Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,396 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? (10034 Views)

What Is Faith? / Word Of Faith:what Is Faith? / What Is Wrong With Reason ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by UyiIredia(m): 6:01pm On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

When you were a christian and you believed that the old testament God was good, was that reasonable?

Guy, commot with your lies.

You are using reason in a different sense than I was. I meant intelligence, you OTOH mean good judgement. Quit flogging straw-men.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:05pm On Jun 08, 2013
outc@st:

Olodo where is your argument?

up yours _!_
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Provie(m): 6:10pm On Jun 08, 2013
Faith & Reason ar quite compatible. Faith proceeds from reason/logic. Here it goes:

1. there is a supreme being>

2. this supreme being can do all things>

3. all things include the impossible>

4. the supreme being can do the impossible.

Talking of evidence, havnt we (scientists inclusive) ever seen & confirmed sometin happen without reason/explanation?

Faith and folly are two different things, plz note!
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:11pm On Jun 08, 2013
Provie: Faith & Reason ar quite compatible. Faith proceeds from reason/logic. Here it goes:

Talking of evidence, havnt we (scientists inclusive) ever seen & confirmed sometin happen without reason/explanation?

it depends on which faith. ofcourse, christainity and islam don't qualify, as we all know. tongue
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 08, 2013
You can't have faith if you don't reason.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jun 08, 2013
J12: You can't have faith if you don't reason.
You have to discard reason to have faith.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by loswhite(m): 6:18pm On Jun 08, 2013
outc@st:

[size=15pt]Rubbish!!![/size]
exactly hw dumb ppl react when they don't have anything to contribute

3 Likes

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:19pm On Jun 08, 2013
loswhite: exactly hw dumb ppl christians react when they don't have anything to contribute

1 Like

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by trolling(m): 6:21pm On Jun 08, 2013
Provie: Faith & Reason ar quite compatible. Faith proceeds from reason/logic. Here it goes:

some people have faith and reason, and some people just have reason either ways you look at it, it still comes from Faith so Faith and reason are compatible, reasoning comes from Faith, it all depends on on your understanding of Faith. Let me just say faith is ambiguous
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by plaetton: 6:26pm On Jun 08, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
A splendid afternoon to everyone.
I want us to have a discussion based on the title of this thread.
Is faith a negation of reason? There has been a great many number of people who over the centuries have claimed that faith and reason are incompatible but is that true? Do religious beliefs fly in the face of all reason? Let's consider this: [b]there have been many strongly held scientific beliefs that have been proved to be wrong [/b]but that doesn't necessarily mean that all scientific beliefs are wrong or are not based on reason. Why then do we have to view religious beliefs any differently?

Correction! There are no such things as scientific beliefs. There is a process of observation, experimentation , and analysis before something is scientifically accepted. Also by its very nature, i.e reasoing, scientifically accepted truths can be amended or rejected when new knowledge is discovered.

Faith , on the other hand is absolute.
" God created the the universe in 7 days .Period." despite overwhelming evidence that the earth has been evolving for the past 4.7 billion years.

Faith cannot afford to amend its truth because doing so would completely undermine its most basic foundations.

For example, if a christian were to reject the 7-day creation fable, that would automatically imply that the biblical tale as not being true, which would in turn, imply that the word of god is not true. If the word of god as written in Genesis was not true, then every thing written in the bible may also not be true, including the story of Jesus.

Therefore, a christian, by dint of his faith, is obliged to reject anything, no matter how reasonable, no matter how scientifically or historically verifiable, that repudiates his beliefs in the 7-day creation fable, the talking snake, the virgin birth, the Jesus zombie story , and all other beliefs that fly on the face of reason, science, mathematics and history.

Faith is the complete negation of reason.
Faith and reason are emanate from different parts of the brain.
Faith and reason operate in different universes.

6 Likes

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by loswhite(m): 6:27pm On Jun 08, 2013
Abu Mikey: Dunno what to say actually!!!....*Moving out of rhe thread in shame*
grin better than saying rubbish
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 08, 2013
My reply goes thus.
Try to provide a good reason for ur beliefs, I mean ur faith. Give an indubitable reason to ur religious beliefs.
Make sure they are completely admisible by reason, and also objective.
If u can make resson the basis of ur faith, then come let's talk, atleast I will have no reason to disbelieve you, just as I can't doubt that 1 plus 1 is two, I'm sure I wld accept ur reasonable answer.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Mudley313: 6:28pm On Jun 08, 2013
Krucifax:
In summary Faith is good for society as a whole
thousands of years of religious wars, persecution, genocides, crusades, jihads, christian inquisitions, women suppression, al qaeda, boko haram etc says otherwise

If we did not have faith systems the world would be a wild and dangerous place as people would have no fear of karma and repercussions.
Sweden and Denmark are amongst the most atheistic countries in the world but enjoy great economies, social order, freedom and peace; now contrast that with corruption and poverty riddled Nigeria where every mile in the south is a church building, and boko haram is running amok in the north

3 Likes

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jun 08, 2013
My reply goes thus.
Try to provide a good reason for ur beliefs, I mean ur faith. Give an indubitable reason to ur religious beliefs.
Make sure they are completely admisible by any reasonable being and also make sure to be objective.
If u can make reason the basis of ur faith, then come let's talk, atleast I will have no reason to disbelieve you, just as I can't doubt that 1 plus 1 is two, I'm sure I wld accept ur reasonable religion.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by outcst: 6:37pm On Jun 08, 2013
loswhite: exactly hw dumb ppl react when they don't have anything to contribute

Another Olodo!

Where is your contribution?
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by loswhite(m): 6:42pm On Jun 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

exactly how underdogs react. Always picking up fight with their superiors Js to get noticed...... Well I've noticed. You really nid help
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Kay17: 6:44pm On Jun 08, 2013
Riba_man: Of course, yes!
Faith and reason are in deed very compatible!
This was the main thrust of the teaching, research and faith of the scholastic philosophers.
Even in Classical Islam, there was a huge leaning toward the unicity of Faith and reason. The period in question is the great apogee of Islam in human history.

The problem is one of covering the field. If reason sufficiently enlightens us, what then is the usefulness of faith?!

Also note: there were conflicts at time, whether Reason or faith holds the key to God.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:52pm On Jun 08, 2013
loswhite: exactly how underdogs react. Always picking up fight with their superiors Js to get noticed...... Well I've noticed. You really nid help

wtf? id.iot.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nwapst(m): 6:54pm On Jun 08, 2013
OP, Faith and Reason are direct opposite of each other. The word of God made us to understand that He uses the foolish things of this world to confirm His wisdom. Abraham against hope and reasoning believed in hope and it was counted for him as righteousness. I maintain that we are not wise enough to reason the things of the spirit. Faith always sounds and look unreasonable because it is spiritual, but yet it works. The word works.

1 Like

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:59pm On Jun 08, 2013
Nwapst: OP, Faith and Reason are direct opposite of each other. The word of God made us to understand that He uses the foolish things of this world to confirm His wisdom. Abraham against hope and reasoning believed in hope and it was counted for him as righteousness. I maintain that we are not wise enough to reason the things of the spirit. Faith always sounds and look unreasonable because it is spiritual, but yet it works. The word works.

there is nothing spiritual about jewish stories.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 08, 2013
Nwapst: OP, Faith and Reason are direct opposite of each other. The word of God made us to understand that He uses the foolish things of this world to confirm His wisdom. Abraham against hope and reasoning believed in hope and it was counted for him as righteousness. I maintain that we are not wise enough to reason the things of the spirit. Faith always sounds and look unreasonable because it is spiritual, but yet it works. The word works.

There you have it folks, out of the horse's mouth. Religion requires suspension of reason and foolishness glorifies God. So we have our answer to the title of the thread.

You can close this thread now.

5 Likes

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 08, 2013
ghananotnaija: With Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour, who needs reason? All I need is Jesus.

Well you come from Africa's 2nd largest Uncle Tom republic so no surprises there.

1 Like

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by ghananotnaija(m): 7:05pm On Jun 08, 2013
daz_york:

Well you come from Africa's 2nd largest Uncle Tom republic so no surprises there.

Uncle Tom? Ghana is the first black African nation to gain independence.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:07pm On Jun 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

Uncle Tom? Ghana is the first black African nation to gain independence.

STOP BEING RACIST! YOU GUYZ WERE ENSLAVED BY CHRISTIANS! TUFIA!

SHAMELESS! HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THE GREAT PAGAN EMPIRES OF THE AKAN/ASHANTI CONFEDERACY?!

HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THE SACRIFICE OF QUEEN-MOTHER YAA ASAANTEWAA AGAINST THE CHRISTIANS?!
angry angry angry angry

[img]http://christineroseincommunication.files./2011/11/yaaasantewaa.jpg[/img]

christianity truly makes people forget. .
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jun 08, 2013
trolling: the question is where does reason come from or who gave you reasoning,or what makes you think,you have reasoning capabilities...answer this questions and let me see what reason you gat

Fallacious, loaded argument put forward by an elementary level thinker.

Why the use of the word "who"? Why is it "who"? This is how religious people, especially Christians and Muslims think in circles instead of straight lines.

"God is [insert flattering adjective]". Why? "Because God said so." "The Bible/Quran is a 'Holy', 'inspired' book." Why? Because the Bible/Quran said so. "You're foolish to not believe in my God." Why? "Because my God said so in his book."

In the evergreen words of Dr House, "Rational arguments do not work on religious people or there would be no religious people."

4 Likes

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Kay17: 7:09pm On Jun 08, 2013

And why is the impossible called impossible if it is possible?? So much for Reason.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by ghananotnaija(m): 7:11pm On Jun 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

STOP BEING RACIST! YOU GUYZ WERE ENSLAVED BY CHRISTIANS! TUFIA!

SHAMELESS! HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THE GREAT PAGAN EMPIRES OF THE AKAN/ASHANTI CONFEDERACY?!

HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THE SACRIFICE OF QUEEN-MOTHER YAA ASAANTEWAA AGAINST THE CHRISTIANS?!
angry angry angry angry

christianity truly makes people forget. .

It is you who are brainwashed. Jesus was black. The Jews of the Bible were black. The land of Canaan was Northeast Africa, because Canaan was the descendent of Ham. Get YOUR facts straight.

Christianity is the original religion of Africa. SAY NO TO PAGANISM.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by emisun(m): 7:15pm On Jun 08, 2013
Faith....can never be.reason is supreme.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by 19naia(m): 7:15pm On Jun 08, 2013
most people of commitment to science do not understand the science they believe in and lead their lives by...They go by science because they are taught that science has proved itself in many ways and also from seeing the fruits of science;but the fact remains that many of the science and technical products peoplr believe in and depend on,are not understood and only believed in BY FAITH...science has become a religion for many.......Many scientist who understand science and seek to know what it is they believe in also use faith in believeing that if they pursue a scientific method of rationalizeing and researching an issue or substance,that it will lead to a solid scientific result and merit,and by that faith pursue to fufillment in science....Its the same mental and emotional process as used in religion but by a differnet name and ceremonial order....

1 Like

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:16pm On Jun 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

It is you who are brainwashed. Jesus was black. The Jews of the Bible were black. The land of Canaan was Northeast Africa, because Canaan was the descendent of Ham. Get YOUR facts straight.

Christianity is the original religion of Africa. SAY NO TO PAGANISM.

ME BRAINWASHED?! LMAOOO! YOU ARE DEALING WITH THE WRONG PERSON DUDE!
I FOLLOW THE RELIGION OF MY TRIBE! I DONT CARE WHAT COLOUR JIZZUS WAS! I AINT FOLLOWING A HUMAN-GOD OF ANOTHER TRIBE!
I AM HAUSA AND WILL FOLLOW HAUSA RELIGION INTO MY DEATH AND AFTERLIFE!

AND BTW JESUS WAS A BROWN/WHITE SKINNED SEMITE JEWW! HE IS FROM JERUSALEM IN ARABIA! GO READ HISTORY/GEOGRAPHY!

WHAT THE F*** IS HAM? IS IT LIKE PORK OR BACON?!
angry angry angry angry

I DONT EAT PIG!

STOP BRAINWASHING MY PEOPLE! WE ARE TRIBESMEN AND HAVE OUR OWN DIFFERENT RELIGIONS!

SEE HOW YOU ARE LIEING TO SPREAD YOUR FAITH! I NEVER CAN TRUST A RELIGON THAT LIES! IN MY RELIGON IF YOU LIE ON A SHRINE-OATH, YOU ARE DEAD MEAT!

SAVE PAGANISM! SAVE NAIJA!
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Banjoramos(m): 7:17pm On Jun 08, 2013
Krucifax: The problem with Faith is that it's very foundation are a paradox! And every faith by that notion is actually unreasonable!
Think about it for a moment.

Questions:

1. What is your faith?(i.e religion)
2. Does your faith not teach you that salvation(paradise,heaven,etc)is only via it's adherence?
3. How did you come to believe in your faith? (i.e religion)
4. How can you prove that your faith is the only way to salvation?

Answers:

1. Your faith is irrelevant all peoples of belief have different concepts of it,so how is one better than the other? Is it by who came first? Is it by their doctrines? They all teach goodness and moral principles and life after death!
So which is better,or truer or the correct one? If none of them is,does that not mean that none of them really matters?

Buddhism was founded in 520BC long before Christianity in India
Christianity was founded in 30AD in Israel
Confucianism was founded in 471BC in China
Islam was founded in 622AD in Saudi Arabia
Jainism was founded in 550BC in Eastern India
Judaism was founded in 1300BC long long before Christianity
Sikhism was founded in 1500AD
Taoism was founded in 550BC

2. If you are reading this,there is a 99% chance that if you believe in a faith system it is simply because you where born into a family,community or society that practices the faith of your belief! If your where born somewhere else in under different circumstances and faith, chances are you would be a believer of a different faith. Fact!

In summary Faith is good for society as a whole,it gives people things to strive towards and helps keep human behaviour in check and under control to a great degree. If we did not have faith systems the world would be a wild and dangerous place as people would have no fear of karma and repercussions. But ultimately faith is a construct of the human mind by men with greater intellect than their peers. It was reason not faith that brought us advances in medicine,science,technology and generally every field of human endeavour.

In the end reason and not faith is the ultimate arbiter of truth! But faith is good to have around as we were not all born equal!
christianity was founded in Isreal if so why thr is no christian in Isreal again today cos christian in israel wr call arab christian and isreali doesnt even bliv in christ so dnt tell ppl abt wat u dnt knw
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:19pm On Jun 08, 2013
Banjoramos: christianity was founded in Isreal if so why thr is no christian in Isreal again today cos christian in israel wr call arab christian and isreali doesnt even bliv in christ so dnt tell ppl abt wat u dnt knw

because christianity spread into wurope through the Roman Empire (BYZANTINE).

and the ARABS invaded PALESTINE. AND KICKED THE JEWS AND CHRISTIANS OUT!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Religion As A Tool For Impoverishing Nigerians. / List Of Richest Pastors In Africa 2015 / Do you think Adam attained a height of 90 Feet ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.