Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,936 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

A Question For The 'Believer'... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question For The 'Believer'... (4736 Views)

10 Proven Ways To Overcome Temptation As A Believer / Clothing And The Believer In A 'Modern World' / The Rapture: The Believer’s Hope – Pastor Chris (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question For The 'Believer'... by Bella3(f): 12:14am On May 08, 2013
Lately i have been doing alot of thinking because of this question: 'how can God give freewill, at thesame time be omniscient (ie be know all things- past, present and future)?'

*trolls not invited*

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 3:13am On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: Lately i have been doing alot of thinking because of this question: 'how can God give freewill, at thesame time be omnipotent (ie be know all things- past, present and future)?'

*trolls not invited*
I think the word you're looking for is 'omniscient'...
and this thread,well, make of it what you will...

https://www.nairaland.com/1254148/why-idea-god-fraud
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 3:32am On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: Lately i have been doing alot of thinking because of this question: 'how can God give freewill, at thesame time be omnipotent (ie be know all things- past, present and future)?'

*trolls not invited*

Nice thoughts. Every individual is a self-aware, self-reflective, free-will entity. Free will is not given to you,you own it! Aint you a goddess yourself?
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 3:57am On May 08, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/61#14676165

Logicboy03:

God knows everything- God is omniscient
God knows everything- God knows the future
God knows that tommorrow Mr, A will eat chocolate ice-cream from an ice cream vendor

Analysing what then happens the next day;

-Mr A goes to the ice-cream vendor ponders what flavour to eat bewteen vanilla, lemon and chocolate. He buys chocolate ice-cream
a) MR A. could not have chosen vanilla flavour because God would have been wrong and therefore God didnt know the future and therefore God is no longer omniscient
b) MR A. actually did not "choose" chocolate flavour. His choice was an illusion. All he did was follow God's foreseen path. Mr A had no freewill in deciding his ice-cream. Choice doesnt exist where there is no alternative

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Bella3(f): 7:21am On May 08, 2013
musKeeto:
I think the word you're looking for is 'omniscient'...
and this thread,well, make of it what you will...

https://www.nairaland.com/1254148/why-idea-god-fraud
thanks,
well edited.
The thread was very long and the title highly offensive. I'd realy appreciate christians advising a 'confused sister'

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Bella3(f): 7:23am On May 08, 2013

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Bella3(f): 7:25am On May 08, 2013
ifeness:

Nice thoughts. Every individual is a self-aware, self-reflective, free-will entity. Free will is not given to you,you own it! Aint you a goddess yourself?
i beleive there are instances where humans dont have total free will.

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 9:01am On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: i beleive there are instances where humans dont have total free will.

There are no interruptions in anyone's life, everything in life is a product of what we want to experience. Except you make some unconscious blocks with your mind which of course will seem as if you do not have free will. Example: when you look into the mirror,you will see a reflexion of yourself,if you do not smile,the refexion of you wont smile regardless of how you wish it to. Most times we blame others or gods for our misfortunes not knowing that we are the creators of our fate.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by PastorOluT(m): 9:49am On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: Lately i have been doing alot of thinking because of this question: 'how can God give freewill, at thesame time be omniscient (ie be know all things- past, present and future)?'

*trolls not invited*

Bella good day,

The first thing to clarify about God omniscience is that knowing all things is not the same as influencing it, many at times when we talk about God' omniscience we think of Him influencing our actions. He knows all things because He is God, though we can not fully comprehend this but we sure know from experience that we are the architect of our choice.

God gave each of us freewill and with it comes consequences, whatever we decide to do with our freewill is our choice but we should be ready to eat the fruit and God will not change it for anyone for He is a respecter of none and have no favorite. But in Christ Jesus all our past is gone and all consequence is done away with.

How do you even know what He knows about you before doing what you did? Many gives the excuse that since He knows all this about me, He knows i will be this bad so why change, this only makes us more accountable because we deliberately did what we did under the cloak that we technically do not have a choice.

Stay blessed and remain rapturable

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by frank317: 10:22am On May 08, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

Bella good day,

The first thing to clarify about God omniscience is that knowing all things is not the same as influencing it, many at times when we talk about God' omniscience we think of Him influencing our actions. He knows all things because He is God, though we can not fully comprehend this but we sure know from experience that we are the architect of our choice.

God gave each of us freewill and with it comes consequences, whatever we decide to do with our freewill is our choice but we should be ready to eat the fruit and God will not change it for anyone for He is a respecter of none and have no favorite. But in Christ Jesus all our past is gone and all consequence is done away with.

How do you even know what He knows about you before doing what you did? Many gives the excuse that since He knows all this about me, He knows i will be this bad so why change, this only makes us more accountable because we deliberately did what we did under the cloak that we technically do not have a choice.

why did u ignore my questions in the other thread... u better answer cos i willl never let u escape
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by PastorOluT(m): 11:58am On May 08, 2013
frank3.16:

why did u ignore my questions in the other thread... u better answer cos i willl never let u escape

No be fight my friend, but which i thought i have done that? undecided
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by alfaman3: 12:21pm On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: thanks,
well edited.
The thread was very long and the title highly offensive. I'd realy appreciate christians advising a 'confused sister'

You can wait till thy kingdom come if you were seeking an honest answer from christians.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by alfaman3: 12:42pm On May 08, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

Bella good day,

If this made sense to you, then there is no hope for you.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by alfaman3: 12:49pm On May 08, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

And there is great hope for you in what if i may ask?

I don't need hope. Only the afflicted need hope.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 1:14pm On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: thanks,
I'd realy appreciate christians advising a 'confused sister'

Someone is going to have a real long wait
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Someone is going to have a real long wait

Do you want my binoculars? Can't you see that she has gotten the response she requested for?
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by JeSoul(f): 1:49pm On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: Lately i have been doing alot of thinking because of this question: 'how can God give freewill, at thesame time be omniscient (ie be know all things- past, present and future)?'

*trolls not invited*
Hiya Bella, these are very good questions. This thread may be useful to you...
https://www.nairaland.com/336414/freewill-teaching-point-passed-across/1#4731737

JeSoul:

ttalks, you're muddying the waters a lil bit here brotha. Lets look at Rom 9 in total context shall we?

14What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15For he says to Moses,
"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." 16It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." 18Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

19One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' " 21Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

22What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

I daresay this portion of scripture is not talking about God controlling our wills - it is saying God's ultimate will/purpose will be done regardless! and there's nothing man can do to stop or resist it. This is very different from saying He controls or determines our will. I hope you see this subtle but very important distinction.

and if you don't, how do you explain these verses in scripture?
John 7:17
If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.

Mk 3:35 Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother

there could not be a clearer portion of scripture that shows we do have a choice whether or not to do the will of God. Which is why this next quote from you is extremely problematic:
So in essence your position is we never have a choice? we are simply pawns in God's supernatural chess game who really have no say in determining anything about the course of our lives?

We agree God's purpose and ultimate will will always be accomplished no matter what, but where we differ is how this purpose gets accomplished. You say he determines our will and in essence our choices, I say He works within the choices that we make because He has foreknowledge of what we will do - and uses this to bring about His will and purpose. Does He influence our wills sometimes? absolutely! does He ever determine it? I don't think that is biblically accurate.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 1:50pm On May 08, 2013
striktlymi:

Do you want my binoculars? Can't you see that she has gotten the response she requested for?

She got sophistry not a valid response grin grin
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 2:07pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

She got sophistry not a valid response grin grin

Hmmm...that's what you call it but it will do I hope...

Anyways, she has another one from Jesoul tongue
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 2:10pm On May 08, 2013
striktlymi:

Hmmm...that's what you call it but it will do I hope...

Anyways, she has another one from Jesoul tongue

Jesoul's post was an abuse of common sense.....she was never a good debater grin
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 08, 2013
Hi Bella3 smiley

Um, quite a question you have there. smiley I hope the "skepticism" of the unbelievers is not getting to you. Even if it is, the Lord is more than able to keep them that have trusted in Him.

This question of omniscience versus free will is a funny kind. It sounds legitimate and real but nobody has proven it to be an honest question, at least, not on this forum.

So I'll say first of all that even if God made His Creation deterministic by nature or semi-deterministic, He's got every right in the book to do so. After all, it's His Creation.

Second, the answer to your question, dear sis, is that God is not at all subject to time. In His reality, He does not have to look forward to a future or backward to a past. He commands time. Thus, He sees everything happening at all times as though it were all happening at once. He knows what decisions you will make in your future because He is watching you make them in the future at the very same time that you make them. So He does not "predict" the future as we would, rather, He witnesses it.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 08, 2013
Good response, JeSoul. smiley I was in transit and making my own post or else I would have seen it sooner and perhaps held my peace.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 08, 2013
Ihedinobi: Hi Bella3 smiley

Um, quite a question you have there. smiley I hope the "skepticism" of the unbelievers is not getting to you. Even if it is, the Lord is more than able to keep them that have trusted in Him.

This question of omniscience versus free will is a funny kind. It sounds legitimate and real but nobody has proven it to be an honest question, at least, not on this forum.

So I'll say first of all that even if God made His Creation deterministic by nature or semi-deterministic, He's got every right in the book to do so. After all, it's His Creation.

Second, the answer to your question, dear sis, is that God is not at all subject to time. In His reality, He does not have to look forward to a future or backward to a past. He commands time. Thus, He sees everything happening at all times as though it were all happening at once. He knows what decisions you will make in your future because He is watching you make them in the future at the very same time that you make them. So He does not "predict" the future as we would, rather, He witnesses it.

@ Bella,

Please watch as how Ihedinobi tries to deny the contradiction between omniscience and freewill over 7 pages and fails
https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/61#14676165

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 08, 2013
Ihedinobi: Good response, JeSoul. smiley I was in transit and making my own post or else I would have seen it sooner and perhaps held my peace.

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Jesoul's post was an abuse of common sense.....she was never a good debater grin

...and here comes Ihedinobi,

Someone must be shyting in his pants... cool cool cool
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 2:23pm On May 08, 2013
striktlymi:

...and here comes Ihedinobi,

Someone must be shyting in his pants... cool cool cool

smh
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 2:28pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

smh

Lol!!!

#Don't worry, they are here for Bella...fear not!
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 3:12pm On May 08, 2013
JUST CUZ HE KNOWS ALL THINGS DOES NOT MEAN HE SHOULD RESTRICT YOUR CHOICES. HE KNOWS THE CHOICES YOU WOULD MAKE. SO FREEWILL WALKS HAND IN HAND WITH HIM KNOWING ALL THINGS. THERE IS NO CONTRADICTION HERE. I DONT SEE ANY CONTRADICTIONS.

3 Likes

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by PastorOluT(m): 3:48pm On May 08, 2013
alfaman3:

I don't need hope. Only the afflicted need hope.

The way I see it is that you do all this in hope that what you believe or don't believe rather, would be justified. YOU HOPE FOR YOUR LIFE TO HAVE A MEANING
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Bella3(f): 4:21pm On May 08, 2013
I guess i need prayers coz am entirely lost here.
Are you trying to say that God knows the future, bt at the same time isnt sure it'll come to pass? I dont know how an author can know how a story will end, at thesame time gives his characters freewill.
If God is omiscient, then he knows those destinied for hell.
I guess this isnt something you understand by mere common sense. Is there a particular verse that says God is omniscient? Thanks for all the humble replies, very much appreciated.

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: I guess i need prayers coz am entirely lost here.
Are you trying to say that God knows the future, bt at the same time isnt sure it'll come to pass? I dont know how an author can know how a story will end, at thesame time gives his characters freewill.
If God is omiscient, then he knows those destinied for hell.
I guess this isnt something you understand by mere common sense. Is there a particular verse that says God is omniscient? Thanks for all the humble replies, very much appreciated.

Good, Bella..........good.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Islamic Sharia Death Sentence On Kano 9, Is This Right? / This Is How The Church Will Look Like If Rapture Take Place On Sunday. / What Does It Mean When Aarons Rod Becomes A Serpent ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.