Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,047 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (50698 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by habayommy: 7:52pm On May 15, 2013
What about the Hausas or Fulanis' bride price? I really want τo know.
Is true that if u want τo marry a Fulani lady, you wud Ђavε τo receive some lashes of koboko
undecided
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by slyk2(m): 7:56pm On May 15, 2013
But i married in Owerri North LGA, sincerely the kindred does not collect bride price!
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Evestar200(f): 7:57pm On May 15, 2013
blink182: you think that of URHOBO is strange, wait until you hear that of the Itsekiris.
abeg tell me abt Itsekriri own
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by nedu2000(m): 7:59pm On May 15, 2013
BarryX: check the prices
so if. I want to marry a short fat gal with tummy,its her family that'll pay me grin

4 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 15, 2013
Interesting.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Ishilove: 8:01pm On May 15, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?
I don't believe this story
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by ThoniaSlim(f): 8:05pm On May 15, 2013
I'm from Akwa Ibom and I remember when my cousin got married, the bride price was N5000 and everything on the list wasn't up to a N100,000.

(And most of the requests on the list were made by greedy village relatives)

Btw she's a doctor and was trained in the UK.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Evestar200(f): 8:08pm On May 15, 2013
if_i_hear:

Nice pic...nice smile on ur pic shocked
thanks
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by chikk(f): 8:12pm On May 15, 2013
Hmmmmm..... Abeg, if you feel Igbo girls are very expensive to marry, try SHUWA girls.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by dulphines: 8:15pm On May 15, 2013
Yomii:
If this is how this bride price of a thing will continue, most expecially from our Igbo babes, then it is their father that will marry them.
My advice to every young man like me, once you discover that the parent of the babe want to sell her to you, just pack your shoe and cut out... Don't even waist time at all. When she grow old for house, they will give her out for free.

You mean we should not waste time on such bargain?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 15, 2013
Itulah: The most shock and annoying bride price is that of Imo State, which a friend went and they ask him to pay #5million and he was begging them with 2million
big lie
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 8:33pm On May 15, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?

The only ridiculous ish here is you not knowing how to fabricate a stuupid lie.. Try again

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 15, 2013
I'm from mbaise pls.I agree some ppl have a way of charging high bride prices,not every family is like that.poor ppl get married everyday.every single day.with barely much money.many of my aunts are married and they didn't fleece the husbands for bride price,it all depends on the family of the bride.the literacy and compassion of the parents.and the their ability to stand firm and say no to greedy kinsmen.cos mostimes those unnecessary things on the list are placed by wicked kinsmen who'd rather see the young lady grow old in the house than happily married.so young men,go out their and marry.mbaise is a place u get smart,loyal and industrous women.don't let stories scare u away.
I'm single.on the verge of accepting a marriage proposal from my sweetheart.well all I can say is that bride price can never be a barrier to our love.fullstop!

3 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 15, 2013
Itulah: The most shock and annoying bride price is that of Imo State, which a friend went and they ask him to pay #5million and he was begging them with 2million
Jeez,I'm like wat tha Phuck?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 15, 2013
lorretta u: big lie
lorretta u: big lie
dulphines:

You mean we should not waste time on such bargain?
i believe her,i no sm1 dat went 2 mary 4rm orlu in imo and was askd 2 pay 5million,can u imagine?

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 9:08pm On May 15, 2013
powerblaze: The most annoying part is.. You are not even paying for a virgin! After paying all that amount of money and during honeymoon you find out her honeywell has been well 'serviced', how will you feel?
When you see a man standing on a hotel balcony, his hand supporting his chin, you know something ugly was revealed during the nite! cheesy;
what's this dumb mallam talking about.in most cases you're marrying a girl you've dated for a while.you've serviced the so called honey pot countless times and when it's time to marry,u remember she not a virgin.I don't blame the people who want to milk folks like u dry.ur selfishness oozes from a distance.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 15, 2013
The most ridiculous i've heard is #300,000. Dats in kogi state, one olamaboro local govt. We were told dat there are diff class of the bride price depending on the educational level of the bride. She's a university graduate, so dats why my uncle was asked to pay dat much. Although it is negotiatable
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by InvertedHammer: 9:23pm On May 15, 2013

//
That's why you should knock her up first.

Then you hold all the aces.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Tinyemeka(m): 9:25pm On May 15, 2013
991: Somewhere called Ngwo in Enugu state, my friends in-laws told him to buy 75 crates of beer.
are they planning to open a beer parlor or what??
LOL. Nigerian Breweries have their Greenfield plant in Ngwo. Guess the indigenes in the area have gotten used to excess beer. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Tinyemeka(m): 9:36pm On May 15, 2013

BLOODY LIAR!!! For them to have demanded all those, it must have been based on the impression he created about his financial status. Saying that he went and borrowed to buy a car for his father-in-law does not then add up. Your story does not hold water.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by rossete2020(f): 9:40pm On May 15, 2013
not ridiculous bt the best
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by AngelEbi(f): 9:49pm On May 15, 2013
timpaker:
Mbaise bride price na die!!!! U pay higher if d bride is graduate and u pay highest if she is a medical doctor or a pharmacist...
I and my friend ran away... Finally, Tiv (benue state is cheaper) lured us over with just 10k. Can u beat that? Na dia I dey target now but work no go gree persin. Mtcheeew!
Its a lie, I'm frm Mbaise n my family just collected one thousand frm d stack of moni my husband brought.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 9:59pm On May 15, 2013
*Kails*:
2 cents. (US)

Thats what 190 offered to pay for flytefallz hand in marriage. angry angry
angry... I have learnt some words on nl; thunder fire you!
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by ManOfThePeople(m): 10:01pm On May 15, 2013
na wao. 5m brideprice.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by critique101(f): 10:04pm On May 15, 2013

Why is. The guyansweringthem?

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Tinyemeka(m): 10:19pm On May 15, 2013
lorretta u: I'm from mbaise pls.I agree some ppl have a way of charging high bride prices,not every family is like that.

Ole nga owu na Mbaise?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by critique101(f): 10:23pm On May 15, 2013
I'm ibo and. I can tellyou that the amount of brideprice paid depends on:
1. The way the groom carries himself. I'd you pretend to be over boxed, they Will tax you.
2. The bride. Shewill definitely see. Thelist. Can't shetell them to remove the excess? Unless she. is equally greedy and selfish.
3. Educational background of parents. if they r illitetates based in d village,u go hearam.

Before marriage, do your homework. In most cases, its the gal that tellsher parents that the man has money so out of greed,they plan to chop him

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 10:24pm On May 15, 2013

easy bro, there is no where in Imo state where they will ask for 2M bride price. no be for my own imo state
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by overdrive(m): 10:29pm On May 15, 2013
SamConquer: Idoma Girls From Benue Are Among The Best People You Can Get Married To...Bride Price Cheap,Wife Get Sense...That Is You pay Less For More
Bros helep me book and reserve two for me make them no finish by d time I ready. grin

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by rezzy: 10:34pm On May 15, 2013
Who says isoko bride price is #120? It depends on the family. When my cousin did her's last dec, the guy paid #15k because he is from kwala, my sister's husband is asked to pay #5k because is an isoko guy, now its my turn, my fiance is ask to pay #40k because he is yoruba but its negotiable. Everything on the list is close to #250k (clothes, shoes, walking stick, hat, hair tie for parents, clothes for siblings, money for parents, relatives, uncles, aunties, money for certificate, 10 cartons of assorted drinks, the bride's box with orisirisi inside). The annoying thing is that my daddy said we cant go to church the same day. We are still begging him to agreed cos everyother elders in the family have agreed except him.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Abagworo(m): 10:51pm On May 15, 2013
rezzy: Who says isoko bride price is #120? It depends on the family. When my cousin did her's last dec, the guy paid #15k because he is from kwala, my sister's husband is asked to pay #5k because is an isoko guy, now its my turn, my fiance is ask to pay #40k because he is yoruba but its negotiable. Everything on the list is close to #250k (clothes, shoes, walking stick, hat, hair tie for parents, clothes for siblings, money for parents, relatives, uncles, aunties, money for certificate, 10 cartons of assorted drinks, the bride's box with orisirisi inside). The annoying thing is that my daddy said we cant go to church the same day. We are still begging him to agreed cos everyother elders in the family have agreed except him.

Thanks for being real. The marriage of people that inhabit Delta, Igbo and all the way to Cross River are similar with very little differences. Like in my hometown, weddings are done at night while in some other parts of Igboland, it is a daytime event. Bride price is mostly for the sake of formality and ranges from 100Naira to 10,000Naira but the problem is in what we call list which is entirely different from bride price. All the weddings I've ever witnessed usually climaxes with the father returning the bride price and proclaiming not selling his daughter. Even in Bayelsa, I witnessed exactly same thing. The difference I noticed with Igbo is that the bride is usually considered virgin and has her face and body covered while in Igbo she comes out kind of half nude.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 10:58pm On May 15, 2013
ItsModella: SECTION A : UMUADA (ALL KINDRED DAUGHTERS)

Wrappers and Blouses– (George/Hollandis/Nigerian Wax)
Jewelry – (Gold plated earings, necklaces)
Head ties and Shoes (Different types and colours)
Hand bags and wrist watches (Different types and colours)
Toiletries (Body creams, bathing soaps, washing detergents, etc.)
Beverages and food items
Cash gift (lump sum) –Ogwe ego
Drinks (Malt & Minerals)

SECTION B: NMANYA UKWU (BIG WINE) – KINSMEN (UMUNNA)

The items in this category will be shared amongst the heads of the extended family of the bride to be.
Bottles of Seaman’s Schnapps (millennium brand)
Kolanuts
Gallons of Palmwine
Cartons of Beer, Malt and Mineral drinks
Heads of Tobacco with potash
Rolls of cigarettes
1 goat
Cash gift (Lump sum) – Ego Umu’Nna

SECTION C: N’MEPE UZO (OPENING OF GATE) – GENERAL

30 tubers of Yam
2 bags of Rice
2 bags of Salt
2 cartons of Star Beer
2 cartons of Guinness Stout
2 cartons of Maltina
6 crates of Minerals
3 bottles of Seaman’s Schnapps (millennium brand)
30 bulbs of onions
1 gallon of red Palm oil (10 -25 litres)
1 gallon of Groundnut oil (25 litres)
A basin of Okporoko (Stockfish)
2 pieces of Goat leg (Ukwu Anu ewu)
25 loaves of Bread
1 carton of Tin Tomatoes
1 carton of Tin Milk
1 carton of Tablet soap
20 Pieces of Morning Rose powder
1 gallon of Kerosene
20 heads of Tobacco
10 packets of cigarettes
5 pieces of George/Hollandis/Nigerian Wax
3 pieces of Umbrella
1 Big Box (Apati)
2 Big Basins
2 pieces of Igbo Blouse
2 pieces of Headties
Gold necklaces and Wrist watches (minimum of 2 pieces)
1 piece of Lantern/Lamp
“Ikpo Onu Aku Nwayi” (Bride price) – Negotiable

OTHER CASH GIFTS THAT MAY BE DEMANDED DURING THE COURSE OF THE CEREMONY
“Ego nfotu ite” (cash to bring down symbolic cooking pot) – ₦ 1,000
“Ncha kishi udu” (Toasting of wine) – ₦ 1,000
“Ego Ogo cherem” (money for the inlaws) – ₦ 50,000
“Ego maternity” (money for future maternity) – ₦ 1,000
“Ego Onye Eze” (money for village chief) – ₦ 1,500
“Ogwe Ego” (lump sum) – ₦ 5,000

I saw this at http://www.namywedding.com/articles/8-the-igbo-traditional-wedding

I have only one word to say "WTF?" undecided undecided

This is similar to the List given to me during my Trado wedding in Anam,Anambra.The Bride price was about 50K but reduced to 15k but the contents in the list complete no reduction no abeg.I spent about 500k.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Oba Of Lagos Refuses To Shake Ooni Of Ife (video) / Hilarious "ISHAN" Adage And Their Meanings / Drama At Ooni’s Palace: Wives, Children Barred From Ooni’s Burial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.