Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,341 members, 7,822,612 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? (11538 Views)

Reasons For Outsourcing Your Accounting Functions Part2 / Reasons For Outsourcing Your Accounting Functions / Affiliate Marketing - A Gold Mine Untapped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Jeezuzpick(m): 11:09pm On May 25, 2013
Outsourcing jobs like web design, Engineering and Architectural design, research, technical report writing, software development / solutions, graphic design, etc requires seriousness and self training. I'm interested, but feel I'm not yet ready.
Still working on myself...
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by chucky234(m): 9:43am On May 26, 2013
Fhemmmy: Yes, Nigeria is so much ready to be tapped and money be made from that nation BUT:
1. The common need to make a business grow is not there yet - Light, security and attitude.
2. The Nigerian youth are not really ready, they have play for too long with Mama and Papa, and they have been involved with too much easy way of making money that i am not sure they are ready to use their strength to make money

Cost of running a generator alone will kill a lot of business or at least reduce your margin of profit.

With these been said, Nigeria is still a place where one can make good money if you are persistence and ready to tough it out.
You ship cars to Naija monthly and sell to gullible Nigerians at exubetant rates yet the security and electricity didnt stops you,stop yapping nonsense and encourage people to do business in Nigeria.
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by chucky234(m): 9:55am On May 26, 2013
Outsourcing is a profitable business in Nigeria,I have outsourced sesame seeds for companies in Turkey and China and I made few millions from 3 sales.
If you have the right source of getting the required products/produce then the sky is the limit.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by AbuMikey(m): 7:28pm On May 26, 2013
Yes yes yes yes yes yes
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by exago(m): 9:24am On May 27, 2013
mukina2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HebVrYwh6H4

Africa's most populous nation should be the most favourable business location for most north american countries, because of her official language, being English and her diverse cultures.

Are Nigerian youths eager to work, to learn and to engage in outsourcing from other countries?

Is Nigeria a goldmine for genuine business investors?

Should Nigerians in the diaspora come back to develop and invest?

You only need to see the industry that are already thriving with all the challenges around us, just some little encouragement will push times further, aside from the incident in Bangladesh their figures are worth mentioning:

The textile and clothing (T&C) industries provide the single source of economic growth in Bangladesh's rapidly developing economy.[1] Exports of textiles and garments are the principal source of foreign exchange earnings. By 2002 exports of textiles, clothing, and ready-made garments (RMG) accounted for 77% of Bangladesh’s total merchandise exports. By 2013, about 4 million people, mostly women, worked in Bangladesh's $19 billion-a-year industry, export-oriented ready-made garment (RMG) industry. Sixty percent of the export contracts of western brands are with European buyers and about forty percent with American buyers. Only 5% of textile factories are owned by foreign investors, with most of the production being controlled by local investors.

source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangladesh_textile_industry
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 4:27pm On May 27, 2013
I was hoping for some good dialogue, but the thread has turned to another Nigeria better pass ghana . . .
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 4:29pm On May 27, 2013
chucky234: You ship cars to Naija monthly and sell to gullible Nigerians at exubetant rates yet the security and electricity didnt stops you,stop yapping nonsense and encourage people to do business in Nigeria.

Interesting to read this from someone like you, but as always, i wont go into bashing people . . . Nigeria is not a bad place but is she anywhere close to her potential?
BTW, Do i sell phones to Gullible people too . . . Cos you have bought before or wanted to buy?
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by AjanleKoko: 4:33pm On May 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Interesting to read this from someone like you, but as always, i wont go into bashing people . . . Nigeria is not a bad place but is she anywhere close to her potential?

I actually agree with him. I would not have been as harsh but then you are being hypocritical.
If you can sell cars in Nigeria, why can't you do other business, or encourage others to do business in Nigeria?

All this talk about potential is just nothing but baloney. Meanwhile Indians and Chinese are in the country hustling. I pay 5k for a Chinese teacher to teach my son the language once a week at home. He travels halfway across Lagos for 5k. If it was a Nigerian, he'd be expecting something like 20k for the same service, citing 'infrastructure problems' as his excuse.
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 4:39pm On May 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I actually agree with him. I would not have been as harsh but then you are being hypocritical.
If you can sell cars in Nigeria, why can't you do other business, or encourage others to do business in Nigeria?

All this talk about potential is just nothing but baloney. Meanwhile Indians and Chinese are in the country hustling. I pay 5k for a Chinese teacher to teach my son the language once a week at home. He travels halfway across Lagos for 5k. If it was a Nigerian, he'd be expecting something like 20k for the same service, citing 'infrastructure problems' as his excuse.

I think we are moving from the topic here . . . And if you read my first comment well, you will probably see where i am coming from . . . Nigeria has the ability to make things happen, and now as a business man, would you set up an outsourcing coy in Nigeria . . . please dont say yes, all cos you are a Nigerian.
Let us dialogue and have fun doing so
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by AjanleKoko: 4:49pm On May 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I think we are moving from the topic here . . . And if you read my first comment well, you will probably see where i am coming from . . . Nigeria has the ability to make things happen, and now as a business man, would you set up an outsourcing coy in Nigeria . . . please dont say yes, all cos you are a Nigerian

Yes, yes, and yes.
Not because I am a Nigerian. Nigerians are already educated, native English speakers, their time zone is at par with Europe, and closer to North America than that of the Indians.

We have a young, trainable population that can easily rival or better the Indians if the required investment is made. And don't believe the hype about power etc. They use generators a lot in India, just like Nigeria.

The rest of the world chose India for their call centers. Meanwhile the telcos in Nigeria have set up and successfully run 1000+-seater distributed call centers in Nigeria, with multilingual (5 languages) capability.

All the banks in Nigeria now run call centers. Little wonder that Airtel India has brought in their subsidiary (Spanco BPO), and has sold the call center of Airtel Nigeria to them. Smart move. I won't be surprised if in the near future they start directing their traffic from India to Nigeria.
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 4:52pm On May 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Yes, yes, and yes.
Not because I am a Nigerian. Nigerians are already educated, native English speakers, their time zone is at par with Europe, and closer to North America than that of the Indians.

We have a young, trainable population that can easily rival or better the Indians if the required investment is made. And don't believe the hype about power etc. They use generators a lot in India, just like Nigeria.

The rest of the world chose India for their call centers. Meanwhile the telcos in Nigeria have set up and successfully run 1000+-seater distributed call centers in Nigeria, with multilingual (5 languages) capability.

All the banks in Nigeria now run call centers. Little wonder that Airtel India has brought in their subsidiary (Spanco BPO), and has sold the call center of Airtel Nigeria to them. Smart move. I won't be surprised if in the near future they start directing their traffic from India to Nigeria.

I like great mind that wanna dialogue like yours, that was why i said dig my first post and see where i stand.
Compared to India and Mexico and other nations where all these big companies are taking the jobs, Nigeria is far far better than them, we speak good english and our we have good resources, cos our people are so smart and willing to work.
The exchange rate will be to the advantage of those coys.
But if you look at how much will be spent just to make sure there is light to power the offices and the electronics at work, when you look at cost of protecting your employees, and how to make sure they are healthy or good roads to come to work or to deliver their product or services, they will not wanna come to Nigeria.
Please tell me what part of that is wrong or made someone an hypocrite
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 4:55pm On May 27, 2013
There so many other business i could start up in Nigeria but what stops me are the basic things that are needed for growth and sustaining a business: Constant Electricity, Good Roads, Good health system . . . . Or you mean i am asking for too much from a nation i am paying taxes to/Custom duty?
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 5:00pm On May 27, 2013
leonshom: who told u dat Nigeria youths r not ready 2 work? and if it even seems dat way, havent u had the thought dat probably d government laid d poor foundation 4its Citizenry ! Nt tryin 2blame d govt but i'l tel u dat Nigerian youths r not lazy nd they r ready 2 work !

Maybe i should have said SOME so i take the correction, not ALL, but SOME are not ready at all . .
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by AjanleKoko: 5:05pm On May 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I like great mind that wanna dialogue like yours, that was why i said dig my first post and see where i stand.
Compared to India and Mexico and other nations where all these big companies are taking the jobs, Nigeria is far far better than them, we speak good english and our we have good resources, cos our people are so smart and willing to work.
The exchange rate will be to the advantage of those coys.
But if you look at how much will be spent just to make sure there is light to power the offices and the electronics at work, when you look at cost of protecting your employees, and how to make sure they are healthy or good roads to come to work or to deliver their product or services, they will not wanna come to Nigeria.
Please tell me what part of that is wrong or made someone an hypocrite

You know, I spent a greater part of 2010 visiting factories in both China and India, as part of a work project.

The gap in terms of infrastructure between both countries is like a galaxy apart. While a factory like Foxconn in Shenzen (China) has over 20,000 line staff and you can drive for 2 hours in their premises, another factory like Syscon in Noida (Delhi, India) is even smaller than some factories in Ilupeju, Lagos, and they have a significant percentage of their staff under-aged. 10-year-old girls to be precise. They also depend heavily on generators as power source. Electricity supply in Noida is as poor as many parts of Nigeria.

Yet a lot of European manufacturers were telling me that they were actively migrating a lot of their manufacturing inventory from China to India, because, as they put it, 'labour costs were escalating in China'. That tells you that infrastructure is not the key determinant when it comes to outsourcing.

The truth is, whether we like it or not, Nigeria is destined to be a major outsourcing hub for Africa and the Middle East. Availability of human resource, land, as well as a ready market for manufactured goods make it so. All the market indicators are pointing towards GDP growth in Africa outstripping that of the West in a few years. All the Western (and Eastern) manufacturers will want to rush in and take advantage. I know personally of a few examples happening already.
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by chucky234(m): 5:07pm On May 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

BTW, Do i sell phones to Gullible people too . . . Cos you have bought before or wanted to buy?
Hahahaha,thats what I call stirring up,guy I need bulk of Z10 soon and I hope you wont fail me.
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by AjanleKoko: 5:11pm On May 27, 2013
Fhemmmy: There so many other business i could start up in Nigeria but what stops me are the basic things that are needed for growth and sustaining a business: Constant Electricity, Good Roads, Good health system . . . . Or you mean i am asking for too much from a nation i am paying taxes to/Custom duty?

Just say you don't have the money and/or contacts to do large-scale business in Nigeria, and I will understand. You fall into same category as most of us. wink
Indians, Chinese, Lebanese, and some other privileged Nigerians are doing stuff already without asking for all those things from the government. Do your research properly.
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by esere826: 5:35pm On May 27, 2013
Outsourcing can be very successful in the nigerian market
three things are needed
1) Large investment
2) Contacts (governmental/regulatory and private sector handshake)
3) Brainy business model

The type of nigerian group that can easily pull these three off are a bunch of harvard trained alumni with dady's in gov. wink

Most other entrepreneurial types might need to do a lot of fasting and tithing to break through
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by esere826: 5:48pm On May 27, 2013
^^^

How is this? someone might ask. Here's a scenario

You the Nigerian Harvard alumni develop a rigorous busines case and and present to investors
Investors (including Goldman sacchs top dogs) are accessible to you thanks to your alumni network

You seek for an audience with Olusegun Aganga -Minister for trade and investment
He is more than happy to meet with you. You're havard, and his Godlman sacchs coleagues have recomended you to him
He meets with you and assures you of his support

You and your team are invited to series of business meetings with heads of Shell, Etisalat, Airtel, MTN in attendance
Everyone talks about how this is CSR or something like that -giving Nigerians a chance at the pie

You get the contracts
The government ensures that the government does not kill your dreams and make Nigeria look bad

You and your team smile to the bank and give seminar speeches on "tapping into the untapped reserves of African talent -HBR case study"
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 5:53pm On May 27, 2013
chucky234: Hahahaha,thats what I call stirring up,guy I need bulk of Z10 soon and I hope you wont fail me.

Lol . . Lemme know when you ready and we will make it happen, you be my own person, I dream a day will come when Nigeria will be the place to do business for all great companies, it HURTS to know that our brothers and sisters has no job and yet our loving leaders are doing noting to attract business
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 5:55pm On May 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Just say you don't have the money and/or contacts to do large-scale business in Nigeria, and I will understand. You fall into same category as most of us. wink
Indians, Chinese, Lebanese, and some other privileged Nigerians are doing stuff already without asking for all those things from the government. Do your research properly.

You refused to understand where i am coming from and since you dont, will be hard for us to debate . . . how much money could you attach to the life of people that are dying cos of bad roads and preventable illness? It has nothing to do with money, and for your information - compared to my local base, it is cheaper to do business in Nigeria, but basic facility is all that Nigeria is lacking
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 5:55pm On May 27, 2013
esere826: Outsourcing can be very successful in the nigerian market
three things are needed
1) Large investment
2) Contacts (governmental/regulatory and private sector handshake)
3) Brainy business model

The type of nigerian group that can easily pull these three off are a bunch of harvard trained alumni with dady's in gov. wink

Most other entrepreneurial types might need to do a lot of fasting and tithing to break through

I am not sure i agree with that line
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by esere826: 5:56pm On May 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I am not sure i agree with that line

See my post above for very practical scenario.

If you're business savvy and from havard, contact me and I'll push you past the doorkeepers at a price wink
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 5:58pm On May 27, 2013
esere826:

See my post above for very practical scenario

You have a point, but dont have to only fall within that category to make it happen, that could facilitate it, but not limited to it
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by esere826: 6:01pm On May 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

You have a point, but dont have to only fall within that category to make it happen, that could facilitate it, but not limited to it

Nope u dont have to
But it kinda tells u the ingredients needed to successfully pull it off

1) organisations have to give you the contract
2) why would they give you the contract?
3) People/government would not be allowed to kill your business
4) Why would they not be allowed to kill your business?
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by AjanleKoko: 6:06pm On May 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

You refused to understand where i am coming from and since you dont, will be hard for us to debate . . . how much money could you attach to the life of people that are dying cos of bad roads and preventable illness? It has nothing to do with money, and for your information - compared to my local base, it is cheaper to do business in Nigeria, but basic facility is all that Nigeria is lacking

LOL.
Where are you coming from bros?
There is no situation in Nigeria that's not magnified on a grander scale in India or Phillipines.
Or you think it's accidental that Indians and Filipinos provide the largest number of migrants in the world?

You're certainly correct. I have no idea where you're coming from. You know we down here in Naija no sabi anything grin
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 6:06pm On May 27, 2013
esere826:

Nope u dont have to
But it kinda tells u the ingredients needed to successfully pull it off

1) organisations have to give you the contract
2) why would they give you the contract?
3) People/government would not be allowed to kill your business
4) Why would they not be allowed to kill your business?

Yes, in a sane society where it is not about kickbacks but development of the people and your constituents
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by esere826: 6:08pm On May 27, 2013
Lets use Airtel Prima Garnet/scanad scandal as an example

1) organisations have to give you the contract -Airtel rooting for Scanad
2) why would they give you the contract? - Airtel is indian, Scanad is indian, there might be some fillial connection
3) People/government would not be allowed to kill your business -prima Garnet is being pushed out to make way for Scanad
4) Why would they not be allowed to kill your business? - This is where the game of thrones begins
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 6:10pm On May 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

LOL.
Where are you coming from bros?
There is no situation in Nigeria that's not magnified on a grander scale in India or Phillipines.
Or you think it's accidental that Indians and Filipinos provide the largest number of migrants in the world?

You're certainly correct. I have no idea where you're coming from. You know we down here in Naija no sabi anything grin

I think i am going to back off dialogue with you cos you seems to just wanna be twisting my words, read me well and showcase where i said, Nigerians knows nothing - I am a Nigerian and will die as one, you are not in any way more passionate about Nigeria than i am . . . All i am asking for is formula to make things work.
India and Philippines are not any better than Nigeria, but try to understand what we are saying, there are some basic things of life that makes things WORK and with our level of knowledge and embrace of good life, we will do way better than those nations we are mentioning - Just give us Light, good roads, and health system and other stuff
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 6:12pm On May 27, 2013
esere826: Lets use Airtel Prima Garnet/scanad scandal as an example

1) organisations have to give you the contract -Airtel rooting for Scanad
2) why would they give you the contract? - Airtel is indian, Scanad is indian, there might be some fillial connection
3) People/government would not be allowed to kill your business -prima Garnet is being pushed out to make way for Scanad
4) Why would they not be allowed to kill your business? - This is where the game of thrones begins

Great analysis, but if the simple amenities were there, we MIGHT have started another telecom called FhemmTel . . .
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by esere826: 6:16pm On May 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Great analysis, but if the simple amenities were there, we MIGHT have started another telecom called FhemmTel . . .

Nope
The present telecoms built their infrastructures themselves
while others (Vodacom et al) waited for everything to be perfect

So FhemmTel would have to roll up its sleeves and get dirty grin
that is the Nigerian dream my friend
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by Fhemmmy: 6:18pm On May 27, 2013
esere826:

Nope
The present telecoms built their infrastructures themselves
while others (Vodacom et al) waited for everything to be perfect

So FhemmTel would have to roll up its sleeves and get dirty grin
that is the Nigerian dream my friend

But do you agree with me that, with constant electricity to take care of the project, good roads to move all service and instruments to make it happen, good health system to take care of the employees and safety will enhance business operation in Nigeria?
Re: Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? by esere826: 6:22pm On May 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

But do you agree with me that, with constant electricity to take care of the project, good roads to move all service and instruments to make it happen, good health system to take care of the employees and safety will enhance business operation in Nigeria?

Sure it will
But sha, by then profit wont be that easy anymore
(demand and supply thingz)

i look forward to such infrastructural future sha
Hope my pubics dont grey before then
*looks down and sighs*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zenith Bank Becomes Nigeria’s Largest Bank By Customer Deposit / Recession: 196 Firms Shut Down In 2 Years / Leatherback Denies EFCC Allegations Against The Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.