Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,157 members, 7,860,143 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:40 AM

Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? (23943 Views)

Photos: Is Jesus On His Way Back? / PHOTO: The "Real" Face Of Jesus Uncovered / The True Story Of Jesus On The Cross (the Gospel Of Barnabas) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 23, 2013
Ki oluwa maje goo...may almighty God remove dat darkness 4rm dere eyes
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Godside: 6:22pm On Apr 23, 2013
damosky12:

look friend. Jesus was not a man, He was 'God Himself' who came in form of a man(John 1:1), He carried the life spirit of God because He was born of that spirit and not a man's spermatozua; that is why He was called Emmanuel meaning God (himself) with us (in form of man). He wasnt born of any man (remember it was the the the prencense of God who over shadowed a holy virgin to bear Him), so he was not a normal being neither was he a sinner genetically because he wasnt born by a man's sperm remember, man is a sinner by nature of Adam. Jesus was not a product of Adam!! HE WAS HOLY IN NATURE AND IN DEED. HE NEVER SINNED AND WAS'NT BORN A SINNER LIKE ALL MEN!! The reason why the sacrifice is esteemed is because of.

1)God's love for man for Jesus to die in the place of sinfull sinners when He himself never sinned. (1Corinth 5:21)

2)He himself was the creator of men. Bible says "...and without Him was not anything made that was made"-JOHN 1:3. He was the one who could die to bear the sins of all men because he made them and remember He could have chosen not to die and kill all men, creating a new set of Men. He chose not "for God SO LOVED the world" this world.

3) A man who hated sin was made to carry it in bulk upon himself, that was why He was praying to God. He wasnt afraid of the death but never wanted to be a sinner for once because He had to carry the sins of the whole world (alive, dead and unborn) upon himself even though He never sinned!

bro, pls dnt waste ur time replyin folks lik ds
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by adoniza(m): 6:23pm On Apr 23, 2013
Daresh:

God doesn't need to protect himself from anyone. He loves everyone even the atheist and he wants that atheist to repent and come on to him. I wish not to see the wrath of God, please pray not to. God has given everyone free will. Even hitler had free will. We commit such sin against him and each other every day but stop and think, if he gets involved in our petty squabbles we will look @ him with small eyes. He is above all that now. He is the Oga at the top. He has all the power. I can just imagine him in heaven accepting the souls of those hitler killed to rest with him in heaven.

Right, now let me explain something to you.

"Omniscience" and "Free-will" can never go together.

1. If God already knows the "beginning and the end", then he clearly has not given anybody any "free-will" because nomatter what you do, he already knew about it, and even what you would do in the next 20 year. And to top it all, he knew how you would live your life from "start" to "ffinish" even before you were born.
2. If indeed he gave man "Free-will", then it means he does not know what I would do in the next 10 min. Which also means he is not "Omniscient", hence, the bible "lied"

Right??
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by adoniza(m): 6:23pm On Apr 23, 2013
Daresh:

God doesn't need to protect himself from anyone. He loves everyone even the atheist and he wants that atheist to repent and come on to him. I wish not to see the wrath of God, please pray not to. God has given everyone free will. Even hitler had free will. We commit such sin against him and each other every day but stop and think, if he gets involved in our petty squabbles we will look @ him with small eyes. He is above all that now. He is the Oga at the top. He has all the power. I can just imagine him in heaven accepting the souls of those hitler killed to rest with him in heaven.

1. If God already knows the "beginning and the end", then he clearly has not given anybody any "free-will" because nomatter what you do, he already knew about it, and even what you would do in the next 20 year. And to top it all, he knew how you would live your life from "start" to "ffinish" even before you were born.
2. If indeed he gave man "Free-will", then it means he does not know what I would do in the next 10 min. Which also means he is not "Omniscient", hence, the bible "lied"

Right??
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Daresh(f): 6:24pm On Apr 23, 2013
Demain_man:

Yes. HE ACCEPTED TO DIE BECAUSE HE KNEW HE WILL RISE AGAIN. Get it? I You are JESUS who is Also GOD and who can die and rise again at will. WILL YOU BE AFRAID OF DEATH?

Jesus went through a lot of pain to do what he did. Imagine you, a king, you have servants and angels and you are called on to do what Jesus did. Live among mere mortals for 33yrs and be killed like a ram. He didn't come to earth with special powers. He came like a man like you and I. He was open to temptation and cld have fallen, open to sin, you no see all those fine babes wey follow am. His death is not the only lesson, his life was a lesson for us all. A lesson in humility and in purity. Yes he knew he will rise again to the glory of God.
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Daresh(f): 6:26pm On Apr 23, 2013
adoniza:

Right??

His knowing what you will say or do even when they are contrary to his word, has not stopped him from letting you do it. He knows what will happen, even if it is against his word or does not give glory to him, let he let's it happen. He gives u the free will to choose to so what you want
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by adoniza(m): 6:28pm On Apr 23, 2013
Daresh:

God has promised the Jews a redeemer for a long time. Before the days of Isiah he had already them a redeemer, a king to make things new. He is perfect. Very perfect. He is unchangeable, his words do not change.

"He is unchangeable"

Yet he changed the animal sacrifices which he used to accept, and which pleased him

1 Like

Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 23, 2013
Daresh:

I'm dealing with one God. He doesn't kill babies he HATES sin. He didn't kill his baby, Jesus was sent to setup free. Yahweh doesn't want my babies dead because murder is a sin. So y will he ask me to kill my babies. God is spectacular he knows my needs b4 I need them and he is faithful and just.

How about the lil babies he killed in egypt?
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Daresh(f): 6:32pm On Apr 23, 2013
adoniza:

"He is unchangeable"

Yet he changed the animal sacrifices which he used to accept, and which pleased him

A blood sacrifice is what was required. It came from animals, now it comes from Jesus. Still the same blood sacrifice
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Apr 23, 2013
Daresh:

A blood sacrifice is what was required. It came from animals, now it comes from Jesus. Still the same blood sacrifice

And jesus's blood pleased him?
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Daresh(f): 6:34pm On Apr 23, 2013
ifeness:

How about the lil babies he killed in egypt?

He didn't kill them, their king killed them. The Jews are God's people. He has always fought for them.
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Daresh(f): 6:36pm On Apr 23, 2013
ifeness:

And jesus's blood pleased him?

The blood of Jesus is the perfect sacrifice. Because he loves his son he will forgive your sins cos the blood of Jesus is interceding for our sins. Don't you see it's the perfect sacrifice?
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Godside: 6:37pm On Apr 23, 2013
bolaino: It's a question that should be answered with utmost sincerity, with all honesty and with no religious bias (but I doubt my christian folks will be able to do that).

But let's examine the death of jesus, christians from time immemorial have given us the illusion that it was the greatest and noblest thing any man or God could have done for his people, by paying the ultimate price, ( giving up his life),

But I chose to disagree, in the case of jesus, he is said to be God, and he created all things, having this knowledge how would coming to earth and dying and going back to splendor a big deal? I know of people who have gone through a lot worse for no reward at all, not to talk about jesus, who is supposed to be the beginning and the end, this should have been like a walk in the park for him.

But it was'nt, even knowing fully well that he was going to rise up again and be praised in heaven and on earth for all eternity, he was still scared, begging himself in heaven not to allow the whole thing happen.

Personally I would go through all jesus went through just to be given one billion dollars, I know of people who would go through same tin or even worse for less, did jesus suffer more than the slaves in america? Or did he suffer more than the people who were tortured and beaten to death, in places like cambodia, uganda, rwanda etc, the answer is No, so christians should stop saying how difficult it was for jesus to lay his life down for sinners.

is it true that scriptures about Prophet Muhammad were removed from the Bible?
The Bible was written almost 600 years before Muhammad was born. To say that the Bible should speak about Muhammad is an illusion! If I had been a Muslim, I too would have wished my prophet was authenticated by this marvellous book called the Bible! The Koran is a simple text of 114 chapters much smaller than the 150-chapter Psalms of the Bible. It would take anyone just a day to read them. Whereas the Bible was written with chronological perfection, you will not see that in the Koran.
The Bible was written over a period of 1,500 years from Moses, the first writer to that last, John the prophet, of Revelation. The original text of the Bible still exists. Educated people think in straight lines giving respect to historical facts and events. The Koran is so jumbled up that you cannot make historical sense out of its text. It also has misinformation onmany Biblical characters such as the Pharaoh, Abraham, Noah, Moses and many others. The Jesus of the Koran differs from the Biblical one.
The Dead Sea Scrolls, which are the original documents and manuscripts have all been safely kept and are dated from 1,500BC to 100AD. The earliest copies of the Bible, also calledCodexes are three in: Sinaiticus, Vaticanus and Alexandrianus. They are dated 330AD, 340AD and 425AD respectively. The subsequent texts from the Latin Vulgate of 400AD to the New Revised Standard Bible of 1990 are all available for scholarly reference.
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by adoniza(m): 6:38pm On Apr 23, 2013
Daresh:

His knowing what you will say or do even when they are contrary to his word, has not stopped him from letting you do it. He knows what will happen, even if it is against his word or does not give glory to him, let he let's it happen. He gives u the free will to choose to so what you want

That is not a free-will, before I was born I did not know what I would do nor how I would live my life, but ironically he knew.

What it means is, he inplanted the script in me, only for me to come and act it out.

I cannot change what he "knows", therefore, I can't change how my live would play-out, hence, (the script) which equals = NO FREE-WILL
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 23, 2013
Daresh:

He didn't kill them, their king killed them. The Jews are God's people. He has always fought for them.

How could God side a group of people over the other? That is racist,isn't it? Why didn't he save black people from slavery?
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 23, 2013
Daresh:

The blood of Jesus is the perfect sacrifice. Because he loves his son he will forgive your sins cos the blood of Jesus is interceding for our sins. Don't you see it's the perfect sacrifice?

Why did he need scarifies. True love doesn't demand nor kill nor need to kill his son,don't you think?

I would forgive anyone without demanding anything......to forgive without demand is a good virtue, don't you think?
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by adoniza(m): 6:48pm On Apr 23, 2013
Daresh:

Very ridiculous...

He loves his son, yet sent him down to his "creatures" to be mauled like a beast so that he would be "pleased"

So there was no other way he could forgive the world he created and "loved"

And you still call him "merciful"

Now tell me, if jesus had refused to come, and God eventually ended the world and began a new one, how would that have affected us today in 2013??

1 Like

Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Delafruita(m): 6:49pm On Apr 23, 2013
Daresh:

Jesus went through a lot of pain to do what he did. Imagine you, a king, you have servants and angels and you are called on to do what Jesus did. Live among mere mortals for 33yrs and be killed like a ram. He didn't come to earth with special powers. He came like a man like you and I. He was open to temptation and cld have fallen, open to sin, you no see all those fine babes wey follow am. His death is not the only lesson, his life was a lesson for us all. A lesson in humility and in purity. Yes he knew he will rise again to the glory of God.
if anyone on this forum can provide verifiable evidence that yeshwa bar josephus aka the christ existed without quoting the bible,i am certain there will be no atheists on this forum

if anyone on this forum can explain why matthew said jesus was born during the reign of king herod the great while luke said he was born while quirinius was governor(for those that dont know,thats about 12years apart),i am certain this arguments wont come up.

if any christian on this forum can give an explanation as to how the bible was compiled,by whom and where,then we can have a reasonable conversation.

if anyone of these christians can explain why god decideed to plant a tree that bore fruit of knowledge of good and evil,and also tell us who the tree was intended for(since by their own admission,god always has a reason for doing something)

they should also tell us why there was a tree that bore fruit of everlasting life which god had to send his angels to guard

perhaps they can also explain to us whyluke says judas committed suicide by hanging while peter says he fell in the field and his bowels spilled

perhaps they can also explain why luke and mark occupy prominent places in christianity even though they werent disciples of jesus.why should their words be acceptable when they never met jesus and luke even admits he's writing based on hearsay

perhaps they can also tell us why no single historian of his time wrote about him.its im possible that a man will assemble thousands in a small city,cause so much turmoil and not even be recorded by a single historian

perhaos they can also tell us why paul/saul keeps changing his conversion story.at one time he said those with him heard the voice but didnt see the light,another time he said they saw the light but didnt hear the voice,at another time he said he was instructed to go to a prophet to be healed and then receive further instructions,another time he said the voice he heard told him what to do.

perhaps they can also tell us why the second book of peter was written by someone else who clearly mentioned his own name in 2peter 5:12

perhaps they can tell us why there are so many discrepancies in the biblical accounts of king saul's death,david's lineage,etc

3 Likes

Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Apr 23, 2013
Bang!
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Delafruita(m): 7:00pm On Apr 23, 2013
Godside:

The Bible was written almost 600 years before Muhammad was born. To say that the Bible should speak about Muhammad is an illusion! If I had been a Muslim, I too would have wished my prophet was authenticated by this marvellous book called the Bible! The Koran is a simple text of 114 chapters much smaller than the 150-chapter Psalms of the Bible. It would take anyone just a day to read them. Whereas the Bible was written with chronological perfection, you will not see that in the Koran.
The Bible was written over a period of 1,500 years from Moses, the first writer to that last, John the prophet, of Revelation. The original text of the Bible still exists. Educated people think in straight lines giving respect to historical facts and events. The Koran is so jumbled up that you cannot make historical sense out of its text. It also has misinformation onmany Biblical characters such as the Pharaoh, Abraham, Noah, Moses and many others. The Jesus of the Koran differs from the Biblical one.
The Dead Sea Scrolls, which are the original documents and manuscripts have all been safely kept and are dated from 1,500BC to 100AD. The earliest copies of the Bible, also calledCodexes are three in: Sinaiticus, Vaticanus and Alexandrianus. They are dated 330AD, 340AD and 425AD respectively. The subsequent texts from the Latin Vulgate of 400AD to the New Revised Standard Bible of 1990 are all available for scholarly reference.
you made the absolute mistake of mentioning the dead sea scrolls.the first bible was complied between 325AD and 330AD on the orders of emperor constantine.the dead sea scrolls which you mentioned are a completely jewish text which contradict the bible on many accounts.the dead sea scrolls contain books like jubillee,enoch,tobit and others which were not canonized by the bible compilers.if you now decide that we should accept the dead sea scrollshe bible as original transcripts of the bible,you should be aware that you will be causing more problems for the christian folks
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by theseeker2: 7:04pm On Apr 23, 2013
"No heathen tribe has conceived so grotesque an idea, involving as it does the assumption, that man was born with a hereditary stain upon him; and that this stain (for which he is not personably responsible) was to be atoned for; and that the Creator of all things had to sacrifice his only begotten son to neutralize this mysterious curse." Major Yeats Brown Life of a Bengal Lancer
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by SamConquer(m): 7:09pm On Apr 23, 2013
Proudly Christian
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by adoniza(m): 7:10pm On Apr 23, 2013
the_seeker: "No heathen tribe has conceived so grotesque an idea, involving as it does the assumption, that man was born with a hereditary stain upon him; and that this stain (for which he is not personably responsible) was to be atoned for; and that the Creator of all things had to sacrifice his only begotten son to neutralize this mysterious curse." Major Yeats Brown Life of a Bengal Lancer

WORD!!
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Delafruita(m): 7:14pm On Apr 23, 2013
SamConquer: CRAZINESS OF THE HIGHEST ORDER. SEE HOW POST WITH DEROGATORY STATEMENT WHERE NOT HIDDEN COS IS TOWARDS CHRISTAIN. . .MUSLIM FOLKS TELL US WHO WAS WITH MUHAMED WHEN HE WAS RECEIVING THE INSTRUCTION FROM ANGEL WHICH CAME ABOUT THE KORAN(If Not That He Was Hallucinating). . .IF YOUR KORAN IS A ''MIRACLE'' WHY DID AMERICAN SOLDIER BURN HUNDRED OF IT AND HEAVEN DID NOT FALL NEITHER DID IT DISPLAY IT ''MIRACULOUS'' POWER IT CLAIMED. . .JESUS CHRIST IS RECOGNIZE IN ALL RELIGION-CHRISTAIN,ISLAM,JUDAISM,E.T.C BUT ONLY ISLAM RECOGNIZE THE FICTIONAL CHARACTER CALL MUHAMMED. . .AM PROUDLY CHRISTAIN TILL DEATH. . .
i still cant fathom why christians always assume critics of christiasnity to bu muslims.islam and christianity are birds of a feather
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by ayenny02(m): 7:15pm On Apr 23, 2013
Godside:

If you want to know how bible and quran was written, pls open another trend to challenge muslim abt the quran. Don't bring another trend here just let us finalise this b4 other. I hope u will defend what is on ground but shame on u, u can't say anything to defend it.
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by peedeeasobie(m): 7:17pm On Apr 23, 2013
After reading some of the most bizarre, wild and insulting comments here, I wanted to explain the death of Jesus to these ignorant and Godless pple but on a second tot I asked myself, "to what purpose?" It will only foster more foolish talks and satanized opinions! But let me ask a question. Which is more believeable? A good dat will tell u dat if u murder innocent pple, u will be given virgins in heaven? A god dat will tell u to bomb innocent pple? A god dat will tell u to kill a woman who was raped? The more u deride the sacrifice of my saviour Jesus, the more ur foolishness is made manifest. I only pray that God will help u to see the reason for the death of Jesus! It comes by revelation not explanation!
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Godside: 7:18pm On Apr 23, 2013
obadiah777: ACTS 5 VS 30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. <<< SEEMS PREETY DESCRIPTIVE TO ME. THEY HUNG HIM ON A TREE.

May God 4giv u dube
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by plaetton: 7:18pm On Apr 23, 2013
Daresh:

The jews are god's people?
Pls Repeat that and see how moronic it sounds.
And you are ..... god's ....?

And I thought you were smarter.
big laugh.
If god had a favourite, doesn't that mean that god is moved by emotions and therefore cannot be all wise and perfect.
Choosing a favourite amongst your human creations, isn't that a sure recipe for unending conflict?.

Pure baloney.
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Yvete(f): 7:22pm On Apr 23, 2013
kpolli: First bolded part, name them.

Second bolded part, if you did... You would die, so how would you spend it? Obvious you didn't think before you typed.... That's how fools kill themselves expecting to meet 40 virgins in hell...

Kpolli, why bother with discussions like this? They are time-wasters! grin
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by sunkoye: 7:24pm On Apr 23, 2013
Okija_juju: Jesus did not die for us, he was arrested and charged to court for high Treason and heresy, which according to the laws of the land was punishable by death under Section ### of the Roman Laws of the time.

Jesus decided not to go with the public defender but to represent himself in court. The first court dismissed the case against him for lack of proper evidence; the second court which was a higher court sentenced him to death.
Before his crucifixion, he had was about to be granted amnesty nut the people didn’t want him, so they granted amnesty to Barnabas and sent Jesus to the gallows.

Jesus died because He was a wanted man, who had evaded arrest for so long until he was caught slipping after one of his home boys went and snitched to the cops in exchange for money and immunity from prosecution. ..
2 Thessalonians Chapter 2- "For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

1 Like

Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by Godside: 7:25pm On Apr 23, 2013
ayenny02:
If you want to know how bible and quran was written, pls open another trend to challenge muslim abt the quran. Don't bring another trend here just let us finalise this b4 other. I hope u will defend what is on ground but shame on u, u can't say anything to defend it.

Its nt a mata of shame bro bt a mata of addin more 2ur brain-wash head cuz u dnt knw wat u r sayin
Re: Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? by andyanders: 7:25pm On Apr 23, 2013
Seanjigga: Wht a Shame ! Lord appear 2 dis doubters & blind dem like Saul until dey believe ... Its takes da Holy Spirit 2 understand da BiBle. May u doubters nt end up like da thief on da left hand of Jesus. Blasphemy dis wht dis post is all abt.

AMEN.AMENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply)

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Afraid Of Hell/Lake Of Fire? / Paul Adefarasin And Wife Celebrate 21st Wedding Anniversary / If You Asked To Spend A Day With One Person In Bible Who Will You Choose?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.