Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,930 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (50672 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by igbsam(m): 3:31pm On May 15, 2013
val_dee:

What is the name of the movie?

You think its a movie ? Why don't you take a trip down to owerri and find out. She's the Ada of the family that's why all this ridiculous amount was bestowed on my friend.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by 50calibre(m): 3:33pm On May 15, 2013
I can't pay more than 10k for a woman regardless of how much I have except her vagi*na is made of gold.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by spenx084(m): 3:33pm On May 15, 2013
[quote author=jeddyMay]In my family(Isoko Peeps), we usually return the bride price, take Say 100 or less to d oldest in our clan(if the wedding was not done in our home town or if the oldest person is nt in attendance) as a sign that their daughter was actually married properly.[/quo

Now that is my Isoko sister speaking.Omote Eveh? grin

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 15, 2013
Evestar200: @yomi,,igbo marriage bride price cost die mosly imo igbos
Na only them get girl? Them go rotten 4 house.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Lilimax(f): 3:34pm On May 15, 2013
ItsModella:
I have only one word to say "WTF?" undecided undecided[/color][/font]
This list differs from town to town.
Which town has this list?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:35pm On May 15, 2013
My nairalanders am a proud imo dude here am not married buh I want my wife bride price to b expensive dats where u wud value ur wife if una no get money to marry den stay shingle or u go idimu village near ikotun egbe go carry 1 mbeke Yoruba gurl for fwee cheesy d ones way keep face like WTF cheesy dey are d best becos winch no fit attark u for night b/cos if winch see her face dem go shawt WTF demon no dey attark demon and dey can't cheat on u cheesy I love my imo babes. IBO KWENU grin

13 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Cornel88(m): 3:36pm On May 15, 2013
Yomii: The most ridiculous bride prize i have ever had in my life was #2 grin That was when my friends elder sister got married to an Igbo Man. Now that my brother want to marry an igbo lady, they told him to bring #500,000
Your friends elder sister must be around her late 30's or early 40's. That is why she is very cheap. And probably that igbo girl must have finished her nysc, then the difference is clear.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by ifihear(m): 3:37pm On May 15, 2013
Evestar200: @yomi,,igbo marriage bride price cost die mosly imo igbos

Nice pic...nice smile on ur pic shocked
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Xaviers(m): 3:38pm On May 15, 2013
Itulah: The most shock and annoying bride price is that of Imo State, which a friend went and they ask him to pay #5million and he was begging them with 2million
. FOR A WIFE??

igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?

FOR A WIFE or THE FAMILY
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by bishop4life(m): 3:38pm On May 15, 2013
Janiobi: Come Anambra cime marry naa, U go over pay like CAPITAL LETTER MAD MAN. That place naa business zone.
No money
No marry
cheesy grin

wher in Anambra did u xperince dat? Or u just woke up wit dat assumption on ur head?
Anambra loves money...yes who doesnt?
They lik bussiness,but they seldom sell off thier family.no mata how much is involved a tru anambrarian will neva giv away his root.make inquiry

4 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by ifihear(m): 3:39pm On May 15, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?

Fabu..u tink say na kindargatten kids dey NL..guy abeg park well wit dis ur fabulele

3 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Truckpusher(m): 3:39pm On May 15, 2013
ItsModella: SECTION A : UMUADA (ALL KINDRED DAUGHTERS)

Wrappers and Blouses– (George/Hollandis/Nigerian Wax)
Jewelry – (Gold plated earings, necklaces)
Head ties and Shoes (Different types and colours)
Hand bags and wrist watches (Different types and colours)
Toiletries (Body creams, bathing soaps, washing detergents, etc.)
Beverages and food items
Cash gift (lump sum) –Ogwe ego
Drinks (Malt & Minerals)

SECTION B: NMANYA UKWU (BIG WINE) – KINSMEN (UMUNNA)

The items in this category will be shared amongst the heads of the extended family of the bride to be.
Bottles of Seaman’s Schnapps (millennium brand)
Kolanuts
Gallons of Palmwine
Cartons of Beer, Malt and Mineral drinks
Heads of Tobacco with potash
Rolls of cigarettes
1 goat
Cash gift (Lump sum) – Ego Umu’Nna

SECTION C: N’MEPE UZO (OPENING OF GATE) – GENERAL

30 tubers of Yam
2 bags of Rice
2 bags of Salt
2 cartons of Star Beer
2 cartons of Guinness Stout
2 cartons of Maltina
6 crates of Minerals
3 bottles of Seaman’s Schnapps (millennium brand)
30 bulbs of onions
1 gallon of red Palm oil (10 -25 litres)
1 gallon of Groundnut oil (25 litres)
A basin of Okporoko (Stockfish)
2 pieces of Goat leg (Ukwu Anu ewu)
25 loaves of Bread
1 carton of Tin Tomatoes
1 carton of Tin Milk
1 carton of Tablet soap
20 Pieces of Morning Rose powder
1 gallon of Kerosene
20 heads of Tobacco
10 packets of cigarettes
5 pieces of George/Hollandis/Nigerian Wax
3 pieces of Umbrella
1 Big Box (Apati)
2 Big Basins
2 pieces of Igbo Blouse
2 pieces of Headties
Gold necklaces and Wrist watches (minimum of 2 pieces)
1 piece of Lantern/Lamp
“Ikpo Onu Aku Nwayi” (Bride price) – Negotiable

OTHER CASH GIFTS THAT MAY BE DEMANDED DURING THE COURSE OF THE CEREMONY
“Ego nfotu ite” (cash to bring down symbolic cooking pot) – ₦ 1,000
“Ncha kishi udu” (Toasting of wine) – ₦ 1,000
“Ego Ogo cherem” (money for the inlaws) – ₦ 50,000
“Ego maternity” (money for future maternity) – ₦ 1,000
“Ego Onye Eze” (money for village chief) – ₦ 1,500
“Ogwe Ego” (lump sum) – ₦ 5,000

I saw this at http://www.namywedding.com/articles/8-the-igbo-traditional-wedding

I have only one word to say "WTF?" undecided undecided
Most at times the girls father and mother wouldn't demand for this stuffs you know ,it's usually those village cousins and uncles that makes matters worse and woe betides one's dad if he makes any move to stop them grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 15, 2013
Lilimax:
This list differs from town to town.
Which town has this list?
I don't know but that is definitely the most ridiculous bride price list I've ever seen, assuming it's real.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Xaviers(m): 3:39pm On May 15, 2013
goldfish80: I think its between Ngwa(Abia) and Mbaise(Imo)
In Mbaise they will offer you one of brides younger siblings to train from whatever level they are,to university level,after sucking your pocket dry from all long list of quite frankly Id.iotic demands.
Ngwa comes a distant 2nd,last time an uncle went to marry there,they demanded a laptop and a modem in addition to a 'ladies motorcycle' for the brides mum.crazie

Oboi! ♍y Ex was from Mbaise--'phew' ThnkG we broke up!!
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 15, 2013
Truckpusher: Most at times the girls father and mother wouldn't demand for this stuffs you know ,it's usually those village cousins and uncles that makes matters worse and woe betides one's dad if he makes any move to stop them grin grin grin
yes, the kinsmen no dey help matter for men like us grin grin grin
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 15, 2013
If I may ask, what is so special about this girl? The family must be suffering from poverty especially that of the mind.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Truckpusher(m): 3:42pm On May 15, 2013
ItsModella:
yes, the kinsmen no dey help matter for men like us grin grin grin
SMH
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:42pm On May 15, 2013
Telling lies would •̸№t help ur life!grin even if na Dangote d guy beahn ahn!! Small small!2005 benz ke!!
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by sylve11: 3:43pm On May 15, 2013
jeddyMay: In my family(Isoko Peeps), we usually return the bride price, take Say 100 or less to d oldest in our clan(if the wedding was not done in our home town or if the oldest person is nt in attendance) as a sign that their daughter was actually married properly.

I know exactly what u r talking about. cool
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by igbsam(m): 3:44pm On May 15, 2013
Ola Johnson:
If I may ask, what is so special about this girl? The family must be suffering from poverty especially that of the mind.
She's the Ada of the family and my friend met her during their masters. I guess its cos she's the first female graduate of her family.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by babe4chi(f): 3:45pm On May 15, 2013
50calibre:

Yeah maybe where you come from, it's not THAT high but it's high. Maybe other places in IMO charge 3-5 mill your place charges 2 mil

Trust me I have an uncle who married from mbaise, he spend nothing less than 4 mill
That's for d mbaise pple... I ve elder sisters nd I never heard any inlaw complain of the bride price... It wasn't high. Sm pple will be givin u guyz stories wich they knw its nt tru jus to hype theirself...
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by johnsonwax(m): 3:45pm On May 15, 2013
cheesy grin cheesy grin na wa ooo dem won buy nija use car ni
Yomii: The most ridiculous bride prize i have ever had in my life was #2 grin That was when my friends elder sister got married to an Igbo Man. Now that my brother want to marry an igbo lady, they told him to bring #500,000
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 15, 2013

your friend is a big MAGA. call me if he wants a second wife let me organise and take my share of the money miss road.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by okolichibuzor(m): 3:47pm On May 15, 2013
am sorry to say dis.. Most states in south east do sell their daughters. Especially abia state and imo state people. There is this traditional marriage i attended in abia state.... The man spent all most 5million.... Bt later the family people of his wife where saying that the man have to buy a walking sick for one old man like dat if nt they will nt take the wife home to his own house tht the walking sick cost 20k. Then the man was annioned to xtent dat he told them tht he will pay on one condition dat they are selling there daughter to him... Thee young man payed..... Later, the wife of the man gave birth to the 1st issue... As an ibo custom and tradition the wife 's mother should come for an ormugu.... The day the mother came de man refuse... He was telling the mother dt they sold their duaghter to him..... Till today noting has been don for it... The family want to take their duagther back yet de man noted dat de family mas to pay in hundred foldes nw the man's wife has dkids and wife is late yet during the burial of her wfe the husband refuse the wife's people to attend the buarial........ U cn image tht
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Truckpusher(m): 3:47pm On May 15, 2013
50calibre: I can't pay more than 10k for a woman regardless of how much I have except her vagi*na is made of gold.
grin grin grin grin Lmao...50 you badt...
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by zeal22(m): 3:54pm On May 15, 2013
If you want to marry an ibo girl, just give her belle sharp sharp. No more bills! grin

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by sylve11: 3:55pm On May 15, 2013
babe4chi: That's for d mbaise pple... I ve elder sisters nd I never heard any inlaw complain of the bride price... It wasn't high. Sm pple will be givin u guyz stories wich they knw its nt tru jus to hype theirself...

They take up to that, Babe4chi. Have witnessed it myself. . . .i personally ended an affair cos of that ridiculous bride prize. Those ppl are not happy when it comes to Bride prize affair. cool
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:56pm On May 15, 2013
goldfish80: I think its between Ngwa(Abia) and Mbaise(Imo)
In Mbaise they will offer you one of brides younger siblings to train from whatever level they are,to university level,after sucking your pocket dry from all long list of quite frankly Id.iotic demands.
Ngwa comes a distant 2nd,last time an uncle went to marry there,they demanded a laptop and a modem in addition to a 'ladies motorcycle' for the brides mum.crazie

In my village in Enugu state, if you bring home an Mbaise girl your family will disown you. grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by ChEkWaSIyKe(f): 3:56pm On May 15, 2013

Lie lie.. Be sincere to urself. Apart frm Imo State I hv been hearing dat collect 100 tubers of Yam if am correct, which state collect 500,000? Tel us
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by bishop4life(m): 3:57pm On May 15, 2013
babe4chi: U guyz re jus screamin IMO state!!! Its nt evry people in imo dat charges high... Where I cum frm,its nt high...

where is that and lik how much
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by abifoluwa: 3:57pm On May 15, 2013
so what happens when they divorce? sad undecided
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 15, 2013
30DB4FA6: u are a muntular du u know hw much d man don spend for him daughter? School fees and feeding from day1 no b beans bros forget ooo the guy way go marry ma younga sister if him nor get 1.5milla make him go marry anoda person cos I know my father struggle to train her ( ˘˘̯)

outdated stupid mentality.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Hilarious "ISHAN" Adage And Their Meanings / Oba Of Lagos Refuses To Shake Ooni Of Ife (video) / Drama At Ooni’s Palace: Wives, Children Barred From Ooni’s Burial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.