Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,626 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (14131 Views)

To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? / Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Rottweiler(m): 10:28pm On May 29, 2006
My friend, I would like to know the name of your sect and what you guys worship. As for me, I worship the only true living God. The I am that I am. The one that was, that is and that will continue to be.The only one that every other living things (humans, powers, etc) bow before. The one whose name performs wonders,

1 Like

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by KAG: 10:36pm On May 29, 2006
Rottweiler:

My friend, I would like to know the name of your sect and what you guys worship.
Still not your friend, and I'm an atheist. A tad hard getting an atheist sect, I'd have thought.

As for me, I worship the only true living God.

Bob?

The I am that I am. The one that was, that is and that will continue to be.The only one that every other living things (humans, powers, etc) bow before. The one whose name performs wonders,

Yep, sounds like Bob; she's weird like that.

1 Like

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Seun(m): 4:01pm On Jun 02, 2006
Perhaps we should start a church and call it Redeemed Humanist Church of Atheists (RHCA).
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Reverend(m): 4:29pm On Jun 02, 2006
@ Seun

That could of course also stand for the:-

Royal Horticultural College of Africa  cheesy
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Seun(m): 1:20pm On Jun 04, 2006
If we claim to have a religion, then our religion will get more respect from Nigerians. As it is today, a Christian has more respect for the beliefs of a muslim or an animist than for the beliefs of a Christian. Nigerians are fond of making statements like "no religion supports homosexuality or killing of babies". What about Nigerians who don't have religions? Are they outcasts in the Nigerian society or they just don't matter?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by rotbog(m): 4:29pm On Jun 04, 2006
angry
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by rotbog(m): 4:40pm On Jun 04, 2006
KAG:

I sincerely doubt you know my "type", and it's a tad hard being against any God.

I am not your friend, pretty sure I'm not brainwashed (if I was I wouldn't know anyway - just like you don't know you are cheesy), and I don't have a cult.

Your Type?
Who the Hell R U? U are dust and Unto That U will return.

We all will, with our shallow perceptions of the Seen and Unseen.

Brainwashed? Who isn't. Afterall our Convictions, Faith and Percetions are all amalgams of what we have seen , heard, studied, read, felt etc.
Our adherence to any School or No School of thot is but as result of our associations, geographical accidents of birth, family etc.

What the hell do we know that we didnt aquire. ?

Please give me break. And Do I need permission for that? No of Course!

And Bob? Who the Hell is he?
Or is He your Conscience.? cry cry cry Perhaps seared?
Where does he live ? in Your Heart?

What's his bloodline?

Wheeew! shocked

Jargons lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by blueiyke(m): 1:23pm On Jun 08, 2006
Things exist whether you believe it or not. Some people in remote villages of Africa do not believe in some of the wonders of science.Does their unbelief change anything?
Some folks do not believe that HIV/AIDS exist.Does that mean it really doesn't exist?

The fact remains that,whether Seun and people like him believe in God or not, He remains God.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by KAG: 1:57pm On Jun 08, 2006
rotbog:

Your Type?

My type!

Who the Hell R U? U are dust and Unto That U will return.

Madam, I'm Adam.

We all will, with our shallow perceptions of the Seen and Unseen.

Preaching to the choir here.

Brainwashed? Who isn't. Afterall our Convictions, Faith and Percetions are all amalgams of what we have seen , heard, studied, read, felt etc.
Our adherence to any School or No School of thot is but as result of our associations, geographical accidents of birth, family etc.
Hmm, education, teachings, perception and brainwashing. In my world they differ significantly.

What the hell do we know that we didnt aquire. ?

Squiggeblacokbvds?

Please give me break. And Do I need permission for that? No of Course!

Okay?

And Bob? Who the Hell is he?
Or is He your Conscience.? cry cry cry Perhaps seared?
Where does he live ? in Your Heart?

What's his bloodline?

Wheeew! shocked

Jargons lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

She, BoB the narrative Goddess of the holy palindromes. She resides squarely in the metaphorical heart of everyone (just between the ventricles and the imaginary soul).
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by KAG: 2:09pm On Jun 08, 2006
blueiyke:

Things exist whether you believe it or not. Some people in remote villages of Africa do not believe in some of the wonders of science.Does their unbelief change anything?
Some folks do not believe that HIV/AIDS exist.Does that mean it really doesn't exist?

The fact remains that,whether Seun and people like him believe in God or not, He remains God.

Indeed, which is exactly why we know the Invisble Pink Unicorn, Iggy the Elf, the Diskworld (see: flat world resting firmly on the back of elephants, standing on a turtle - the great A'tuin), the microscopic teacup orbiting the Sun, Zeus and his cohorts, and many other wonderful things, all exist. The fact that you may not believe those mentioned (and others not mentioned), doesn't mean they don't exist. They remain what they are, unchanged by your disbelief.

2 Likes

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by ajia23(m): 9:04pm On Jun 08, 2006
I've had a laugh of a lifetime, and I must say the human mind is really powerful. I can also see that we have a lot of psychos living like normal human beings. I can't help but revel at the thought that I might be meeting one on the road, or he could even be my own neighbour. And he could be the cause of some untimely accident, because his thinking processes have been altered irreversibly.God save us. Or is it 'No God' save us.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Reverend(m): 8:02am On Jun 09, 2006
@ Seun

Your idea for the RHCA was good so i decided to make a logo for you grin

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by ajia23(m): 8:10am On Jun 09, 2006
Crazy Reverend, what program did you use to create that logo?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Reverend(m): 8:33am On Jun 09, 2006
ajia23:

Crazy Reverend, what program did you use to create that logo?

PSP 9

Paint Shop Pro 9 from Jasc Software
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by jaybaby(f): 11:14am On Jun 09, 2006
[b][/b][color=#006600][/color] sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad its so sad that we still have people in this planet that dnt believe God exist!

Reverend!
i guess it would av bin more Beautiful if u had added a goat head on d gurl! dnt u think grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Reverend(m): 11:34am On Jun 09, 2006
@ Jaybaby

It is also very sad that with all the really terrible and evil things that are happening on this planet that God does not do something about it.

Maybe now you have your reason why there are many people who still do not believe in God!

1 Like

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Moukee(m): 12:07pm On Jun 09, 2006
I am an atheist, thank God!
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by DaHitler(m): 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2006
lol. Awesome.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by ajia23(m): 12:48pm On Jun 09, 2006
Can you send me a crack version? I hope that will not be evil? Or perhaps satan influenced action?
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by mrmayor(m): 3:18pm On Jun 09, 2006
@
Reverend:

@ Jaybaby

It is also very sad that with all the really terrible and evil things that are happening on this planet that God does not do something about it.

Maybe now you have your reason why there are many people who still do not believe in God!
I hear you Rev. cool
@ rotbog, you are very angry man,take some chill pill man!,pu-leezzzz wink
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Seun(m): 10:02pm On Jun 09, 2006
It's perfect. President Obasanjo insists that Nigeria is not a secular country, but a "multireligious" one. Hopefully we'll be able to convince them that Atheism itself is a bonafide religion; one that deserves respect.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13473_RHCA_jpgdd2c9206e6dd2fa8588099d98fcad4a5

If that doesn't work, then we'll have to return to the Temple of the Sacred Coconut (poem).
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by swan(f): 10:47am On Jun 20, 2006
:O i feel pity for atheist.how can a creation deny the existence of its creator!all this talk about evolution etc has confused a lot of people. God is merciful smiley,if not many people would have regretted
their utterances.i pray that the good lord , show you the right path to follow that leads to eternal life, smiley amen
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Seun(m): 11:07am On Jun 20, 2006
You have the right to believe whatever you like, as long as you don't violate my rights with your actions. I have the right not to believe what you believe in. Atheists are usually more intelligent, more educated, more rational.

1 Like

Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Gwaine(m): 11:30am On Jun 20, 2006
This is quaint. Seun, you're right in exercising your right to 'believe' as
you so please. Problem is that I'm often told that 'atheism' is simply a
"lack of belief", and the stress is usually on "in a God" - so we have
a complete structure of a phrase - "lack of belief in (the existence of)
a God
."

But I ask: wetin "Redeemed" and "Church" dey do for your atheistic
signboard?

Okay, just being facetious, because I know quite a handful of my pals
who are ready (nay, actually have been waiting in the wings) to beat
me black and blue if ever I go about with the "lollygag idea that this
thing called atheism is a religion!" I'm just scratching my head about
the imbroglio.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jun 20, 2006
Seun:

You have the right to believe whatever you like, as long as you don't violate my rights with your actions. I have the right not to believe what you believe in. Atheists are usually more intelligent, more educated, more rational.
shocked is that so? if that's true the likes of you, nferyn, kag and co have yet to prove your intelligence, educated in what sense? high school degree level? Charles Darwin, Sir Isaac Newton and other christian science greats where definitely not atheists.
Newayz, the bible already predicted the rise of scorners and scoffers in the last days. As for me and my house, we will serve te LORD!
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by retro(f): 9:19pm On Jun 20, 2006
Seun:

Atheists are usually more intelligent, more educated, more rational.
True. Atheists are generally more intelligent. I'm yet to meet an intelligent christian.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by KAG: 10:29pm On Jun 20, 2006
swan:

:O i feel pity for atheist.how can a creation deny the existence of its creator!all this talk about evolution etc has confused a lot of people. God is merciful smiley,if not many people would have regretted
their utterances.i pray that the good lord , show you the right path to follow that leads to eternal life, smiley amen

no doubt some atheists feel pity for you too, and perhaps the "creation" can deny the existence of its creator, when the creator seems non-existent, and no better than a metaphorical stop gap for the unexplained. Furthermore, yes, evolution has confused lots of people, but not the way you imagine it has.

Seun:

I'm not sure I agree. I've heard of many idiotic atheists IRL. I haven't met that many ignorant and irrational atheist on the internet, but I have met a few, and they are usually on forums like EW.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by KAG: 10:45pm On Jun 20, 2006
davidylan:

shocked is that so? if that's true the likes of you, nferyn, kag and co have yet to prove your intelligence, educated in what sense? high school degree level?

Meh! Proof is for maths and alcohol. Speaking for myself, education on several topics, subjects, and ideas; master of none.

Charles Darwin, Sir Isaac Newton and other christian science greats where definitely not atheists.

Yes they were definitely not atheists (Darwin became an agnostic later on in his life, I think), but they were not christian scientists, but scientists who happened to be Christians. Would they still have still have beeen great scientists if they were of a different belief system? I'm inclined to say yes.

Also, there have been many great scientistists who were/are not Christians.

Newayz, the bible already predicted the rise of scorners and scoffers in the last days. As for me and my house, we will serve te LORD!

Ah, the ol' "He could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere." (Mark Twain) type of prophecy. It isn't that impressive, if scoffers have always existed, and if the scoffers have dwindled with time (Christianity is the biggest religion in the world today, and even many from other religions respect it, so I would imagine less scoffers exist today).

retro:

True. Atheists are generally more intelligent. I'm yet to meet an intelligent christian.

I've met many.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by xanadu: 12:28pm On Jul 04, 2006
Quite interesting, reading all the various views and comments. Shows Nigeria and Nigerians are truly embracing the values of that great catalyst of civilised progress - a good debate. Of course it is obvious that we still tend to try to attack the persons of people who take an opposite view from ours, rather than taking on the issues themselves. But - we are getting there.

My 5 kobo worth: I am a Christian, and have been for quite a while. I believe that we all need to make choices in life, and I have made mine. In my opinion, we need to differentiate between what people call 'religion' and what Christianity really is.

The concept of religion is almost as old as the history of man. Religion, at the end of the day, is man reaching out to God or for the sake of the champions of atheism, reaching out to a 'superior power'. In other words, religion is man searching for answers to life's 'problems' and 'calamities' from some being who may know better and who may be more powerful than he. So you find people attributing things they do not understand to this 'supreme being'.

Christianity, on the other hand, is the very life of this 'supreme being', this 'superior force', in the life of a human. it is the direct opposite of religion - deity dwelling in humanity. Christianity is God reaching out to man, offering to give him His (God's) own life, so the man would no longer need to 'seek' knowledge or wisdom - he would have it within himself.

Of course I know that it would take much more space than this forum can afford, to explain my viewpoint about the above. Suffice it to say, however, that we should try not to confuse issues here. Religion is not Christianity. If the atheist does not accept the existence of God, then that is his own choice. But it is important that the persons who have chosen to accept that there is a God, should not be written off is 'dullards' or as unintelligent people. Having chosen to be a Christian, have I been brainwashed? Well perhaps the answer is yes - perhaps my brain needed to be washed anyway. Perhaps if every one had a little brainwash, we would think less about cheating our neighbour, or hurting people, or being envious of others. Perhaps then, there would be no need for wars around the world, and when people say 'I love you' they would mean it. Maybe then, just maybe, the world would be a better place to live in.

Seun's idea (hopefully) of starting this thread is to foster an open debate - let that debate be healthy.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by lordimpaq(m): 7:54pm On Jul 04, 2006
retro:

ok, there are many intelligent christians, around, only that they don't show themselves,

am one, 4get me is anoda

then drussila
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by exu(m): 9:06pm On Jul 04, 2006
Here is Exu's take on the matter.

Christianity= Dumb.

Islam= Dumb.

Animism= Dumb.

Have a nice day.

Exu Akbar.
Re: Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? by lordimpaq(m): 9:08pm On Jul 04, 2006
exu,

u need to be flogggedd

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

T.B Joshua Predicted The Nigeria Floods / Why Do Sinners Immediately Go To Hell, But Satan And Demons Are Not There Yet ? / British Agency Clears WINNERS CHAPEL Of N3.4bn Allegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.