Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London (21406 Views)

Oba Of Lagos Akiolu In The Streets Of London Holding Bread (Photos) / Nigerian Born Kate Anolue, Is The New Mayor Of Enfield, London / How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by nuesaweso(f): 6:28pm On May 04, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Lower prices are the main factor here, I think.
More to the point, Asians find it easier to pool resources for wholesale purchases, with a view to strangulating the retail market where possible.

Outside of our faith based institutions, tell me when last you heard of Black (African) SMEs operating as a cabal anywhere in the UK.

I agree. However, on closer scrutiny i.e some number crunching, some of those prices are incredulous. Their selling price is essentially the landing cost! I have experimented with some numbers for my estimates using the cost of sourcing tuber from Ghana, grains, red oil from Nigeria & Ghana, plantain from carribean, seafood from asia + shipping. Does anyone understand the supply chain better?

Black African SMEs never operate as cabal, not even with the backing of the religious institutions which is a bit disappointing.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Inoknowbook: 6:29pm On May 04, 2013
coogar:

it's hard for nigerians to keep it real in the UK and do the same again in nigeria. nigerians are practically living a double-life out here. majority of the nigerians you see here siphon 80% of their income to nigeria to secure properties or take care of dependent relatives. such expenses put a dent on their social life here - my barber has been here for about 10 years, he stays in a shared house like a pauper but he's completed his house in lagos. his next project? to build another house and rent it out - that's the mentality!

Thank you oooo! Make dem dey rubbish their fellow naijas like say dem sabi pass everybody. Na the thing wey u sabi u go talk, what of the one wey u no know? Could you imagine someone saying that Nigerians lack the 'wit' to create wealth outside of Naija? Naija people wey everybody sabi as intelligent biz people. The ultimate goal of many naijas wey dey in diaspora na to do bigger things for naija, so no allow the way wey dem dey live deceive u into thinking u sabi pass them.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 04, 2013
coogar:
india? china?
there are more chinese people in diaspora than the population of nigeria, how fair is the comparison? india's population is also huge so i expect them to be up there as well. however, from the UK, only the indians send more money home than nigerians and you cannot tell me indians live [b]considerably better than nigerians in the UK.[/b]

So, Nigerians in the UK live better than Indians? You need to go out more. Indians are so far ahead in the UK, I doubt we'll come close to sniffing their "curry" in the next 40 years...
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 04, 2013
coogar:

hold on......
the facts are here - http://static.guim.co.uk/interactivestore/2013/1/31/1359656845999/792200/index.html?mobile=true

use the drop-box and put any country and the stats of the inflow n outflow of cash would flash across your eyes.

Thanks
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by coogar: 6:41pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:
So, Nigerians in the UK live better than Indians? You need to go out more. Indians are so far ahead in the UK, I doubt we'll come close to sniffing their "curry" in the next 40 years...

i did not say that -
read the words again - i said you cannot tell me indians live considerably better than nigerians in the UK. what i am trying to say is even if we agree the indians live better, the difference is touch and go(marginal)!!!!!

Chimesie Osifi, 40, who runs an internet cafe in Peckham, sends between £500 and £1,000 to his family in Nigeria several times a year.

"I try to send money every month or six weeks. Most of it goes to my mum," he says. "This money is a lot to me, but my mum has done so much for me that I want to send it to her. I am one of nine children so my mum manages to survive OK in Nigeria."

Most of the money he sends to his mother, a retired teacher, is spent on the upkeep of her house and for odd jobs Osifi cannot do himself.

He plans to return to Nigeria in the next three or four years and go into politics. "Nigeria is going through difficult times and we need to contribute to the wellbeing of the country. No matter how small, we should all contribute."

culled from guardianUK
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Inoknowbook: 6:41pm On May 04, 2013
[quote author=Rossikk]

What a load of rubbish. I don't know which Nigerians YOU mix with in the UK but the vast majority of Nigerians are hardworking, responsible, with many high earners, students, entrepreneurs, homeowners, and highly educated.

Maybe you should change the crowd you hang with.

As for Asians, they have even more parties and attend clubs more than Nigerians if you knew anything about them.

/quote]

Waoooo, I never knew that I would be able to see eye to eye with Rossikk on any issue. But on this, I'm in total agreement with you. Thank you. I have been reading the comments on this post from the top heading to the bottom, and I have been surprised at the way some UK naijas have trying to denigrate their fellow naijas with their comments, and it is very unfortunate. Unfortunate, because, I know that there are so many very successful Naijas in all walks of life in the UK, and some people are here pretending as if they are better than most Naijas over there. Very unfortunate indeed!
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

Indians are definitely ahead on so many KPIs, that I am surprised this is up for debate.
But even so, it would be wrong not to acknowledge some of the recent gains attained by the Nigeria community.

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by kamelonaire(m): 6:44pm On May 04, 2013
I can don't believe dis rumour, or did u mean uk in general
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 04, 2013
nues aweso:

I agree. However, on closer scrutiny i.e some number crunching, some of those prices are incredulous. Their selling price is essentially the landing cost! I have experimented with some numbers for my estimates using the cost of sourcing tuber from Ghana, grains, red oil from Nigeria & Ghana, plantain from carribean, seafood from asia + shipping. Does anyone understand the supply chain better?

Black African SMEs never operate as cabal, not even with the backing of the religious institutions which is a bit disappointing.

Have you ever considered sourcing some of these items from South America (Brazil)?
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by kamelonaire(m): 6:46pm On May 04, 2013
I can not believe dis rumour, or did u mean uk in general
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 04, 2013
coogar:
i did not say that -
read the words again - i said you cannot tell me indians live considerably better than nigerians in the UK. what i am trying to say is even if we agree the indians live better, the difference is touch and go(marginal)!!!!!

You're living in denial... The difference is so wide that even Nigerian officials use them and their companies for money laundering... Indians are deep in the system and they operate at every level of wealth creation - from blue chip companies, to road side corner-shops...

Don't even get me started with real estate and some of the major law firms in the UK... I honestly doubt Nigerians can compete with Caribbeans when it comes to creating wealth at the upper tier...
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by yeswecan(m): 6:47pm On May 04, 2013
One million Nigerians in London? This is simply not possible. For a start the entire population of United Kingdom is 63 million and there are less than 500,000 black Africans in the entire United Kingdom.

1 Like

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by coogar: 6:51pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:
You're living in denial... The difference is so wide that even Nigerian officials use them and their companies for money laundering... Indians are deep in the system and they operate at every level of wealth creation - from blue chip companies, to road side corner-shops...

Don't even get me started with real estate and some of the major law firms in the UK...

there's no wide difference -
the information on the internet is not far-fetched. there's no wide difference. nigerians are not slouches in the UK, a trip to tilbury on any day of the week would tell you nigerians are rich but bogged down by dependent relatives or the mad love for their country. by the time these people send money home, there's little or no money left to afford the kind of lifestyle you expect from them.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Obiagu1(m): 6:53pm On May 04, 2013
SHOCKED!

There could even be more Black people in Canada than in the UK.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 6:54pm On May 04, 2013
eGuerrilla:
Indians are definitely ahead on some many KPIs, that I am surprised this is up for debate.
But even so, it would be wrong not to acknowledge some of the recent gains attained by the Nigeria community.

I concur... That's the information the government is privy to... We all know Indians are sneaky and smart-ar.ses when it comes to income declaration and dodging taxes..
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Obiagu1(m): 6:55pm On May 04, 2013
So we have just 1.54 Million Blacks in the whole of England and Wales shocked
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 04, 2013
Obiagu1: So we have just 1.54 Million Blacks in the whole of England and Wales shocked

I will throw in an extra 300,000 just to be on the safe side, if you know what I mean.

If it is any consolation, you would not be the first to express bewilderment after looking at the raw figures.
In this respect, I think the achievement of Black folk in the UK need to be celebrated, given how visible they have become across certain key sectors.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 04, 2013
coogar:
there's no wide difference -
the information on the internet is not far-fetched. there's no wide difference. nigerians are not slouches in the UK, a trip to tilbury on any day of the week would tell you nigerians are rich but bogged down by dependent relatives or the mad love for their country. by the time these people send money home, there's little or no money left to afford the kind of lifestyle you expect from them.

Did you say Tilbury? - you're a joker... Tilbury is just 20 mins drive from where I live now and there's absolutely nothing special about Tilbury... You should have said Brentwood, or any other affluent place in the London-Essex axis... However, Indians own Brentwood as well...
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by coogar: 6:59pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:
Did you say Tilbury? - you're a joker... Tilbury is just 20 mins drive from where I live now and there's absolutely nothing special about Tilbury... You should have said Brentwood, or any other affluent place in the London-Essex axis... However, Indians own Brentwood as well...

you like jumping the gun - i am talking about the port there - where nigerians send wares back home.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Obiagu1(m): 6:59pm On May 04, 2013
eGuerrilla:

I will throw in an extra 300,000 just to be on the safe side, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, illegal aliens lol
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 04, 2013
coogar:

you like jumping the gun - i am talking about the port there - where nigerians send wares back home.

But that doesn't change anything...
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Obiagu1(m): 7:02pm On May 04, 2013
Percentage of Blacks in the UK = 2.8%
Percentage of Blacks in Canada = 2.5%

Yet Canada did not colonize any black nation.
What's happening in the UK?
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by coogar: 7:03pm On May 04, 2013
eGuerrilla:

there could be 1 million nigerians in london - nigerians pour into this island on a daily basis and majority don't return back. hardly would you go anywhere in the south/east axis and not find nigerians holding 2 or more phones to their heads.

shymexx:
But that doesn't change anything...

it does - you just don't have an idea.
to say nigerians don't create wealth in the UK is misleading. there are restaurants, african stores, accounting firms and immigration law firms owned by nigerians dotted across the capital.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 04, 2013
Obiagu1: Percentage of Blacks in the UK = 2.8%

Simple. Black folk get assimilated over time.
In my travels around Liverpool and Manchester, I have encountered several blue-eyed blondes who attest to having a Nigerian great-grand parent.

- 48 percent of Black Caribbean men are in mixed race relationships.
- 34 percent of Black Caribbean women are in mixed race relationships.
- Overall, younger people from most ethnic backgrounds are more likely to be in mixed race relationships; 10 percent of 16-29 year olds, compared to 8 percent of 30-59 year olds.
https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/2009/01/19/the-rise-of-mixed-race-britain
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 04, 2013
Obiagu1: Percentage of Blacks in the UK = 2.8%

That's the same question most people ask all the time as well... Bear in mind that black people have been here since the 1700s... So, what happened to that generation?

Most of the black people in the UK now, came after the windrush... Perhaps, that's the reason for the low population quotient..
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 04, 2013
eGuerrilla:
In my travels around Liverpool and Manchester, I have encountered several blue-eyed blondes who attest to having a Nigerian great-grand parent.

@ the bolded - they all turned "white." grin
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 7:11pm On May 04, 2013
coogar:

there could be 1 million nigerians in london - nigerians pour into this island on a daily basis and majority don't return back. hardly would you go anywhere in the south/east axis and not find nigerians holding 2 or more phones to their heads.

it does - you just don't have an idea.
to say nigerians don't create wealth in the UK is misleading. there are restaurants, african stores, accounting firms and immigration law firms owned by nigerians dotted across the capital.

No way is 1 in 8 of the London population a Nigerian.
Look at the figures presented here - https://www.nairaland.com/1278836/over-1m-nigerians-live-london/1
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Obiagu1(m): 7:11pm On May 04, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Do mixed race kids class as Whites or Blacks?
I know if you are mixed and not completely White, you are classified as Black.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by RealMccoy2(m): 7:12pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

I would advise you stop arguing with people that choose to live in denial.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

@ the bolded - they all turned "white." grin

You know how it is though with so-called "post-racial" Britain.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by coogar: 7:14pm On May 04, 2013

- 48 percent of Black Caribbean men are in mixed race relationships.
- 34 percent of Black Caribbean women are in mixed race relationships.
- Overall, younger people from most ethnic backgrounds are more likely to be in mixed race relationships; 10 percent of 16-29 year olds, compared to 8 percent of 30-59 year olds.

mixed-race relationships are sweet!
come on - i can boldly say a man has not really lived if he's yet to date across the racial lines. grin
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 7:16pm On May 04, 2013
Obiagu1:

Do mixed race kids class as Whites or Blacks?
I know if you are mixed and not completely White, you are classified as Black.

Two generations in...and they pass themselves of as the real indigenes (white)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Police And Shiite Protesters Clash In Abuja (Photos) / President Buhari Appoints New Management For Nigeria Export-Import (NEXIM) Bank / Festus Keyamo On 774,000 Jobs: "Politicians Blackmailing Me"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.