Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,986 members, 7,814,367 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (41966 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

he was raised by a single parent with help from grandparents.
this can also be said for majority of so called kids raised in "single parent" households. it is all made possible sometimes with help from grandparents, uncles, aunts etc.

He was raised by his grandparents from the age of 10 while his mother was away on another continent. These are verifiable facts.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 6:34pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

He was raised by his grandparents from the age of 10 while his mother was away on another continent. These are verifiable facts.

actually, he lived in indonesia (the other continent you are talking about) with his mom until the age of 10 when he came back to hawaii to start school at a prestigious college prep academy in hawaii sponsored by his grandmother who was a bank vice president. from there, he went on to occidental college at the age of 17.
stop twisting the facts.

I read his memoir so I know. did you?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

actually, he lived in indonesia (the other continent you are talking about) with his mom until the age of 10 when he came back to hawaii to start school at a prestigious college prep academy in hawaii. from there, he went on to occidental college at the age of 17.
stop twisting the facts.

I read his memoir so I know. did you?

Where did i "twist the facts"? you do agree that he was RAISED from the age of 10 solely by his grandparents no?
Secondly, all the time he was in indonesia, you do agree that his mother wasnt "single" since she was MARRIED and raising other kids as well no?

What has his going to occidental college at 17 to do with the issue? Besides your need to let us know you read his memoirs?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 6:40pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent: more about senator wendy davis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZeKVOdADh4

If abortion is what you want in feminism I'm sorry y'all will loose. The battle in Texas is not over yet. Have your fun but unborn babies have rights too. This abortion issue is the reason why I registered in the Republican Party of Ohio. What is wrong with y'all?

By the end of this decade it will be almost impossible to have abortions in most US states and this is a battle to save defence less unborn babies and not a battle to enslave women.

Yeye de smell. Okwa Texas. I trust them. You don't want a child, close your legs! You can't close your legs, use a condom (I can provide this for free cool ) . If a criminal rapes you, report to police and get medical attention within 72hrs of rape. Not when the fetus is 7 months old you start yelling abortion rights. It ain't gonna happen. Not in Ohio, and I'm sure not in Texas. You can go to New York or better still Europe.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 6:44pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

Where did i "twist the facts"? you do agree that he was RAISED from the age of 10 solely by his grandparents no?
Secondly, all the time he was in indonesia, you do agree that his mother wasnt "single" since she was MARRIED and raising other kids as well no?

What has his going to occidental college at 17 to do with the issue? Besides your need to let us know you read his memoirs?

he was not raised solely by his grandparents. he was partially raised by his grandparents. and you can say the same for the 70% of so called black kids raised by single moms. majority of them aren't raised by single moms when you consider that many of them spend time with grandparents and other family members. duh. or that they were raised in two parent household for some years before divorce etc or later when parents re-marry.
even kids raised in two parent households are sometimes partially raised by house-helps.

u twisted the fact when u make it seem as if his mom left him to travel to foreign continents. when in fact, his mom made the decision to let him go to a prestigious school in hawaii.
many nigerians send their kids from age 10 to attend federal boarding schools in distant states. is there any difference?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

he was not raised solely by his grandparents. he was partially raised by his grandparents. and you can say the same for the 70% of so called black kids raised by single moms. majority of them aren't raised by single moms when you consider that many of them spend time with grandparents and other family members. duh. or that they were raised in two parent household for some years before divorce etc or later when parents re-marry.
even kids raised in two parent households are sometimes partially raised by house-helps.

u twisted the fact when u make it seem as if his mom left him to travel to foreign continents. when in fact, his mom made the decision to let him go to a prestigious school in hawaii.
many nigerians send their kids from age 10 to attend federal boarding schools in distant states. is there any difference?

Again i ask... i simply said his grandparents raised him from the age of 10. The only "make it seem as if" is you reading your own thoughts into my words then turning around to claim i "twisted the facts" when i just laid them bare for everyone to see.

He did stay with his grandparents from the age of 10... whether it was to go to a "prestigious school" or not is beside the point and an irrelevant red herring. She had other kids... why werent they good enough to be shipped off to Hawaii to attend the same prep school? She chose to keep those ones with her and her husband.

The only person twisting facts here is you... we all know his mother was married in Malaysia... so even then he was not raised by a single mom but by a two-parent family.

Like someone has made clear here... even Obama writes about how tough it was growing up without a father which is why he has consistently stated his determination to keep his daughters in a loving two-parent home. Its funny that the only people glamorizing Obama's youth family situation are those who were never there to walk in his shoes. If it was such a "wonderful" experience then i wonder why he preaches about the value of two parents being home with their children so strenuously. Surely he knows something you dont... reading 2000 memoirs is irrelevant.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 6:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

grin
you 'indirectly' called someone a b*itch, w*itch
and u get angry 0

Ok, I get you. Revenge mission. You win. I was making fun of that issue. But honestly, from the bottom of my innocent heart, I really dot know what to call you. I called you a girl and you got offended. I called a feminist in wales "a lady" she sent me a two page attachment e-mail telling me how she has just been offended. When I complained some other ladies in my class came to my rescue and said I could call them lady.
My nephew got into trouble in school for calling his teacher "a woman".

So you can call me naive if you will. But truth is, I honestly don't know what to call you or any self identified feminist out there. I just don't know what I'll say and they get offended. I've met quite a number of feminists in Europe and America. They are always irritable. I don't know why.

So what can I call you then?
Woman? Lady? What?

2 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 6:51pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:

If abortion is what you want in feminism I'm sorry y'all will loose. The battle in Texas is not over yet. Have your fun but unborn babies have rights too. This abortion issue is the reason why I registered in the Republican Party of Ohio. What is wrong with y'all?

By the end of this decade it will be almost impossible to have abortions in most US states and this is a battle to save defence less unborn babies and not a battle to enslave women.

Yeye de smell. Okwa Texas. I trust them. You don't want a child, close your legs! You can't close your legs, use a condom (I can provide this for free cool ) . If a criminal rapes you, report to police and get medical attention within 72hrs of rape. Not when the fetus is 7 months old you start yelling abortion rights. It ain't gonna happen. Not in Ohio, and I'm sure not in Texas. You can go to New York or better still Europe.

lol. no comment.
I wonder why those texas republican old men are hell bent on controlling women's wombs. hahahaha
goodluck in ur dreams of banning abortion to enslave women.rotflmao.

on another note, women won a battle last week to be able to get plan b contraceptives over the counter for all ages. obama fought for this and stands for women's reproductive rights. which is why women voted him in of course cool
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/us/fda-clears-way-for-contraceptive.html?ref=planbcontraceptive
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/20/science/la-sci-fda-plan-b-20130621
it is things like this that will help reduce high rates of abortion in d first place.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

lol. no comment.
I wonder why those texas republican old men are hell bent on controlling women's wombs. hahahaha

on another note, women won a battle last week to be able to get plan b contraceptives over the counter for all ages. obama fought for this and stands for women's reproductive rights. which is why women voted him in of course cool
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/us/fda-clears-way-for-contraceptive.html?ref=planbcontraceptive
it is things like this that will help reduce high rates of abortion in d first place.

Actually Obama fought to keep age restrictions on access to plan B contraceptives and lost. You should pay attention to the news.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 6:56pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:

Ok, I get you. Revenge mission. You win. I was making fun of that issue. But honestly, from the bottom of my innocent heart, I really dot know what to call you. I called you a girl and you got offended. I called a feminist in wales "a lady" she sent me a two page attachment e-mail telling me how she has just been offended. When I complained some other ladies in my class came to my rescue and said I could call them lady.
My nephew got into trouble in school for calling his teacher "a woman".

So you can call me naive if you will. But truth is, I honestly don't know what to call you or any self identified feminist out there. I just don't know what I'll say and they get offended. I've met quite a number of feminists in Europe and America. They are always irritable. I don't know why.

So what can I call you then?
Woman? Lady? What?

you are making a mountain out of a mole-hill.
I was only questioning your motive for speaking of girls in relation to men. esp when u talked about marriage and gender roles.
i'm sure you studied in primary school that:girl is to boy as man is to woman.
abi?

you are quite irritable yourself.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:

Single issue voters are America's greatest problem. You registered republican because you oppose abortion? The same republicans who care nothing for the baby AFTER he/she is born? Amazing.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 6:59pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

lol. no comment.

In not against contraceptives. Condom is a form of contraceptive. I'm all for it, but once a fetus is there, forget it, it's a human being, it has rights.

And stopping abortion is not enslavement of women, it's protection of the unborn children. I don't know why a woman will go to great length to secure the right to have an abortion at 20weeks gestation. If you guys invested the same level of energy into personal responsibility you won't have an unwanted pregnancy in the first place.

Unless the life of the woman is a risk ( where she will need therapeutic abortion) abortion is immoral before man and God and must be stopped.

Ok, so this is what feminism is all about eh? Sorry.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 7:02pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

Actually Obama fought to keep age restrictions on access to plan B contraceptives and lost. You should pay attention to the news.

he is the president so you can't really say that he "lost"
if bush were in power or even mccain or romney. trust that the case will go all the way to the supreme court.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/2013/0611/Morning-after-pill-how-the-politics-of-Plan-B-changed-for-Obama
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 7:03pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

Single issue voters are America's greatest problem. You registered republican because you oppose abortion? The same republicans who care nothing for the baby AFTER he/she is born? Amazing.

Yes in a single issue voter. I'm not America's problem. I will vote for the GOP anytime in local elections bc I care so much about killing of unborn defenseless babies.

However, I support universal healthcare. I voted for Romney bc I know he won't throw away obamacare which is nothing but federalized romneycare (Obamneycare).

But that's a debate for another thread.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 7:04pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:
In not against contraceptives. Condom is a form of contraceptive. I'm all for it,

right. until that day comes when women can use their magical power to force condom on a guy. or that day when they can gain magical powers to prevent guys from drugging their drinks, then u can say as much as u want.
until then, i'm happy with laws that give women options to gain control over their wombs.
options being the key here.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

he is the president so you can't really say that he "lost"
if bush were in power or even mccain. trust that the case will go all the way to the supreme court.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/2013/0611/Morning-after-pill-how-the-politics-of-Plan-B-changed-for-Obama

We are splitting hairs here. The justice department fought the case in court, appealed and yet lost. those are just facts you cannot throw away because they dont fit your narrow worldview.

Not everything goes to the supreme court and being president doesnt mean you get your way.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:

Yes in a single issue voter. I'm not America's problem. I will vote for the GOP anytime in local elections bc I care so much about killing of unborn defenseless babies.

However, I support universal healthcare. I voted for Romney bc I know he won't throw away obamacare which is nothing but federalized romneycare (Obamneycare).

But that's a debate for another thread.

You must be thoroughly confused... you support universal healthcare yet support a party that is determined to get rid of it? Romney's promise was to repeal Obamacare by executive order on his first day in office... i'm sure you slept through the campaign.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 7:07pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:
I voted for Romney because

see them coming out... grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 7:07pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

you are making a mountain out of a mole-hill.
I was only questioning your motive for speaking of girls in relation to men. esp when u talked about marriage and gender roles.
i'm sure you studied in primary school that:girl is to boy as man is to woman.
abi?

you are quite irritable yourself.

You're still insulting me but lets get on with the debate. where I live, men like to be called Men and women like to be called girls. Perhaps I was trying to please both. That's all. That's my motive, trying to please all.

Next pls.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 7:10pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

see them coming out... grin

Coming out? I wasn't hiding.
I'm republican and I'm black. Nigerian. I'm not your tea party angry looking republican. I'm more like a north east republican( Romney, Cristie, etc) Fvck the southerners.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:

Coming out? I wasn't hiding.
I'm republican and I'm black. Nigerian. I'm not your tea party angry looking republican. I'm more like a north east republican( Romney, Cristie, etc) Fvck the southerners.

You're living in cuckoo land. Christie will never win a republican primary... and the south is basically the base of the republican party. The rest of you up north are only making noise.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 7:15pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

Like someone has made clear here... even Obama writes about how tough it was growing up without a father which is why he has consistently stated his determination to keep his daughters in a loving two-parent home.

ok. I thought you said he grew up with two parents so therefore he doesn't qualify as someone being raised with a single mom. so now u are distingushing the way he was raised from that of a household with two parents. hahah see contradiction. esp since his mom didn't remarry until he was 6. he lived with his single mom and grand parents up until he left with his mother to jakarta.
do you know what his relationship is to his step-father. abeg. u sound like one of those people who like to argue for d sake of arguing because u r contradicting urself here.

and of course loving two-parent home is the best. emphasis on "loving"
u can have a two-parent household where the father is absent 90% of the time. how is this different from a single parent family. remember even michelle obama herself "misspoke" recently and called herself a single parent. LOL reason being that barack is rarely around.

nothing wrong with loving two parent homes. it's ideal. but when we start persecuting single mothers or blaming them for societal ills. then how does that help? how is that different from what they do in africa where they scapegoat older female widows as "witches" usually the most vulnerable ppl being blamed for societal ills.

2 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 7:15pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

You must be thoroughly confused... you support universal healthcare yet support a party that is determined to get rid of it? Romney's promise was to repeal Obamacare by executive order on his first day in office... i'm sure you slept through the campaign.
I'm wiser than that bro, politicians say anything to win elections. You'd be damned to take any campaign speech seriously. I don't. Bc I know it's baloney.
Same Romany that talked of "self deportation" during the primaries turned around in the general election to be like a dove. Abegi, I look more at their history than their campaign speech.

Romney's history:

Romneycare.
Anti Confederacy statements he made in 2008 that made southerners to hate him so much.
Working with democrats in Massachusetts

My problem with him is that he wasn't very anti abortion as governor. He was mild on abortion.
Who's the confused man now?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 7:15pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:
Obama writes about how tough it was growing up without a father which is why he has consistently stated his determination to keep his daughters in a loving two-parent home. Its funny that the only people glamorizing Obama's youth family situation are those who were never there to walk in his shoes. If it was such a "wonderful" experience then i wonder why he preaches about the value of two parents being home with their children so strenuously. Surely he knows something you dont... reading 2000 memoirs is irrelevant.

Busted!!
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 7:18pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:

You're still insulting me but lets get on with the debate. where I live, men like to be called Men and women like to be called girls.

well, you are republican. i'm sure ur white friends call you ni*gger and you thoroughly enjoy it. hence why they feel that all blacks like being called ni*gger.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 7:19pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

You're living in cuckoo land. Christie will never win a republican primary... and the south is basically the base of the republican party. The rest of you up north are only making noise.

When I have my innermost principle I don't flow with the crowd. I didn't register with the GOP bc I want them to win elections.

GOP is dying bc of people like Sarah Palin and tea party but don't forget, democrats have a problem with managing victory grin

But Dave we are derailing this thread. Lets leave this stuff for another thread.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

ok. I thought you said he grew up with two parents so therefore he doesn't qualify as someone being raised with a single mom. so now u are distingushing the way he was raised from that of a household with two parents. hahah see contradiction. esp since his mom didn't remarry until he was 6. he lived with his single mom and grand parents up until he left with his mother to jakarta.
do you know what his relationship is to his step-father. abeg. u sound like one of those people who like to argue for d sake of arguing because u r contradicting urself here.

you seem to be stumbling around here. I didnt say what you "thought". That was in your own head. Fellis made the claim that Obama is an example of a man raised by a single mother who made it, i only stepped in to remind her that he was raised from the age of 10 by his grandparents... i.e. the single-mom as supermom trope is nonsense since she relies so heavily on family to help out. The rest of the stuff you wrote must be your own fantasy.

Yep his mother didnt remarry till he was 6 so what? Read his memoirs... its pretty obvious he wasnt a fan of his family situation. But of course pple like you who were never there know better no?

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:
I'm wiser than that bro, politicians say anything to win elections. You'd be damned to take any campaign speech seriously. I don't. Bc I know it's baloney.
Same Romany that talked of "self deportation" during the primaries turned around in the general election to be like a dove. Abegi, I look more at their history than their campaign speech.

Romney's history:

Romneycare.
Anti Confederacy statements he made in 2008 that made southerners to hate him so much.
Working with democrats in Massachusetts

My problem with him is that he wasn't very anti abortion as governor. He was mild on abortion.
Who's the confused man now?

Offtopic... but you give Romney too much credit... who do you think he was going to work with in congress to keep Obamacare the law of the land? I'll have some of that stuff you've been smoking bro. grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 7:24pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

you seem to be stumbling around here. I didnt say what you "thought". That was in your own head. Fellis made the claim that Obama is an example of a man raised by a single mother who made it, i only stepped in to remind her that he was raised from the age of 10 by his grandparents... i.e. the single-mom as supermom trope is nonsense since she relies so heavily on family to help out. The rest of the stuff you wrote must be your own fantasy.

Yep his mother didnt remarry till he was 6 so what? Read his memoirs... its pretty obvious he wasnt a fan of his family situation. But of course pple like you who were never there know better no?

well, i'm not fellis. i am just pointing out the inconsistencies I see in your post.
and like I said, the bastardization of "single motherhood" is borne out of ignorace and sexism when you get to the core of it. since women tend not to be single throughout their lives. a child is usually raised by a single mother for a portion of their lives and even if they are raised throughout, there is help from family members etc.

on the other hand, there are situations where a child's parents are married, yet the child is raised solely by the mother while the father might be absent or abusive. yet, such child is on the surface seen to be raised in a two-parent household.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 7:27pm On Jun 29, 2013
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

well, i'm not fellis. i am just pointing out the inconsistencies I see in your post.
and like I said, the bastardization of "single motherhood" is borne out of ignorace and sexism when you get to the core of it. since women tend not to be single throughout their lives. a child is usually raised by a single mother for a portion of their lives and even if they are raised throughout, there is help from family members etc.

on the other hand, there are situations where a child's parents are married, yet the child is raised solely by the mother while the father might be absent or abusive. yet, such child is on the surface seen to be raised in a two-parent household.

I made a statement of fact - he was raised from the age of 10 by his grandparents. What was the "inconsistency" there? Seems to me you just want to argue endlessly.

Back to your other point... no one is "bastardizing" single motherhood... the kids who lived through that experience arent exactly rushing to provide their own kids with the same experience. I wonder why... ignorance and sexism on their part too?

If single motherhood is all you all crack it up to be then why are single mothers usually very desperate to marry and raise their kids in two-parent families? Perhaps they are just ignorant and sexist too?

I thoroughly deplore tactics like this... the use of inflammatory but baseless ad hominems to shut down debate when you have nothing else to say.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 7:33pm On Jun 29, 2013
ok good for you. he was partially raised by his grand parents from age 10-16. sure u win.

anyway,
nothing wrong with loving two parent homes. it's ideal. but when we start persecuting single mothers or blaming them for societal ills. then how does that help? how is that different from what they do in africa where they scapegoat older female widows as "witches" usually the most vulnerable ppl being blamed for societal ills.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (42) (Reply)

Kemi Adeosun Poses With Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (Photo) / Killer Herdsmen Unleash Terror On Oyo Communities / Marylin Ogar Redeployed To Borno Command Center

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.