Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,019 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Army Blockades Boko Haram Base - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Blockades Boko Haram Base (29941 Views)

Niger Air Force Bombs Boko Haram Base, Arrests 20 / Nigeria Soldiers Sealed Up Cameroon Border, Surronds Boko Haram Base in Krenuwa / Boko Haram Base Found In North Cameroun! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 19, 2013
Move comes amid major offensive in three northeastern states against group seeking to create Islamic state.

Nigerian soldiers have blocked roads out of a key northeastern city to deprive Boko Haram fighters of supplies in remote towns they control, the army has said.

The military said on Sunday that its offensive against the group, which followed a declaration of a state of emergency in three northeastern states, was aimed at re-establishing Nigeria's "territorial integrity".

The assault on Boko Haram, which has said it wants to create an Islamic state, included air strikes on strongholds in remote parts of northeastern Borno state, and has spread to the state capital Maiduguri, the fighters' traditional home base.

Residents said on Sunday the base had been blockaded.

"There is a huge build-up of trucks loaded with essential commodities... along the Baga road on the way out of Maiduguri to the northern part of the state," said Ibrahim Yahaya.

"The drivers said they have been prevented by the military from going northward," he told the AFP news agency by email.

'Run out of supplies'

The phone network in Borno has all but collapsed since president Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday declared a state of emergency there and in two neighbouring states, Adamawa and Yobe.

Chris Olukolade, a defence spokesman, said in a statement on Saturday that fighters on the run were scrambling for key supplies like fuel. He urged residents to report anyone trying to buy large quantities of fuel.

The supply shortage has begun to bite in the town of Gomboru Ngala, on the border with Cameroon, where some Borno residents have fled to escape the air raids.

"Trucks bringing in goods from Maiduguri have ceased since last week," said resident Grema Babagoni. He said the supply shortage has pushed prices up by as much as 25 percent.

"If the blockade continues for some time we may completely run out of supplies," he told AFP.

On Saturday the army declared a 24-hour curfew in a dozen neighbourhoods of Maiduguri, Boko Haram's stronghold.

The curfew in the main city in Borno state came as soldiers continued the government's emergency campaign against fighters in the region on Saturday.

A defence spokesman also said the military had seized stockpiles of weapons including rocket-propelled grenades, guns and ammunition from areas around Maiduguri.

Boko Haram has carried out scores of attacks in recent years, and has become emboldened and better armed in recent months.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2013/05/2013519122043632403.html
Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 19, 2013
Evidence that the Nigerian army when on their best behavior ,and while respecting civilian life , are one of the best in Africa.

37 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by AK481(m): 5:08pm On May 19, 2013
Omo our soldiers are second to the usa.our soldiers dey try o

6 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by moderatorr: 5:41pm On May 19, 2013
the nigerian army has never lost a war.

21 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by brownlord: 5:59pm On May 19, 2013
Good one boys,just make the journey quick for those animals to go get their 72 virgins

33 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by ebucha: 6:30pm On May 19, 2013
Army job = hurting people you,ve never known!well, killing'em all.

1 Like

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 19, 2013
HOPE ALL DIX GOOD STORIES THAT AM HEARING IS TRUE

2 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by kennyonthrone(m): 6:33pm On May 19, 2013
No where 2 run,no where 2 hide its operation kill d damn boko ram boiz

4 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by blueheart(m): 6:34pm On May 19, 2013
So far, so good. Hope itz resolved as quickly as possible
Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Smartlife(m): 6:35pm On May 19, 2013
Dis Boko boys go fear. Dem go see military hand

2 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 19, 2013
Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by YOUNGKAHUNA: 6:35pm On May 19, 2013
That's Good. Cut Supplies And They'll Starve To Death.

2 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by strangest(m): 6:36pm On May 19, 2013
BH will be gone by June

1 Like

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Gabbito44: 6:36pm On May 19, 2013
Jtf kill all d blood sockers

2 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 19, 2013
The days of Boko boys are definitely numbered, I'm really impressed with the Nigeria Army, one cannot but feel for the innocent civilians who ll have to endure hardship for only God knows when. If that's the price to pay to restore back the slogan of Borno State 'Home of Peace', then I think its worth it

23 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by emmajarule: 6:37pm On May 19, 2013
Kill dem all, dats all
Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by peleson: 6:37pm On May 19, 2013
moderatorr:
the nigerian army has never lost a war.
Good to know! Really war against other nations unites a country more. UP NA
They should go and fight Russia smiley then will be more united..
Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by omiobo: 6:37pm On May 19, 2013
haxan919: HOPE ALL DIX GOOD STORIES THAT AM HEARING IS TRUE
thomas! Go there and confirm.

20 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 19, 2013
While this move is on, I think combing the area periodically would save time and put them at advantage rather than waiting for them to come out, with an offensive also. undecided

1 Like

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Tajolo(m): 6:38pm On May 19, 2013
Kudos to Nigerian Army, just make sure care is taken to prevent civilian casualty.
Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 19, 2013
I like the word blockade. It's a time tested war strategy. grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by jeffizy(m): 6:38pm On May 19, 2013
I cant find any of shekau's youtube comments again.

The end is imminent for the bufoon!

I hope gold-circle will give him discount on his way to the No 72, virgin island, Hell estate

10 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by matrixme(m): 6:39pm On May 19, 2013
I am sharing this update to appreciate the strong men of the Nigerian Army who are risking their lives to confront the forces of hate, intolerance and tyranny, up north our dear nation. Remember there is strength in valour. Better we died for some good cause than we lived, enslaved by pleasure. I commend you to the good God!

6 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 19, 2013
Abeg make all these our soldiers no kill innocent civilians join oh...
Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by idugbe(m): 6:39pm On May 19, 2013
Starve them and let's see how they will have the strength to go and hustle those 'imaginary' virgins in the after life.
Mtscheeeew! Boko Baggers!

1 Like

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by okosodo: 6:39pm On May 19, 2013
Take no prisoners. Shoot two of their eyes and let them go free

2 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Cruxxy(m): 6:39pm On May 19, 2013
Find them and fish them out no matter where they are hiding. Enough is enough

1 Like

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by rexfada(m): 6:40pm On May 19, 2013
I just thank God for the safety of my colleague and I. We just sneaked out of a remote village (not far from the border) in Yobe state where we went to work for a construction company from PH. The state as a whole is now a ghost state, nothing serious is really happening apart from the heavy military presence there. We are now close to Bauchi, will soon enter Jos, where we'll spend the night then continue our journey back to ph first thing moro.

10 Likes

Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by kacheezy: 6:41pm On May 19, 2013
frosbel: Evidence that the Nigerian army when on their best behavior ,and while respecting civilian life , are one of the best in Africa.
Evidence? What evidence?
Re: Army Blockades Boko Haram Base by Maxymilliano(m): 6:41pm On May 19, 2013
Impressive!!! I hope the effort is stepped up to force those unrepentant virgin hunters to give up the chase, rather than losing out on both side.

23 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Donald Duke's Daughters Pictured At The Beach Having Fun With Friends / Tinubu In Abeokuta To Meet With Obasanjo / Photos From The Mass Burial Of 40 Victims Of Southern Kaduna Terrorist Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.