Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,753 members, 7,813,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child (14468 Views)

7 Nigerian Ministers of God You Mustn't Fail To Listen To / If You Say There Is No God, You Are A Fool / Image Of An Angel Appears In The Clouds In Pretoria,south Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:19pm On Jun 09, 2013
As for me, He is just an Old dude with white beards sitting on his golden throne in the cloud. And since the bible said He created man in his image, I do think he is a handsome guy.

How about you guys, describe what you think God is when you were child.

4 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by manmustwac(m): 8:22pm On Jun 09, 2013
Some white dude with long hair and a long beard

9 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:31pm On Jun 09, 2013
The pictures shown to me indicate God riding a white horse and legions of white guys with wing at his back. The Old dude is with a sword.

Just funny

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:52am On Jun 10, 2013
For me, for the Supreme Force, it used to be like lush forest and grasslands with flowing streams and then this thick dark mist surrounding it from which a voice emanates and all the other Gods aligning themselves in 2 rows on the sides of the mist, like Lord Kure (form of hyena with armour,etc) , Lord Gajyi Mare (holding thunder and surrounded by rain clouds), etc., standing proud on the sides. Sometimes Sarkin ALjan would be visible in the form of an old man in black robes and holding a staff and just discernible through the mist. :/

2 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by manmustwac(m): 11:01am On Jun 10, 2013
Topics like this that force christians to think critically are always avoided

17 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by outcst: 11:08am On Jun 10, 2013
manmustwac: Topics like this that force christians to think critically are always avoided

For one whose strong point is not critical thinking, I wonder what you are on about.

3 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by UyiIredia(m): 11:21am On Jun 10, 2013
outc@st:

For one whose strong point is not critical thinking, I wonder what you are on about.

He writes as if he's busy_hence short points_ or is not much interested in the section.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by outcst: 11:24am On Jun 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

He writes as if he's busy_hence short points_ or is not much interested in the section.

Hmmmm...

Okay, I will give him the benefit of the doubt...

#I am watching him shocked
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by inspiredbyGOD(m): 2:54pm On Jun 10, 2013
You mean the creator of the universe, the source of love and the source of all life. How do you expect me to have imagined such a being? Well, as a child, I just thought of God as Pure white light radiating with beauty and with glory that no eye can dare behold. I still have the same image till now.

6 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by tobechi74: 7:45pm On Jun 10, 2013
manmustwac: Some white dude with long hair and a long beard

y not black? U are a racist from birth

7 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by outcst: 7:46pm On Jun 10, 2013
tobechi74:

Lol!!!
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by tobechi74: 7:47pm On Jun 10, 2013
From childhood , i knew God to be a spirit.

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by greatgenius: 9:57pm On Jun 10, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
You mean the creator of the universe, the source of love and the source of all life. How do you expect me to have imagined such a being? Well, as a child, I just thought of God as Pure white light radiating with beauty and with glory that no eye can dare behold. I still have the same image till now.
Your statement was beautiful until @bolded..why did you think(im assuming you still dont have that perception)no one dared beheld something with that beauty? ..should God be feared?

how you been btw- long time
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by UyiIredia(m): 10:08pm On Jun 10, 2013
I toyed with male and transgendered visuals of God. Decided to stick with the male representation - twas orthodox.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by psky: 1:14am On Jun 11, 2013

Hmm...so you brushed aside all those pictures of God in story books? Pls tell me when you started envisioning God to be this white light, I mean there must have been some point when you developed such an incredulous perception of him right?
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by psky: 1:15am On Jun 11, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I toyed with male and transgendered visuals of God. Decided to stick with the male representation - twas orthodox.

What race please?

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by inspiredbyGOD(m): 1:15am On Jun 12, 2013
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by inspiredbyGOD(m): 1:15am On Jun 12, 2013
greatgenius: Your statement was beautiful until @bolded..why did you think(im assuming you still dont have that perception)no one dared beheld something with that beauty?
You miunderstand me. We can't behold GOD in the same way that we can't look at the sun {with our unaided eyes}
..should God be feared?

No and yes!
how you been btw- long time
I'm fine god brother, I just decided to stay off nairaland for a while.

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by UyiIredia(m): 1:56am On Jun 12, 2013
psky:

What race please?

Usuals. Caucasian.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by psky: 8:31am On Jun 12, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Usuals. Caucasian.

And now? What do you imagine him to be?
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by inspiredbyGOD(m): 1:39pm On Jun 12, 2013
psky:

Hmm...so you brushed aside all those pictures of God in story books?
I never came across any image of God in story books.
Pls tell me when you started envisioning God to be this white light, I mean there must have been some point when you developed such an incredulous perception of him right?
Like I said in my initial post, from a young age I have always envisioned God that way.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by manmustwac(m): 11:42pm On Jun 12, 2013
tobechi74:

The topic asks us to describe the image of God we had as a child. So as child growing up in london the image of Gpd was white the image of santa claus was white the image of angels was white moses mary magdalin infact all bible characters were white to me until i reached the age to realize that god is imaginary

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by greatgenius: 1:48am On Jun 13, 2013
You miunderstand me. We can't behold GOD in the same way that we can't look at the sun {with our unaided eyes}
i do understand where you coming from now.. but even at that, understand that cant behold and dare not behold carries two different meanings...

however i dont want to dwell on this as my interest lies in your "No and Yes" statement below..nevertheless understand that "God" can,will, and has been beheld...

No and yes!
why should a so called "loving" God be feared..
I'm fine god brother, I just decided to stay off nairaland for a while.
thats good. been doing same lately myself..
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by UyiIredia(m): 2:16am On Jun 13, 2013
psky:

And now? What do you imagine him to be?

I don't know. Same way you dunno who sculpted the famous Benin mask used as the FESTAC '77 icon.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by inspiredbyGOD(m): 10:28am On Jun 13, 2013
greatgenius: i do understand where you coming from now.. but even at that, understand that cant behold and dare not behold carries two different meanings...

however i dont want to dwell on this as my interest lies in your "No and Yes" statement below..nevertheless understand that "God" can,will, and has been beheld...
Okay.

why should a so called "loving" God be feared..
You have a point there. However, the wicked can't stand in the presence of God. You only have nothing to fear if your ways are pure.

thats good. been doing same lately myself..
Cool. One mustn't get addicted to this site.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by greatgenius: 3:36pm On Jun 13, 2013
Okay.

You have a point there. However, the wicked can't stand in the presence of God. You only have nothing to fear if your ways are pure.
The presence of God? Where is this presence you talk of ... Why can't the wicked stand in the presence of God? .Are the "wicked" always not in her presence at all times? - or you think otherwise

Pure ways or not why should anyone dread or develop a cold feet in the presence of an unconditional loving deity? Is God's love based on a condition or unconditional?...does she love the just and abhors the ways of the unjust? Is it possible for an unconditional loving God to judge or even punish? ..

BTW who and what is The All That is to you.. maybe we should start from there..

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by inspiredbyGOD(m): 4:51pm On Jun 14, 2013
greatgenius: The presence of God? Where is this presence you talk of ... Why can't the wicked stand in the presence of God? .Are the "wicked" always not in her presence at all times? - or you think otherwise
hmmmn, that got me thinking. Wrong choice of words I guess.

Pure ways or not why should anyone dread or develop a cold feet in the presence of an unconditional loving deity? Is God's love based on a condition or unconditional?...does she love the just and abhors the ways of the unjust? Is it possible for an unconditional loving God to judge or even punish? ..
Isn't GOD the ultimate judge? Isn't there any repercussion for wrong doing?

BTW who and what is The All That is to you.. maybe we should start from there..
YAHWEH!
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by greatgenius: 7:15pm On Jun 14, 2013
hmmmn, that got me thinking. Wrong choice of words I guess.
thats the point of this whole discussion. get you thinking

Isn't GOD the ultimate judge?
who and what is he judging? herself? because there is none else but herself/itself..everything you see and exists is part of himself/itself/herself..so who will he condemn or judge? God does not judge god brother..

you are told to love your neighbor as yourself- not because it is a righteous/godly/holy/compassionate way to live- but because your neighbor is literally you playing a different role in the game of the life/universe..ultimately there is only one of us..Therefore caring for oneself and caring for others is ultimately the same. We are all one being. One body with many cells-the many cells came from One cell..when you judge another you are only judging none other but yourself..

again i will ask you this..is it possible for an all-powerful and unconditional loving deity to judge or condemn?
Isn't there any repercussion for wrong doing?
first of all "wrong" and "right" does not exist. we have made it all up..at a fundamental level there is really no such thing as right/good and wrong/evil in the universe. everything is just is..it is perception that frames reality and it depends on the beholder..

right and wrong is a judgement( and let me remind you again that God does not judge- humans do)..To consider something better than or worse than is a judgement..wrong is considered something of inferior quality compared to something better, therefore a lesser right/good is/will be considered wrong when compared with a greater right/good..so you see there is really no such thing as right and wrong..because i tell you what no one really does anything inappropriate based on the view of their world/reality..( In any war, everyone thinks they are the good guys. Terrorists think they are fighting evil. you might say “Oh, but they are wrong! They think they are good, but they are mistaken.” That’s probably what they say about you, too.. )..

now when there is no judgement there is no consideration of something being better or worse than another. everything is accepted equally as it is..God loves all equally regardless of their state of evolution or level of consciousness- smart/right and dumb/wrong

Secondly repercussions are not judgements..They are effects/consequences of an action..they are outcomes. natural outcomes not judgements or punishments..every "right" or "wrong" deed has an outcome.. so yes every "wrong" doing has it repercussion but understand that it is not as a result of a judgement from a Devil or a judgmental God

YAHWEH!
YHWH is a part of All That Is..

but lets talk about yahweh.. do you believe he is an unconditional loving, omniscient and all powerful God?..

2 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by inspiredbyGOD(m): 7:59pm On Jun 14, 2013
greatgenius: thats the point of this whole discussion. get you thinking/////// It's working.

/////// who and what is he judging? herself? because there is none else but herself/itself..everything you see and exists is part of himself/itself/herself..so who will he condemn or judge? God does not judge god brother..
/////// So, all that exists is just God? So, what's the point of everything? why create other aspects of yourself?

///////you are told to love your neighbor as yourself- not because it is a righteous/godly/holy/compassionate way to live- but because your neighbor is literally you playing a different role in the game of the life/universe..ultimately there is only one of us..Therefore caring for oneself and caring for others is ultimately the same. We are all one being. One body with many cells-the many cells came from One cell ////////
hmmmn...... that makes sense.

///////again i will ask you this..is it possible for an all-powerful and unconditional loving deity to judge or condemn?
first of all "wrong" and "right" does not exist. we have made it all up..at a fundamental level there is really no such thing as right/good and wrong/evil in the universe. everything is just is..it is perception that frames reality and it depends on the beholder..

right and wrong is a judgement( and let me remind you again that God does not judge- humans do)..To consider something better than or worse than is a judgement..wrong is considered something of inferior quality compared to something better, therefore a lesser right/good is/will be considered wrong when compared with a greater right/good..so you see there is really no such thing as right and wrong..because i tell you what no one really does anything inappropriate based on the view of their world/reality..( In any war, everyone thinks they are the good guys. Terrorists think they are fighting evil. you might say “Oh, but they are wrong! They think they are good, but they are mistaken.” That’s probably what they say about you, too.. )..

now when there is no judgement there is no consideration of something being better or worse than another. everything is accepted equally as it is..God loves all equally regardless of their state of evolution or level of consciousness- smart/right and dumb/wrong

Secondly repercussions are not judgements..They are effects/consequences of an action..they are outcomes. natural outcomes not judgements or punishments..every "right" or "wrong" deed has an outcome.. so yes every "wrong" doing has it repercussion but understand that it is not as a result of a judgement from a Devil or a judgmental God
/////// Interesting points.

//////////YHWH is a part of All That Is..

but lets talk about yahweh.. do you believe he is an unconditional loving, omniscient and all powerful God?..///////// honestly, I don't really believe that the old testament deity is all powerful or loves unconditionally. Sometimes, I feel that Jesus was referring to another God as father.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by inspiredbyGOD(m): 8:04pm On Jun 14, 2013
^^^^^^^@Greatgenius, my comment comes after the forward slash (/). My device couldn't handle the post because of the length.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jun 16, 2013
Hmmmm,when I was a kid !!! I imagined HIM as ;

A kinda powerful old man,living in Heaven (Cloud) surrounded by warriors(angels) who are to run errand(buying Gifts and food) for HIM whenever HE has visitors(other gods) !!!!

As an Adult;
Now I know,HE (SWT) is beyond Imagination but can be felt and concieved !!!

3 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by 299: 12:34pm On Jun 16, 2013
manmustwac: Some white dude with long hair and a long beard
Yeah...most of us had that mental image of God as kids. But, i really cannot remember how i imagined satan to be

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NAKED CHURCH UNVEILED, Opens Branches In Abuja, Lagos, P/harcourt / OPM Trains Members, Non-members For Free, Use Tithe Money For Sewing Machines / How T.B. Joshua Initiated Chris Oyakhilome & Ugandan Pastor Kakande

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.