Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (42041 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Horus(m): 2:07am On Jun 28, 2013
Feminism subtly is turning women into men. This is often manifesting itself in the form of Lesbianism or women who focus too much on money.
The latter are women who become very materialistic and tend to buy luxury items. Feminism is the granddaughter of capitalism.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 2:07am On Jun 28, 2013
ItsModella:
yay!! I'll take Adaobi along with me grin grin

adaobi123:

Yaaay America here I come ! grin

That's okay kids, good behavior will always be rewarded. That's my children's day gift to you smiley

Matthew briggs:
LOl epic, U don denounce the fight for gender equality because of 2 Disney tickets, women rights movt still have a long way to go, cheesy. toshmann you try, you took down a feminist, with one wannabe feminist with just 2 disney tickets. You too much

One of my little contributions to make the world a better place wink
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 2:09am On Jun 28, 2013
stillwater:
I agree society impounds on us to mate with what's readily available and that attitude needs to be changed.
It goes both ways you know smiley
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 2:12am On Jun 28, 2013
J12: This Chimamanda is sexy o shocked shocked I hard a proper bòner while watching her gesticulate angry angry

Na people like you de vex chimamanda grin
If she see this ya post she go explode cheesy
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:40am On Jun 28, 2013
stillwater:
Naa I don't support single motherhood. Kids fare better in double parenthood. wink
Not really.
Mind you, I am not against both parents raising kids but when that translates to one parent playing controlling dictator over another or demanding constant submission of their spouse to them or in a situation where any of the parents is suffering abuse, then I would prefer single parenthood. Because environments like that are toxic to kids even if both parents are present.
The source of problems in single parenthood is not necessarily single parenthood itself, but a combination of different problems like economic/financial problems, family instability or lack of skill for parenting duties in the parent. A single parent with adequate resources may provide a stable, nurturing home in which children thrive just as well as those who have 2 parents would work out fine.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:41am On Jun 28, 2013
99cent:

no it's NOT healthy at all.
I guess I worded that wrongly. I meant that the first relationship is the best followed by the second one. that last one is the WORST.
Alright, I understand.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 2:45am On Jun 28, 2013
99cent:
first of all, why do you use the word "girl" as a point of comparison to the word "men"?

Girl is this a problem for ya? I'm ready to call you whatever you want to be called. Choose one;
Girl
Old woman
Biatch
Witch grin
Etc: I promise to call you whatever you want.

Next pls

also, are men supposed to dress 'ugly'? all people, male or female, should dress neatly.
besides the emphasis that women should spend a lot of time looking good wasn't always that way. there are periods in history when men put more focus on their looks than women. in fact, men in the 16th century europe are known to wear heels and fashionable clothes and wigs. u can see the remnants of this tradition in the wigs judges wear in courts and even in renaissance oil paintings.

the point is that women should be able to decide for themselves how they want to look. In puritan societies, in fact, women are banned from wearing make-up, jewelry or looking "good". they are forced to dress very plainly and drab.
this is also a way of repressing women by enforcing societal code of dressing or appearance on them. there are many ways to repress women.
else, how would u explain that in some societies women are pressured to look good. whereas in other societies, women have to look plain. keep in mind, no rule whatsoever applies to men who can look however they want!

gender roles are social constructs (man made) NOT biological.

Girl you know there's no law against dressing how you want to dress. So quit complaining and go shopping, pick anything you want and wear it. Nothing stops you. Stop complaining, that's all I'm saying. If you hate lipsticks, there is no law that says you must wear lipstick. Haba!

this is the same argument pro-rapists make. when a girl is raped, they blame it on the girl and say things like "why weren't you covering up in a burqa" or "why were you walking down the street by yourself without a chaperone" etc. the rapist or sexual abuser goes scot free in Africa and may be even praised by other males .society condones sexual exploits by males and condemns women for the same. Africa as a continent has the highest rate of sexua.l violence in the world.
Raping a woman is against the law. If anyone is found guilty he's going to jail regardless of whether the victim was wearing seductive clothes or not. You want to be a man yet you can separate laws from talk. As far as the law is concerned if anyone is guilty of rape he's a goner. Don't bother yourself with what bystanders say about the victim's clothes. It's called freedom of speech. Deal with it.

when there is a government and rule of law, males that impregnate women will be forced to bear responsibility in form of child support and other means. this is enforced in western countries. that's why women can wear whatever clothes they want and there is no sexual repression for women in western countries. they are not made to feel ashamed of their sex. men are held to the same level of responsibility.

There's no law that stops you from seducing, sleeping with and getting pregnant for whichever man you like. Obviously you don't know the effect a woman's body has on a man. Because you are a woman. But since you feminists just want trouble, there is no law that stops you from seducing men.

also there is such thing as condoms, birth control pills, and abortions.

now I love condoms cool , dont like abortions though. It's the killing of unborn babies. I'm sorry but it's illegal to do that in Nigeria. You want feminism, I want human rights. Those unborn babies have the right to life too.

why are girls under pressure to get married? again you use the word girls and men on the same level.
are we still living in a world where 50yr old men marry 15yr old girls?
also, fertility rate and sexism have high correlation just so you know. if you visit a society where women are giving birth to 4-10 kids per woman, the level of sexism and horrible treatment of women will be much higher than societies where average number of kids per woman in around 2 kids (western countries!). that says a LOT.
again there's no law that forces women to get married. Stop worrying about what society expects from you and start worrying about what you want to do with yourself if its not illegal. No law says you must have 20kids. You decide with your husbands. Stop complaining.

can you post that statistic for me to see?
and who told you men "lead" in relationships? behind closed doors, at least 50% of relationships are led by women (all things being equal ex finances) leadership is mostly a personality trait. not a gender trait. Maybe in Africa where women are repressed and forced to act "meek" but if we went by nature, leadership will show in equal rates between men and women. ex. men who show leadership seen as leaders. whereas women who show leadership seen as "bitchy"
again, sexism at play.
Okay, there's no law that says men must lead in a relationship. When you meet your man, you can lead. If it works, hallelujah. The most important thing is what works, not what society expects or what Toshmann says. Quit complaining and start living

again, this is the pro-rapist argument you are making. a man is allowed to sit comfortably while a woman is made to assume contortions that very uncomfortable just to "protect" herself from men.
if urinating upwards is the most comfortable position for a woman to urinate. then YES women should urinate upwards. This is not about women becoming men. but about women gaining basic common sense rights that are withheld from them in sexist societies.
I hope you know there's no law that stops women from urinating upwards. I, Toshmann the great, will love to see women legs up trying to pee upwards grin

true. no one is asking that women become men. just challenging sexism which exists in our society.
may men don't want it. why should they? they are benefiting from the system and they will fight to protect the status quo.
There's no law that establishes all you are complaining about. It's like me complaining that I'm in New York but I want to be in New Jersey. When all I could do was cross the Hudson River. Quit complaining and start living. Emancipate yourself from mental incarceration.

Nothing you complained about is established by any law. Yes, society has expectations. But if you don't like the expectation of the society all you need to do is do your own thing. As a young black man d'you know this society expects me to be a bad person? But I'm not bad and I'm not complaining. All I did was be good, go to school, be a great guy and hammer my girlfriends cool

Why don't you join us to fight for human rights. There issues like racism, domestic violence, equal protection under the law are addressed.

I rest my case. God bless y'all smiley

6 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Matthewbriggs(m): 12:01pm On Jun 28, 2013
Toshmann is making very strong valid argument cheesy. 99cent I can understand the angle you are coming from... the truth is that just like how blacks face discrimination around the world, women are also suppressed but not in most cases by the law but by the SOCIETY, . The irony is that men and WOMEN make up this same society, and in most cases the society is more stronger than the law.

Feminazis your enemy is not men or the law, but the SOCIETY.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 12:15pm On Jun 28, 2013
J12: This Chimamanda is sexy o shocked shocked I hard a proper bòner while watching her gesticulate angry angry

goes to the video to watch,,,,

expected a soft voice

weird accent, swaying from side to side...

unsexy... am out
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 12:21pm On Jun 28, 2013
99cent:

I agree.

types of relationship in rank from healthiest to least healthy.
-marriage between a man and women who are equally educated and treat each other with equal respect
-single parenthood
-benevolent slave master (man who intentionally marries a poorer or disadvantaged woman so he will be able to control her. but may not abuse her severely)
-abusive slave master(the wife beaters etc fall in this category).

and how do you define no 1
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 12:23pm On Jun 28, 2013
fellus no one supports spousal abuse and i will be the first to ferry my daughter out if i suspect she is being physically abused

So leave abuse out of it

Its shuddering that you still belive so much in single parenting

have u spoken to single mothers and know what they go through even in that your western world

fellis:
Not really.
Mind you, I am not against both parents raising kids but when that translates to one parent playing controlling dictator over another or demanding constant submission of their spouse to them or in a situation where any of the parents is suffering abuse, then I would prefer single parenthood. Because environments like that are toxic to kids even if both parents are present.
The source of problems in single parenthood is not necessarily single parenthood itself, but a combination of different problems like economic/financial problems, family instability or lack of skill for parenting duties in the parent. A single parent with adequate resources may provide a stable, nurturing home in which children thrive just as well as those who have 2 parents would work out fine.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 12:34pm On Jun 28, 2013
toshmann:
Why don't you join us to fight for human rights. There issues like racism, domestic violence, equal protection under the law are addressed.

Exactly my points with these feminists... you assume you are in a world of your own and live on the fringes
Same with the gays now who now seem to have more rights than the straight people

One gay can derail a program for 100 straight...
One feminist can derail a program that 100 other women will enjoy... all in the name of equality

They sponsor dodgy researchers to justify that a child raised in a single home is as a good as one raised in a double parent home yet forget about the feral youth menace plaging this communities where breakdown of the family structure has led to the loss of 'community'

Yes in some cases, there is no difference at the best of it but the worst of it is where it matters and where society suffers
Because a single mum is usually someone in her teens and suffers educationally, she is able to earn less and thus cannot provide for that child
If it is a girl, the same cycle is perpetuated

i dont know why they hate marriage so much

Marriage is not perfect.. we know so are humans

Now these people are blaming men for menopause

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22886668

Men 'to blame for the menopause'

Hot flushes, night sweats, mood swings - menopause and its side effects can all be blamed on men, experts suggest.

Evolutionary geneticists from Canada's McMaster University say men's tendency to choose younger mates meant fertility became pointless for older women.

In PLOS Computational Biology, they say this eventually led to the menopause.

But a UK expert said that was the "wrong way round" and men chose younger women because older women were less fertile.

'Preferential mating'

Researchers have long been puzzled as to why it appears that human are the only species where females cannot reproduce throughout their lives.

Previous theories had proposed a "grandmother effect". This suggests that women lose their fertility at an age where they might not live to see a child grow, and instead are available to care for younger women's children.

The menopause was therefore seen as the block to older women from continuing to reproduce.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:11am On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:
Girl is this a problem for ya? I'm ready to call you whatever you want to be called. Choose one;
Girl
Old woman
Biatch
Witch grin
Etc: I promise to call you whatever you want.

Next pls

After reading this, I did not bother to read the rest of the post. what a di[size=1pt].[/size]ck.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:24am On Jun 29, 2013
biolabee:
Same with the gays now who now seem to have more rights than the straight people

Most senseless and insipid post of the year goes to biolabee.

so you are scared that gay people will have more rights than you. scared that women will have more rights than you. that's why you are ok with gay people and women being discriminated against and maltreated by society. because you only care about yourself and want to maintain your power and privilege over others. you don't want other groups to enjoy the same privileges. that's good. but at the end of the day, the feminists and gay rights activists are also fighting for themselves. and hopefully, they are winning!
I wonder why you aren't fighting for men's rights then? people fight when they have something to fight for. clearly you are in a very comfortable position right now.

have you ever heard of the KKK? formed by poor whites who were scared that blacks will gain more rights than them. so they went about terrorizing blacks for the greater part of the 19th and 20th century.

at the end of the day. No one cares of your opinion. as long as government will grant rights and PROTECT those rights, your opinion is moot. hate all u want. changing the laws and enforcing those laws is the goal.

look at these whites who did not want blacks to attend school with them. they want to beat her up. but they can't because the soldiers are standing in the corner. the law had been changed to allow blacks to attend "white" schools. federal troops were sent in to enforce the law. does that mean that blacks wanted to be white? NO. they just wanted to enjoy the same rights of quality education. This is after blacks fought successfully to desegregate American schools.

little rock nine
[img]http://filipspagnoli.files./2009/06/little-rock-nine.jpeg?w=550&h=414[/img]

we will see images like these shortly in front of churches and wedding sites. homophobic vampires will stand in front of buildings trying to prevent gays from engaging in civic marriage. the federal troops will be there to enforce the law that now allows gay marriage in many american states. thank GOD.

4 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:56am On Jun 29, 2013
biolabee:
They sponsor dodgy researchers to justify that a child raised in a single home is as a child raised in a double parent home
Please provide proof of this your statement in your next post

Yes in some cases, there is no difference at the best of it but the worst of it is where it matters and where society suffers
Because a single mum is usually someone in her teens and suffers educationally, she is able to earn less and thus cannot provide for that child
If it is a girl, the same cycle is perpetuated
The mootness of this point is killing me.
Infact I almost didn't resond to it but then it occurred to me that maybe you actually believe that what you typed above is valid and sensible so that makes my responding necessary.
Firstly, I never advocated single parenthood in teenage mothers or in mothers that are poorly educated. In my last post on this thread, I said if the single parent has inadequate parenting skill or financial problems then it is not advisable for them to raise the child alone so I don't know why you are bringing up the issue of teenage mothers or poorly educated mothers. Secondly, if a child is raised by a single parent with good parenting skills then there is little to no chance that the child will end up as a teenage parent. That cycle of single parenthood you spoke of anly happens when the child is raised in a toxic environment.

biolabee:
Now these people are blaming men for menopause
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22886668
Look, I know you have a vendetta against feminists but for god's sake have some integrity when you are fighting against them. I told you before that that research was not conducted by feminists yet you still go about on nairaland posing it and claiming that feminists are behind it.

2 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:01am On Jun 29, 2013
biolabee:

and how do you define no 1

it is stated very obviously there.
look at the president of the USA for example. he respects his wife as an equal and believes in women rights.
same with more and more white american males.
In fact, marriage rate is starting to go up among educated whites. the more educated a woman is, the higher her chances are of finding a marriage partner. white males have changed their sexist attitude to a large extent. obviously they put away their ego and pride and started to face reality. the laws have something to do with it too. when government enforces laws, people can hate all they want but they can't hurt.

from personal experience, an older white couple I am friends with just bought a house worth over half a million dollars. it doesn't look flashy but in an extremely nice neighborhood with good schools. both partners spend almost equal amount of time cooking in the kitchen. sometimes they do it together. they both work and have good salaries. they are not mega rich but their incomes combined becomes a lot. I stayed with them for a few months so I see their family dynamics. they are very much equal partners. they have built their wealth that way as partners.

60 yrs ago, most white men picked "ability to cook and clean" or "good looks" as the best quality in a wife. as if the are screening for housemaids.
today, men are choosing "intelligence" and "education" because duh it is now more of a partnership. it makes the family stronger. esp now since there is a recession going on. people are looking at what matters most. rather than pride and ego.

those of you making mouth, i'm sure u will probably not want a stay at home wife. even if you feel you do, when reality hits, and ur income cannot sustain the family, u will prod your wife to go to work. then she will also become more assertive with her financial independence, then what will you do? either you accept her as an equal partner or ur marriage will go to the rocks.

so, feminism didn't destroy marriage. attitudes did. and once those attitudes started to change, marriage rates started going up again among the same groups.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:12am On Jun 29, 2013
biolabee: fellus no one supports spousal abuse and i will be the first to ferry my daughter out if i suspect she is being physically abused
So leave abuse out of it

@bold, are you kidding me?

Its shuddering that you still belive so much in single parenting
have u spoken to single mothers and know what they go through even in that your western world

Have you spoken to gay people to know what they go through in the western world? Or why are you against gay marriage?
I have a brain and I can figure things out. I don't have to go about asking single mothers how they fare to understand single parenthood.
Biolabee, the reason why you are against single parenthood is because marriage in africa typically favours the men. You men are expected to have the upper hand and the last say and your partners are supposed to submit to you will, so why would you oppose such an arrangement? Plus, everyone in the family comes under and starts bearing your name and your wife discards her former identity and takes up your surname, all her children also take YOUR surname; so seriously, why would men go against it?
In africa married men are given license to cheat like no man's business and many wives believe that they should be forgiven no matter how many times their husband cheats or even beats them up so why the hell will you find anything wrong in marriage when everything about it is favouring you as a male?
Like I said before, I am not advocating abolishing marriages or putting an end to it. I just think there are situations where single parenthood is preferred. Most people will never support single parenthood under any circumstances but not me. Single parenthood can turn out to be better for a child than when both parents are present. Not all kids raised by single parents end up messed up, the president of the U.S.A was raised by only his mum and he turned out alright.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:36am On Jun 29, 2013
fellis:
the president of the U.S.A was raised by only his mum and he turned out alright.

Actually he was raised by his grandparents.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:56am On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

Actually he was raised by his grandparents.

he was raised by a single parent with help from grandparents.
this can also be said for majority of so called kids raised in "single parent" households. it is all made possible sometimes with help from grandparents, uncles, aunts etc.

2 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 10:18am On Jun 29, 2013
I will respond to you since you seem to be a more rational fellow than your fellow rabid cohort 99cent who calls dissenting posts senseless.

Now let me take the points one by one

I dont support single parenthood where there is an option for children to be raised in balanced, two parent households
The fact that there are aberrations in certain cases and single parenting is preferred (abuse, death, serial cheating) will not and never serial parenting to be better than marriage

on the gays, I have no issue with anyone's sexual preferences as long as it does not affect my life
What i meant is the sickening political correctness whereby TV shows now have to have a gay character to be 'inclusive' eg Spartacus (agron and Nasir), it is not necessary to the plot or Hollywoods shows now have the token gay character just the token black character some years back
Or when if one gay is insulted, he sees the insult as linked to his gayness rather than just a normal insult which any other person will take

On the issue of women taking names, it is not compulsory and that is why u see compound names more and more

On the issue of cheating, that my dear lady has nothing to do with Afrika, if it did, Arnold who is a caucasian will not cheat
Tiger woods who is an american will not cheat

If your issue is spousal settlement which exists legally in Nigeria but is not being enforced, then let us deal with that but dont come to NL and smear us males with notions or fantasies of cheating when this is a global attribute

If my sister is assaulted by her man, i will be the first person to bring her out of that house
So I am not a marriage to the death kinda person

However the rate at which you or your ilk condemn marriage and make it anachronistic is what i have an issue with

Society is crumbling because the family has been relegated to the background

fellis:

@bold, are you kidding me?

Have you spoken to gay people to know what they go through in the western world? Or why are you against gay marriage?
I have a brain and I can figure things out. I don't have to go about asking single mothers how they fare to understand single parenthood.
Biolabee, the reason why you are against single parenthood is because marriage in africa typically favours the men. You men are expected to have the upper hand and the last say and your partners are supposed to submit to you will, so why would you oppose such an arrangement? Plus, everyone in the family comes under and starts bearing your name and your wife discards her former identity and takes up your surname, all her children also take YOUR surname; so seriously, why would men go against it?
In africa married men are given license to cheat like no man's business and many wives believe that they should be forgiven no matter how many times their husband cheats or even beats them up so why the hell will you find anything wrong in marriage when everything about it is favouring you as a male?
Like I said before, I am not advocating abolishing marriages or putting an end to it. I just think there are situations where single parenthood is preferred. Most people will never support single parenthood under any circumstances but not me. Single parenthood can turn out to be better for a child than when both parents are present. Not all kids raised by single parents end up messed up, the president of the U.S.A was raised by only his mum and he turned out alright.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 10:33am On Jun 29, 2013
If obama is such a poster boy for single-parent hordes and the success of it, why is he married and raising his daughters in a 2 parent household

He sure must wish in his heart to right this dysfunction

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1154724_image002_jpgf6fa556f6a759f3fd573282b521e9f7b[/img]

In all but 11 states, most black children do not live with both their parents while across every state, seven out of ten white children do.

'Something has to be done about it, and it starts with the culture and reversing the attitude that marriage is not important. The president has a role to play in that. He’s a married African-American father who can probably make a huge difference with words alone,' said Mr. DiCaro.
The U.S. Census has indicated that there are now one in three children across the U.S. who live with one parent families
The decline in two parent families has also disproportionately hit the South, which has long been a bastion for traditional family values.

Even in places where the percentage of the black population declined, single parenthood increased.

In South Carolina, where the black share of the population fell by 2 percent, single parenthood rose by 5 percent. In Kentucky and Louisiana, where the black population was constant, single parenthood increased 6 percentage points according to the Washington Times.

'In places you’d think values are at least talked about, they are not lived out necessarily. Education and income seem to trump them,' said Mr. DiCaro.

'The people who might not be preaching family values, like coastal upper-class communities, those are the people who are waiting to get married.'

The largest contiguous area of sustained fatherlessness is in the largely black poor across Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana running along the Mississippi River from Memphis, Tennessee.

'When you have very little going for you in your life, having children can give purpose to it. If you’re married, you’re going to be much more cautious. There’s health care costs and our jobs, whereas if we were both just kind of doing whatever, then why not just have another kid?' said Mr. DiCaro.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2253421/1-3-US-children-live-father-according-census-number-parent-households-decreases-1-2-million.html#ixzz2WCdocFDA
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 10:43am On Jun 29, 2013
Domestic violence is against the law
despoil is against the law
Equal pay for women is now the status in US
Gender discrimination is against the law.

I honestly have no idea what feminists beef about. They have as much rights as any other person. If society or culture kinda doesn't like your ways, guess what, the law cannot force somebody to like you or have better expectations of you.

Abortion right is unacceptable. Bc we are not only taking about a woman's body, we are also taking about the right to life of the fetus. I'm sorry. It's not always about you only.

The worst thing about feminists is that many of them go about their campaign with so much rancor, bitterness and accusing nature that makes I seem they are looking for enemies.

As if that is not enough, their leaders at the forefront of the fight for feminism are either single or have faulty marital status. This doesn't help their course.

And before someone begins a feminist assault on my humble self grin , my opinion is my opinion and doesn't prevent you from living your life. The law protects you regardless of my opinion so quit complaining and start living.

Remember, there is no law against being a single parent. If that's what you want, go ahead and stop complaining.

5 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 10:46am On Jun 29, 2013
As much as I'm against homosexuality and lesbianism, I do not agree that gay struggle is the same as feminist struggles. In the case of gays, there is a law banning them from getting married and receiving the benefits.
There was also a law stopping them from joining the military.

I think these laws have been reversed by the US govt.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 10:47am On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann: The worst thing about feminists is that many of them go about their campaign with so much [size=14pt]rancor, bitterness and accusing nature [/size]that makes I seem they are looking for enemies.

Frankly this is what i dont get, quick to insult others,
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Matthewbriggs(m): 10:51am On Jun 29, 2013
Strong feminist argument I have heard in while with few cursing or swearing. I for one detest feminist i call them feminazis sometime, not because of what they are fighting, but the way they ones i have encountered are fighting it.

Truth be told, I can never understand what its like to to be a woman in a male dominated world, but I can understand what it's like to be in a white dominated world, where your face discrimination because of being black and African.
That's why I can relate to some extent plight of the female gender.

Moreover after seeing all this heated conversation on line. I look at the world around me, and the irony is that majority of women due to the constraints of nature and their outlook towards life and each other, are their own undoing.

1. I have this notion that MAJORITY of women out there want to enjoy the benefits of gender equality but few are willing to bear the burden and responsibility that comes with it. Very few women are willing to work hard and build their fortune,they love to seek the easy way out and prefer to be dependant on men. Very few women would love to be in a relationship were they are seen as lead providers and will not even consider dating or marry someone of a lower class. Eg. Every now and then women hit on me, mainly because of the percieved security they believe I will bring them, seeing me as a ladder to go up in class, instead of working their arse of, this specie of women make 80% of the women gender. How do they expect to be taking seriously.

2. Women psychologically are tied to men, they look up to men for the definition of beauty and fulfilment of some crucial desires. They display this trait by going to bizarre extra miles to feel beautiful not for them self but for men. Their self esteem been tied to something that depreciates with time. The sad part is they can't help it because that's what by default we men are wired to appreciate, just like by default women appreciate some who will give them a sense of security (financial and emotional). They feel incomplete and desperate when they are at their prime and are yet to married. This dependence caused by nature, puts them in a disadvantaged position.

3. A trend I have discovered lately is that majority of women have a twisted sense of gender equality they see it as been synonymous to bitchy, stubborn, aggressive, overbearing controlling, and domineering.
They tend to see every contact with men as a battle for superiority, they can go to any length to try to prove an unnecessary point, just to prove that they are strong and equal to men. Most of them don't even know what they are fighting for, they sometimes approach this fight with pent up anger caused by their past faulty and shaky relationship with men.
Therefore, such women are rarely taking seriously in the society, especially by their male counterparts.

In summary, I believe in equal rights, but I think one of the real problem facing gender equality is not just the society, men or the law, but women them self, their psychological make up and the way they handle the rights they've gotten so far.

3 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 10:54am On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann: As much as I'm against homosexuality and lesbianism, I do not agree that gay struggle is the same as feminist struggles. In the case of gays, there is a law banning them from getting married and receiving the benefits.
There was also a law stopping them from joining the military.

I think these laws have been reversed by the US govt.

The ban on gay mariage has been reversed

Why i raised the issue on gay rights is because of political correctness around gay issues
they are now consoled, companies have a gay right monitor to sniff around for this or that, soldiers coming out back from duty prepare a press conference to show one gay kiss

Its just funny
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 11:06am On Jun 29, 2013
biolabee:

Frankly this is what i dont get, quick to insult others,

You know I didn't mention anybody's name there. undecided
But obviously many women go about feminism in such manners, not all of them, but many of them. Look through my post and find out where I insulted anybody. If you do, I will apologize.

But someone (name withheld) has called me a dick grin. And I didn't notice you pointing that out for criticism, how can I ask a feminist to apologize to me? cheesy perhaps the person will say its gender discrimination. grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 11:12am On Jun 29, 2013
biolabee: If obama is such a poster boy for single-parent hordes and the success of it, why is he married and raising his daughters in a 2 parent household

He sure must wish in his heart to right this dysfunction

I don't believe that any rational person can debate the fact that having both parents is better than single parent homes

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 1:06pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:

I don't believe that any rational person can debate the fact that having both parents is better than single parent homes

their gall surprises me....making the abnormal normal

toshmann:

But obviously many women go about feminism in such manners, not all of them, but many of them. Look through my post and find out where I insulted anybody. If you do, I will apologize.

But someone (name withheld) has called me a dick grin. And I didn't notice you pointing that out for criticism, how can I ask a feminist to apologize to me? cheesy perhaps the person will say its gender discrimination. grin

haha.. one of them called my post insipid
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 5:52pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann: Domestic violence is against the law
despoil is against the law
Equal pay for women is now the status in US
Gender discrimination is against the law.

how do you think those law came to pass?
do you think men just woke up and decided to pass those laws?
plz don't be dumb and clueless. those things u listed up there were due to feminists who fought to change those laws.
there are women (feminists) working to make sure of gender equality.

until people's misogynist minds and attitudes change, the fight is not over. even if the law changes, groups have to be on their guard to protect the law. duh. otherwise, people will find loopholes around the law. so it is important to be vigilant

remember slavery was abolished in 1850 by law. yet because whites still had racist mentality, they imposed something new to replace it: jim crow laws. and then when jim crow laws were abolished in the 60s, there still yet are new mechanisms used to replace it: mass incarceration of blacks males etc.
people will tell you that racism is over in the same breath that they will tell you gender discrimination is over.
let me ask you: do you believe that racism is over?

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 6:03pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:

grin
you 'indirectly' called someone a b*itch, w*itch
and u get angry that that someone (name whitheld) called you a d*ick.
hahahaha what a clown

-----

on a more important note:
victory for women in America this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-HD47tUg0g
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/opinion/collins-wendy-and-the-boys.html?_r=0
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 6:21pm On Jun 29, 2013
more about senator wendy davis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZeKVOdADh4

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (42) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Shekau Appears In New Video, Says ‘I Am Alive’ / Saraki Meets Innocent Chukwuma Of InnosonMotors (Photos) / ''I Carry Bible Bullets To Fight APC'' - Fayose Blows As PDP Govs Dump Sheriff

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.