Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (50735 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by holuphisayor(m): 4:03pm On May 15, 2013
A man was told to pay a bride price of #50 but couldn't even pay that amount. His frend later helped him out. Lwkmd
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 4:04pm On May 15, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?

Tell your friend to cut the babe open wit a knife. I presume there must be hidden treasures in the likes of gold and diamonds for her family to be making such outrageous demands...

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Policewoman(f): 4:04pm On May 15, 2013
Evestar200: The most ridiculous bride price have heard,, is of the Urhobo nd Esan poeple which pay #10 and #24 as their bride price, because they said they do not 'sell their women.

Esan people even return the bride price money to the groom's people after the marriage because they do not sell their girls.
MBAISE IN IMO STATE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE. They grade their brides in 4 categories:
1. ILLITERATE
2. SCHOOL CERTIFICATE
3. GRADUATE
4. MASTERS AND ABOVE

Each has their different price tags. For example the graduate can cost you as much as 600k to 1m. smiley
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by hardbody: 4:04pm On May 15, 2013
Evestar200: @yomi,,igbo marriage bride price cost die mosly imo igbos

I am igbo from Arochukwu in Abia state. our daughters go for N25.25k. It has never changed and will never change. That tradition came from when 25 pounds was big money but today we still give out at N25.25k. Ask around and you will confirm.

When you guys generalize the way you do, i tend to think we have a lot of immature people around this forum. It is sickening.

By the way, our bride price negotiation commences in the open with the parents asking for as high as millions (just forthe fun of it). Some will even tell you that you will be in dollars, pounds or euros. Later the family of the bride and groom are asked to go and negotiate inside and come out. By the time they come out, the parents of the lady (or their reps) will clarify that their forbears did not tell them to accept such high prices, rather that they have been accepting N25.25 kobo in line with tradition. It is after that that the family of the groom will pay the N25.25 and show appreciation with a bottle of hot drink. I attend this festivities every December and it is usually fun

3 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 15, 2013
okoli chibuzor: am sorry to say dis.. Most states in south east do sell their daughters. Especially abia state and imo state people. There is this traditional marriage i attended in abia state.... The man spent all most 5million.... Bt later the family people of his wife where saying that the man have to buy a walking sick for one old man like dat if nt they will nt take the wife home to his own house tht the walking sick cost 20k. Then the man was annioned to xtent dat he told them tht he will pay on one condition dat they are selling there daughter to him... Thee young man payed..... Later, the wife of the man gave birth to the 1st issue... As an ibo custom and tradition the wife 's mother should come for an ormugu.... The day the mother came de man refuse... He was telling the mother dt they sold their duaghter to him..... Till today noting has been don for it... The family want to take their duagther back yet de man noted dat de family mas to pay in hundred foldes nw the man's wife has dkids and wife is late yet during the burial of her wfe the husband refuse the wife's people to attend the buarial........ U cn image tht
It seems this guy wrote in Latin. Can someone pls translate to English?

4 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 15, 2013
BarryX: check the prices
Haba! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 15, 2013
30DB4FA6: My nairalanders am a proud imo dude here am not married buh I want my wife bride price to b expensive dats where u wud value ur wife if una no get money to marry den stay shingle or u go idimu village near ikotun egbe go carry 1 mbeke Yoruba gurl for fwee cheesy d ones way keep face like WTF cheesy dey are d best becos winch no fit attark u for night b/cos if winch see her face dem go shawt WTF demon no dey attark demon and dey can't cheat on u cheesy I love my imo babes. IBO KWENU grin

no wonder churches in imo state are filled with single ladies praying for husband year after year.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by dagentility(f): 4:09pm On May 15, 2013
Anyway bread and coconut,my mum told me dats her bride price,like seriously.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by bisi16(m): 4:10pm On May 15, 2013
if e pass my anambra, i'd rather remain single. my town, awka, bride price is N800. imo state dey cut neck. run from anythng "mba"..
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by donwilz(m): 4:13pm On May 15, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?
Take am easy dey lie o.. God dey punish little lies like this.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by inme: 4:13pm On May 15, 2013

DEM JAZZZ YOUR FRIEND, THIS ONE WEY I DEY READ KNO BE CLEAR EYE
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by hardbody: 4:15pm On May 15, 2013
holuphisayor: A man was told to pay a bride price of #50 but couldn't even pay that amount. His frend later helped him out. Lwkmd

Can you get real? you have been lying all over this thread. Do not say things you do not know just for the fun of it, else amadioha will strike you down.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by hardbody: 4:16pm On May 15, 2013
Policewoman: MBAISE IN IMO STATE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE. They grade their brides in 4 categories:
1. ILLITERATE
2. SCHOOL CERTIFICATE
3. GRADUATE
4. MASTERS AND ABOVE

Each has their different price tags. For example the graduate can cost you as much as 600k to 1m. smiley

I have heard that story , and i have no way of verifying it. As a matter of fact, my people prefer to marry from within so it just does not matter to us.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by goldfish80(m): 4:19pm On May 15, 2013
hardbody:

I am igbo from Arochukwu in Abia state. our daughters go for N25.25k. It has never changed and will never change. That tradition came from when 25 pounds was big money but today we still give out at N25.25k. Ask around and you will confirm.

When you guys generalize the way you do, i tend to think we have a lot of immature people around this forum. It is sickening
Bros park well,the N25 bride price doesn't tell the full story.When you consider items written down in the list such as Jorge,25 cartons of beer or more,cartons of malt,rolls of ciggarete,utaba,cartons of Soap,gift items to umuada,youths,iyom Aro,memebers of the brides clan etc etc... There goes your N25 theory lol
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by 50calibre(m): 4:21pm On May 15, 2013
Truckpusher: grin grin grin grin Lmao...50 you badt...

Haha! We are no longer in slave trade era where people are bought outright. Why should I pay for a wife as if I'm buying her.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by SlyIg(f): 4:22pm On May 15, 2013
ItsModella:
yes, the kinsmen no dey help matter for men like us grin grin grin
Sorry to ask pls, but when did you turn to a MALE! I've always known you to be female. What happened?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by ehiblessing(f): 4:23pm On May 15, 2013
80 tubers of yam, I bag of beans, 1 bag of rice 100 thousand 4 bride price, 2 sets of provisions for d girls family and brides mother 20litres of oil 1 bag of salt, about 17 cartons of beer. I went 4 a wedding at owerri and that was d bride price list.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 15, 2013
Telthetruth: please peruse the list below.
Is this for real? shocked lipsrsealed grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Ribaman(m): 4:24pm On May 15, 2013
kels on point: grin

Comot here joor!
This one an joke!
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by oyin50(f): 4:24pm On May 15, 2013
Do these high-milking families refund the bride price in the event of divorce .
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Policewoman(f): 4:24pm On May 15, 2013
SlyIg:
Sorry to ask pls, but when did you turn to a MALE! I've always known you to be female. What happened?
I was wondering the same. Either she is male or a TRANS.EXUAL.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 15, 2013
Mercy-u:
Do u guys prefer where u will get 24 slokes of cane?lol
I'm beginning to reason this. I no wan chop koboko.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Abrakhan: 4:25pm On May 15, 2013
grin
Foxy_Vista:

[size=20pt]Not at all.... Your friend na MUMU!!![/size]
grin
Foxy_Vista:
[size=20pt]Not at all.... Your friend na MUMU!!![/size]
all these for........ Na wawo
..Wetin make this woman expensive like that....lol
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 4:26pm On May 15, 2013
SlyIg:
I'm just messing around grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by oyin50(f): 4:27pm On May 15, 2013
[b][/b]
babe4chi: U guyz re jus screamin IMO state!!! Its nt evry people in imo dat CHARGES high... Where I cum frm,its nt high...
grin grin grin grin grin@ charges.....sound like a market trade.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by blesszzy(m): 4:27pm On May 15, 2013
So its true,
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Lilimax(f): 4:27pm On May 15, 2013
SlyIg:
Me too oo. I wanted to ask her/him but I reserved my comment.
I am a female and am very proud of my sexuality smiley cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by EMMABC1(m): 4:28pm On May 15, 2013
Yomii: The most ridiculous bride prize i have ever had in my life was #2 grin That was when my friends elder sister got married to an Igbo Man. Now that my brother want to marry an igbo lady, they told him to bring #500,000
You know it that u just told lies just to discredit a tribe u hate. Can u tell me the place in Igboland where bp is 500k and also d place in yorubaland where bp is #2. In Igbo land, bride price in most places are not fixed, rather d suitor is asked to pay whatever he wishes. In some other parts, it's fixed but very very minimal. It cud be 2k, 5k or 10k.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Lilimax(f): 4:28pm On May 15, 2013
ItsModella:
I'm just messing around grin grin
Don't you think one should be proud of his/her sexuality smiley smiley wink?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 15, 2013
Lilimax:
Don't you think one should be proud of his/her sexuality smiley smiley wink?
haba!! like I said earlier, I'm just messing around, it's nothing major.

3 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by holuphisayor(m): 4:34pm On May 15, 2013
hardbody:

Can you get real? you have been lying all over this thread. Do not say things you do not know just for the fun of it, else amadioha will strike you down.
I forgot to tell u am actually referring to ur brother,next time dnt use swear words against me. Is that clear 'meanie'.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by talk2vic: 4:35pm On May 15, 2013
Yomii:
If this is how this bride price of a thing will continue, most expecially from our Igbo babes, then it is their father that will marry them.
My advice to every young man like me, once you discover that the parent of the babe want to sell her to you, just pack your shoe and cut out... Don't even waist time at all. When she grow old for house, they will give her out for free.

i wont waste time at all undecided

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures / Oba Of Lagos Refuses To Shake Ooni Of Ife (video) / Chidinma Or Chidimma?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.