Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,029 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London (21408 Views)

Oba Of Lagos Akiolu In The Streets Of London Holding Bread (Photos) / Nigerian Born Kate Anolue, Is The New Mayor Of Enfield, London / How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by trent9002(m): 11:26am On May 04, 2013
I'm pretty sure the mayor of London is Boris Johnson
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 11:28am On May 04, 2013
ManOfThePeople: .

Ah ah, London no reach 1m naija. If they include naija visitors who come to visit family from everywhere: Naija, US, Europe etc, it might be up to. But residents no way. UK as a whole cannot have more than 1.2 m Naija sef.

We're just loud and easily noticeable... Places like west midlands have far more Zimbabweans than Nigerians... and Caribbeans dominate everywhere outside London - they probably outnumber Africans by 10 to 1 in most places but you'll never see them making up stupid numbers about their population... Heck, most of them(esp. the rasta's) don't even have their names on anything(voters list, census etc.)..
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 11:31am On May 04, 2013
9icest:

He doesn't have to, you need to visit to know Niaja don choke that place. Though the asians are the majority.anyways, but naija nor dey carry last!

Do you know how to interpret the table I put up earlier?
Just asking...
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 11:32am On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

We're just loud and easily noticeable... Places like west midlands have far more Zimbabweans than Nigerians... and Caribbeans dominate everywhere outside London - they probably outnumber Africans by 10 to 1 in most places but you'll never see them making up stupid numbers about their population... Heck, most of them(esp. the rasta's) don't even have their names on anything(voters list, census etc.)..

Don't mind these folks who do not travel around the UK grin
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by eaglechild: 11:38am On May 04, 2013
Took a ride to York for some sightseeing and i literally had a culture shock cause i spent half a day touring that town and i didnt see a single black face.
Not even one, except for my reflection on the mirror.
I felt awkard cause everyone was irritatingly polite.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 11:47am On May 04, 2013
eaglechild: Took a ride to York for some sightseeing and i literally had a culture shock cause i spent half a day touring that town and i didnt see a single black face.

You want to know why?

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Ticha: 11:48am On May 04, 2013
[quote author=eaglechild
I felt awkard cause everyone was irritatingly polite. [/quote]
Had a very good laught at that! I teach in a rural college. My students call me Miss and stop to say hello when they see hubby and I out and about. I found it very odd initially!
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by bakynes(m): 11:48am On May 04, 2013
As far as black popoulation is concerned in London Jamaicans has d highest figures followed by Nigerians then Ghanaians,Sierra lone d rest of Africa and d rest of d Caribbean
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by thelonestranger: 11:50am On May 04, 2013
I went to Southampton once and saw a black student lady who screamed and hugged me.she was overjoyed to see just one more black person.
I went also to Glasgow and only black person I saw in two days was a woman sweeping the train station. The only attractive place to Nigerians in UK is London and boroughs.I don't think you will find 1million Nigerians in that place. Damn too cold.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by cap28: 11:58am On May 04, 2013
Even if this were true (and it is definitely not) so what?
do you have any economic or political power?
the answer is - no.

the vast majority of africans in london are low income earners who have been allowed entry into this country to take up the low paying but necessary jobs that the indigenous people will not do.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 11:59am On May 04, 2013
eaglechild: Took a ride to York for some sightseeing and i literally had a culture shock cause i spent half a day touring that town and i didnt see a single black face.
LOOOOL!!! I can totally relate.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by bakynes(m): 12:06pm On May 04, 2013
thelonestranger: I went to Southampton once and saw a black student lady who screamed and hugged me.she was overjoyed to see just one more black person.
I went also to Glasgow and only black person I saw in two days was a woman sweeping the train station. The only attractive place to Nigerians in UK is London and boroughs.I don't think you will find 1million Nigerians in that place. Damn too cold.
Even in London its self there are places you hardly find blacks like West central london,some part of East london not to talk of places like Yorkshire,Jordie areas,Northumbria coz dem dey close to scotland bt u will definitely find Indians and Pakistanis there even reach Northern ireland,Scotland and wales bt u will find jamaicans and few nigerians in Bristol,Birmingham and Manchester
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by zumbigbo(m): 12:12pm On May 04, 2013
Naija-nomics don reach UK - inflate polulation figures to increase bargaining power and increased allotment from the town Hall. Not even 1 million Polish in the uk - and dey plenty for that place.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by tellwisdom: 12:29pm On May 04, 2013
What are they doing in the U.K?
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 04, 2013
Am not surprised sha
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by redsun(m): 12:33pm On May 04, 2013

There are blacks in York but you can't find them around tourist attractions. York like most big cities in the north is opening to non whites,mainly due to London congestion and exorbitant cost of living.

London feels like lagos sometimes,with the exception of uncontrolled chaos.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by abdulkayus(m): 12:39pm On May 04, 2013
Dem don carry their lie lie reach UK, don dey claim say na dem get London. We are jus too loud, dat its. Even Indians and Pakis dat are much more than us dont make dat hell of a noise dat dey UK or london, dat is y some country dont like us cos we tend to claim too much.

1 Like

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 12:42pm On May 04, 2013
thelonestranger: I went to Southampton once and saw a black student lady who screamed and hugged me.she was overjoyed to see just one more black person.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by AMvanquish: 1:01pm On May 04, 2013
1m Nigerians in the UK, I can lean to that but definately not London. Surely some won't show up for Census, others hv overstayed their welcome n staying illegally and some are just outright illegal immigrant keeping it on the low low. But the bulk of Nigerians in Uk would definately be yoruba. They everywhere there.My thots tho.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 04, 2013
abdulkayus: Dem don carry their lie lie reach UK, don dey claim say na dem get London. We are jus too loud, dat its. Even Indians and Pakis dat are much more than us dont make dat hell of a noise dat dey UK or london, dat is y some country dont like us cos we tend to claim too much.

Bro., let's just feign ignorance that there 1million are Nigerians in the London... But what's point of having so many people with nothing to show for it? All we do is just party hard and turn every darn place to a freaking church... Heck, even most African shops where they sell African foodstuffs are owned by the Asians - that's pretty much how useless we're... Screaming on the darn phone on buses and talking loud on the streets = Nigerians... undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by asha80(m): 1:13pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

Bro., let's just feign ignorance that there 1million are Nigerians in the London... But what's point of having so many people with nothing to show for it? All we do is just party hard and turn every darn place to a freaking church... Heck, even most African shops where they sell African foodstuffs are owned by the Asians - that's pretty much how useless we're... Screaming on the darn phone on buses and talking loud on the streets = Nigerians... undecided undecided
undecided
shymexx:

maybe because the nigerians there are not biz minded.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by solomon111(m): 1:15pm On May 04, 2013
Lmfao!!
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by otunba1(m): 1:17pm On May 04, 2013
They are not up to a million. London na yoruba second home.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 1:18pm On May 04, 2013
asha 80: undecidedmaybe because the nigerians there are not biz minded.

All the ethnic groups in Nigeria are well represented in the UK...

Black people just lack the wit to create wealth outside the shores of Africa and Nigerians generally aren't community oriented outside Nigeria... We don't stick together like the Asians do - we're just loud and unnecessarily arrogant....
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 04, 2013
Black people are just above trying to hard to be better than the next black person so as to lord over him/her... However, asians on the other hand are about asian pride and working together for everyone to become successful..

In Birmingham and most of west midlands for example - about 30-40% of all the houses are owned by asians... and some of these landlords just got to this country like 2 secs ago... That's how much they help one another out.. They stick together and their money is longer than Yao Ming...

As for Nigerians, all we do is just turn everywhere to churches to rip other people off... The sun is out now - it's time for Nigerians to start taking loans just to do parties everywhere... grin
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by coogar: 1:33pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

it's hard for nigerians to keep it real in the UK and do the same again in nigeria. nigerians are practically living a double-life out here. majority of the nigerians you see here siphon 80% of their income to nigeria to secure properties or take care of dependent relatives. such expenses put a dent on their social life here - my barber has been here for about 10 years, he stays in a shared house like a pauper but he's completed his house in lagos. his next project? to build another house and rent it out - that's the mentality!

4 Likes

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Revolva(m): 1:37pm On May 04, 2013
grin Hahaha london don suffer dats why i hate the city called london.....sometimes....by 2 years na 5 million before dem know one naija man don be come mayor.....and dey drag chair with queen....hahaha british folks are lazy
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by AbdH: 2:06pm On May 04, 2013
ng4am: I just noticed something in dis article, why the mayor is talking about nigeria, Fashola is busy talking of lagos, dis man only ve interest in lagos and not nigeria for those of u that want to make him ur next president.
Haba sister, he is the governor of Lagos and not the president of Nigeria now.

2 Likes

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Afam4eva(m): 2:09pm On May 04, 2013
Like someone said, of what use is it if Nigerians in London are 1million ore even 90% of the population in London. It's not like they control anything major. They're mostly low income earners. I think Nigerians in the US are better of financially.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Litmus: 2:10pm On May 04, 2013
Casual and lazy comments the bane of Nigerians!

People simply and lazily lump all Africans and call them Nigerians. Thy don't care what the actual figures reveal! Nigerian is the new word for blacks. When they used to report people crossing the Sahara to find their way to Europe,on the spot interview after interview would show the people traveling to Italy, Spain etc came from Senegal, Ethiopia,Somalia Bukina, Togo, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Liberia and hardly any Nigerian and yet people would come here to cry Nigerians. Right now BBC is reporting Senegalese heading in large numbers to Brazil but pretty soon when they get involved in criminality and prostitution they will suddenly become Nigerians. Poor us Nigerians!

Every Caribbean is Jamaican,Every African is Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Rossikk(m): 2:39pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx: Black people are just above trying to hard to be better than the next black person so as to lord over him/her... However, asians on the other hand are about asian pride and working together for everyone to become successful..

In Birmingham and most of west midlands for example - about 30-40% of all the houses are owned by asians... and some of these landlords just got to this country like 2 secs ago... That's how much they help one another out.. They stick together and their money is longer than Yao Ming...

As for Nigerians, all we do is just turn everywhere to churches to rip other people off... The sun is out now - it's time for Nigerians to start taking loans just to do parties everywhere... grin

What a load of rubbish. I don't know which Nigerians YOU mix with in the UK but the vast majority of Nigerians are hardworking, responsible, with many high earners, students, entrepreneurs, homeowners, and highly educated.

Maybe you should change the crowd you hang with.

As for Asians, they have even more parties and attend clubs more than Nigerians if you knew anything about them.

2 Likes

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Yinka1808: 3:18pm On May 04, 2013
Hope dz is nt neocolonialism, Fashola beware pls

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Orji Uzor Kalu’s Mother, Brothers Join APC / Wike Dissociates Self From Comments Made By Media Aide Alleging A Judicial Gangu / With Love From Sambisa - By Da Boomsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.