Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (25968 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:03pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu: [size=18pt]The Nobel for a select few[/size]

The nobel price is chosen by a group of Europeans numbering a handful
It has it's prestige
Chinua dissed a racist dead white writer Conrad and took him head on in his criticism of blacks and Africans
That is said to be what caused him the Nobel but it didn't cost him fame and accolades
It is not an indictment on his literary prowess
Charles Dickens and Mark Twain did not win the Nobel either and have sold more books than anyone dead or alive
Chinua did not win one but has sold more books than any African writer including the Nobel winners.

The Nobel does not make one a household name
Things fall and apart and Chinua Achebe became household names
His book sold in their millions and translated to over 50 languages and will still sell long after him
Ask anyone anywhere to name an African author, Chinua is it
That is why he is called both the father and grandfather of modern African literature
That should make you proud as a Nigerian but since you are so bitter about that title because he is an Igbo man that spoke hard truths about Awolowo
Tough
Deal with it cool

[size=18pt]Chinua Achebe not only criticized colonial works like Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, but wrote a new story in the emerging postcolonial style that counters many of the degrading stereotypes that colonial literature has placed on Africa. In his lecture, "An Image of Africa: Racism in Conrad's Heart of Darkness," Achebe documents the ways that Conrad dehumanizes Africans by reducing their religious practices to superstition, saying that they should remain in their place, taking away their ability of speech, and depreciating their complex geography to just a single mass of jungle. Achebe carefully crafts Things Fall Apart to counter these stereotypes and show that Africa is in fact a rich land full of intelligent people who are, in fact, very human.[/size]

good man!

5 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ikeyman00(m): 5:06pm On Apr 08, 2013
^^^ tell dem

i bet he is still waiting to shake a white man hand
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 5:07pm On Apr 08, 2013
aryzgreat:

Product of Awo-ole-owo's wasted free education.
I am DUMP FOLDED! i ahve no word to ALTER!

These bloody illiterates I am sure you could have benefitted from the free education

Google Will Offer Its Glasses to Select Few

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/google-will-offer-its-glasses-to-select-few/
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 5:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
slimghost:

Uncle Dayokunu goes to School! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Another illiterate. You better go and sell markate and leave grammar to intellectuals

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by phantom(m): 5:12pm On Apr 08, 2013
Judging from the worldwide acclaim he received,it looks to me the man was even way above a nobel.giving it to him would have been akin to giving first school leaving certificate to a phd holder. IMHO... Achebe doesnt need the nobel rather the nobel needs Achebe!

6 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
ikeyman00: ^^^ tell dem

i bet he is still waiting to shake a white man hand

Lol
Didn't you see the thread when Fashola was visited by some white men in Lagos lol
It was as if God himself came down and at Alausa.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by manny4life(m): 5:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando:

It has it's prestige
Chinua dissed a racist dead white writer Conrad and took him head on in his criticism of blacks and Africans
That is said to be what caused him the Nobel but it didn't cost him fame and accolades
Charles Dickens and Mark Twain did not win the Nobel either and have sold more books than anyone dead or alive
Chinua did not win one but has sold more books than any African writer including the Nobel winners.

His book sold in their millions and translated to over 50 languages and will still sell long after him
That is why he is called both the father and grandfather of modern African literature
That should make you proud as a Nigerian but since you are so bitter about that title because he is an Igbo man that spoke hard truths about Awolowo
Tough
Deal with it cool

I wish I could like this post 1million times,

Thank you for dissecting it.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 08, 2013
Find Out!:
Sam Omatseye is a classic example of people who write long essays with many paragraphs almost entirely filled with cráp. I used to read his articles back when he was with The Sun but since his move to The Nation, I've been quite unimpressed by most of his articles I've come across to the point that I sometimes don't even bother reading them at all. This is absolute rubbish. Same way he wrote nonsense criticizing Mama HID & Tribune last year or so. insulting people isn't always a sign of fearlessness, it's sometimes a sign of stu.pi.dity, ENVY, absolute disregard for elders, and i dare say, want for attention as well. Guess its been a while since he had any of his articles 'trending' on cyberspace.

His own day too is coming. People will sit down, analyse his own articles and arrive at the probably truthful conclusion that he is/was just a mediocre journalist who was just lucky enough to be bought over by a rogue politician to head his newspaper.
Sam Omatseye has made a point, whether wrong or right, I expect you to address this point, and not saying this.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 08, 2013
Find Out!:
Sam Omatseye is a classic example of people who write long essays with many paragraphs almost entirely filled with cráp. I used to read his articles back when he was with The Sun but since his move to The Nation, I've been quite unimpressed by most of his articles I've come across to the point that I sometimes don't even bother reading them at all. This is absolute rubbish. Same way he wrote nonsense criticizing Mama HID & Tribune last year or so. insulting people isn't always a sign of fearlessness, it's sometimes a sign of stu.pi.dity, ENVY, absolute disregard for elders, and i dare say, want for attention as well. Guess its been a while since he had any of his articles 'trending' on cyberspace.

His own day too is coming. People will sit down, analyse his own articles and arrive at the probably truthful conclusion that he is/was just a mediocre journalist who was just lucky enough to be bought over by a rogue politician to head his newspaper.
Sam Omatseye has made a point, whether wrong or right, I expect you to address this point, and not saying this.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
manny4life:

I wish I could like this post 1million times,

Thank you for dissecting it.

Most of eediots that log in and spew rubbish don't even read
Ask them now to quote one line from WOle Soyinkas poem,they will open their mouths like Jegede Shokoya and flies will fly inside
They merely repeat what they have heard others say
Wole Soyinka himself would not agree with any them
He paid his respects to Chinua
He didn't send them
The same way they dobale to sell their kinsmen for tubers of yam is what they are doing here
Shouting Wole Wole as if it were a Yoruba solidarity slogan
If Wole turns around,the same 2 faced kinsmen of his would betray him if the price is right,the way they sold and killed Bola Ige
Very treacherous people

5 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 5:21pm On Apr 08, 2013
Ola Johnson:

He made no point! The RAT has been known for attacking people far above his intellectual capability senselessly!

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by manny4life(m): 5:22pm On Apr 08, 2013
Ola Johnson:

I wish same could have been said of the Anti-Achebe warriors about his book on the civil war.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 5:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
Betray him or not quote him poem or not

Does it take away that he won a Nobel?

I cant identify any member of the Miami Heat, I would stab lebron james if i see him

Does it take away that he and miami heat won an NBA ring?

Senseless analogies
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by kutchs: 5:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
Achebe may just be a story teller just like Sam‘s grandmother and mine but the difference bw them and Achebe is that his has a mission.
I will suggest Sam reads paragraph 2, page 55 of There was a Country to understand what Achebe‘s story telling means to achieve.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 5:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando:

It has it's prestige

Tough
Deal with it cool

good man!

Whatever makes your bele sweet.

Still no NOBEL sha, it's reserved for the best of the best in Literary like Wole Soyinka and other world greats.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Balkan(m): 5:28pm On Apr 08, 2013
*556#:

Is Sam a Yoruba man? What an igbo deluded goat you are!
his mother is a Yoruba woman. He give birth to Omatseye at home before she got married to an Itshekiri man. "If a deity becomes too stubborn you show him the tree he was carved out from "

5 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Still no NOBEL sha, it's reserved for the best of the best in Literary like Wole Soyinka and other world greats.

This may be a learning opportunity for some of you
Use that phone of yours and google to educate yourself
Google excerpts from Conrad's heart of darkness and google Chinua's criticisms of him
That should make any black man proud to be associated with Achebe
If that cost him a Nobel as many have written
So be it
He did excellently well despite it

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 08, 2013
Balkan: his mother is a Yoruba woman. He give birth to Omatseye at home before she got married to an Itshekiri man. "If a deity becomes too stubborn you show him the tree he was carved out from "

Na today?
grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 08, 2013
Emperor_007: Why is it always a Yoruba person, what would want to deceive people by trying to rubbish the achievement of someone, who's a million times better than him/her?

If not that, they would pull up fake information and data just to make a deceitful point, why always them?

Do your research before you end up disgracing yourself: Omatseye is not Yoruba but Itshekiri. There is nothing wrong in what he said. Chinua Achebe did nothing to deserve the Nobel Prize. He probably was over carried away by the commendation of Things Fall Apart, and went to relax. He did only little after this. Whereas Wole Soyinka didn't even relax after winning the Prize in 1986. It was even thought that he would win it in 1985. There is hardly any two or three years he doesn't launch a book. You point at Things Fall Apart as being enough to have fetched Achebe the Prize, when the Nobel Prize committee said, " . . .who in a wide cultural perpective and poetic overtones fashions the drama of existence." when they gave it to WS. They put all his works that cut across the three genres into consideration. They in particular mentioned The Interpreters which they said six intellectuals could not interpret. If read the biographies of these men you will know that Soyinka had left Achebe long ago. Achebe may have published Things Fall Apart in 1958, Soyinka had written and performed some of his plays before this time. The nature of drama as genre in literature makes it possible for a play to be performed before being published.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Brunomd: 5:36pm On Apr 08, 2013
Dis Sam of a Man iz a Scarstic,non-chalant, compound Nonentity! He has nutin 2 Prove,stressin a Point dat passes no Msg across.He's simply Takin Drugs on anoda's Man's headache..

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 5:36pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando:

Google excerpts from Conrad

Who is he? Nobel?

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Inoknowbook: 5:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile: Back to topic...

This is a good dissection of the man's weak and low grade body of work and relevance . The Nobel people saw his work and rightfully ignored everything. Obviously, his bitter, angry, divisive and tribalistic ways caught up to him..

Until someone can show me a book by an African author that has garnered the type of acclaim that Things Fall Apart has garnered,
Until someone can show me a book (the genre not withstanding) by an African author that is now a compulsory read not only in Africa, but also also in the western world for literature students other than Things fall Apart
Until someone can show me a book by an African author that has been translated into more than 60 languages just like Things Fall Apart,
Until someone can show me a book by an African author that has sold more than 10 million copies and is still being sold like Things Fall Apart,
Until someone can show me a single book by an African author that made the list of 25 greatest books ever written like Things Fall Apart did,

All these arguments are just mere exercise in futility. When people the world over, have decided on what they consider the best novel ever come out of Africa, who are we as Nigerians to argue about that, knowing fully well that we are bedeviled by envy and hypocrisy. Please, we all as Nigerians, should leave this to be debated by people with a rationale way of thinking.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Cusubaba(m): 5:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Wole Soyinka won NOBEL prize being given to him by his European masters while Chinue Achebe won Africans heart and Black Nations crown him the Father and Grandfather of Africa Modern Literature. Ask a kenyan, a Ghanaian, a Southafrican, a Tanzanian or ask 90% Africans children who is Wole Soyinka? They will say i don't know. But ask them who is Chinua Achebe? 98% Africans will tell u 'THINGS FALL APART'' our man. The Father of African Modern Literature.

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando:

Most of eediots that log in and spew rubbish don't even read
Ask them now to quote one line from WOle Soyinkas poem,they will open their mouths like Jegede Shokoya and flies will fly inside
They merely repeat what they have heard others say
Wole Soyinka himself would not agree with any them
He paid his respects to Chinua
He didn't send them
The same way they dobale to sell their kinsmen for tubers of yam is what they are doing here
Shouting Wole Wole as if it were a Yoruba solidarity slogan
If Wole turns around,the same 2 faced kinsmen of his would betray him if the price is right,the way they sold and killed Bola Ige
Very treacherous people
Guy, Soyinka and Achebe are not mate, Soyinka is far ahead of him. At your age, how do the stories in Achebe affect your reasoning when compared with the philosophical works of Soyinka. When we speak of the Nobel Prize, you point at Achebe's Things Fall Apart; what is that compared to: Idanre, You Must Set Forth At Dawn, Kongi's Harvest, Interpreters, etc that have been performed to the admiration of even the Queen of England.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 5:48pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando:

This may be a learning opportunity for some of you
Use that phone of yours and google to educate yourself
Google excerpts from Conrad's heart of darkness and google Chinua's criticisms of him
That should make any black man proud to be associated with Achebe
If that cost him a Nobel as many have written
So be it
He did excellently well despite it

Still, ko si Nobel.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 5:48pm On Apr 08, 2013
Cusubaba: Wole Soyinka won NOBEL prize being given to him by his European masters while Chinue Achebe won Africans heart and they crown him the Father and Grandfather of Africa Modern Literature. Ask a kenyan, a Ghanaian, a Southafrican, a Tanzanian or ask 90% Africans children who is Wole Soyinka? They will say i don't know. But ask them who is Chinua Achebe? 98% Africans will tell u 'THINGS FALL APART'' our man. The Father of African Modern Literature.

Still...

ashebe = ZERO Nobel.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 5:49pm On Apr 08, 2013
I no know book:

Until someone can show me a book by an African author that has garnered the type of acclaim that Things Fall Apart has garnered,
Until someone can show me a book (the genre not withstanding) by an African author that is now a compulsory read not only in Africa, but also also in the western world for literature students other than Things fall Apart
Until someone can show me a book by an African author that has been translated into more than 60 languages just like Things Fall Apart,
Until someone can show me a book by an African author that has sold more than 10 million copies and is still being sold like Things Fall Apart,
Until someone can show me a single book by an African author that made the list of 25 greatest books ever written like Things Fall Apart did,

All these arguments are just mere exercise in futility. When people the world over, have decided on what they consider the best novel ever come out of Africa, who are we as Nigerians to argue about that, knowing fully well that we are bedeviled by envy and hypocrisy. Please, we all as Nigerians, should leave this to be debated by people with a rationale way of thinking.

Story.... Story.... Story....
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by obyikye(f): 5:49pm On Apr 08, 2013
attension seeking Sam discussing the dead Achebe that can't defend himself.
Abeg, puts on my headtie, my bible and other things. Takes my kids for evening prayers appointment.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ichidodo: 5:49pm On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Who is he? Nobel?
HE IS A GUY WHO MADE THE WORLD TO VIEW YOU AS A BLACK MONKEY.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by NeoXVI: 5:50pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu: Betray him or not quote him poem or not

Does it take away that he won a Nobel?

I cant identify any member of the Miami Heat, I would stab lebron james if i see him

Does it take away that he and miami heat won an NBA ring?

Senseless analogies

You can't identify ANY member of Miami Heat YET you would stab Lebron if you see him? How would you recognize him then?
And what kind of dumb analogy is that?

Meanwhile good luck stabbing him (yoruba man with mouth sha grin). Your ass will rot in jail.

So much for being an intellectual. smh cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 5:50pm On Apr 08, 2013
ichidodo: HE IS A GUY WHO MADE THE WORLD TO VIEW ME AS A BLACK MONKEY.

Sorry. ...ndo
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dakunj1(m): 5:50pm On Apr 08, 2013
HOW DID WE GET HERE? People going back nd forth, hurling insults and abuses on one another, choosing sides and making it seem as though they are defending their ''tribal honour'' (which is bullsh*t if u ask me). Would anyone of you guys prefer us having just 1 internationally acclaimed literary giant/icon than recognize and appreciate how blessed we are to have 2 of the greatest African writers of all time?!. Chinua Achebe's last work probably deepened the distrust between this 2 great tribes (made him a easy target of the Yoruba's - Awo is like Yoruba's Abraham Lincoln..untouchable.. ,and a hero among his people for saying wat no one else would dare say). Chinua Achebe was great, just like Prf. Wole Soyinka is nd Awo was, but none of this men can claim to be perfect. Rather than insulting ourselves on a forum that us brought us together, We should celebrate d life of an icon whose literary works is one of d very few good things about Nigeria that is recognized by the western world.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

LASG Launches 1,000-hectares Modern Satellite City In Epe (pictures) / Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH / Water Scarcity Hits Jonathan’s Otuoke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.