Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (42010 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 24, 2013
Born in 1977, she has risen to become one of the most recognized writers of our time. Chimamanda Adichie’s TED Global talk on the Danger of a Single Story went viral almost as soon as it was put online, and deservedly so and has now been watched almost 4 million times! Her passion for writing is only rivaled by her passion for social justice, for equality, for a world where one's gender does not define you. That passion is present in her profoundly thought-provoking TEDxEuston talk which challenges the way girls are raised in certain societies and which invites us to re-think the conventional wisdom that governs such ideas. She takes on one of the most challenging issues of our times, delivered in a style that is uniquely hers.

Watch her enthralling talk here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3umXU_qWc
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:09am On Apr 25, 2013
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Scarpon(m): 12:50am On Apr 25, 2013
hia which one be feminist again? ?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 16, 2013
I'm surprised this very interesting topic has such low number of followership.shows how much our mne aren't ready to accept women as equals.
Sad
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 10:14pm On May 16, 2013
lorretta u: I'm surprised this very interesting topic has such low number of followership.shows how much our mne aren't ready to accept women as equals.
Sad
Like seriously, something like this should have been on the frontpage a long time ago, instead all we see is "Tiwa Savage when she was young"...it's quite a shame.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Paschal007: 11:34pm On May 16, 2013
Good. I hope y'all are ready to be judged according to men's standard.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 17, 2013
Scarpon: hia which one be feminist again? ?
Hehehe
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:54am On Jun 02, 2013
OK. I didn't enjoy any of Chimamanda's books (got too bored to finish them)but, I enjoy her TED talks and speeches.
her first TED talk seem to rephrase Achebe's own interview with Moyers and now with her second speech, I get the point. These are not unique or original ideas. They don't have to be, as long as they are presented in a unique and brilliant way that allows it to reach a large number of people and spread the message. I love her for that. Her ideas may not be original but her storytelling and execution is definitely brilliant!

I agree that this should be on the front page.
Nigeria has a long way to go in recognizing women's rights.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Tolexander: 3:11am On Jun 02, 2013
Ti gbogbo araye ba di oloro, tani yi o ma ke yeparipa(if the whole deity worshippers start casting prayer to the deity, who will be responding yeparipa)?

Or if the christians start shouting in Jesus name, who will be saying amen?

Better we have the feminists and masculinists!

4 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 3:13am On Jun 02, 2013
^ You took the title very literally.

society is very masculinist already. We don't need any more of them.
what we are in a short supply of are feminists. watch the video.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by gothrones(m): 4:41am On Jun 02, 2013
bump
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:12am On Jun 02, 2013
99cent:
Nigeria has a long way to go in recognizing women's rights.

What rights do women don't have(constitutionally) in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by adexsimply(m): 10:43am On Jun 02, 2013
smiley

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by adexsimply(m): 10:50am On Jun 02, 2013
we need writers like SIDNEY SHELDON, who dedicated about 98 percent of his books to promoting FEMINISM
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Afroconnect: 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2013
Chimanda you are too much,I agree with you sweetie.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Matthewbriggs(m): 4:49pm On Jun 02, 2013
Chimamanda is an exceptional writer, she's always on point. I wish most women understand what gender equality truly is...

1. Men and Women are not equals:- Most feminist I encounter are well versed about gender equality and they argue that men and women are equal, especially when it comes to intelligence and given that we are in a dispensation where what decides superiority is no longer physical strength but intelligence.

They believe based on this, they should be given equal opportunity, privilege and standing with men. The propagation of this premise has been a major hindrance to the snail like success of gender equality.

It is to be noted, that for two things to be equal they most share the same characteristics. Therefore this premise holds no water because of the wide difference in the biological make up and type of intelligence exhibited by both genders.

I think a better premise should be "Yes Men and Women are different but are both humans and as such women are entitled to their fundamental human rights, therefore should receive equal treatment unless there is a sound biological reason for a different treatment". This is what true Gender equality proposes … "excerpts from Wikipedia".

But on a closer look, this definition harbors a clause which is "unless there is a sound biological reason for a different treatment". This in my perspective has been the major bone of contention from both sides.

Because in what scenario or occurrences should females be given unequal treatment due to a biological reasons.

Now it is left women to engage intelligently with the world why there is no biological reason why they should be treated in certain manner in a given scenario, and fight against policies from this perspective instead of fighting their cause with false ideologies such as "Men and women are equal , What a man can do a woman can do better, Women more are intelligent that men", type of arguments, in general ideologies that have a an aggressive undertone. This leads me to my next truth

excerpt from- https://www.nairaland.com/1284502/men-women-not-equals-briggs
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:51am On Jun 04, 2013
ItsModella: Born in 1977, she has risen to become one of the most recognized writers of our time. Chimamanda Adichie’s TED Global talk on the Danger of a Single Story went viral almost as soon as it was put online, and deservedly so and has now been watched almost 4 million times! Her passion for writing is only rivaled by her passion for social justice, for equality, for a world where one's gender does not define you. That passion is present in her profoundly thought-provoking TEDxEuston talk which challenges the way girls are raised in certain societies and which invites us to re-think the conventional wisdom that governs such ideas. She takes on one of the most challenging issues of our times, delivered in a style that is uniquely hers.

Watch her enthralling talk here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3umXU_qWc

Sister!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked
It has just over 40, 000 views grin grin grin

But I enjoyed it a lot wink
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 4:45am On Jun 04, 2013
I.Joan:

Sister!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked
It has just over 40, 000 views grin grin grin

But I enjoyed it a lot wink
read the post again undecided undecided.

"Chimamanda Adichie’s TED Global talk on the Danger of a Single Story went viral almost as soon as it was put online, and deservedly so and has now been watched almost 4 million times!"

As you can see, that is not the same thing with this. And that is not limited to youtube as you are assuming.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 5:33am On Jun 04, 2013
ooo sowiii

okay!
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 11:44pm On Jun 26, 2013
lorretta u: I'm surprised this very interesting topic has such low number of followership.shows how much our mne aren't ready to accept women as equals.
Sad

Gender equality is NOT the same as being anti-men. It's not the fault of men that this thread is not making headlines. But I can guess why this thread is not making headlines.
1. It seems like an intellectual thread( I'm yet I watch the video though). Nairaland is not the place to discuss very brilliant issues. Nairaland is a place for entertainment issues, bigotry, trivial issues and other small talk like "Genevieve brushed her teeth"
"Tonto dike is eating" etc

2. May be there's nothing to fight here between warring ethnic groups and so the ethnic combatants won't find the thread interesting. grin

3. Feminism isn't really our culture.

4. You can add the rest of the guesswork wink
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 12:25am On Jun 27, 2013
I love you chimamanda but with all due respect I disagree with you on many issues here.
Feminism isn't our culture. Any injustice to any woman must be addressed but there has to be gender role in the society. That's the way it is.

This feminism movement started in the 60s and statistics show that from the 70s on till today, divorce and marriage breakdown has spiraled to the point whereby today men are primarily skeptical about marriage and family values.

Nature has granted us gender roles in life. Period cool

You may not agree with me but this is my opinion and I'm being polite about it and so I expect those who disagree with me to be polite too tongue

3 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:28am On Jun 27, 2013
toshmann: I love you chimamanda but with all due respect I disagree with you on many issues here.
Feminism isn't our culture. Any injustice to any woman must be addressed but there has to be gender role in the society. That's the way it is.

This feminism movement started in the 60s and statistics show that from the 70s on till today, divorce and marriage breakdown has spiraled to the point whereby today men are primarily skeptical about marriage and family values.

Nature has granted us gender roles in life. Period cool

You may not agree with me but this is my opinion and I'm being polite about it and so I expect those who disagree with me to be polite too tongue

WRONG
-feminism is not a culture. it is a social/political rights ideology meant to tackle gender based discrimination and prejudice in our institutions.

-feminism DID NOT start in the 60s. It only gained momentum in the 60s in the west because of the political atmosphere at the time ex. black civil rights movement and even gay rights movement were also popular in the 60s, african countries were gaining independence in the 60s. it was a very politically charged decade around the world. but that doesn't mean that any ideology "started" in the 60s.

-If some men are skeptical about marriage and family values then that's because they are greedy and egotistical. They want to eat their cake and have it. ie have a wife who contributes financially to the home AND is submissive to the wishes of the male. IMPOSSIBLE.

-Yes of course men and females are biologically different gender. But feminism demands institutional rights not natural rights. hospitals, schools, marriage institution, churches, law, corporations, language, court systems,political government systems etc are all man-made institutions/creations. they weren't created by nature. otherwise, Africa will be equally developed as Europe (unless u agree that whites have different biological make up than blacks which causes white folks to be more developed. YES some racists argue that whites have bigger brains)

-of course it's an opinion of yours. and no feminist will ever agree with such misguided/sexist opinion.

6 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:40am On Jun 27, 2013
toshmann:

3. Feminism isn't really our culture.

since you repeated this twice.

do you realize that you are typing in english and english language is not African?
what is Nigerian/African culture ?
is our western system of government inherently African?
Is the cloth you are wearing traditional?
The house you live in, is it built from materials your great grand father used?
Your occupation. if you are a white collar worker, do you realize that that job did not exist before colonization? and therefore it is unafrican?
So why do you feel that women should be treated based on 1800s "traditional" ideas where as we live in a society where our institutions are western? IF england no longer forces its women to be subjected to severe sexist treatments (as it did in the victorian era when colonization began), why do u feel the need to appropriate this sexist culture and reject the others that do not benefit you as an african male?

"our culture"
who decides what "our culture" is?
are you sure you are following "our culture"?
examine yourself.
who does the culture benefit? who does it discriminate against?who does it marginalize?
the coservatives (traditionalists) are usually those who benefit from the status quo and therefore resist change. those who press for change are usually those who are marginalized in the present system.

https://www.nairaland.com/1310503/akwa-ibom-outlaws-drinking-corpse-bath-water

2 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:46am On Jun 27, 2013
^^^Hiya, I'm trying to sleep but I can't. I guess I'll engage you in the feminism debate again tonight before I sleep off lool.

Anyway, what's the basis of comparison between feminism and the English language?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:38am On Jun 27, 2013
ShyM-X:
^^^Hiya, I'm trying to sleep but I can't. I guess I'll engage you in the feminism debate again tonight before I sleep off lool.

Anyway, what's the basis of comparison between feminism and the English language?

language is part of culture.
if feminism isn't in "our culture" then you can make the same argument for many other things that we do that isn't part of our traditional culture.
why do we accept english language. but we can't accept women's rights?

on another level, language itself can be sexist. but I won't go into that. All I can say is that the bible translation that i use is gender-neutral cool
I guess the assumption when written language was formed is that only men will have access to written material so pronouns are male gender heavy. which makes sense because not long ago, women did not have access to education.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 3:05am On Jun 27, 2013
99cent:

language is part of culture.
if feminism isn't in "our culture" then you can make the same argument for many other things that we do that isn't part of our traditional culture.
why do we accept english language. but we can't accept women's rights?

on another level, language itself can be sexist. but I won't go into that. All I can say is that the bible translation that i use is gender-neutral cool
I guess the assumption when written language was formed is that only men will have access to written material so pronouns are male gender heavy. which makes sense because not long ago, women did not have access to education.

My point is that; there's absolutely no correlation between feminism and why we speak the English language. We didn't choose to speak the language - we were forced to speak it. However, I can twist your reference into another argument and make a case for why feminism is foreign, fake, and why it shouldn't be allowed to gain a foot-hold in Africa. Africans aren't native speakers of the English language. And no matter how Africans speak the English language - they will always be foreign English speakers to native Anglo-saxons. Same reason why feminism should be treated with disdain by upstanding Africans. Enough of all these foreign ideologies and cultures that have left us more confused, faker, and insecured - than we were in the past.

Hell no, we can't accept wholesome feminism - however, like I asserted on the other thread - we can accept womanism as defined by Alice Walker. Womanism tries to find a balance between our unique African culture(s) and certain aspects of feminism; hereby bringing our culture into the 21st century. Our culture forms the nucleus of womanism, with certain aspects of feminism at the peripheral.

As for Chimamanda; everything she said in that clip is pure nonsense. She needs to stop trying to speak that retar.ded fake british accent(I doubt she ever lived in the UK for a day) and speak more American, since she lives there. Still don't know why she speaks like Ben Okri, to be honest loool. She's as fake as her sermon! Tell her to stick to writing fictional tales about purple hibiscus and half of a yellow sun. She's a good story-teller but definitely not a great/critical thinker.

4 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by chei: 3:24am On Jun 27, 2013
Feminism is not about gender rights, its about women rights. They don't care about men or their feelings/thoughts and welfare.
All societies are governed and ruled by men because we monopolize power and violence. Some societies chose to give their female folk certain rights and priviledges while some chose not to in respect to what suits their idea of an ideal society or due to their respect to certain traditions and religion.
Feminists have certain behavioral and attitudinal issues. Feminists view the male gender in a negative perspective. They often believe men are toys who can be coaxed or coerced to obey their will and choices at any given. Women cannot forcefully take anything from men. Never. Women are not naturally forceful or violent creatures.
It is only through dialogue, compromise and understanding that we can all get along just fine.
Feminist should be subtle in their demands or they'll provoke the ire of men.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 3:58am On Jun 27, 2013
I believe God made women out of men, to be loved by men. I believe in equal pay for men and women when they do the same job, I see it as human right not feminism.
Feminism insists on restructuring gender roles. A girl is to be more domesticated than men, doesn't mean a woman is her husbands housegirl, no. But women are supposed to dress like women, take time to look good ( how can she dress ugly just to be taken seriously.)

Feminism attempts to challenge the role of men in the social setting. While I'll be concerned about my male kids having girlfriends, I'll obviously be more concerned about my female kids having boyfriends. Bc boys don't get pregnant. Girls do. They are the ones who will drop out of school to nurse a bastard.

Of course girls are under greater pressure to marry bc their time is limited. This is common sense. Men can delay marriage even up till age 50 and still have kids. How many women can do that. You can't beat nature.

Statistics show that marriages where the woman earns more than the man are more likely to breakdown. grin
Don't ask me why. Men are prepared by nature to take care of women. When men are emasculated, by society, and the women have better finances they still don't have that "thing" about leading in a relationship. And many of such rlshps breakdown.

Now I love chimamanda but when she complains about girls being asked to sit properly, close their legs . I'm appalled. What's wrong with her. Next she will want to challenge men and urinate upwards. Or ask for similar urinary facilities in the female bathrooms.

Chill sister, estrogen and testosterone no be de same. The middle finger is not the same as the thumb but all them fingers work together to form an efficient hand.

Let women be women and let men be men.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (42) (Reply)

President Macron Meets Buhari In Abuja (Photos) / Qatar Rejects Tinubu’s Proposed Business Meeting / How I Knew That Leaked Phone Call Between Obi & Oyedepo Was Fake – Chuks Akunna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.