Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,750 members, 7,831,398 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child (14484 Views)

7 Nigerian Ministers of God You Mustn't Fail To Listen To / If You Say There Is No God, You Are A Fool / Image Of An Angel Appears In The Clouds In Pretoria,south Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by raystanley(m): 3:41pm On Jun 16, 2013
GIRLS ARE NOT ON THIS TREND, WHY? CAUSE IF IT's A MONEY RELATED ISSUE... YOU SEE THEM JUMPING OUT LIKE MONEY SUCKING MONSTERS!

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Abeos(m): 3:52pm On Jun 16, 2013
tobechi74:

y not black? U are a racist from birth
The white colour doesn't neccesarily mean d colour of his skin but d God being totally being clean and pure
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by naijathings(m): 3:54pm On Jun 16, 2013
i was too busy with my childhood and had no time to think abt such things..

2 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
For me, for the Supreme Force, it used to be like lush forest and grasslands with flowing streams and then this thick dark mist surrounding it from which a voice emanates and all the other Gods aligning themselves in 2 rows on the sides of the mist, like Lord Kure (form of hyena with armour,etc) , Lord Gajyi Mare (holding thunder and surrounded by rain clouds), etc., standing proud on the sides. Sometimes Sarkin ALjan would be visible in the form of an old man in black robes and holding a staff and just discernible through the mist. :/
Sorry to divert..@9japagan
Wish we sabi in person..I honestly would like to have a drink with U..from ur posts,I think U a very brilliant chap,u not d middle classed Nigerian but U are too much of a pagan to God..When I read some of ur comments,I shake my head and I remember d Quranic version of Pharoah..I honestly would love to know what fuels/triggers that faith of urs and how convinced U are bout what or who U serve..i want to learn a few things from U and ur reasoning..if u game,kindly lets chat via olanrewajucloth@gmail.com
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Goldie20: 4:46pm On Jun 16, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jun 16, 2013
I thought God was the sun.

For some odd reason.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Ishilove: 4:59pm On Jun 16, 2013
manmustwac: Topics like this that force christians to think critically are always avoided
Na you sabi
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:00pm On Jun 16, 2013
druid06:

@Pagan9ja, immediately I saw this thread on NL's frontpage, I was a 100% sure you were going to be on here soon and I was right. As much as I love your view and liberty about the pagan religion and deity, you seem to continously do the same things you're against. You constantly remind the Christians, Jews, Muslims from forcing their own religion unto others yet it's the same thing you're doing on NL everyday and incessantly forcing people of other faiths to believe and recognize yours. If that's not pure hypocrisy then I am damn sure don't know what it is.

You misunderstand. I unlike them, have a right to force people to accept Paganism, because they used it on my people. Im a tribesman and we dont take revenge too lightly. angry
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:01pm On Jun 16, 2013
lorretta u: why not white mist?is your god a god of darkness?

I associate dark mist because Sarki ALjannu is a God of darkness, while Kure is a God of Light.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:04pm On Jun 16, 2013
Goldie20: ..

waaaooow Wole SOyinka is a God! na wa oooo

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:06pm On Jun 16, 2013
sanniemoe:
Sorry to divert..@9japagan
Wish we sabi in person..I honestly would like to have a drink with U..from ur posts,I think U a very brilliant chap,u not d middle classed Nigerian but U are too much of a pagan to God..When I read some of ur comments,I shake my head and I remember d Quranic version of Pharoah..I honestly would love to know what fuels/triggers that faith of urs and how convinced U are bout what or who U serve..i want to learn a few things from U and ur reasoning..if u game,kindly lets chat via olanrewajucloth@gmail.com

Thank You my brother. That is my birth religion. what triggers me is the stuff I witness around the world everyday and what Ive read in books, magazines, literature,etc. Ofcourse my religious zealism was from a very young age. sure Ill send you a pvt. PM. wink

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Omobarca: 5:15pm On Jun 16, 2013
an oyinbo of course cheesy
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Goldie20: 5:19pm On Jun 16, 2013
lorretta u: why not white mist?is your god a god of darkness?

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Ishilove: 5:21pm On Jun 16, 2013
God was a plump, handsome, grinning, fair complexioned man with a long brown towel tied around his waist.

When I was very young, my dad was a banker. He usually left very early in the morning and came back late at night. I was usually asleep when he left in the morning and when he came back from work at night. On weekends, he spent most of the day in bed, so I rarely ever saw him. Because of this, as time went on, I had to force myself to wake up as early as 4.00am in the morning in order to catch a glimpse of him before he left for work.

He was always already bathing each time I came looking for him, so I would wait for him to finish bathing. He would emerge from the bathroom, dripping wet and clad in his very long brown coloured towel. When he saw me sitting on the floor by the bathroom, he would grin, and say "Ishi, you are here again".

Always a shy child, I wouldn't say anything but would only smile into his fair, handsome face.

I built the image of God around my father's image, so whenever I thought of God back then, my mental image of him was of a very mighty man on a throne, with a big crown on his head and a brown towel around his waist.

I've outgrown it now. When I think of God now in my adulthood, I can't picture His face because He is a huge, shining ball of light from waist up. From waist down, He is wearing a brown towel with green dunlop slippers...
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:26pm On Jun 16, 2013
Ishilove: God was a plump, handsome, grinning, fair complexioned man with a long brown towel tied around his waist.

When I was very young, my dad was a banker. He usually left very early in the morning and came back late at night. I was usually asleep when he left in the morning and when he came back from work at night. On weekends, he spent most of the day in bed, so I rarely ever saw him. Because of this, as time went on, I had to force myself to wake up as early as 4.00am in the morning in order to catch a glimpse of him before he left for work.

He was always already bathing each time I came looking for him, so I would wait for him to finish bathing. He would emerge from the bathroom, dripping wet and clad in his very long brown coloured towel. When he saw me sitting on the floor by the bathroom, he would grin, and say "Ishi, you are here again".

Always a shy child, I wouldn't say anything but would only smile into his fair, handsome face.

I built the image of God around my father's image, so whenever I thought of God back then, He was a very mighty man on a throne, with a big crown on his head and a brown towel around his waist.

I've outgrown it now. When I think of God now in my adulthood, I can't picture His face because He is a shining ball of light from waist up. From waist down, He is wearing a brown towel with green dunlop slippers...

haha interesting. your idolatory centres around your fathers image.

In the past, different ethnic groups used images of their tribal ancestors or clothed the Gods in their tribal clothing and features to visualize Gods. this explains why Yoruba Gods look like Yorubas (if in human form) and why Japanese Gods look like Japanese.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Omobarca: 5:28pm On Jun 16, 2013
Ishilove: God was a plump, handsome, grinning, fair complexioned man with a long brown towel tied around his waist.

I built the image of God around my father's image, so whenever I thought of God back then, He was a very mighty man on a throne, with a big crown on his head and a brown towel around his waist.

I've outgrown it now. When I think of God now in my adulthood, I can't picture His face because He is a shining ball of light from waist up. From waist down, He is wearing a brown towel with green dunlop slippers...

MY OWN GOD IS CERTAINLY NOT FAT NEITHER DOES HE WEAR SOME DUNLOP SLIPPERS.
NA WA 4 U OH.
grin

2 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 16, 2013
For me,from childhood,God has been unimaginable..the concept of God is something way beyond any human comprehension. Infact,merely thinking of it strikes fear in my heart,then when I understood Islam as a religion.God became a form of everything we know,knew and never knew.. I am a sinner no doubt,I find myself way too unworthy but before God and any form of light,spirit that I imagined,it's like a rat b4 an elephant ... Huwa li Al wal
The God before the days of man,
The God before times
The God of time
The God after time,
From d smallest atomic molecules to d biggest and mightiest elephants,
He listens to their cries
Allah,
The creator of every being,living and non living
Creator of entire Universe
God of Abraham,Moses,Issac,Noah and Jesus
He doesn't eat,sleep and never will
Allah....

2 Likes

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Ishilove: 5:33pm On Jun 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

haha interesting. your idolatory centres around your fathers image.

In the past, different ethnic groups used images of their tribal ancestors or clothed the Gods in their tribal clothing and features to visualize Gods. this explains why Yoruba Gods look like Yorubas (if in human form) and why Japanese Gods look like Japanese.
My idolatry ke?

That aside, you are very correct
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Ishilove: 5:35pm On Jun 16, 2013
Omo_barca:
MY OWN GOD IS CERTAINLY NOT FAT NEITHER DOES HE WEAR SOME DUNLOP SLIPPERS.
NA WA 4 U OH.
grin
Your blatant idiocy is rather sickening
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Omobarca: 5:37pm On Jun 16, 2013
Ishilove:
Your blatant idiocy is rather sickening
grin and what's offensive in my previous post? grin some people sha

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by alvin000(m): 6:47pm On Jun 16, 2013
To be very realistic, the Almighty Allah can't be described with anything on this earth. Why? All human beings, demon, animals, things but living n non living are creates n control under the realm of his power. its written in holy books that; Bible:- to whom will u liken me so that I may be equal with? Qua'ran:- He is d one, who creates all btw sky n earth, he beget not nor was he begotten.

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:52pm On Jun 16, 2013
ALlah is a Creator God and is present in created things itself. This is why Creator Gods usually dont have images. The Hindus infact dont even worship the Creator because they believe that by worshippig the other Gods the creator is sufficed. However other Gods and Higher Powers do as they are created and serve other functions. THe Creator God is just limited to creation. in other areas, the intercession of other Gods and spirits is required.

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by toluernanes: 7:37pm On Jun 16, 2013

I built the image of God around my father's image, so whenever I thought of God back then, my mental image of him was of a very mighty man on a throne, with a big crown on his head and a brown towel around his waist.

I've outgrown it now. When I think of God now in my adulthood, I can't picture His face because He is a huge, shining ball of light from waist up. From waist down, He is wearing a brown towel with green dunlop slippers...

lolz, a brown towel? seriously? must be a bit funny in retrospect.

mine was like pretty every one else's; huge white haired man sitting on huge throne with the earth in his hand.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jun 16, 2013
alvin000: To be very realistic, the Almighty Allah can't be described with anything on this earth. Why? All human beings, demon, animals, things but living n non living are creates n control under the realm of his power. its written in holy books that; Bible:- to whom will u liken me so that I may be equal with? Qua'ran:- He is d one, who creates all btw sky n earth, he beget not nor was he begotten.

Ya'Allah
Ar'Rahman
Ar'Raheem
He is God
Maker of Heavens,Heaven,Earth, and everything on,in,out,within,opposite,adjacent it.
He is beyond the thought and imagination of the smartest,wisest being(Living,dead,yet to live)

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 16, 2013
Cori_corde: I thought God was the sun.

For some odd reason.
So,what do u think now ?

Sun ?
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by 99cent: 8:13pm On Jun 16, 2013
every child's mental image of God will be formed from the pictures they see in books and such. I think that's kind of obvious. This is why art is important. It shapes our views.

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jun 16, 2013
greatgenius: The presence of God? Where is this presence you talk of ... Why can't the wicked stand in the presence of God? .Are the "wicked" always not in her presence at all times? - or you think otherwise

Pure ways or not why should anyone dread or develop a cold feet in the presence of an unconditional loving deity? Is God's love based on a condition or unconditional?...does she love the just and abhors the ways of the unjust? Is it possible for an unconditional loving God to judge or even punish? ..

BTW who and what is The All That is to you.. maybe we should start from there..

Exactly my thoughts. Unconditional love means unlimited compassion,no judgement, forever forgiving . This attributes are not related to the bible God.

1 Like

Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jun 16, 2013
greatgenius: thats the point of this whole discussion. get you thinking

who and what is he judging? herself? because there is none else but herself/itself..everything you see and exists is part of himself/itself/herself..so who will he condemn or judge? God does not judge god brother..

you are told to love your neighbor as yourself- not because it is a righteous/godly/holy/compassionate way to live- but because your neighbor is literally you playing a different role in the game of the life/universe..ultimately there is only one of us..Therefore caring for oneself and caring for others is ultimately the same. We are all one being. One body with many cells-the many cells came from One cell..when you judge another you are only judging none other but yourself..

again i will ask you this..is it possible for an all-powerful and unconditional loving deity to judge or condemn?
first of all "wrong" and "right" does not exist. we have made it all up..at a fundamental level there is really no such thing as right/good and wrong/evil in the universe. everything is just is..it is perception that frames reality and it depends on the beholder..

right and wrong is a judgement( and let me remind you again that God does not judge- humans do)..To consider something better than or worse than is a judgement..wrong is considered something of inferior quality compared to something better, therefore a lesser right/good is/will be considered wrong when compared with a greater right/good..so you see there is really no such thing as right and wrong..because i tell you what no one really does anything inappropriate based on the view of their world/reality..( In any war, everyone thinks they are the good guys. Terrorists think they are fighting evil. you might say “Oh, but they are wrong! They think they are good, but they are mistaken.” That’s probably what they say about you, too.. )..

now when there is no judgement there is no consideration of something being better or worse than another. everything is accepted equally as it is..God loves all equally regardless of their state of evolution or level of consciousness- smart/right and dumb/wrong

Secondly repercussions are not judgements..They are effects/consequences of an action..they are outcomes. natural outcomes not judgements or punishments..every "right" or "wrong" deed has an outcome.. so yes every "wrong" doing has it repercussion but understand that it is not as a result of a judgement from a Devil or a judgmental God

YHWH is a part of All That Is..

but lets talk about yahweh.. do you believe he is an unconditional loving, omniscient and all powerful God?..

Teach them brother !
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 16, 2013
991: An old white white man with long beard.

You described Santa Claus ....the typical christian god.
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by BB013(m): 9:27pm On Jun 16, 2013
whenever I imagine him I see myself.. afterall he made me in his image..
I dont expect people to see God in another persons image.. or if u at d mirror do u see someone else? My
thought though
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by Ishilove: 9:57pm On Jun 16, 2013
tolu_ernanes:

lolz, a brown towel? seriously? must be a bit funny in retrospect.
Not really. Every image I have of God features him wearing an ankle length brown towel. embarassed
Re: Describe The Mental Image Of God You Had As A Child by opella(f): 10:20pm On Jun 16, 2013
I thought God was joseph, since joseph was the husband of mary and mary the mother of jesus, and jesus the son of God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Folu Adeboye Celebrates Her 69th Birthday Today / Home Of Atheists, Freethinkers, Agnostics. / Preaching In The Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.