Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,837 members, 7,831,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour (14594 Views)

What's Happening In Anambra, All the Markets Closed. / Tinubu’s Daughter To Replace Abibatu Mogaji As New ‘iyaloja’? / Tinubu’s Mother, Abibat Mogaji Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by davidflo(m): 3:35pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

What stupid culture is that? What is a market? You are an ignoramus. Are shops all over Lagos market? If you want to close down a market, why didnt you go and close down idumota market? When has a shop on Ikorodu road or bank anthony way become market? If you dont know the differenc between culture and backwardness, you need to go back to school
mr educated I am sure you will be surprised if I tell you that even a bank is a market place but I am sure u will dumbly disagree. Going back to school might help u if u think only pepper and tomato selln represents a market. Btw civilization doesn't mean you become bastards to your culture,its about making the best of what you have already and progressing with it. To me, civilization is when our Igbo and hausa brothers who are traders in lagos join their host state in mourning the leader of market peeps. But again all these might be too complicated for you.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jun 18, 2013
OAM4J:

Are you sure you are a Yoruba? (No pun intended)

Iyaloja literally mean the Mother of the Market. Virtually every market in Yorubaland has an Iyaloja. Then you have the Iyaloja chieftancy title that comes from the palace who heads all the market-Iyalojas and by extension becomes the leader of all the markets women under the influence of the particular palace.

Abibat Mogaji was the title holder of Iyaloja of Lagos from the palace of Oba of Lagos till her death.

Iyalode and Iyaloja are two powerful women positions in every Yoruba kingdom.
i actually learnt something from this. Thanks
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by pbling: 3:38pm On Jun 18, 2013
1day dey ll close house of praya cos of som pason whom we dont knw
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by mapet: 3:43pm On Jun 18, 2013
So daft would have been more apt
ilugunboy:

Dunce....this is an apolitical event...nothing to do with parties....

Why are you guys so slow to learn?

buJu-234:

if its PDP & GEJ... ACN & APC will call them bad names...

I still believe that ACN & APC are worse DEVIL than this funny GEJ & PDP govt
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Desola(f): 3:45pm On Jun 18, 2013
What impunity! How can these minority Yoruba people dictate to us in the land of our ancestors and in a state where we form the majority? Did I read someone say Alaba and Ladipo were also closed?

Impossicant!!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 18, 2013
Desola: What impunity! How can these minority Yoruba people dictate to us in the land of our ancestors and in a state where we form the majority? Did I read someone say Alaba and Ladipo were also closed?

Impossicant!!
I smell sarcasm.. Make i siddon look
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by theripper3: 3:55pm On Jun 18, 2013
Make e no just pass one day abeg. Boys gotta eat. And no human head too o.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by diamond002: 3:56pm On Jun 18, 2013
Wat arrant nonsense angryabi do D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ want us to join her wit hungar,dis I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ just rubbish closing dwn D̶̲̥̅̊ whole market I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ lasgidi,dnt buy dis idea @all angry ℓ̊ D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ vex lyk beans undecided
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by AjCityOne: 4:03pm On Jun 18, 2013
Desola: Shebi Alaba and Ladipo are open.

For where, dem no get that kind liver. This is not Mossob sit at home order. This is Lagos, Yoruba State.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jun 18, 2013
AjCityOne:

For where, dem no get that kind liver. This is not Mossob sit at home order. This is Lagos, Yoruba State.
lol.. You can say that again
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 18, 2013
AjCityOne:

Now this is funny.... cheesy
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by EkoIle1: 4:08pm On Jun 18, 2013
redsun: Primitive.What has the death of an old woman that was probably selling pepper got to do with trade and businesses in federal commercial capital of nigeria? All these actions of the tribal acn party are statements of secession,but gej seem too dumb to see what is going.

Last time it was abiola,now it is in honor of a rogue's mother.

What's the meaning of that?

The crazy and trollish things people come up with on NL sef.

Btw, insulting the dead woman because of your odious ignorance and devilish hatred for a man that you are yet to explain to anybody what he stole from you or what made him a rogue obviously means you are worse than everything you throw at the man and his dead mother.

How we get to this dirty and filthy level where slimes like you get to trash and mock a dead woman beats me beyond everything under the sun. It says a lot about your own flawed and disgusting upbringing and funny enough, it's very obvious this woman did a better job raising her son that yours did raising you...

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jun 18, 2013
diamond002: Wat arrant nonsense angryabi do D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ want us to join her wit hungar,dis I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ just rubbish closing dwn D̶̲̥̅̊ whole market I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ lasgidi,dnt buy dis idea @all angry ℓ̊ D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ vex lyk beans undecided

Go and throw this your 'Palassa' phone into the Lagos lagoon.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by AjCityOne: 4:12pm On Jun 18, 2013
teskyg: Its not compulsory to force people to obey an ancient tradition.Most people would have prefared to open their shops for Businesses but were prevented by touts.

If it is GEJ in Lagos,all the media will be awashed with views and comments.
If Fashola mum dies,the will declare a no movement in lagos.

Then make you return to your village, abi nah by force to live for Yoruba Land. And by the way, I know why it dey pain you because you've all believed that Lagos nah no mass land. Now you know say Lagos nah Yoruba land. Lol
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by joewilly(m): 4:13pm On Jun 18, 2013
who made her a market leader? And when she was there how many market did she fight for. opresive tendencies to eulogies Tinubu di outdated leader.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jun 18, 2013
joewilly: who made her a market leader? And when she was there how many market did she fight for. opresive tendencies to eulogies Tinubu di outdated leader.

Simple....the people that owns Lagos made her the leader of ALL Lagos markets....?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by mbourie(m): 4:24pm On Jun 18, 2013
I paid my shop rent, nepa bill, omo ni le, tax etc and you deprived me 3 days from getting my income all in the name of cultural absorption.....why did the 'agberos' not stampede 'the arena' in army cantoment oshodi-where they also sell okrika? Them know were them power reach...the high time we threw some of our cultural shock norms all in the name of 'our father's old spectacle' the better for us....

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by AjCityOne: 4:26pm On Jun 18, 2013
joewilly: who made her a market leader? And when she was there how many market did she fight for. opresive tendencies to eulogies Tinubu di outdated leader.

I no blame you, this is how delusional people get when they have no basic understanding of the topic in discussion. This has nothing to do with Tinubu. But again people like you get confused when they have never witness any good leader in their village before dem come lagos. Nah you don reach lagos your eyes don open. Welcome Again to Yoruba land. Or should I say This is Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 18, 2013
@thelostpope
what will u say about the idea of declaring public holidays for easter or christmas when we are fully aware that not everyone is a christian? It has become tradition even when its meaningless to people like me? Same goes for declaring public holiday for muslims. People dnt care simply becoz the holidays didnt hurt anybody. If those market women and men are not cool with the idea of closing shops to respect the dead, then there would have been a protest or things like that. The same way i dnt complain when government declares public holiday for easter. You cant compare that to traditions that kill people (human sacrifise etc). We'll respect the dead somehow. For example. Remebrance day, there will public holiday in some countries. does that mean every family has dead soilder?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Trut(m): 4:33pm On Jun 18, 2013
ilugunboy:

Simple....the people that owns Lagos made her the leader of ALL Lagos markets....?

Honestly, you're jobless Nairaland AGBERO. Just imagine how quote and insult those who don't have same view with you.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 18, 2013
Trut:

Honestly, I am a jobless Nairaland AGBERO. Just imagine how I quote and insult those who don't have same view with me.

Fixed..
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 4:57pm On Jun 18, 2013
9jadelta: @thelostpope
what will u say about the idea of declaring public holidays for easter or christmas when we are fully aware that not everyone is a christian? It has become tradition even when its meaningless to people like me? Same goes for declaring public holiday for muslims. People dnt care simply becoz the holidays didnt hurt anybody. If those market women and men are not cool with the idea of closing shops to respect the dead, then there would have been a protest or things like that. The same way i dnt complain when government declares public holiday for easter. You cant compare that to traditions that kill people (human sacrifise etc). We'll respect the dead somehow. For example. Remebrance day, there will public holiday in some countries. does that mean every family has dead soilder?

What is actually wrong with some of you, honestly? Is there a law that says you cannot open shop on easter, sunday, christmas? why cant you tell the difference between coconut and pawpaw? If you dont understand the difference between a declaration of public holiday and an order to close shops, then I cant help you. You will have to ask your teacher for that explanation.

By the way, quit using that Niger Delta moniker. Stick with your SW thing. No one is fooled by it.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by misterh(m): 5:05pm On Jun 18, 2013
This further proves that Lagos state is indeed a Yoruba state. A friend of mine who wasn't Yoruba used to claim that Lagos state is a no-man's land. But he forgot that Lagos state has an oba who is recognised by the authorities, indigenes bear Yoruba names et al. This debacle is fueled because the late Iyaloja's son is a prominent opposition politician. Some people are saying that in order to move forward, we should throw away our tradition. Smh for this kinda people. We aspire to be as developed as Europe but this does not mean that we should forget our own identity. Even Europeans have their own cultures. Nuff said!
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

What is actually wrong with some of you, honestly? Is there a law that says you cannot open shop on easter, sunday, christmas? why cant you tell the difference between coconut and pawpaw? If you dont understand the difference between a declaration of public holiday and an order to close shops, then I cant help you. You will have to ask your teacher for that explanation.

By the way, quit using that Niger Delta moniker. Stick with your SW thing. No one is fooled by it.
well, you have a point but there is little difference.. When government declares public holiday, everyone sits at home. Now imagine someone like me that will need to go to the bank and save my money but cant simply because, christians/muslims are at home celebrating one dead man from 2000yrs ago. Jauxtapose these two things. You will realize that we both have a point

by the way, i have nothing to prove to you. You can call me whatever you want. It doesnt change a thing about me. Na your headache be that one. Afterall you didnt see me figghting for yoruba or any ethnicity in this forum. But try to make sense whenever you post and dnt criticize anyhow. Na my own be dat
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 5:16pm On Jun 18, 2013
9jadelta: well, you have a point but there is little difference.. When government declares public holiday, everyone sits at home. Now imagine someone like me that will need to go to the bank and save my money but cant simply because, christians/muslims are at home celebrating one dead man from 2000yrs ago. Jauxtapose these two things. You will realize that we both have a point

When government declares public holiday, everyone does not sit at home my friend. Please stop repeating it. Even the banks do not sit at home because the government announcement is compulsory or binding. It is totally their own decision to work or not to work. If a bank wants to work on Christmas day, there is no law or government declaration that stops them from doing so. Government declaration is for government workers. Even the government workers can still go to their office if they want to and nobody will stop them. You are getting things twisted!

What we are talking about here is a violation of people fundamental rights! You only do this kind of thing in a curfew or state of emergency. It is a carry over from military tyranny and precolonial backwardness!
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by rubi96(f): 5:22pm On Jun 18, 2013
Please for how long will it last cos i really need to buy some food stuff oooo abeg
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 5:24pm On Jun 18, 2013
misterh: This further proves that Lagos state is indeed a Yoruba state. A friend of mine who wasn't Yoruba used to claim that Lagos state is a no-man's land. But he forgot that Lagos state has an oba who is recognised by the authorities, indigenes bear Yoruba names et al. This debacle is fueled because the late Iyaloja's son is a prominent opposition politician. Some people are saying that in order to move forward, we should throw away our tradition. Smh for this kinda people. We aspire to be as developed as Europe but this does not mean that we should forget our own identity. Even Europeans have their own cultures. Nuff said!

It proves absolutely nothing. This your 19th century theory is nothing but laughable! Nobody owns anywhere. I repeat, nobody owns anywhere! Wake up from your slumber. You live in a one room face me I slap you apartment and come to a public forum claiming you own Lagos. Oya, go out on the street now and enter any shop and pick whatever you like and walk away, because you own Lagos... grin

You only own the lean change in your bank account and the 4 pairs of Jeans hanging by your bed and that tokunbo TV you picked up from Ladipo, nothing else! Stop deluding yourself! The owners of Lagos are anyone, no matter the tribe, who has made enough money to buy a cool Land in Ikoyi or Lekki phase 1 or Palmgrove Estate, Alaka Estate, Ogudu GRA, Ikeja GRA, etc and runs an office on the Island or Allen avenue. That is how to own Lagos. Not this your poverty strikken ownership theory you are spewing here. The whole world has moved past that. Dont Nigerians in the UK fight for their rights and become leaders of society? Havent Nigerians in America become mayors? You better slap yourself 3 times and go wash your sleepy face so you can wake up to reality... grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by takedat(m): 5:31pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

It proves absolutely nothing. This your 19th century theory is nothing but laughable! Nobody owns anywhere. I repeat, nobody owns anywhere! Wake up from your slumber. You live in a one room face me I slap you apartment and come to a public forum claiming you own Lagos. Oya, go out on the street now and enter any shop and pick whatever you like and walk away, because you own Lagos... grin

You only own the lean change in your bank account and the 4 pairs of Jeans hanging by your bed and that tokunbo TV you picked up from Ladipo, nothing else! Stop deluding yourself! The owners of Lagos are anyone, no matter the tribe, who has made enough money to buy a cool Land in Ikoyi or Lekki phase 1 or Palmgrove Estate, Alaka Estate, Ogudu GRA, Ikeja GRA, etc and runs an office on the Island or Allen avenue. That is how to own Lagos. Not this your poverty strikken ownership theory you are spewing here. The whole world has moved past that. Dont Nigerians in the UK fight for their rights and become leaders of society? Havent Nigerians in America become mayors? You better slap yourself 3 times and go wash your sleepy face so you can wake up to reality... grin grin grin
Ogbeni, you get problem. Stay off drugs for good grin
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

Tell them...when they were busy killing infants for one nigeria, they never knew theyve lost some of those 'na we get lagos' priviledges. Make dem enter my office carry my flat screen Tv becos na dem get lagos..make i dey look dem grin.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 5:40pm On Jun 18, 2013
omonnakoda:
Do you know the meaning of the word pun ?
What or who is Yoruba and where is Yorubaland exactly better not talk about what you do not know? You are mixing up facts and half facts to arrive at what exactly.
What is the relevance of Iyalode here? Why did you not translate that too?
There is no such thing as universality of cultures in so called " Yorubaland" so please do not rewrite history. Iyaloja may be translated into "Mother of the Market" but it is a poor transliteration as markets do not have Mothers.
It is not the case across Yorubaland that Women dominated trading historically. The Ijebu men in particular were renowned traders and the concept of Iyaloja traditionally was the same as Iyalode in many places, How widespread is the concept of "OGBENI-OJA and what does this mean?
Efunsetan Aniwura was IYALODE and the leader of market women(NOT IYALOJA)

The fact is Iyaloja means or meant different things to different Yoruba at different times and its meaning and influence changed with Abibatu Mogaji. She was the leader of market women and (MEN) a recent and significant development

Omonnakoda,

In Yoruba customs (with no exception), women are the custodians of market and its economy. To demonstrate the significance, if a market has a total of 500 traders and 499 of them are men; their market leader will be that single woman. It is not a democratic position but it is one of the most politically visible positions in an Oba's council. I do not need to detail the reason here but it is connected esoterically with the land, and indeed with the Oba's throne. Iyalode, Iyalaje, Iyaloja are extensions of the King's authority in society. A handful of Yoruba Obas have been deposed by women occupying these positions. Traditionally, the Iyaloja is selected from Oja Oba, which is the market immediately located outside an Oba's palace.

Times have changed and we have deserted the core values of what make us Yoruba. In past generations when our customs and traditions were the forces that propelled our social relevance the event of June 12th, 1993 would have turned out differently by the single action of Iyaloja Abibat Mogaji invoking her powers and authority on trade and commerce. We have examples in her predecessors....but particularly in Madam Efunroye Tinubu, The Iyalode of Egba. Others include Efunsetan Aniwura, Funmilayo Ransome Kuti. In fact, Alhaja Mogaji herself had her own share of political battles with past administrations in Lagos. Much of what trading and commerce has evolved into in Lagos can be traced to her. Igbos are unaware that Alhaja Mogaji facilitated their presence and settlement in Idumota. This of course was a lenghty battle between her and the palace and she won. It paid off afterall and she and Oyakan reconciled.

You will perhaps say what has this history got to do with this topic. Except for a few responses on this discussion there is evidence that some Yorubas are lacking in knowledge of our customs and the role of women in our progress.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 18, 2013
It is selfish for any "Jew" to say it was wrong for markets to be closed, because while markets are only closed people's movement were not restricted. This is unlike the sit-at-home order that MASSOB declared that not only barred the Yoruba from doing their business but also denied them of their human right of movement.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by nisot23(f): 5:47pm On Jun 18, 2013
Some markets were not open even yesterday too....am sure many traders are already calculating how much they've lost within these 2 days..anyways,may her soul rest in peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Saraki Signs 3 Bills / Kassim Afegbua Writes DSS, Queries Invitation / "There Will Be No Electronic Voting In 2019"-mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.