Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,082 members, 7,825,410 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US (20302 Views)

This Buhari's Tweet On Fuel Scarcity Under Jonathan Has Got Everyone Talking(pic / Why There Is Massive Corruption In NNPC, By Saraki / The Significance Of The Syrian Climbdown Is Massive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by idriis: 11:50pm On Apr 22, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Another BASELESS report from the US. The fact that the west has suddenly become very critical of the federal govt should raise the suspicion of every patriotic Nigerian. The US have been firing from all cylinders of recent. What are they up to? Does the US mean well for Nigeria? Is this all about the PIB and oil multinationals?

Yes, Nigeria has a problem with corruption and it is the RESPONSIBILITY of every Nigerian and the govt to solve this problem. We do not need a saintly sermon from US before we know we need to get to work to solve the problem of corruption. After all the US is not immune from corruption. Who has been preaching to the US on the need to stop immoralities like gay marriages and homosexuality?

Lets take some quotes from the BASELESS report and puncture them.

"Police corruption remained rampant. Reports of checkpoint bribery and shooting incidents decreased in February after newly appointed Inspector General of Police Mohammed Abubakar announced the closure of all police checkpoints across the country; however, illegal checkpoints remained common in some regions. Police routinely stopped drivers who did not commit traffic infractions, refusing to allow them to continue until they paid bribes,”

This is like speaking from both sides of the mouth. The closure of unnecessary police check points across the country was an action taken by the govt to curb corrupt practices among police officers. Unfortunately, that action has to be balanced with the need to also check insecurity. Not all police check points are "illegal" as stated in the report. Even if the target of completly eradicating illegal police check points have not been achieved, PROGRESS has been made. If one takes a trip all the way from Enugu to Rivers in day time, you'll hardly see police check points (except inter-state check points). But if the journey is done in the evening or night, one would see several check points. I dont know whether these check points are legal or illegal but for someone travelling at night, its a kind of reassurance that the road is safe.

Again, if the govt has banned illegal police check points, it is the responsibility of citizens to report any check point that is nuisance.

"the US government listed the escape of the suspected mastermind of the Boko Haram 2011 Christmas Day bombing from custody, noting how the police commissioner, who aided the suspect went unpunished"

Yes, Kabiru Sokoto escaped. But he was later captured. The police officer, whose negligence led to his escape was dismissed. I recall the case was investigated by the Police Service Commission which later announced his dismissal. Can someone who was dismissed be said to have gone "unpunished"? Some of us expected more punishment and prosecution but the Police Service Commission is an institution set up by law and it is safe to assume they took the RIGHT decision according to rules and law governing the police. There's no point playing to gallery.

"former Delta State governor James Ibori in the Southwark Crown Court in London of charges of money laundering and other financialcrimes totaling N12.4bn, after he was acquitted by a Nigerian court"

It was unfortunate that Ibori was acquitted by a Nigeria court but that happened under previous regime. Again, the Judiciary is a SEPARATE arm of govt. Fortunately, the new Chief Justice of the Federation is taking steps to curb the impunity in the Judiciary. Recently, 3 Justices were sacked. About 14 Justices or so are currently being investigated by the National Judicial Council.

"and the N1.067trn fuel subsidy fund lost to “endemic corruption and entrenched inefficiency”

The planned removal of fuel subsidy would have put a final stop to the corruption in the scheme. Unfortunately, the fuel subsidy was only partially removed. Those who abused the system are currently undergoing prosecution.

"In late July, the EFCC began arraigning suspects, first with a group of 20 indictments, including six oil companies and 11 individuals. By year’s end, the EFCC initiated prosecutions of approximately 50 cases related to the subsidy scam. The majority of these cases involved companies and individuals who had fraudulently received subsidy revenue. Investigations and trials had not produced any convictions by year’s end.”

The executive has done its part by bringing the suspected subsidy thieves to court. The rest is for the JUDICIARY.

"It decried frequent abduction of civilians and lack of press freedom, highlighting cases, where journalists were harassed and beaten up"

Which journalist was beaten up this year? It is very uncommon in Nigeria of recent. I can only remember one incident in Lagos. To use this as proof of "MASSIVE CORRUPTION" is ridiculous.

In conclusion, the report is BASELESS. The instances given to support "MASSIVE CORRUPTION" are porous. Yes, we have a problem with corruption but the solution lies with every Nigerian. We dont need "saints" from US to tell us how to solve our problem
Na Sango go AXE that your shameless head. Bastaaaaard!

3 Likes

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:52pm On Apr 22, 2013
born7win:

If that gateman had the opportunity to leave Nigeria for the US, ask Rossikk if his gateman would still stay?

Why the hell did you beat me to that question?

2 Likes

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Btruth: 11:53pm On Apr 22, 2013
Ruben Abati! Ruben Abati!!, God is watching you ooo. How come because of money you've turned yourself into Judas? I used to love all your write-up against the government then you know? O ga ooo! See what money can turn a man with brain before to now. (Senseless man) lipsrsealed
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Truckpusher(m): 12:00am On Apr 23, 2013
When did Nigeria become one of the states that makes up the United States of America?
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by ballabriggs: 12:06am On Apr 23, 2013
[s]
Rossikk:

What rubbish is this one talking about? Savings from what income? Nigeria's oil income is MINISCULE. Recurrent expenditure already takes up something like 60% of the federal budget. Then capital expenditure which is never enough to satiate the needs of 170 million people. You have to develop assets that will create sufficient income in order to create a credible savings regime.

No. Resources are limited, so you DIVERSIFY you income sources. Income in modern developed nations is not based on natural resources.

Maybe about a quarter of annual wealth is lost to corruption. But the wealth itself is tiny, and would be insyifficient even without corruption. The impact of corruption is grossly overstated. What we need is to grow our income.

Infrastructure, roads, power, are all seeing higher investment than before. Even education.

Who do YOU blame when many in the north do not wish to better themselves via education? Do you know they are parts of the north where parents used to be paid by their state govts to send their children to school?

Ok.. Lagos and Edo have the same HDI as Sopkoto and Borno State. DUNCE.

[/s]

Trash again!!! It is so little therefore you steal the little you have? That is what your dead brain is asserting. Why is the recurrent expenditure so high? Because it is a government that has failed to prioritise key investments above Presidential jets. It simple, no excuse, budgeting and having a healthy budget is a part of strategy and governance.

Infrastructure bla bla bla as if those that have come before it have not done the same. Fact is investment in key areas is largely insignificant and we must plug leakages and massive corruption to finance our key areas of development.

Bring your HDI figures from Edo and Delta or forever shut up. "In fact the HDI of Delta, Edo bla bla bla" You are a liar with no shame.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 12:12am On Apr 23, 2013
Some people's posts on Nairaland just makes me cringe. That some people would just blatantly deny reality just to justify their paycheck.....how badly do you want that money that you're willing to sell out 150 million people for your personal gratification? I don't believe GEJ is solely responsible for our current situation of course, corruption was here before him. But then to blatantly deny that 1) He really hasn't reduced corruption in the country, 2) He has gaffed on several occassions, including appointing Annenih who should be encouraging his grand children to aspire to the position he is currently occuppying and pardoning someone wwho is still wanted abroad for money laundering charges....and there are others left unmentioned.

I think the very worst was someone here suggesting that his security man is living better and is happier than someone collecting welfare checks in the US! I mean, if that is so true, how come a Nigerian is willing to go to court to change his name only so he can reapply for a visa to the US after he has been rejected? And people would take an arduous, dangerous road trip up the continent just to get to Europe? Look, don't think every Nigerian on Nairaland is abroad. Many of us are right here in Naija and we know the reality on ground. See how high the incidence of kidnapping has risen in Nigeria, even creeping into Lagos that was hitherto considered the safe haven against kidnapping. Look, the people in the United States don't employ private security not because they can't afford it, but because they actually trust the ability of their police to protect them. Which is more than can be said for you and your security man.

By the way, that your security man, who protects him?

9 Likes

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Rossikk(m): 12:16am On Apr 23, 2013
ballabriggs: [s][/s]

Trash again!!! It is so little therefore you steal the little you have? That is what your dead brain is asserting. Why is the recurrent expenditure so high? Because it is a government that has failed to prioritise key investments above Presidential jets. It simple, no excuse, budgeting and having a healthy budget is a part of strategy and governance.

Infrastructure bla bla bla as if those that have come before it have not done the same. Fact is investment in key areas is largely insignificant and we must plug leakages and massive corruption to finance our key areas of development.

Bring your HDI figures from Edo and Delta or forever shut up. "In fact the HDI of Delta, Edo bla bla bla" You are a liar with no shame.

Dude kindly fck off to hell back to your miserable rat hole and leave us sensible people to debate. If you hate Nigeria so much, F.UCK OFF TO GHANA OR SOMALIA, or did they refuse you visa? What is keeping you here? Talking illiterate jazz like some school dropout.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by ballabriggs: 12:25am On Apr 23, 2013
[s]
Rossikk:

Dude kindly fck off to hell back to your miserable rat hole and leave us sensible people to debate. If you hate Nigeria so much, Bleep ON OFF TO GHANA OR SOMALIA or did they refuse you visa? Talking illiterate rubbish.
[/s]

Go and get a life, away from your miserable life. With the anger and frustration you display daily on this forum it shows you are a miserable man working tirelessly to justify his pay cheque.

On a good day I should not engage with a low life scum like you, you have nothing up there. You are just a cyber bully who tries desperately to impress his ignorant perspective on everyone. I say epic fail! I owe it a duty to educate people so they do not get infected by your ignorance. Ignorance is a disease, it is like HIV.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Rossikk(m): 12:27am On Apr 23, 2013

Go and get a life, away from your miserable life. With the anger and frustration you display daily on this forum it shows you are a miserable man working tirelessly to justify his pay cheque.

On a good day I should not bother about a low life scum like you. You want to be a cyber bully and try desperately to impress your ignorant perspective on everyone. I say epic fail! I owe it a duty to educate people so they do not get infected by your ignorance. Ignorance is a disease, it is like HIV.

Me? Miserable? That's YOU dude. YOU are the ''cyberbully'' who gets really upset when people show hope in their country, when you wish we would all be sad, miserable, pessimistic and frustrated like you. But we won't, so go & eat dust.

As for the HDI disparity among states which I LECTURED you on earlier, here's more proof than you can handle:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6Qnac5A38QkC&pg=PA440&lpg=PA440&dq=nigeria+hdi+states&source=bl&ots=F5GQy8pAV1&sig=YniFdG-GLUC-p5aCT5UPMtI9N-8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=a8Z1Uc_4ENGr0gXUkIHwDQ&ved=0CEkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=nigeria%20hdi%20states&f=false

DUMMMY!!!
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Kairoseki77: 12:34am On Apr 23, 2013
Billyonaire: When did America become a watchdog to sound convictions against other countries ? I think US should focus on their failing economy and home grown terrorism. US is over 300 yrs old as a country of immigrants, I can remember vividly that America was not as advanced as Nigeria is when they celebrated their 60yrs Independence from Britain.
Anyway, who cares what America says, we should be thinking how to learn Chinese Economic models instead of listening to a failing nation with economy of bubbles.

What does any of that have to do with corruption in NIGERIA!

Is anything they said wrong?

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by mensdept: 12:34am On Apr 23, 2013

On a good day I should not engage with a low life scum like you, you have nothing up there. You are just a cyber bully who tries desperately to impress his ignorant perspective on everyone. I say epic fail! I owe it a duty to educate people so they do not get infected by your ignorance. Ignorance is a disease, it is like HIV.

The truth is the truth. Our people are collectivley happy with the way Nigeria and its culture continue without change. "Showing" hope as some complacent peope would say, means attacking anyone that "attacks" the country Nigeria, even if it's in their own interest.

The U.S. is correct, corruption is massive under GEJ. That doesnt say he alone is the reason, but he's part of the problem. The main culprit that the U.S. doesnt want to admit, although they know, is that the average Nigerian is corrupt, by involvement, by silence, or by "e no concern me".

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by born7win(m): 12:37am On Apr 23, 2013
Rossikk: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6Qnac5A38QkC&pg=PA440&lpg=PA440&dq=nigeria+hdi+states&source=bl&ots=F5GQy8pAV1&sig=YniFdG-GLUC-p5aCT5UPMtI9N-8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=a8Z1Uc_4ENGr0gXUkIHwDQ&ved=0CEkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=nigeria%20hdi%20states&f=false

DUMMMY!!!

LOL. I never would have thought you would quote a book hosted on a site created by Americans and co-written by a white woman. I have always seen you as 100% pan African. Nothing wrong with that though.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by ballabriggs: 12:40am On Apr 23, 2013
Rossikk:

Me? Miserable? That's YOU dude. YOU are the ''cyberbully'' who gets really upset when people show hope in their country, when you wish we would all be sad, miserable, pessimistic and frustrated like you. BUT WE WON'T, SO GO AND EAT DUST.

As for the HDI disparity among states which I LECTURED you on earlier, here's more proof than you can handle:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6Qnac5A38QkC&pg=PA440&lpg=PA440&dq=nigeria+hdi+states&source=bl&ots=F5GQy8pAV1&sig=YniFdG-GLUC-p5aCT5UPMtI9N-8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=a8Z1Uc_4ENGr0gXUkIHwDQ&ved=0CEkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=nigeria%20hdi%20states&f=false

DUMMMY!!!

Bla bla bla people hope in their country. Your empty hope on nairaland? People who work, hope and believe in Nigeria don't make as much noise. They work without demanding attention like the fraud which you are demands, you are just a cheap 'show boater', "you can see I am patriotic" person.

Patriotism is in the heart, it is not by making noise and telling lies all over nairaland. You are a thief who is working real hard to justify his pay and so any reasonable man will not be deceived. Come out and tell everyone who you are and stop masquerading with patriotism.

You bring out a 1996 figure to justify your lies. The last HDR on Nigeria as far as I know was in 2009, so where did you get your figures from?
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Nobody: 12:44am On Apr 23, 2013
Wetin consign USA with Naija Mata?

Abi dem no corrupt pass us?
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Rossikk(m): 12:47am On Apr 23, 2013
born7win:
LOL. I never would have thought you would quote a book hosted on a site created by Americans and co-written by a white woman. I have always seen you as 100% pan African. Nothing wrong with that though.

Don't be ridiculous.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by YemiAde3(m): 12:47am On Apr 23, 2013
;Dfranchizy: I condemn dis report cos there is no Iota of truth in it. GEJ Administration is the most transparent and the best Nigeria ever had.
GEJ exposed and is prosecuting all involved in the subsidy scam. Also the Pension scam, Farouk Lawal.
It is only in GEJ regime dat any minister caught having intrest in a company must resign. (Minister of Power).
GEJ is the only Nigerian president who ve never stolen a kobo or looted any money. The only president dat has no investment. The only president dat transformed our airports to world class standard. The only president dat gave Nigerians steady Electricity, good roads, water scheme, health and Freedom of information.
Based on the foregoing, I tink the reporters are paid AGENTS. GEJ will rule Nigeria till 2019. Haters shud go and hug the nearest transformer.

You live in a dream world bro
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by ayotolah: 12:49am On Apr 23, 2013
franchizy: I condemn dis report cos there is no Iota of truth in it. GEJ Administration is the most transparent and the best Nigeria ever had.
GEJ exposed and is prosecuting all involved in the subsidy scam. Also the Pension scam, Farouk Lawal.
It is only in GEJ regime dat any minister caught having intrest in a company must resign. (Minister of Power).
GEJ is the only Nigerian president who ve never stolen a kobo or looted any money. The only president dat has no investment. The only president dat transformed our airports to world class standard. The only president dat gave Nigerians steady Electricity, good roads, water scheme, health and Freedom of information.
Based on the foregoing, I tink the reporters are paid AGENTS. GEJ will rule Nigeria till 2019. Haters shud go and hug the nearest transformer.

Bros, are we leaving in the same country? It seems you're talking about a different Nigeria from the one I know!

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Rossikk(m): 12:52am On Apr 23, 2013
ballabriggs:

Rossikk:

DUMMMY!!!

Bla bla bla people hope in their country. Your empty hope on nairaland? People who work, hope and believe in Nigeria don't make as much noise. They work without demanding attention like the fraud which you are demands, you are just a cheap 'show boater', "you can see I am patriotic" person.

Patriotism is in the heart, it is not by making noise and telling lies all over nairaland. You are a thief who is working real hard to justify his pay and so any reasonable man will not be deceived. Come out and tell everyone who you are and stop masquerading with patriotism.

So you've lost all shame? grin

I thought you called me a liar after I said Delta and Edo States had a much higher HDI level than northern states? grin grin

Now I've shown you research evidence from impeccable sources confirming EXACTLY what I said to be true, and you still continue rambling nonsense like some drugged-up tout? Pretending I did not drop the evidence you loudly demanded?

Do you think we're stup.id on this site? grin grin

Why don't you apologise for your slander in light of the FREE EDUCATION I've just given you?? grin grin grin grin
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Nobody: 1:00am On Apr 23, 2013
The US is the most corrupt Nation on Earth, The war in Afghanistan is for control of narcotics. The war in Iraq is for control of Oil. Americans are Gays and a country of Homosexuality and drugs. No week passes without killings of citizens by fellow citizens. Bunch of suicidal nematodes.

America should focus of how to revamp their ailing Economy and stop policing the world, it is old fashion. In this Cyber Century, they need to change tactics, they can no more control information and use same to instigate citizens against their leadership.

God punish USA! God Bless Nigeria my Fatherland.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Kairoseki77: 1:01am On Apr 23, 2013
Ogbuefi_Negro:

US' relationship with Nigeria has always been a very healthy one politically and that is because since their diplomatic relationship with us started they never faced competition in matters concerning Nigerian resourcefullness. From a global perspective that is good. Looking at that relationship from an Afrocentric perspective , it is suspicious and should be respected at an arm's length.

Recent upsurge in global development and freedom of rights has led to self-preservation and sustainability and there is more exploitation and abuse today than there had been in past human history but with that also comes a more refined and sophisticated way of hiding atrocities and or silencing victims objection to abuse.

Different countries are today competing with US for the resourcefullness in Africa but Nigeria in particular. Rights of access in Nigeria is being traded as equities for footprints in global markets. This is one reason why foreign oil companies in Nigeria will never be prosecuted or found liable for any abuse or degeneration they cause on the soil and the people. Compare that to the gulf oil spill in America. So for US, it's all about the price of their equity on the Nigerian resources. Any threat to it will bring response.

America labeled MEND a terrorist group and they insist that bokoharam is a victim of social poverty created by Nigerian government. Put in another way, they have no sympathy for MEND, they sympathize with bokoharam.

If bokoharam declares war on Nigeria today US will arm and support them and will run a propaganda machine acuusing Nigeria of dropping chemical weapon on bokoharam to rally support against those who want unilateral and exclusive power and control of the Niger Delta. US wants the oil to be in control of a diluted and opposing forces that compete with one another and antagonize one another. I hope you know that US was one of the earliest supporter and voice for amnesty to bokoharam.

GEJ is indulging MEND, who view his presidency as a free-for-all impunity against the country. Post GEJ, how far will a successor to the presidency go to bring MEND back into its senses? That could spell big trouble for Niger Delta. That's an agitation point for any one interested in the oil.

Not true.

The US wanted to name Boko Haram as a terror group, but GEJ and the FG BEGGED the State Department not to. They thought that labeling them a terror group would hurt investment in the country.

The US has never been in support of amnesty for terrorists. Please provide a source for this ridiculousness.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Kairoseki77: 1:04am On Apr 23, 2013
Billyonaire: The US is the most corrupt Nation on Earth, The war in Afghanistan is for control of narcotics. The war in Iraq is for control of Oil. Americans are Gays and a country of Homosexuality and drugs. No week passes without killings of citizens by fellow citizens. Bunch of suicidal nematodes.

America should focus of how to revamp their ailing Economy and stop policing the world, it is old fashion. In this Cyber Century, they need to change tactics, they can no more control information and use same to instigate citizens against their leadership.

God punish USA! God Bless Nigeria my Fatherland.

You are crazy.

The US economy is growing at almost 3 percent this year. How is that ailing?
The US State dept releases this report every year. Every year, all the guilty countries scream denials and blame the US.

If you think the US wants to control the sale of narcotics, you are high.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by YemiAde3(m): 1:12am On Apr 23, 2013
Nigeria is a country where people wait for the thieves to change in other to help them
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by YemiAde3(m): 1:20am On Apr 23, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi: Some people's posts on Nairaland just makes me cringe. That some people would just blatantly deny reality just to justify their paycheck.....how badly do you want that money that you're willing to sell out 150 million people for your personal gratification? I don't believe GEJ is solely responsible for our current situation of course, corruption was here before him. But then to blatantly deny that 1) He really hasn't reduced corruption in the country, 2) He has gaffed on several occassions, including appointing Annenih who should be encouraging his grand children to aspire to the position he is currently occuppying and pardoning someone wwho is still wanted abroad for money laundering charges....and there are others left unmentioned.

I think the very worst was someone here suggesting that his security man is living better and is happier than someone collecting welfare checks in the US! I mean, if that is so true, how come a Nigerian is willing to go to court to change his name only so he can reapply for a visa to the US after he has been rejected? And people would take an arduous, dangerous road trip up the continent just to get to Europe? Look, don't think every Nigerian on Nairaland is abroad. Many of us are right here in Naija and we know the reality on ground. See how high the incidence of kidnapping has risen in Nigeria, even creeping into Lagos that was hitherto considered the safe haven against kidnapping. Look, the people in the United States don't employ private security not because they can't afford it, but because they actually trust the ability of their police to protect them. Which is more than can be said for you and your security man.

By the way, that your security man, who protects him?
[color=#006600][/color]
Well said
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by chocknolis(m): 1:52am On Apr 23, 2013
considering the way you guys abuse yourselves, most of you are definitely not better than GEJ
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by born7win(m): 1:54am On Apr 23, 2013
Rossikk: Don't be ridiculous.

You are the ridiculous one. You always talk down on America but without America's, or the West's, inventions, can you enjoy the life that you have now? Of course not! When next you cite a source, use resources from your country.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by browncool(m): 2:39am On Apr 23, 2013
The most funny part is that he doesn't care about this which is synonymous to the saying that "Armed Robbers are never ashamed of their did but their relatives does"

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by honorsam(m): 3:53am On Apr 23, 2013
Transparency is a fundamental element of abolishing corruption.GEJ is the most transparent of all the THINGS befalling Nigeria as leaders.IMO,though.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Nobody: 5:07am On Apr 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Another BASELESS report from the US. The fact that the west has suddenly become very critical of the federal govt should raise the suspicion of every patriotic Nigerian. The US have been firing from all cylinders of recent. What are they up to? Does the US mean well for Nigeria? Is this all about the PIB and oil multinationals?

Yes, Nigeria has a problem with corruption and it is the RESPONSIBILITY of every Nigerian and the govt to solve this problem. We do not need a saintly sermon from US before we know we need to get to work to solve the problem of corruption. After all the US is not immune from corruption. Who has been preaching to the US on the need to stop immoralities like gay marriages and homosexuality?

"Police corruption remained rampant. Reports of checkpoint bribery and shooting incidents decreased in February after newly appointed Inspector General of Police Mohammed Abubakar announced the closure of all police checkpoints across the country; however, illegal checkpoints remained common in some regions. Police routinely stopped drivers who did not commit traffic infractions, refusing to allow them to continue until they paid bribes,”

This is like speaking from both sides of the mouth. The closure of unnecessary police check points across the country was an action taken by the govt to curb corrupt practices among police officers. Unfortunately, that action has to be balanced with the need to also check insecurity. Not all police check points are "illegal" as stated in the report. Even if the target of completly eradicating illegal police check points have not been achieved, PROGRESS has been made. If one takes a trip all the way from Enugu to Rivers in day time, you'll hardly see police check points (except inter-state check points). But if the journey is done in the evening or night, one would see several check points. I dont know whether these check points are legal or illegal but for someone travelling at night, its a kind of reassurance that the road is safe.

Again, if the govt has banned illegal police check points, it is the responsibility of citizens to report any check point that is nuisance.

"the US government listed the escape of the suspected mastermind of the Boko Haram 2011 Christmas Day bombing from custody, noting how the police commissioner, who aided the suspect went unpunished"

Yes, Kabiru Sokoto escaped. But he was later captured. The police officer, whose negligence led to his escape was dismissed. I recall the case was investigated by the Police Service Commission which later announced his dismissal. Can someone who was dismissed be said to have gone "unpunished"? Some of us expected more punishment and prosecution but the Police Service Commission is an institution set up by law and it is safe to assume they took the RIGHT decision according to rules and law governing the police. There's no point playing to gallery.

"former Delta State governor James Ibori in the Southwark Crown Court in London of charges of money laundering and other financialcrimes totaling N12.4bn, after he was acquitted by a Nigerian court"

It was unfortunate that Ibori was acquitted by a Nigeria court but that happened under previous regime. Again, the Judiciary is a SEPARATE arm of govt. Fortunately, the new Chief Justice of the Federation is taking steps to curb the impunity in the Judiciary. Recently, 3 Justices were sacked. About 14 Justices or so are currently being investigated by the National Judicial Council.

"and the N1.067trn fuel subsidy fund lost to “endemic corruption and entrenched inefficiency”

The planned removal of fuel subsidy would have put a final stop to the corruption in the scheme. Unfortunately, the fuel subsidy was only partially removed. Those who abused the system are currently undergoing prosecution.

"In late July, the EFCC began arraigning suspects, first with a group of 20 indictments, including six oil companies and 11 individuals. By year’s end, the EFCC initiated prosecutions of approximately 50 cases related to the subsidy scam. The majority of these cases involved companies and individuals who had fraudulently received subsidy revenue. Investigations and trials had not produced any convictions by year’s end.”

The executive has done its part by bringing the suspected subsidy thieves to court. The rest is for the JUDICIARY.

"It decried frequent abduction of civilians and lack of press freedom, highlighting cases, where journalists were harassed and beaten up"

Which journalist was beaten up this year? It is very uncommon in Nigeria of recent. I can only remember one incident in Lagos. To use this as proof of "MASSIVE CORRUPTION" is ridiculous.

In conclusion, the report is BASELESS. The instances given to support "MASSIVE CORRUPTION" are porous. Yes, we have a problem with corruption but the solution lies with every Nigerian. We dont need "saints" from US to tell us how to solve our problem

At this juncture, I think every Nigerian should think and think deeply. Yes, corruption is massive under president Jonathan just like any other past administrators but why is the US govt vehemently criticizing Jonathan's govt of recent most especially after trying to solve the Bokoharam problem? Yaradua died after going against all odds to solve the Niger Delta issue through amnesty. Against the background that US has "only permanent interest but not permanent friend or foe", I will conclude that they are trying to protect their interest! The question now is "what is the US interest in Nigeria?" Don't let us just condemn Jonathan (I was never his fan) but look at the possibilities that he is doing something right that all hell seems to be let loose to fight his govt. I'm not saying this is true but a ppossibility. You can label me a "conspiracy theorist", but if you don't mind, you may read this:
https://www.nairaland.com/994081/nigeria-brink-extinction-please-read
If u truly know the weapon of mass destruction, you know it's the "mass media".

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Nobody: 5:15am On Apr 23, 2013
@SincereNigerian, Rossike, Billyonaire and co
So all of you can sit in front of your computer all day lying blatantly and then pray to God later with no shame. I weep for you all.

Devils in human form!

2 Likes

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Nobody: 5:18am On Apr 23, 2013

Long Tori, too many English sad
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by coolzeal(m): 5:56am On Apr 23, 2013
And the same USA has yet to tell us what they did with the total amount of 16 trillion dollars debt they owned. The corruption in Nigeria is gigantic no doubt but the USA should not point fingers either. It seems like the media focus more on demonizing Africa even when there's development. Nigeria is corrupt so as USA and we need to eradicate corruption.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by postemail: 6:13am On Apr 23, 2013
I am commenting because it seems paid gov't agents are having a field day on the forum. I can't bear to read them praise a failed gov't.
Guys, Nigeria's gone to the dogs. I don't have any hope, not now, not in 2015! There's absolutely nothing that gives joy in this shithole of a place. No light, no pipe-borne water, filthy roads, polluted air, insecurity.. It's endless! Even the smallest emirate -Ajman, with no oil can boast of steady light, pipe-borne water, smooth road etc. Look at Nigeria, a shame! Horrible place made worse by dickheads in charge. They keep inventing old, failed policies to loot.
When y'all drive home, look at those faces at the bus stops. They are SAD, ANGRY and OPPRESSED! Because the corrupt leadership don't give a fvck about them!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

APC Lifts Suspension Of Akeredolu, Amosun, Okorocha, Usani Uguru, Osita Okechukw / FFK: The Taliban Are Now Angels While ISIS K Are Demons / EFCC Operatives Surround Okorocha’s House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.