Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? (10029 Views)

What Is Faith? / Word Of Faith:what Is Faith? / What Is Wrong With Reason ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

Uncle Tom? Ghana is the first black African nation to gain independence.

Ghana is also the country which white people love to go to when looking for slaves to their religions, institutions, ideologies or just for simple human trafficking. I have lived in Accra for a while so I know you people very well. You worship anything that comes out of a white man and if it was possible, you would eat his poo. I even met so many Ghanaian girls who don't want to date their men but rather exclusively sleep with European expats who have come looking for African loot and "aboriginal, tribal women."

Honestly, with all the trouble in Nigeria, I praise my ancestors everyday that we are not suffering from the level of inferiority complex and mental slavery that you people suffer from.

You even try to be more Christian than the ones who Christianised you. I remember this story about a Ghanaian man who disowned his 5 year old son and left him to his own devices when he discovered that before he could get to the hospital, his son had received a blood transfusion after having an accident. This apparently went against his Jehovah Witness beliefs and so he disowned his son and left him for his extended family to take care of. It apparently was God's will for his innocent 5 year old son to die an avoidable death due to blood loss.

http://freethinker.co.uk/2010/05/04/jehovah%E2%80%99s-witness-disowns-son-aged-five-who-received-life-saving-blood/

You people are a disgrace to Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:20pm On Jun 08, 2013
daz_york:

Ghana is also the country which white people love to go to when looking for slaves to their religions, institutions, ideologies or just for simple human trafficking. I have lived in Accra for a while so I know you people very well. You worship anything that comes out of a white man and if it was possible, you would eat his poo. I even met so many Ghanaian girls who don't want to date their men but rather exclusively sleep with European expats who have come looking for African loot and "aboriginal, tribal women."

Honestly, with all the trouble in Nigeria, I praise my ancestors everyday that we are not suffering from the level of inferiority complex and mental slavery that you people suffer from.

You even try to be more Christian than the ones who Christianised you. I remember this story about a Ghanaian man who disowned his 5 year old son and left him to his own devices when he discovered that before he could get to the hospital, his son had received a blood transfusion after having an accident. This apparently went against his Jehovah Witness beliefs and so he disowned his son and left him for his extended family to take care of. It apparently was God's will for his innocent 5 year old son to die an avoidable death due to blood loss.

http://freethinker.co.uk/2010/05/04/jehovah%E2%80%99s-witness-disowns-son-aged-five-who-received-life-saving-blood/

You people are a disgrace to Africa.

MY GODS! HORROR!

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO TRIBAL DIGNITY! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

i hate christianity. PERIOD!

if i want moral lessons, ill read any other book, learn at school or ill ask my parents. but i wont touch the bible.

1 Like

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 08, 2013
*yawns and goes back to my video thread*
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by loswhite(m): 7:40pm On Jun 08, 2013
plaetton:

Correction! There are no such things as scientific beliefs. There is a process of observation, experimentation , and analysis before something is scientifically accepted. Also by its very nature, i.e reasoing, scientifically accepted truths can be amended or rejected when new knowledge is discovered.

Faith , on the other hand is absolute.
" God created the the universe in 7 days .Period." despite overwhelming evidence that the earth has been evolving for the past 4.7 billion years.

Faith cannot afford to amend its truth because doing so would completely undermine its most basic foundations.

For example, if a christian were to reject the 7-day creation fable, that would automatically imply that the biblical tale as not being true, which would in turn, imply that the word of god is not true. If the word of god as written in Genesis was not true, then every thing written in the bible may also not be true, including the story of Jesus.

Therefore, a christian, by dint of his faith, is obliged to reject anything, no matter how reasonable, no matter how scientifically or historically verifiable, that repudiates his beliefs in the 7-day creation fable, the talking snake, the virgin birth, the Jesus zombie story , and all other beliefs that fly on the face of reason, science, mathematics and history.

Faith is the complete negation of reason.
Faith and reason are emanate from different parts of the brain.
Faith and reason operate in different universes.
u see u r not much different from the Christians after all, cos u stated overwhelming evidence that the earth has been evolving 4 past 4. 7 billion years which of course I knw u r not part of the the ppl that did d experiment but yet u choose to believe despite the fact dat u don't have any knowledge of the experiment except 4 the one provided by the same scientist which u read in skool or google . The idea that you believe sumtin until it's proven wrong by another person is similar to u putting ur faith in scientist which are humans that are more learned than u .
Christians put their faith in God and Jesus even tho u are quick to call it zombie story.
Scientist put their faith in their experiment and observation so I wonder where u belong ..... Lost soul I guess

1 Like

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by FAVBABS(m): 7:42pm On Jun 08, 2013
Am very happy to meet this kind of topic this evening. faith and reason are just like parallel lines which should'nt meet with each other when we reason we hav every evidence & reason 2 accept something but faith is accepting it the way it is and not questioning it. so pls dont mix the two 2gether.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by FortresOfChrist(f): 7:44pm On Jun 08, 2013
Faith has its place and reasoning has its place also but they different each.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by chukkynwob(m): 7:45pm On Jun 08, 2013
IIIIxRoyalxIIII: Faith, Religion and Origin of Life Discussions are Useless to Debate.

They are all rooted in Hypotheticals and ~What If's~

Believers in God are Clueless, Non Believers are Equally Clueless

Anyone who continually waste time in debating such, especially on a Nigerian Forum with a bunch of Mindless Religious Zealots is a Person with Far too much time on their hands.

Nobody is right, Nobody is Wrong.

Your Minds are Far to primitive to understand These Concepts

This idea of "Man God"....and callling god a "Him", Is directly influenced by peoples previous belief in religion

However, because man religion has been ripped to shreds by the knowledgeable, The "Non Religious" Believer..{Which is a Joke in itself) Wants to stand in the middle and claim..."Yes religion is ridiculous but i still believe in God"

You only believe in "God" because you have been indoctrinated with flawed concepts and a flawed philosophy on the belief and Existence of Life

My Children Remember one Thing, Everyone on Earth is "Born" a Non Believer...

"Non Belief" Is the Starting Point.

A Child is Born into this world with a Mind as Blank as a White Sheet of Paper.

Your "Beginning" knew of no such Probable Fallacies. Man has put the idea of "Man God" Into your mind.

Nobody is right, Nobody is Wrong, what is certain is that a Child Born is Originally a Non Believer Until Corruption with a Possibly Fictional & Fabricated Hypothetical.

To be quite honest, i have yet to encounter one mind on this forum at the Level or on Par with mines to even have such a complicated debate.

The Writings i read on Origin, Belief, Faith & God, are very poor to be Honest.

Einstein... Please come off your high horse last time I checked you are not a Nobel laureate.

Anyway you are too scared to take a stand on the matter
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by loswhite(m): 7:46pm On Jun 08, 2013
outc@st:

Another Olodo!

Where is your contribution?
keep reading and u will see my contribution dumbass
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by plaetton: 7:50pm On Jun 08, 2013
loswhite: u see u r not much different from the Christians after all, cos u stated overwhelming evidence that the earth has been evolving 4 past 4. 7 billion years which of course I knw u r not part of the the ppl that did d experiment but yet u choose to believe despite the fact dat u don't have any knowledge of the experiment except 4 the one provided by the same scientist which u read in skool or google . The idea that you believe sumtin until it's proven wrong by another person is similar to u putting ur faith in scientist which are humans that are more learned than u .
Christians put their faith in God and Jesus even tho u are quick to call it zombie story.
Scientist put their faith in their experiment and observation so I wonder where u belong ..... Lost soul I guess

What a display of idiocy.
There is no such thing as faith in their experiments, you mo.ro.on.
Scientific experiments are for fact-finding, not faith validating.
The scientific system has a vetting process. Every human being is not required to participate in every single scientific experiment.
An experiment carried out in Alaska, can also be carried out in Timbuktu with the same results. That vetting process has proven itself to be very very reliable over the past 200 yrs or so.
So when a scientific fact is peer-reviewed and acccepted , it becomes the working model until something better comes along that also goes through the same process.

1 Like

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by chukkynwob(m): 7:50pm On Jun 08, 2013
Mudley313:
thousands of years of religious wars, persecution, genocides, crusades, jihads, christian inquisitions, women suppression, al qaeda, boko haram etc says otherwise

Sweden and Denmark are amongst the most atheistic countries in the world but enjoy great economies, social order, freedom and peace; now contrast that with corruption and poverty riddled Nigeria where every mile in the south is a church building, and boko haram is running amok in the north

So are you saying for a fact that Sweden and Denmark have successful economies because they have more atheists than other countries?

And how did you arrive at this conclusion?
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by outcst: 7:50pm On Jun 08, 2013
loswhite: keep reading and u will see my contribution dumbass

You mean this very ignorant post? You should have discarded all that you learnt in school because you were not part of those who did the initial investigations...

Olodo!!!

loswhite: u see u r not much different from the Christians after all, cos u stated overwhelming evidence that the earth has been evolving 4 past 4. 7 billion years which of course I knw u r not part of the the ppl that did d experiment but yet u choose to believe despite the fact dat u don't have any knowledge of the experiment except 4 the one provided by the same scientist which u read in skool or google . The idea that you believe sumtin until it's proven wrong by another person is similar to u putting ur faith in scientist which are humans that are more learned than u .
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jun 08, 2013

5 centuries ago, people like this guy executed Galileo for stating that the earth is round and not flat, and it revolves around the sun and not the other way round.
One could try to educate these types about radio carbon dating and isotope analysis but to what point? Slaves that love and cherish their slavery are not worth wasting breath on.

Continue doing your inspiritum heavinus (amen).
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by chukkynwob(m): 7:56pm On Jun 08, 2013
plaetton:

The scientific system has a vetting process. Every human being is not required to participate in every single scientific experiment.
An experiment carried out in Alaska, can also be carried out in Timbuktu with the same results. That vetting process has proven itself to be very very reliable over the past 200 yrs or so.
So when a scientific fact is peer-reviewed and acccepted , it becomes the working model until something better comes along that also goes through the same process.

A scientific law is universal and has been tested and retested like Platteon pointed out.eg Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics holds true no matter what.

I am christian,the basis of faith is your ability to believe without proof.

That is faith.

But not everything is life can be proven some concepts in life are abstract and non-emprically verifiable e.g emotions,Logic itself.

3 Likes

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by chukkynwob(m): 7:57pm On Jun 08, 2013
outc@st:

You mean this very ignorant post? You should have discarded all that you learnt in school because you were not part of those who did the initial investigations...

Olodo!!!

LWKMD...

1 Like

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jun 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
Only christianity and islam are incompatible with reason.

this is noticed from the poor level of arguments put forth by these 2 cultists, in the religious section. .

here is an example:

muslims (e.g., maclatunji) outrightly ban you for 10-15 years, if they cannot argue with you.

christians (e.g., olaadegbu) will use silly cartoons, unrelated biblical quotes (in large red/blue fonts, quotes like "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him.", etc. .

Tell me about it, I have had a run-in with one of them (Christembassy) and he would make inconsistent arguments and deny obvious truths from the Bible that he does not like. He once stated that I was sincere and honest in regard to my biblical quotes but then again in the same vain he said I did not know the Truth-talk about oxymoron, Christembassy is a master of it. He speaks from both sides of the mouth when the Bible is involved. He clearly shows tht faith and reason are the antithesis of each other.

I had asked him to show me the truth that I am missing and he was evasive. I cited multiple biblical quotes and asked him to how me the ones that I misquoted but he is yet to respond.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by 76Naira(m): 8:03pm On Jun 08, 2013
I used to doubt a couple of things until I had an OBE (out of body experience) myself.
I would not return to argue how it happened or how repeatable it can be.

Poster, faith is unreasonable when you are taught all you know about it.
Faith is real when you separate it from our everyday basic religious practices, leave it unbiased and unassociated to personal enrichment.
There is more to the link between your soul and its overself than money and everyday issues.

Its unfortunate that more than 90% of humanity may never really experience the true spiritual until the end of this assignment.

Regards to all.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by mcmaurice20(m): 8:03pm On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

When you were a christian and you believed that the old testament God was good, was that reasonable?

Guy, commot with your lies.
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by chukkynwob(m): 8:06pm On Jun 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

MY GODS! HORROR!

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO TRIBAL DIGNITY! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

i hate christianity. PERIOD!

if i want moral lessons, ill read any other book, learn at school or ill ask my parents. but i wont touch the bible.

And christians should be concerned you hate them.why?

Bro calm down,hate consumes
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Sunnycliff(m): 8:11pm On Jun 08, 2013
Am taking my stand on this issue from the Holy Bible, Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Please, understand that a man not born again, cannot exercise this Faith as written in the Scriptures. For it is a spiritual thing and the carnal man cannot understand the things of the Spirit.

Faith and Reasoning are two parallel lines. Faith begins at the point where reasoning ends and ends at the point where human reasoning and logics begins. What human reasoning can justify the actions of Abraham when he was told by God to sacrifice his only son of his old age or the prophecy of his wife sarah putting to birth at 90 years of age?

What human reasoning can justify the actions of Christ using 5loaves of bread and two pieces of fish to feed 5000 men? To a human this is absolutely impossible, but yet it happened. The miracle of Jesus turning water into wine, what human reasoning or perception can prove that? His resurrection and ascension to which the force of gravity could not pull him down, are they fictions?

When you want to serve God, follow him sheepishly. When Jesus is the Captain of your ship, your destination should not bother you.

Thats my humble submission
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by anonimi: 8:12pm On Jun 08, 2013
Not necessarily.
Life is about balance in ALL things. One must strike a balance between faith and reason for a productive life.
You may wish to ponder about what Jesus Christ said:

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

[url=http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=matthew+5%3A3&ver=kjv]Matthew 5:3[/url]
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by geekinthelead: 8:13pm On Jun 08, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:

Is faith a negation of reason?

Absolutely not! The one thing has nothing to do with the other... tongue tongue tongue
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by anonimi: 8:15pm On Jun 08, 2013
chukkynwob:

A scientific law is universal and has been tested and retested like Platteon pointed out.eg Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics holds true no matter what.

That is faith.

But not everything is life can be proven some concepts in life are abstract and non-emprically verifiable e.g emotions,Logic itself.

Thought I should point out that my initial post essentially supports and reflects this one from chukkynwob.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jun 08, 2013
There is no greater debate then that between faith and fact. For “fact is when man relies on empirical evidence which leads to a scientific conclusion. Where faith is when man relies on erratic emotions resulting in spiritual confusion.” -Jeremy Moran.

There are few that can balance faith with reason but for many in religious delirium, religion and faith need no rational thought. You just simply have to believe even when there are contradicting evidence before you.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Kay17: 8:16pm On Jun 08, 2013
chukkynwob:

That is faith.

hmmm. Where is the part Truth rears its ugly head?
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by loswhite(m): 8:20pm On Jun 08, 2013
plaetton:

ur foolishness knows no bound since u cannot read and understand a simple post. How many of those experiment have u carried out on your own? Imagine a drug 4 instance that was accepted because it was proven and accepted but after ten years a knew knowledge came out and dat drug was found to have serious negative impact on humans and as a result it was bound. The people that have been using the drug 4 d last 10 years put their faith in dat drug because the experiment was carried and vetted by due process by scientific community and they believe that community because they are good @ what they do. ppl always put their faith in sumtin
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by chukkynwob(m): 8:23pm On Jun 08, 2013
76Naira: I used to doubt a couple of things until I had an OBE (out of body experience) myself.
I would not return to argue how it happened or how repeatable it can be.

Poster, faith is unreasonable when you are taught all you know about it.
Faith is real when you separate it from our everyday basic religious practices, leave it unbiased and unassociated to personal enrichment.
There is more to the link between your soul and its overself than money and everyday issues.

Its unfortunate that more than 90% of humanity may never really experience the true spiritual until the end of this assignment.

Regards to all.

Is your OBE testable? No
Is your OBE repeatable? No

If I choose to believe you that is faith.

But the question is why should I have faith in you

Both Theists,Atheists and deists exercise faith the difference is where and when we all apply our faith.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 08, 2013
Kay 17: hmmm. Where is the part Truth rears its ugly head?

Any rational being should be able to distinguish the truth from lies. Unfortunately, some Christians would some times call truth lie and vice versa when it suits them. They use faith to support their irrational thought.

Scripture very clearly affirms the law of contradiction. First John 2:21, for example, is explicit: "No lie is of the truth." Many other passages, such as 2 Timothy 2:13, ("[God] cannot deny himself"wink either assume or reiterate the law of contradiction.

The law of contradiction means that two antithetical propositions cannot both be true at the same time and in the same sense. X cannot be non-X. A thing cannot be and be simultaneously. And nothing that is true can be self-contradictory or inconsistent with any other truth.

All logic depends on this simple principle. Rational thought and meaningful discourse demand it. To deny it is to deny all truth in one fell swoop.
Until a little more than a hundred years ago, the law of contradiction was almost universally accepted by philosophers as a self-evident truth. Francis Schaeffer attributed the decline of 20th-century society to the demise of the law of contradiction. He suggested that when philosophy abandons this principle it sinks beneath "the line of despair" and ultimately makes suicide the only viable course of action.

The reason why Christians run from this is that the Bible is fraught with -you guessed it-contradictions.:

Matthew 5:22 Whosoever shall say Thou fool, shall be in danger of hellfire. (Words of Jesus.)

Matthew 23:17 Ye fools and blind. (Words of Jesus.)

Mark 13:31, Matthew 24:35
"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away."

John 5:31
"If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid."

John 8:14
"Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid."

John 8:18
"I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me."

Matthew 10:34
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Luke 22:36 He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Mathew 26:52 Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword."

Mathew:16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Matthew 10:35-36
"For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law — a man's enemies will be the members of his own household."

Luke 12:50-53
"Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."

Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters — yes, even his own life — he cannot be my disciple."

1 John 4:19-21
"We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, 'I love God,' yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother."

1 Like

Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by Chiefpriest1(m): 8:31pm On Jun 08, 2013
I really do not know why ​we are wasting time arguing this topic. It is called faith because it is the evidence of things not seen. Faith negates reason,pure and simple. What is the reason/logic/science behind Moses' stretching of his rod to part the red sea? It defies reason that the death of one man (Jesus)could save the whole world. How can marks made on your chest by a native doctor prevent bullets from penetrating you? It defies reason that muslims would go to Mecca every year to throw stones at the devil and expect him leave them alone? However,arguing that those who reason religion are superior to people who would rather have faith in whatever they believe without asking questions is simply preposterous. In the end,every man should stick with what works for them
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by thehomer: 8:31pm On Jun 08, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
A splendid afternoon to everyone.
I want us to have a discussion based on the title of this thread.
Is faith a negation of reason? There has been a great many number of people who over the centuries have claimed that faith and reason are incompatible but is that true? Do religious beliefs fly in the face of all reason? Let's consider this: there have been many strongly held scientific beliefs that have been proved to be wrong but that doesn't necessarily mean that all scientific beliefs are wrong or are not based on reason. Why then do we have to view religious beliefs any differently?

I really hope you'll stay and engage in this discussion.

I do think that faith is incompatible with reason. To begin, faith is belief in the absence of or against the available evidence while reasoning or rational thinking is belief commensurate with the available evidence.

The way they can work together in a person is by selective application of reason. Thus, people who have taken something on faith generally refuse to subject those things to critical reasoning.
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by loswhite(m): 8:32pm On Jun 08, 2013
outc@st:

Olodo!!!

so dat is the only tin u can understand frm the post.... Well I don't expect much frm a dumb any way. There is room 4 faith and reason dats d point
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by loswhite(m): 8:37pm On Jun 08, 2013
daz_york:

5 centuries ago, people like this guy executed Galileo for stating that the earth is round and not flat, and it revolves around the sun and not the other way round.
One could try to educate these types about radio carbon dating and isotope analysis but to what point? Slaves that love and cherish their slavery are not worth wasting breath on.

Continue doing your inspiritum heavinus (amen).
I'm not against science if u must know because it involves knowledge. U probably misunderstood me
Re: Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? by outcst: 8:47pm On Jun 08, 2013
loswhite: so dat is the only tin u can understand frm the post.... Well I don't expect much frm a dumb any way. There is room 4 faith and reason dats d point

Ah men...must you respond? Anyways, if your contributions will follow the trend it has taken so far, then please do us all a favour and STOP contributing...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The Size Of God? / Religion As A Tool For Impoverishing Nigerians. / Have You Ever Fallen Under Anointing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.