Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (41961 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 11:36pm On Jun 29, 2013
I.Joan:

I don't understand why you keep calling them 'misogynists' I went through all of their posts and I didn't any word that expresses any hatred for the womenfolk!

Welcome!!
She has not been able to have an issues based discussion since

fellis:

Abeg go and sit down jor, you've dissapointed me.

If I had done something like this you men will be on my neck and you be saying feminists are confused liars that falsify information because they have nothing to fight for.
I can't believe you can do something as shameful as this and not be apologetic or remorseful.

Researchers are funded by groups and are sympathetic to their sponsors
20 years.. mark my words
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

you know female misogynists exist as well right?
there is a book called uncle tom's cabin that told of the story of a black slave who was so loyal to his master as to be willing to lay his life down.

For real? ? ? ?

So, anyone who is not a feminist is a misogynist? ? ?
You seem lonely... Get a dog!

2 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 11:38pm On Jun 29, 2013
I.Joan:

For real? ? ? ?

Lol grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 11:38pm On Jun 29, 2013
Tragic......female misogynist? !

WTF!!

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jun 29, 2013
I.Joan:

For real? ? ? ?

my sister, i tire for am. I suppose she thinks being a single mom is the new word for "success" where females are concerned. I wouldnt suggest a dog though, she just might kick it. grin

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:38pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

Absolutely untrue. Even amoeba responds to stimulus.

those that cannot tell the difference between a fetus and a baby are as clueless as heck.
besides, why are men so up in arms about women's womb. why do you desire so much control over the woman's body. maybe we should also start referring to sperm as babies. maybe that's why the catholic church banned condom use for so long grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Oahray: 11:39pm On Jun 29, 2013
I.Joan:

For real? ? ? ?

lmao! grin

So good to find something funny here cheesy
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:40pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

my sister, i tire for am. I suppose she thinks being a single mom is the new word for "success" where females are concerned. I wouldnt suggest a dog though, she just might kick it. grin

chimamanda is a married woman lest u forget
and besides there are single mothers in the republican party who are anti-feminist. although I will assume that their number is low considering that no person in their right mind will side with their oppressor.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by ckkris: 11:41pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:

Lets take the Jesus example.
A) Jesus hates sin. Right? But Jesus loved sinners that he died for them.

I don't like homosexuality.

Neither do I support the Nigerian law that wants them locked up for 14yrs.
99.5% of Nigerians support more than 14 years jail for any man wey abandon our sweet and delicious babes go de carry fellow man.
And African women generally don't have time for liberated feminists. Africa man de enjoy that one pass oyinbo them.
I am surprised that a whole you, the grandson of elewe ukwu, has time to argue with women that are no longer women. Our African babes won't take it from you. They have the correct features of womanness, the temperament, and the spirit.
Those that are no longer women please tell me what they have become. FRUSTRATED?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 11:41pm On Jun 29, 2013
Oahray: lmao! grin

So good to find something funny here cheesy
Abi o, it's been heated argument and vituperation for pages on end
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:
Depending on the mother for complete survival doesn't mean it's part of the mothers body. It's not. It's a separate individual with its own body systems. Their blood don't mix. Their DNA sample is different.

So is cancer. It also has different DNA.
The fetus is physically and biologically connected to the mother with her own blood and food circulating through it. If you swallow a tablet full of DNA that is different than yours it won't mean there's another human inside of your stomach now.
If you catch a flu, will you not take medicine to essenitally kill it? After all, the virus has different DNA.
What about roundworms which are parasites living inside your body? They have different DNA and living systems too

I believe both are terrible situations. But I believe human life is sacrosanct. I also believe that there is a possibility that a woman may find some peace even after a rappe child is born.
better than loosing his life. He may also be adopted by a family and grow up in a home. There are many possibilities. I know the odds are bad but I STRONGLY believe it is better than being killed.

All these things are nothing but your personal convictions, they don't hold water.

Anybody that cares smiley
What's the weather like in Utopia?

We can at least try. We live in a harsh world but we must not fail to try. Nobody is sure of anything.
What makes one sure that the girl/man he/she married will be a nice partner
What makes one sure that the career one chose will work out fine
What makes one sure that things will work out fine in the college one chose to go
We can go on and on
We are not sure of anything but the possibilty of the child getting an excellent upbringing is definitely lower than the possibility of their having a rough life in future. Children who are given up for adoption or put in motherless babies homes (especially in nigeria), more often than not, have poor upbringing and they usually live a life of lack.
Some people even look for such children to use for their disgusting fetish rituals.
I would rather women had abortions than brought unwanted children into the world to be abused and neglected.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

those that cannot tell the difference between a fetus and a baby are as clueless as heck.
besides, why are men so up in arms about women's womb. why do you desire so much control over the woman's body. maybe we should also start referring to sperm as babies. maybe that's why the catholic church banned condom use for so long grin

Again you seem to be jumping as if you are sitting on needles. I said amoeba can respond to stimulus... a 3 week-old baby is a ball of cells and living cells DO respond to stimulus... what has that to do with differentiating between a fetus and a baby?

The baby is simply the term given to a fetus AFTER birth.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 11:45pm On Jun 29, 2013
ckkris: 99.5% of Nigerians support more than 14 years jail for any man wey abandon our sweet and delicious babes go de carry fellow man.
And African women generally don't have time for liberated feminists. Africa man de enjoy that one pass oyinbo them.
I am surprised that a whole you, the grandson of elewe ukwu, has time to argue with women that are no longer women. Our African babes won't take it from you. They have the correct features of womanness, the temperament, and the spirit.
Those that are no longer women please tell me what they have become. FRUSTRATED?

Somebody here knows me o cheesy

My brother I'm idle and stuck in my hotel room in New York, I have an early morning flight tomorow back to Ohio so I decided to relax this evening and pass time online instead of stepping out to find free babes around to come rub my back grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jun 29, 2013
biolabee:
Researchers are funded by groups and are sympathetic to their sponsors
20 years.. mark my words

Abeg gerrout and stop disturbing me jor.

Proof you will not bring, you keep insisting that they are sympathetic and in 20 years time yada yada yada.

Gerrout.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:46pm On Jun 29, 2013
I.Joan:

For real? ? ? ?

anybody who hates women's rights is a misogynist.
you can be a non-feminist or indifferent feminism/women's rights.
but if you call yourself an anti-feminist and hate women's rights. then YES you are misogynist.

I hope you did not vote in the last election because without feminists u definitely wouldn't be able to.
if getting a dog is the worst vitriol u can use, then you FAIL. i've been called much worse than that as a feminist. try again.

and i'm not even going to ask you if you have read any of chimamada's book or if you read any books at all.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Oahray: 11:46pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:
Abi o, it's been heated argument and vituperation for pages on end
*pretending to know what the vitu-something word is* grin
as in eh,.. Too lazy to even read through all previous pages to be in sync with the argument.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jun 29, 2013
fellis:

huh? Who is this? shocked cheesy
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by druid06(m): 11:46pm On Jun 29, 2013
I think I found this thread too late but I'ld give my little knowledge on this matter all thesame. I had no time watching the video by this Adichie and so I'm not totally sure about what her views on this matter are. From the little I know about feminism and the information I've gathered through through the internet and via wikipedia, I can say I don't know what's the scuffle and shuffle on this thread is all about.

Deducting from wiki - Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.

So from this definition, I don't know what's the shout and cry for blue murder is?. Women in today's society are enjoying equal rights same as men. There are thousands of female C.E.O of giant companies all over the world. Women hold great political post virtually everywhere in the world even some had ruled nations. The current president of Brazil is a woman, we had a female governor in the U.S, holding senate post. Even in Nigeria, career women are doing just fine in whatever fields they find themselves in and most rise into the peak of their careers. There's also the queen of England who wields so much power.

I just think it's pathetic of some group of people out there especially women claiming to be feminist who are just trying to twist/suit this feminist idealogy to the society into favoring them more than men. The society of today especially in the western world has totally accepted and embarked on this feminist idea and so I am not sure what is their foul cry about.

I think the only places in the world where this idea hasn't been totally welcomed and accepted is some part in Africa and the whole of the Arabia nation. Those feminist should take their views and idealogy into those afforementioned places and stop constituting mayhem and destroying what feminism stands for.. Good night!
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:50pm On Jun 29, 2013
druid06: Women in today's society are enjoying equal rights same as men. There are thousands of female C.E.O of giant companies all over the world. Women hold great political post virtually everywhere in the world even some had ruled nations.

name just 80 out of the thousands of female C.E.Os of giant companies all over the world that you talk about.
list to me the great political posts of women all over the world as compared to men.
until then, you should go to sleep.

might as well proclaim that racism is dead because obama is president.
another lame argument.

2 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

huh? Who is this? shocked cheesy

Yes? Did I say something wrong?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:52pm On Jun 29, 2013
fellis:

Abeg gerrout and stop disturbing me jor.

Proof you will not bring, you keep insisting that they are sympathetic and in 20 years time yada yada yada.

Gerrout.

LOL grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 11:54pm On Jun 29, 2013
fellis:

The fetus is physically and biologically connected to the mother with her own blood and food circulating through it. If you swallow a tablet full of DNA that is different than yours it won't mean there's another human inside of your stomach now.
If you catch a flu, will you not take medicine to essenitally kill it? After all, the virus has different DNA.
What about roundworms which are parasites living inside your body? They have different DNA and living systems too

Okay, now you compare a healthy God made fetus to cancer! Viruses! And Parasites!
Ebelebe! grin

What's the weather like in Utopia?

Kinda cloudy smiley

Seriously anyone who cares could donate to orphanages and life in some orphanages are better than life in some hoods or some african or 3rd world countries.

We are not sure of anything but the possibilty of the child getting an excellent upbringing is definitely lower than the possibility of their having a rough life in future. Children who are given up for adoption or put in motherless babies homes (especially in nigeria), more often than not, have poor upbringing and they usually live a life of lack.
Some people even look for such children to use for their disgusting fetish rituals.
I would rather women had abortions than brought unwanted children into the world to be abused and neglected.
You can't use pessimism as an excuse for murder. I appreciate that it's a difficult situation but ill take it instead of aborting the baby.

Like I said, the keyword is PREVENTION!!!
But if I emphasize that now, feminists would say I'm being unfair to women. If I'm a woman( thank God I'm not) but if I were a woman, I would take measures to prevent unwanted pregnancy. Fact is, if you do the right thing, there's a 99% chance that you will NOT get pregnant when you don't want it.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jun 29, 2013
fellis:

Yes? Did I say something wrong?

Cancer has a different DNA from the carrier? cheesy cheesy cheesy Ori mi o! I don hear am.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

LOL grin

Lolz, I tire for the guy. Instead of him to admit defeat he is still quoting me up and down on the thread
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jun 29, 2013
davidylan:

Cancer has a different DNA from the carrier? cheesy cheesy cheesy Ori mi o! I don hear am.

Does it not have mutated DNA that is different from the carrier?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Oahray: 11:57pm On Jun 29, 2013
Time to derail this thread angry
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:58pm On Jun 29, 2013
toshmann:

you keep mentioning prevention as if u are trying to say something but ashamed to say. say what is on your mind. what do you mean by "prevention"
who should prevent rap.e? the ra.ped woman?
say it loud and proud what you mean by "PREVENTION" blame the woman outfront rather than trying to use lame codes.

again, refer to the republican rap.e advisory list.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jun 29, 2013
fellis:

Does it not have mutated DNA that is different from the carrier?

Mutations that cause cancer are mostly a very very very tiny part of the genome. If you ran a DNA fingerprint, it would still have the same profile as the carrier. That is why cancer cells taken from patients from way way back used to be labelled after the owner. Henrietta Lacks is a good example.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by druid06(m): 11:59pm On Jun 29, 2013
99cent:

name just 80 out of the thousands of female C.E.Os of giant companies all over the world that you talk about.
list to me the great political posts of women all over the world as compared to men.
until then, you should go to sleep.

might as well proclaim that racism is dead because obama is president.
another lame argument.

Well, me saying thousands of women are currently holding the position of C.E.O's of great companies is an exaggeration on my side and I am sorry for that wrong thesis but what we can both agree on is that like men, women too rise into the peak of their respective careers..

As for political posts, I think each and everyone holding a significant post in the world including men got there by winning more votes. Are you saying elections should be cancelled and redone just because more women are not holding these political posts?. I don't get you.

So your basic point is women should be favored more in todays society? That's totally opposite of what feminism stands for.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:00am On Jun 30, 2013
toshmann:
Okay, now you compare a healthy God made fetus to cancer! Viruses! And Parasites!
Ebelebe! grin

So the parasites were not made by god too abi why should they be killed?

Kinda cloudy smiley
Seriously anyone who cares could donate to orphanages and life in some orphanages are better than life in some hoods or some african or 3rd world countries.

Yes,
indeed,
we all know how very philanthropic and generous majority of humans are.

You can't use pessimism as an excuse for murder. I appreciate that it's a difficult situation but ill take it instead of aborting the baby.

You cannot use idealistic assumptions as an excuse for bringing a child to the world to suffer abuse and neglect.

But if I emphasize that now, feminists would say I'm being unfair to women. If I'm a woman( thank God I'm not) but if I were a woman, I would take measures to prevent unwanted pregnancy. Fact is, if you do the right thing, there's a 99% chance that you will NOT get pregnant when you don't want it.
Look, all these things are not important. What is important is what we decide to do after the woman gets pregnant. There is no need to start talking about how prevention is better than cure or how women should do the right thing and avoid lonely dark alleys at night.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:01am On Jun 30, 2013
Oahray: Time to derail this thread angry

Please don't do that. Thanks
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:03am On Jun 30, 2013
druid06:
I think the only places in the world where this idea hasn't been totally welcomed and accepted is some part in Africa and the whole of the Arabia nation. Those feminist should take their views and idealogy into those afforementioned places and stop constituting mayhem and destroying what feminism stands for.. Good night!

what do you suppose feminism stands for?
last time I checked, the women who made USA what it is were hated and mocked. the women who are fighting to keep USA what it is are also hated (by misogynists) and mocked.

even your so-called idea of what feminism stand for: I-Joan, has come out to confess that she is NOT a feminist.
you did not create feminism. women did. so who gives u d right to define it for us?

stop trying to redefine feminism to fit your misogynist mindframe. God forbid feminists lay dormant today, USA will become arabia and africa tomorrow.

i'm glad though that you admit that africa and middle east need A LOT of feminist work.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (42) (Reply)

Ahmed Magaji Or Yekini Amoda Ogunlere Which Is Bola Tinubu's Real Name? / Marylin Ogar Redeployed To Borno Command Center / Osinbajo, Obasanjo, Ekwueme, Diya, Gowon, Ukiwe Form Choir. Sing For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.