Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,479 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (14129 Views)

To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? / Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by girl22(f): 4:50am On Jun 13, 2009
i beleive in inteligent design. we did not get here by accident. i believe we were all created by energy and are all energy. thats the best way i can explain. sort of like the buddhist. the universe is one.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Nobody: 2:02am On Jun 14, 2009
Do you think Wole Soyinka is a fool? Well, he's a self proclaimed athiest for your information. Einstein was an athiest too and countless other highly intellectual men. Infact, it seems the smarter you are, the less you beleive in GOD.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Nobody: 2:05am On Jun 14, 2009
By the way, I'm not an atheist so don't start throwing insults at me. You ''GOD fearing'' people.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Lita(f): 7:06pm On Jul 03, 2009
brief digression: i am not atheist, rather agnostic, so possibly explains my [/i]position-

i believe there is a realm (call it spiritual, call it supernatural) of things that we do not understand, or cannot be yet explained by science. people who pray and who are religious (i do not and am not) have a tendency to deal with and recover from illness better. that is a fact. there are unexplained things that happen. people return from the brink of death. bad things happen to good people. good things happen to bad.

[i]i
believe that god should not be a catch all for all we don't know. that is intellectually lazy, and can be a dangerous tool for evil people. similarly,[i] i [/i]think that a staunch belief in one's own reason has got to be arrogance. the argument as to whether belief for non-belief is more intelligent is unhelpful. there are countless examples of god-fearing and god-rejecting people who are very intelligent.

i am a nigerian who's never lived in Nigeria, but hopes to do so next year, so will be following this thread carefully. grin
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by thisnigga(m): 9:16pm On Jul 13, 2009
totaly agree wif u dere smiley
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by doubleh: 5:11am On Jul 14, 2009
hey u guys, just found this thread, am not full atheist yet, i consider myself a deist, i guess i just cannot bring myself to believe all the stuff that is claimed in the quran and bible, and answers such as god works in mysterious ways, or its god's will, are not enough for me, however if people find peace in their religion thats fine by me,
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Nobody: 6:19am On Jul 14, 2009
do Nigerian atheists expect some kind of prize for what they term their "intelligent analysis of the non-existence of God"?

They want people to worship them and do they expect special treatment?

One of my friend's relations who was an educated atheist, married a woman who barely graduated high school. And who was a heavy white garment church goer. The aladura type. She should be a prophetess by now because she was that committed.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Tudor6(f): 11:15am On Jul 14, 2009
tpia.:

do Nigerian atheists expect some kind of prize for what they term their "intelligent analysis of the non-existence of God"?

One of my friend's relations who was an educated atheist, married a woman who barely graduated high school. And who was a heavy white garment church goer. The aladura type. She should be a prophetess by now because she was that committed.
What kind of stupid questions are these??
Has any atheist ever asked you to worship him/her or accord special treatment to them? Where did the issue of prize come from?
See it's not by force to post in any thread. If you've got nothing sensible move along! Don't be saying the first rubbish that pops into your head.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 14, 2009
Tudór:

What kind of stupid questions are these??
Has any atheist ever asked you to worship him/her or accord special treatment to them? Where did the issue of prize come from?
See it's not by force to post in any thread. If you've got nothing sensible move along! Don't be saying the first rubbish that pops into your head.

must you always display madness everytime you post?

ya medication no reach?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Tudor6(f): 6:03pm On Jul 14, 2009
tpia.:

must you always display madness everytime you post?

ya medication no reach?
What is the releavance of the stupid questions you asked to the topic??
Can your brain not articulate?
If you have a brain problem stay in your house rather than coming to NL to spew bullshit!
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jul 14, 2009
Tudór:

What is the releavance of the stupid questions you asked to the topic??
Can your brain not articulate?
If you have a brain problem stay in your house rather than coming to NL to spew bullshit!

rather than constantly expose your mental limitations everywhere on nairaland, why not stick to something you know, if anything at all?

is there anything you know? because from 99% of your posts here, that's highly debatable.

is it too late for you to try adult education? I'm speaking as a concerned citizen because na people like you dey give others a bad name.

Now, I'm sure you have quite an arsenal of cuss words at your disposal- you feel you've got a monopoly on that. So lets hear what you were called every day by the nasty people around you when you were growing up. Oya, let it fly.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Tudor6(f): 10:27pm On Jul 14, 2009
tpia.:

rather than constantly expose your mental limitations everywhere on nairaland, why not stick to something you know, if anything at all?

is there anything you know? because from 99% of your posts here, that's highly debatable.

is it too late for you to try adult education? I'm speaking as a concerned citizen because na people like you dey give others a bad name.

Now, I'm sure you have quite an arsenal of cuss words at your disposal- you feel you've got a monopoly on that. So lets hear what you were called every day by the nasty people around you when you were growing up. Oya, let it fly.

Why the rant??
Whats all this bull about mental limitations??
The topic is "Skeptics and Atheists in nigeria how do you manage"
Here is your DAFT response
tpia.:

JEEZ! In addition to asking ridiculously stupid questions that are totally baseless,
You even start narrating how your friend married an aladura who is a prophetess. Are you a retard??
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by KAG: 7:43pm On Jul 15, 2009
I stop short of pointing out every time someone shoves something in my vicinity that Nigeria, despite being one of the most religious countries in the world, is also one of the most corrupt.

Generally, though, I barely notice the religious. I think I've become good at being insular and since most of the religious don't really bother me, I don't mind them.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by horse703: 9:47pm On Jul 15, 2009
what actually caused a revolution in knowledge is "the age of enlightenment" where SCIENTISTS said they do believe in God but that shuld not be a force to prevent man from knowing what goes on around him , man to gain knowledge, to ask questions about everything and understand them. they believed mans existence shuld not be based on the afterlife but on improving humanity and the present world at large, this is exactly what the bible advocates, mans interpretation of the bible especially in africa is wrong, the bible clearly teaches that man has to gain understanding and not be static waiting for the afterlife. atheists, your view of Gods word is wrong, it does not diregard science it rather upholds it, so why then wuld you not belive in Jesus!!!.

I believe that gaining of knowledge shuld lead to a believe in God.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by toneyb: 10:10pm On Jul 15, 2009
horse703:

what actually caused a revolution in knowledge is "the age of enlightenment" where SCIENTISTS said they do believe in God but that shuld not be a force to prevent man from knowing what goes on around him , man to gain knowledge, to ask questions about everything and understand them. they believed mans existence shuld not be based on the afterlife but on improving humanity and the present world at large, this is exactly what the bible advocates, mans interpretation of the bible especially in africa is wrong, the bible clearly teaches that man has to gain understanding and not be static waiting for the afterlife. atheists, your view of Gods word is wrong, it does not diregard science it rather upholds it, so why then wuld you not belive in Jesus!!!.

Are you really sure of what you are saying?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by horse703: 10:25pm On Jul 15, 2009
yas i am sure of wht im saying. why do u ask?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:40pm On Jul 15, 2009
horse703:

Do you have any evidence for your belief in God?
Is there any single archeological evidence to show the myths in genesis?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Kunbee: 1:01am On Jul 16, 2009
Na wa ooo na 2 day people no de believe anywayz all atheists r reserving a seat for themselves in HELL
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Iyara(m): 3:38pm On Jul 16, 2009
It’s not so hard. I just try to remember the following;
1. I am not alone. There are lots of people with similar views in this country. Fear of persecution and ostracism keeps them silent.
2. To keep my thoughts to myself and not volunteer them unless specifically asked to do so. Forcing your opinions down people’s throats is unacceptable, no matter your point of view.
3. To try and be diplomatic always when expressing my views. Nothing causes folks to act irrationally like challenges to their belief systems.
4. Keep an open mind and let a small part of me be ready to accept the fact that I might be wrong. Being totally convinced about something without proof should be left to fanatics.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by BlkRaven(f): 1:40pm On Jul 17, 2009
Kunbee:

Na wa ooo na 2 day people no de believe anywayz all atheists r reserving a seat for themselves in HELL

If hell exists (and that's a big IF), I'm sure there'll be many religious Nigerians there as well.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by dogmafree(m): 9:47pm On Jul 19, 2009
So folks. If there is a GOD, how do you explain the fact that there are thousands of religions in the world? Every one of them claim to be the word of GOD. Which GOD? Do you believe in Jesus? Why NOT in Mohamed? Or Buddha? Or any of the others. What religion would you be today if you were not born into your present belief today? Think about it. You are only a Muslim or Christian today because its all you know. Its what you have been told since you were born. If your parents are Muslims you are mostly likely to be a Muslim. same goes for Christians. Only a few people actually leave the religion of their parents. Your religion largely depends on where you were born. If you were born in Pakistan you are 99.9% likely to be a Muslim.

Christians claim the only way to heaven is to be a Christian. Muslims claim the same. So do other religions. It seems there are many who claim to know "GOD". We all know all these religions cannot be right. So who do you go with? Before there was Christianity, there were other religions. There were other religions who's messiah was given birth to by a virgin (its not unique to Christians). Of course, this is news to many.

Our ancestors were not Christians or Muslims, their religions were not just as advanced like the western religions. Christianity supported slavery until it was no longer in fashion, otherwise most of us would be slaves today. These same people enslave us and then give us their religion. Unbelievable.

Take your time and read the bible, not just random quotes selected by pastors. If you actually read it, you will realize it all nonsense. written by primitive men (not women).  People have dreams and claim its god talking to them. 

For every person that survives an accident or terrible disease, there is another person who didn't make it. The person that survives credits god for been alive. Who speaks for the dead. Its all about chance people. 

Below is a link of natural disaster statistics.

here are some examples:

80,000 people were killed and three million left homeless after a quake struck the mountaineous Kashmir district in Pakistan.

Nov. 13, 1970. The Bhola cyclone in the Ganges delta killed an estimated 500,000 in Bangladesh. Some put the complete death toll as high as one million.

(”The Black Death”) that spread through Europe beginning in 1348 and wiped out an estimated one-third of humanity, or about 25 million people.

What kind of loving "GOD" kills millions at a time, then gets credit for saving a life at an accident scene? Religious people die and are victims at the same rate as non religious people. THINK ABOUT IT.

http://www.worldcatastrophe.com/news/statistics/the-worlds-worst-natural-disasters/

1 Like

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by akin101: 10:27pm On Jul 26, 2009
see there is no long thing there if and when you see a miracle where the person wey don lose eye leg hand balls or d**k miraculously grew a new one for everyone eye call me,
i go believe den,
otherwise all dis miracles are theatherics to deceive de gullible
there too many of us in need of believing
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by dogmafree(m): 10:41pm On Jul 26, 2009
Akin, you have a point. There is no such thing as a miracle. Its just by chance people survive mishaps. Check this links out.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

http://godisimaginary.com/
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Naira3(f): 1:31am On Jul 27, 2009
I just discovered this forum today as a result of a google search of Atheist Nigerians.  I must say I am quite surprised by the number of atheists/agnostics/skeptics in this thread.  Before I found this I was convinced there were only 3 of such Nigerians, myself included and I had to join to be able to discuss with like-minded people with similar backgrounds.

I'm not about to go into the debates as they've already been covered but one thing I do believe is that people should be more respectful of others' beliefs or lack thereof.  I think to further the debate, non-believers should lose  the arrogance and believers could also do away with the self-righteousness.  We learn nothing by being close-minded.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by akin101: 2:28am On Jul 27, 2009
men survivin under de religious hysteria in dis country is something else,
even arm robbers profess God,
i d really like to start a forum or websites for agnostics and athiest,
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Nobody: 5:51am On Jul 27, 2009
dogmafree:

So folks. If there is a GOD, how do you explain the fact that there are thousands of religions in the world?

When will people learn to stop using infantile arguments such as this? Ok so if there is a genuine $5 bill why do we have fakes around?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Krayola2(m): 6:19am On Jul 27, 2009
davidylan:

When will people learn to stop using infantile arguments such as this? Ok so if there is a genuine $5 bill why do we have fakes around?

how do u find the real one, the real religion?

*awaits infantile argument*
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by dogmafree(m): 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2009
Good question. So how do you find the real religion? Davidylan, you are basically saying "my religion is the real one". Right? How do you know this? Have you examined all the religions out there? Or you think you were just lucky to be born into the "real" religion? and your parents been a particular religion or the society you were raised as nothing to do with your current beliefs? If your answer is yes, then you are delusional. Before Christianity came around, there were other religions, because Christians became the majority doesn't mean they are the real one. You need to show me some evidence that yours is the "real" religion. Please back it up.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 27, 2009
dogmafree:

Good question. So how do you find the real religion? Davidylan, you are basically saying "my religion is the real one". Right? How do you know this? Have you examined all the religions out there? Or you think you were just lucky to be born into the "real" religion? and your parents been a particular religion or the society you were raised as nothing to do with your current beliefs? If your answer is yes, then you are delusional. Before Christianity came around, there were other religions, because Christians became the majority doesn't mean they are the real one. You need to show me some evidence that yours is the "real" religion. Please back it up.

Yoo're offering up more circular reasoning. No one has ever said that christianity is the "real religion" because of population, infact there are more muslims than christians unless you count catholics too.

I dont need to show you evidence that mine is the real religion . . . i'm not interested in showing you. You are free to either choose whichever you want or not to choose any at all. Is there a requirement for religion somewhere? why the whinning about proof?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Maykelly(f): 10:30am On Jul 28, 2009
Skeptics And Atheists can't get the difference between the two.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Lita(f): 1:51pm On Jul 28, 2009
i believe that scepticism does not mean definite disbelief, simply questioning.  Atheism is the certainty that there is no God.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by bawomolo(m): 6:32pm On Jul 28, 2009
davidylan:

the problem with your analogy is that there is a universally agreed template for the genuine $5 bill. Is there an agreed upon genuine religion?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? / Okpalaeke: Pope Francis Tells Nigerian Christians To stop Being Tribalist / T.B Joshua Predicted The Nigeria Floods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.