Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,630 members, 7,813,087 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:46 AM

Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London (21410 Views)

Oba Of Lagos Akiolu In The Streets Of London Holding Bread (Photos) / Nigerian Born Kate Anolue, Is The New Mayor Of Enfield, London / How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 10:54pm On May 04, 2013
They have been assimilated a la turned "white" time ago...

They don't exist except in books about black history in the UK!! grin
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Obiagu1(m): 11:12pm On May 04, 2013
Afam4eva: I understand that every black person domiciled in Britain is refered to as a Black Briton. But what of those that were taken as slaved(like African Americans) and never returned. Were Naomi campbell's family for example emigrate to Britain voluntarily or they were taken as slaves.

I think marrying whites and marrying whites all over again turned them to whites with little black gene left in them.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 11:41pm On May 04, 2013
Yo, who on here is a boxing fan/enthusiast?

Come over to the sports section and let's talk about the Mayweather fight tonight...

Gatts see the king back in the ring!!
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by RealMccoy2(m): 3:23am On May 05, 2013
shymexx: Yo, who on here is a boxing fan/enthusiast?

Come over to the sports section and let's talk about the Mayweather fight tonight...

Gatts see the king back in the ring!!
I am on team money weather.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 5:46am On May 05, 2013
shymexx: They have been assimilated a la turned "white" time ago...

They don't exist except in books about black history in the UK!! grin

Assimilation rather than 'unworkable' integration has long been regarded as the safest route to achieving success in Britain. Few would admit to the existence of this unspoken rule publicly, even though its widespread acceptance is evident wherever you look. The following article lends some credence to this point, I think.

Hidden black ancestry linked to rise in sickle cell blood disorder

Increasing numbers of white babies are born each year carrying the sickle cell anaemia trait because of hidden black ancestry, according to a leading geneticist.

Increasing numbers of white babies are born each year carrying the sickle cell anaemia trait because of hidden black ancestry, according to a leading geneticist.

Extrapolating from 16th century census data, Dr Steve Jones, of University College London, has calculated that one in five Britons, 11 million people, have a black ancestor. People who think of themselves as white but have the sickle cell trait almost certainly had a black ancestor, he said.

Sickle cell anaemia is an inherited blood disorder that causes anaemia and chronic pain. People who inherit the disorder have two copies of the sickle cell gene, one from each parent. If both parents are carriers, having just one copy each, there is a one in four chance of the child picking up two copies of the gene. Those who carry just one copy have the sickle cell trait but have no symptoms and have the advantage of being protected against malaria.

One in four people in West Africa carry a copy of the gene, as do one in 10 Afro-Caribbeans. It is very rare in white Caucasians. In Britain, 12,000 people have the disorder.

"When people moved out of West Africa, the sickle cell gene moved with them. As a result there are probably hundreds of thousands of people who think of themselves as white and indeed have white skins, who are carriers of the sickle cell gene. So there is an increased prevalence of the gene," Dr Jones said.

Claire Thompson, health education officer for the Sickle Cell Society, said: "The increasing number of mixed race relationships means that the disorder is moving across into the white population, who do not know they are carriers. This is leading to an increased prevalence of both carriers and people suffering from the disorder." Ms Thompson said there was no national screening programme. "It has been seen as a black issue but increasingly white people are carriers."

A white mother and daughter from Liverpool, Valerie Pollard and Jayne Prior, found that they carry the trait after Mrs Prior, a 35-year-old trainee accountant living in Brighton, received a letter from the National Blood Transfusion Service saying that they had tested her donated blood and found the sickle cell trait.

"The first thing I did when I found out was telephone my mother, she went to get tested and was also found to be a carrier," said Mrs Prior.

The pair, who appear in the Channel 4 series Britain's Slave Trade tomorrow, have traced their ancestry back to a Jamaican sailor who settled in Liverpool in the 18th century.

Mrs Prior said: "Thinking there might be that history in our own family suddenly makes you think about it [the slave trade] more and how it's had a knock-on effect to a lot more people than they probably realise or want to realise."

What is sickle cell anaemia?

Sickle cell anaemia is an inherited blood disorder characterised by chronic anaemia and periodic pain, plus the risk of stroke and heart attack. The underlying problem is that one component of the red blood cells, haemoglobin - which carries oxygen - is defective. This results in the usually doughnut-shaped cells becoming sickle-shaped. These are unable to squeeze through small blood vessels, causing blockages that deprive organs and tissues of blood.

Source
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 6:00am On May 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
Wow! He looks totally white. How's it even possible. This was how i felt when i was told 7 years ago that Maria Carey was black with an Irish mother. I didn't see anything black about her then.

This dude's grandfather is Black, yet you will note he looks unquestionably Caucasian.

Dane Bowers Gets Community Service For Brawl

The singer must carry out 120 hours of unpaid work for the community after admitting to common assault and threatening behaviour.

Ex-Big Brother star Dane Bowers has been ordered to undertake community service after admitting common assault during a drunken night out.

Norwich Crown Court heard how Bowers led a group of men in a violent confrontation against another group, including two black men, outside a nightclub in the city on June 2.

During the attack, the 33-year-old former partner of glamour model Katie Price grabbed a man by the neck and "shook him around", the court heard.

Witnesses said they heard Bowers shouting racist language, but when challenged he told them: "Don't accuse me of being racist, my father's black."

When arrested Bowers told police that he was "eight out of 10 drunk" with 10 being a state of total drunkenness.

Bowers had been due to go on trial accused of two counts of assault on separate victims and one of harassment - all allegedly racially aggravated.

Bowers admitted one count of common assault and one of threatening behaviour, both without any racial element. His lawyer said his grandfather is Jamaican.

Judge Stephen Holt ordered that he compete 120 hours of unpaid work for the community. He must also pay £1,000 in legal costs.

Prosecutor John Farmer said the other charges would not be proceeded with.

Judge Holt told him: "You got thoroughly drunk, putting it politely, and got in all sorts of trouble. It seems highly unlikely that you, given your background, would have made racist remarks."

Bowers, of Coulsdon, Surrey, has two previous convictions for drink driving and was cautioned for common assault on New Year's Eve, 2005.

The singer, who is now a DJ, rose to fame with boy band Another Level in the 1990s. He appeared on Celebrity Big Brother in 2010.

A spokesman for Bowers said after the hearing: "Dane Bowers has been found not guilty of any racial elements of the allegation made against him."

Check out Dane Bowers in R&B group known as 'Another Level', singing "Freak Me" (original song by Keith Sweath & Silk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3qDESAvzh0
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 7:03am On May 05, 2013
PM rival Adam Afriyie calls for two per cent tax on immigrants and mass deportation in incendiary manifesto

Determined: Adam Afriyie with his wife Tracy-Jane

In my view there are four major groups of immigrants: Illegal, asylum seekers, people working here legally on work visas and students. Of course, tourists regularly visit the UK too.

Adam Afriyie says the Conservatives lost many hard-working Conservative councillors to Nigel Farage's UK Independence Party.

Illegal immigrants should be deported. Tourists and genuine students should be welcomed with open arms – because every pound they spend in Britain, on our high streets or in our universities, contributes to this country’s long-term prosperity.

Next, we must make sure that people here on working visas are net contributors to Britain – that they are adding to the Treasury and contributing to British public services.

That is why I propose mandatory health insurance for all temporary visitors to this country. It could be paid and processed alongside the normal visa process.

It would relax financial pressure on the NHS and guarantee continued investment where required to deal with the increased load. If the US and Australia can implement an effective health insurance scheme for visitors, why can’t we?

Complete article
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 8:50am On May 05, 2013
eGuerrilla: PM rival Adam Afriyie calls for two per cent tax on immigrants and mass deportation in incendiary manifesto

This guy is from Peckham and he grew up broke in a council flat just like everyone else with an immigrant dad from Ghana... So, why the sudden change? undecided

I honestly don't understand some black people. sad
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 8:57am On May 05, 2013
eGuerrilla:
Assimilation rather than 'unworkable' integration has long been regarded as the safest route to achieving success in Britain. Few would admit to the existence of this unspoken rule publicly, even though its widespread acceptance is evident wherever you look. The following article lends some credence to this point, I think.

It seems the same assimilation policy is still alive... Most of the black people outside London would probably end up being assimilated... Perhaps, that's why in every town from the M6 and M5 to north of England - there are more mixed race people than pure black people... And interracial relationship is also being subtly promoted everywhere...

Anyway, it's all about the British identity and full loyalty/commitment to the Island...
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 9:31am On May 05, 2013
shymexx:

This guy is from Peckham and he grew up broke in a council flat just like everyone else with an immigrant dad from Ghana... So, why the sudden change? undecided

I honestly don't understand some black people. sad

I believe the ailment he's succumbed to is called "feeling among" in Nigeria. grin With good reason, some would argue that while Peckham was his stomping ground as a youth, the success he was to attain in his older years came from influences derived from elsewhere. At any rate as Afriyie is half-white, one cannot begrudge him for picking the side he most closely identifies with - the indigenous majority.

I would wager a bet the same also applies to the other three members of parliament we "claim" of ours - Chuka Umunna, Chi Onwurah and Helen Grant grin

1 Like

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 9:49am On May 05, 2013
eGuerrilla:
I believe the ailment he's succumbed to is called "feeling among" in Nigeria. grin With good reason, some would argue that while Peckham was his stomping ground as a youth, the success he was to attain in his older years came from influences derived from elsewhere. At any rate as Afriyie is half-white, one cannot begrudge him for picking the side he most closely identifies with - the indigenous majority.

I would wager a bet the same also applies to the other three members of parliament we "claim" of ours - Chuka Umunna, Chi Onwurah, and Helen Grant grin

Lmao... That's understandable - but I doubt Chuka Umunna is anything close to him... Chuka's success can be attributed to the inheritance he got after his father death - his dad was a millionaire... I've listened to him speak a few times and he sounds like a decent chap with a good head on his shoulders... grin I believe he's down for the cause..Heheheheh

As for Chi Onwurah, she's from Newcastle upon Tyne - I doubt her outlook would differ from Afriyie's despite being a Labour MP...

Helen Grant is with the conservatives and she's David Lammy in a woman's body... She's definitely riding with Afriyie...
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 10:01am On May 05, 2013
shymexx:

Lmao... That's understandable - but I doubt Chuka Umunna is anything close to him... Chuka's success can be attributed to the inheritance he got after his father death - his dad was a millionaire... I've listened to him speak a few times and he sounds like a decent chap with a good head on his shoulders... grin I believe he's down for the cause..Heheheheh

As for Chi Onwurah, she's from Newcastle upon Tyne - I doubt her outlook would differ from Afriyie's despite being a Labour MP...

Helen Grant is with the conservatives and she's David Lammy in a woman's body... She's definitely riding with Afriyie...

As I am not au fait with Chuka's personal leanings beyond the labour party's clamour for power, I have long regarded him as a young Paul Boateng - who would sooner capitulate - to gain greater acceptance in the mainstream of British politics.
Since you appear to better informed in this regard, however, I will take your word for it.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 10:24am On May 05, 2013
eGuerrilla:
As I am not au fait with Chuka's personal leanings beyond the labour party's clamour for power, I have long regarded him as a young Paul Boateng - who would sooner capitulate - to gain greater acceptance in the mainstream of British politics.
Since you appear to better informed in this regard, however, I will take your word for it.

Young Paul Boateng? That's scary.

I'm not that informed about his outlook. I just listened to him speak a few times and he sounds like a mixture of Diane Abbott and David Lammy... Diane Abbott scares the hell out of white folks and David Lammy is their best friend.... Perhaps, that's why I believe he's a perfect fit...
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 12:38pm On May 05, 2013
@eGuerrilla

These are the folks who should be at the fore-front of re-educating black people about wealth creation and how to exploit the system to their advantage... Most people will listen to them because they're "achievers" regardless of how small their achievements might be....However, it's just a pity that once they all cross to the other side - they never look back... We all keep crying about lack of black role models - the truth is that, they're out there... But they have all dissociated/disconnected themselves from the race/struggle - hence why it's a vicious cycle of poverty, crime, and destruction...

Adam Afriyie for example was raised by a single mum in Peckham and I'm darn sure he was a knuckle head whilst growing up... I honestly don't think he was also the smartest-kid-on-the-block whilst growing because of his CV... So, why's he neglecting those kids who're currently where he was 20-30 years ago? I'm sure he's aware about the groaning and moaning about lack of black role models... These kids need positive role models not the thugs/oafs/gangsters/yardies that have taken over all the estates in South London.. At least 20-40 youths from every estate in Peckham is in prison - and about 70-80% of the youths there have criminal record(s)...

These kids need someone to look up to and inspire them to greatness.. People like me can't do that - we're still young, prone to making mistakes, and still trying figure out the system and get our "finance(s)" up to the elite status... Black people can't keep feeling sorry for themselves and crying about the system - they need people to educate on about how to make the best out of the system... That's one area the Asians have mastered and why they're far ahead of us in absolutely everything except sports.

1 Like

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by ManOfThePeople(m): 9:19pm On May 05, 2013
Fact is once people have "made it", it's more convenient to attach to the more promising side.

What have Peckham youths to offer Adam Afriye to enable him dvance in the society? Nada.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by biafranqueen: 2:25am On May 06, 2013
whats the proof
edgideon: 30000 american citizens live in naija
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 12, 2013
shymexx: @eGuerrilla

These are the folks who should be at the fore-front of re-educating black people about wealth creation and how to exploit the system to their advantage... Most people will listen to them because they're "achievers" regardless of how small their achievements might be....However, it's just a pity that once they all cross to the other side - they never look back... We all keep crying about lack of black role models - the truth is that, they're out there... But they have all dissociated/disconnected themselves from the race/struggle - hence why it's a vicious cycle of poverty, crime, and destruction...

Adam Afriyie for example was raised by a single mum in Peckham and I'm darn sure he was a knuckle head whilst growing up... I honestly don't think he was also the smartest-kid-on-the-block whilst growing because of his CV... So, why's he neglecting those kids who're currently where he was 20-30 years ago? I'm sure he's aware about the groaning and moaning about lack of black role models... These kids need positive role models not the thugs/oafs/gangsters/yardies that have taken over all the estates in South London.. At least 20-40 youths from every estate in Peckham is in prison - and about 70-80% of the youths there have criminal record(s)...

These kids need someone to look up to and inspire them to greatness.. People like me can't do that - we're still young, prone to making mistakes, and still trying figure out the system and get our "finance(s)" up to the elite status... Black people can't keep feeling sorry for themselves and crying about the system - they need people to educate on about how to make the best out of the system... That's one area the Asians have mastered and why they're far ahead of us in absolutely everything except sports.

I had forgotten all about this thread thread until today @shymexx.

In opinion, while you raise some interesting facts points about Afriyie, I am less convinced that the endangered youths you mentioned would place much stock on his value as role model. As these youths are smart enough to know how narrow the funnel gets as you travel upwards, they are unlikely to respond favourably to advances made by a centre-right MP who considers himself post-racial - if truth be told.

Nah bro, what is needed are more role models like yourself, who can evangelise the renaissance and help spread the gospel of possibilities smiley

Britain's first black Mayor - elected in 1913

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eff3xavkW8
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Mogidi: 2:01pm On May 12, 2013
How did the people of London vote for this yeye man Mr Ade yeye?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Army's Official Statement About The Abia NUJ & Soldiers Fracas In Umuahia / Fayose Won’t Run Away From Nigeria, Not Afraid Of EFCC - Lere Olayinka / Magistrate Seen Using A Torch Due To The Lack Of Electricity During A Proceeding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.