. So I don't see why anyone would take him seriously.

There wasn't a single leading newspaper house the world over that didn't write a major column on Achebe when he died. The piece on New York Times was trending for days. You should know what that means.

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 5:58pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando:

Who has heard any of those works besides people in your village

The world/NOBEL...
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ichidodo: 6:00pm On Apr 08, 2013
manny4life:

You know I once asked a coworker - a Black American, does she know "Things Fall Apart", to my greatest surprise, she said YES. Though she couldn't remember the author, but she said she knows the book, she read the book when she was in school. Keep in mind, this lady is in her mid 40's, I was shocked to even find out that most schools here in DC had it in their curriculum...
NEXT TIME ASK HER IF SHE HAS READ ABOUT THE LION AND THE JEWEL.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ichidodo: 6:02pm On Apr 08, 2013
Neo-XVI:
Meanwhile, y'all should stop the back and forth. Chinua was one of the greatest writers of all time. Mr Omatseye, or whatever his name is, is an irrelevant journalist who'd obviously sell his own ma for a pot of porridge. So I don't see why anyone would take him seriously.

There wasn't a single leading newspaper house the world over that didn't write a major column on Achebe when he died. The piece on New York Times was trending for days. You should know what that means.
WELL, THE YERIBA PRICKS HERE DONT THINK SO.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Cusubaba(m): 6:03pm On Apr 08, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Mumu. 98% Africans don't know who is Wole Soyinka, talkless of reading his books. But 98% Africans and world as a whole knows Chinua Achebe and ''Things Fall Apart''

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 6:04pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando:

Who has heard any of those works besides people in your village ?
That is my point
[size=28pt]That a group of white men in Sweden sat and gave out an award does not mean you are the best in what you do
Einstein did not receive a Nobel either
but yasser Arafat did
Go figure[/size]

You know why I don't believe this crap or take you people seriously? The way you people beat chest with anything and everything, If na ashebe instead of WS win the Nobel, na different song you go dey sing and in fact, we no go hear word for ever so stop fooling yourself...

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by bloggernaija: 6:04pm On Apr 08, 2013
Personally , I read things fall apart twice,watched the mini series and took examinations based on the book. I kind of agree with Sam here. The dept and range of a typical Nobel winning work of literature is very very high and has little to do with the personality of the writer.Things fall apart simply falls short in this regard.
You only need to check out wole Soyinka poem ,"A TELEPHONE CONVERSATION" to understand what Sam is talking about. This peom is so deep that even an adult will find it hard to u dear stand without explanation. It did not win him anything

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:06pm On Apr 08, 2013
ichidodo: NEXT TIME ASK HER IF SHE HAS READ ABOUT THE LION AND THE JEWEL.
Or THE MAN OF THE PEOPLE? smh
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:06pm On Apr 08, 2013
ichidodo: HE IS A GUY WHO MADE THE WORLD TO VIEW YOU AS A BLACK MONKEY.
Chichidodo, do you know you're bird and calling a person monkey? Tell Igbo elders to tell you the truth about the 1966 crisis and the civil war like Odia Ofeimun has said so that this inexplicable hatred for the Yoruba will end. CHICHIDODO 1.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 6:07pm On Apr 08, 2013
Cusubaba: Mumu. 98% Africans don't know who is Wole Soyinka, talkless of reading his books. But 98% Africans and world as a whole knows Chinua Achebe and ''Things Fall Apart''

You people and your insane claims. You are 80% of Lagos, you own 85% of Abuja, now 98% don't know WS.

Where do you people get your BS from? From some akpu poll research and data management lmtd?

lmao

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 08, 2013
Cusubaba: Mumu. 98% Africans don't know who is Wole Soyinka, talkless of reading his books. But 98% Africans and world as a whole knows Chinua Achebe and ''Things Fall Apart''

I even quoted an American author that described Wole Soyinka as a virtual unknown
That is just the truth
Doesn't take away away from WS
But he just doesn't measure up in terms of popularity outside the shores of Nigeria both in name and in his works
The two cannot be compared
Truth be told

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 6:09pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando:
[size=18pt]That a group of white men in Sweden sat and gave out an award does not mean you are the best in what you do
Einstein did not receive a Nobel either but yasser Arafat did
Go figure[/size]

Stark illiteracy on display. Can you try again. Its obvious some people here don't know what Nobel means They thought its some village "Father of internet, father of African literature, Father of African boxing, Father of runaway cowards etc "

[size=20pt]The Nobel Prize in Physics 1921 was awarded to Albert Einstein[/size] "for his services to Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect".

Albert Einstein received his Nobel Prize one year later, in 1922. During the selection process in 1921, the Nobel Committee for Physics decided that none of the year’s nominations met the criteria as outlined in the will of Alfred Nobel. According to the Nobel Foundation's statutes, the Nobel Prize can in such a case be reserved until the following year, and this statute was then applied. Albert Einstein therefore received his Nobel Prize for 1921 one year later, in 1922.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1921/

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by caustical: 6:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
Are the sons of Gorilla still on this thread? Igbos (indian hemps) are God forsaken people. They dragged Nigeria into the sh.ithole Nigeria found herself today
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 6:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
bloggernaija: Personally , I read things fall apart twice,watched the mini series and took examinations based on the book. I kind of agree with Sam here. The dept and range of a typical Nobel winning work of literature is very very high and has little to do with the personality of the writer.Things fall apart simply falls short in this regard.
You only need to check out wole Soyinka poem ,"A TELEPHONE CONVERSATION" to understand what Sam is talking about. This peom is so deep that even an adult will find it hard to u dear stand without explanation. It did not win him anything

How come the "TELEPHONE CONVERSATION" hasn't been translated into many languages of the world yet? You and Sam must be daft not to understand the message behind "things fall apart". Fortunately, the world is not as daft as you and Sam, that's why the novel was translated into more than 60 world languages. The world don't celebrate mediocrity, do they? Hatred,Jealousy and bigotry can destroy a man, especially a daft one like you.

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 6:12pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu:

Stark illiteracy on display. Can you try again

Mogbe!!!!! lmao.

I'm seriously lmao.

This is why I don't take these ashebe folks seriously...

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu:

Stark illiteracy on display. Can you try again. Its obvious some people here don't know what Nobel means They thought its some village "Father of internet, father of African literature, Father of African boxing, Father of runaway cowards etc "

Wow
One thing you have got right since your sojourn on nairaland
How impressive
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 6:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
Ibo people dey vex gan o.
Achebe my foot.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 6:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile: Mogbe!!!!! lmao.
I'm seriously lmao.
This is why I don't take these ashebe folks seriously...

Its obvious some people here don't know what Nobel means They thought its some village "Father of internet, father of African literature, Father of African boxing, Father of African runaway cowards etc "
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
Since when did the nobel prize cement someone's status?

Oya, Hitler and Al Gore are the epitome of peace since they won the Nobel peace prize.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 6:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando: Wow
One thing you have got right since your sojourn on nairaland
How impressive

So when would you get just one thing right?

Albert Einstein the most popular Nobel winner and some villager comes on NL to tell us he never won it before?

I am sure you know more about awards like "Father of internet, father of African literature, Father of African boxing, Father of African runaway cowards etc "
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by OX59(m): 6:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
There is one thing I've rightly comprehended about Nairaland:98% of the folks here are more concerned with the messenger;never the message.
Sam said a very simple thing:he said TFA was a good novel based on its storyline(plot),but that the novel is average in use of words/language.............and for those fools who come to every post displaying crass ethnicity,let me ask you something simple:is Sam Omatseye a Yoruba man?is it not trite knowledge that this idiotic act of ethnic chavinism is worse in the so called youths?..................IF I WILL SUCCUMB TO YOUR GUTTER MENTALITY,I'D SIMPLY TELL YOU THAT YES,THE IBO MAN THAT HAS HIS NOVEL LISTED AMONG THE BEST 100 NEVER GOT A NOBEL PRIZE IN LITERATURE WHILE THE YORUBA MAN DID............and am someone from the middle belt talking!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu:

Its obvious some people here don't know what Nobel means They thought its some village "Father of internet, father of African literature, Father of African boxing, Father of African runaway cowards etc "

Would you know what father means since women are heads of households in most of your homes where fathers run around pollinating them
The word father must scare you
Pele

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 6:16pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu:

Mr OLODO, getting a Nobel prize doesn't mean you are the best in your field! ok? stop embarrassing yourself

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 6:17pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando: Would you know what father means since women are heads of households in most of your homes
The word father must scare you
Pele

We know in some places where the fathers are selling markate in Alaba and gossiping while the mothers are the ones making giant strides e.g Okonjo, Ezekwesili, Akunyili

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2013
OX59: There is one thing I've rightly comprehended about Nairaland:98% of the folks here are more concerned with the messenger;never the message.
Sam said a very simple thing:he said TFA was a good novel based on its storyline(plot),but that the novel is average in use of words/language.............and for those fools who come to every post displaying crass ethnicity,let me ask you something simple:is Sam Omatseye a Yoruba man?is it not trite knowledge that this idiotic act of ethnic chavinism is worse in the so called youths?..................IF I WILL SUCCUMB TO YOUR GUTTER MENTALITY,I'D SIMPLY TELL YOU THAT YES,THE IBO MAN THAT HAS HIS NOVEL LISTED AMONG THE BEST 100 NEVER GOT A NOBEL PRIZE IN LITERATURE WHILE THE YORUBA MAN DID............and am someone from the middle belt talking!

And yet the same "igbo man" was given the name "Father of Modern African Literature"? Kid go and sleep, its past bed time!

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2013
slimghost:

Mr OLODO, getting a Nobel prize doesn't mean you are the best in your field! ok? stop embarrassing yourself

This is what losers say..

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2013
slimghost:

I fully understand you. What matters more is "Father of internet, father of African literature, Father of African boxing, Father of runaway cowards etc "

Am I right?

Winning World player of the year doesnt mean you are the best e.g Taiye taiwo is better than Messi cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Governor Ambode Is Fulfilling His Campaign Promises - PDP / "Vote Buhari Out And Vote Who In?" Statement / Osinbajo Receives Imam Who Hid 200 Villagers In Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.