Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,798 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Shoprite Opens In Ibadan - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shoprite Opens In Ibadan (34933 Views)

When Shoprite Opens In Igbo Land (graphic Picture) / Nizamiye Hospital Opens In Abuja(pictures) / Intercontinental Hotel Opens In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Horus(m): 2:24pm On Jun 28, 2013

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 28, 2013
Policewoman: SEE CROWD shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked D place go dey smell like shait!!!!
you obviously havent been to shoprite lekki on a saturday or sunday afternoon...whats the difference?! Is the market, they're trying to transit from any better?...it'll smell better than the police college
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by CyberG: 2:31pm On Jun 28, 2013
The only thing that is BAD here is that I would prefer if this were a store chain owned by Nigerians doing business in Nigeria and in foreign countries! Foreign countries should not be allowed to make billions off our country! Dangote has tried! Adenuga has tried! They cannot do EVERYTHING! (Correction: Shoprite is owned by Americans - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShopRite_(United_States))

The people poking fun at Ibadan here are of course mostly ibos! Anything that adds progress to the Yoruba South West gives them diarrhea of the mouth and brain! LWTMB! grin grin But there is no question why, just complete this puzzle: 1 9 6 _ - 1 _ 7 0! Other puzzles will be made public in time! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jun 28, 2013
Gbawe:

That is my main bone of contention too. Disgraceful we cannot have an indigenous supermarket chain at the level Shoprite is operating at.

Is FOODCO not nigerian? Am not too sure but they have the potential of becoming huge some day. If you visit their building at jericho you'll understand.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Okijajuju1(m): 2:47pm On Jun 28, 2013
Ibadan Shoprite opens...

50 Shoppers... 5000 Visitors...
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by AbuMikey(m): 2:50pm On Jun 28, 2013
Dugbe Market!!!
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Policewoman(f): 2:52pm On Jun 28, 2013
Okija_juju: Ibadan Shoprite opens...

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin like this cool

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by cherrykim: 2:58pm On Jun 28, 2013
Sunehri_145:
Which kinda question be this?
Are you a learner?
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by darmiee1(m): 3:14pm On Jun 28, 2013
Nice one
Ola one:
Breaking news:

Ajimobi to rename Shoprite "Ajumoraja". grin
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by omobadan(m): 3:26pm On Jun 28, 2013
vosquare: dat local nd dirty ib...y dem no go abk,egbeda,ijebu igbo?? grin grin grin

It seems you're an immature person. So, you're angry there's a Shoprite in Ibadan? That's why you're calling them dirty? What you should understand is that true and proper businesses don't operate with the kind of stupidity you just exhibited. It's a numbers game and Ibadan has got it. For your ignorant information, Ibadan have always had supermarkets similar to Shoprite. We've had in the past great department stores. I know for you Shoprite is like Dubai but for us in IB, na just another popular grocery store. I'm sure pretty soon, your type will be moving to Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by kennysbst(m): 3:33pm On Jun 28, 2013
Okija_juju: Ibadan Shoprite opens...

guy leave ur stress.must u av to say anytin dat has to do with western states.abeggi go shop banana kick pucket.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ketoprofen(m): 4:04pm On Jun 28, 2013
laugh wan kill me die

1) and who the hell is asking everybody where they are from? starting with me, am from Enugu state. Am sure u dont want to compare Ibadan to Enugu, the capital or have u got that liver? nonsense.

2) @ CyberG, What are u talking about Adenuga and Dangote? U sure know how to talk wetin u no fit defend.how many Nigerian shopping plazas in Lagos and especially Abuja are not owned by igbos? Abeokuta peeps on this thread has yabbed Ibadan too, so leave igbos out of this. Imagine your own ppl fighting which is beta btw ABK and Ibadan and to think d two wack places are even the most popular of yoruba regions is making me smh. Enugu get shoprite, anambra and abia are stl building theirs , who exactly is envious of ibadan shoprite, and let me tell u, the idea of a foreign shop is not even good for the nigerian economy, so bone that envy talk. Nonsense

3) even with the shoprite, insteading of using their car horns, ibadan men will keep using their mouths to shout at any body/car driver that is obstructing their path on the road.

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by lineal: 4:21pm On Jun 28, 2013
Policewoman: SEE CROWD shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked D place go dey smell like shait!!!!

You're not there to 'shait' your body so I'm sure the place smells fine.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 28, 2013
ketoprofen: laugh wan kill me die

1) and who the hell is asking everybody where they are from? starting with me, am from Enugu state. Am sure u dont want to compare Ibadan to Enugu, the capital or have u got that liver? nonsense.

2) @ CyberG, What are u talking about Adenuga and Dangote? U sure know how to talk wetin u no fit defend.how many Nigerian shopping plazas in Lagos and especially Abuja are not owned by igbos? Abeokuta peeps on this thread has yabbed Ibadan too, so leave igbos out of this. Imagine your own ppl fighting which is beta btw ABK and Ibadan and to think d two wack places are even the most popular of yoruba regions is making me smh. Enugu get shoprite, anambra and abia are stl building theirs , who exactly is envious of ibadan shoprite, and let me tell u, the idea of a foreign shop is not even good for the nigerian economy, so bone that envy talk. Nonsense

3) even with the shoprite, insteading of using their car horns, ibadan men will keep using their mouths to shout at any body/car driver that is obstructing their path on the road.

are u done?abeg carry ur Igbo smelling self away from here...ibadan is wack,yet ur Igbo people keep moving dere.u people and ur hating sha.mtcheew

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Egbagirl(f): 4:29pm On Jun 28, 2013
braveheart2012:

LOL!!! I went slack-jawed when I read that too! I bought my very first rainbow pencil case from Foodco for N80 in 1992! That's almost 20 years ago. 6 months ko! 2 weeks ni. I miss Foodco doughnut and scotch egg! They were legendary through the nineties when it was still at the corner of Osuntokun and that road that goes up to Bodija Mkt/UI.

I miss the cookie they used to have! That stuff was awesome and their doughnuts and pies were great too!!! I actually preferred the foodco at osuntokun/UI.Sec road
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by dezulu1(f): 4:31pm On Jun 28, 2013
I-B.:

Beside cocoa house in Dugbe.
Mr Price and film house are also around cocoa house.

But film house should reduce their charges for a movie, N500 on weekends and N1000 in the week. That is too much angry angry

Foodco has been in Ibadan for over 6months or more now. One is at Odua complex around best way and the one around I think eleyele.
Kfc also has also opened its two branches, one at Bodija along Awolowo avenue and the other one around dugbe.

The pic below is the foodco at odua complex, don't mind my poor pic.
foodco,6mnths ke? U̶̲̥̅̊ must b joking. Foodco has bn in bodija 4 so many years nw..
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ujoinme: 4:33pm On Jun 28, 2013
dezulu1: foodco,6mnths ke? U̶̲̥̅̊ must b joking. Foodco has bn in bodija 4 so many years nw..
Nice. good for the people of ibadan. Ibadan has the population and high middle class residents to sustain many such chains.
I hope it becomes a huge success. because retail can bring in a lot of money to ordinary citizens in nigeria, as it does elsewhere in the world.
If shoprite succeeds in nigeria it will open the nigerian market to many international chains as they will be watching to see how shoprite thrives. And if it does,that will be a major game changer in the nigerian economy.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by mayorall(m): 4:39pm On Jun 28, 2013
I dey gbadun all this Ibadan people. Dem dey make me remember my grandma with the concentrated Yoruba language. Proud of you guys. Guess Ibadan people are friendly. Love you all.

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by cherrykim: 4:56pm On Jun 28, 2013

Thank God, You are bold to answer my question,if not for NYSC i will not have known Enugu, am not talking of shoprite this time around, but to compare other less developed States that like to make noise, when Lagos State,River State, Oyo State are discussing. Kindly do a favour for me, (1) Compare the population density of Ibadan with Enugu
(2) Compare the Utilized land mass of Ibadan with Enugu
(3) Any skyscrappers in Enugu
(4) How many radio and tv stations are in Enugu
(5) my then fellow Enugu corpers are local always aiming to be Lagosian.
(6) Any International Companies or firm loacated in Enugu
All what you know is to tie wrapper (male and female), sell okrika and look for available bus going to lagos. (Bad habit)

8 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Desola(f): 4:58pm On Jun 28, 2013
Ogbeche77: Report has it that customers who visited shoprite on it first day of opening in ibadan were over 102,000, but they recorded just N35,000 sale grin

Suprite ni ilu ibadan, Aku sopping ooo... Sopping atu wa lara ooo grin grin

Lol
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Onuokwu: 5:15pm On Jun 28, 2013
spawnx:

see crowd

Na wa o. Its like they have been disconnected from modern shopping for long.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by africanb(m): 5:49pm On Jun 28, 2013
vosquare: dat local nd dirty ib...y dem no go abk,egbeda,ijebu igbo?? grin grin grin
. Are sure you are well? I don't think so! Show me an ancient city in the whole world that does not have its ghetto. Eeeeediot!
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by CyberG: 6:08pm On Jun 28, 2013
Miss becky: are u done?abeg carry ur Igbo smelling self away from here...ibadan is wack,yet ur Igbo people keep moving dere.u people and ur hating sha.mtcheew

Thank you Queenette Becky! I will be back to deal with his ilk whose only claim to life is their salvation by the superior Yoruba Westerners they like to wash their dirty mouths on! For the record, the Yorubas were actively recorded in world history since the mediaeval times that is the 1400s! The ibos were taught to read and write by the Yorubas, but their propaganda is to hide that away.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 28, 2013
Onuokwu:

Na wa o. Its like they have been disconnected from modern shopping for long.
like it was ever there in ibadan b4
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Pinoralia: 6:19pm On Jun 28, 2013

You called Ibadan a dirty city?
Have u been there this year?
Why will compare Ibadan with Ijebu, Abeokuta...?
Think straight, bro?
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by naptu2: 6:26pm On Jun 28, 2013
gmyguy: like it was ever there in ibadan b4

Below: Kingsway Department Stores Ibadan at christmas time in the 1970s.

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ketoprofen(m): 6:54pm On Jun 28, 2013
cherrykim:
Thank God, You are bold to answer my question,if not for NYSC i will not have known Enugu, am not talking of shoprite this time around, but to compare other less developed States that like to make noise, when Lagos State,River State, Oyo State are discussing. Kindly do a favour for me, (1) Compare the population density of Ibadan with Enugu
(2) Compare the Utilized land mass of Ibadan with Enugu
(3) Any skyscrappers in Enugu
(4) How many radio and tv stations are in Enugu
(5) my then fellow Enugu corpers are local always aiming to be Lagosian.
(6) Any International Companies or firm loacated in Enugu
All what you know is to tie wrapper (male and female), sell okrika and look for available bus going to lagos. (Bad habit)

LWKMD!!! DID U ACTUALLY ASK THESE QUESTIONS esp the last? OMG, u sure have not been to Enugu and dont argue further. Its not even anybody's fault that while igbos are setting their own industries at nnewi, aba and onitsha AND EVEN lAGOS, u are bragging abt foreign firms. keep it up, thats how China, America got there, babe.

My dear, this mustnt call for supporting your tribe. Enugu capital is way finer, better and with refined inhabitants than Ibadan or any ngbatic capital for that matter.
Talking abt nysc, do u want me to tell u what my friend corpers told me abt ibadan and Osogbo? haba

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jun 28, 2013
naptu2:

Below: Kingsway Department Stores Ibadan at christmas time in the 1970s.

ok, but my generation had to manage with foodco, that place opp ui gate...forgotten the name now and dugbe., its nice, i thought that kingsway was in lagos island
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by CyberG: 7:01pm On Jun 28, 2013

1. Which Enugu? Is this not the same Enugu I have been to? FYI, I lived in Eastern Nigeria at some point, now have you ever lived in Ibadan for one day of your miserable life? While some parts of Enugu may be relatively developed today, Ibadan (Oyo State) has been developed from before independence! See for example the picture posted by Naptu below! But here is a picture of Enugu below: [img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_nyWd9oCRBp0kZTpexYktUZ9oqN0-ClXdQdT6B8ILoW7bGYar[/img]

2. If you had sense, you would have noticed my first comment about how Nigeria needs to have it's own store chains, owned and operated by Nigerians so you just copied my initial assertion and thought only to regurgitate it like a beast of no nation! So, your almighty Anambra and Abia are still on the doctor's surgical table to get a Shoprite but you castigate another state, Oyo, that is already ahead of the curve? Why does tribalism rob ibos of all sense? Of course, Shoprite is not an achievement but the point is that a private business investment is a measure of the investor confidence in an economy - state or national! Ibadan trumps everything Enugu has or will have, do you want to go to statistics? I bet not for I don't even have the time to debate emotionally unstable beings amost ibos are turning out to be on NL and in the real world!

3. Well, you are yet to leave the gulag you are in Enugu to get a clue what life is like in Ibadan and it is better not to indulge an animal to make it feel it's a bonafide human being! angry angry

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by naptu2: 7:08pm On Jun 28, 2013
gmyguy: ok, but my generation had to manage with foodco, that place opp ui gate...forgotten the name now and dugbe., its nice, i thought that kingsway was in lagos island

Below: Kingsway Headquarters Marina Lagos in the early 1970s.

I remember riding up and down the escalators, taking the train ride to see santa, bugging my mum cos I wanted to buy the whole store, etc.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_bDcpR_wJ7hk/TVL8LYkfbWI/AAAAAAAAEWs/uCu7KJ2tE54/s400/Kingsway%2Bbuilding%252C%2BLagos%2BMarina%252C%2Bearly%2B70%2527s.jpg[/img]
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by tolusaliu: 7:23pm On Jun 28, 2013
chidindufrank: South Africans making billions in our country, but they don't want our people to have peace in their own country.

Oh sorry is been owned by the Americans not the South Africans but just a branch in South Africa
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Yinkafagoke: 8:45pm On Jun 28, 2013
I was there at opening day,and i shopped rite

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Governor Fayose Joins Muslims For Jumaat Prayers In Ekiti Mosque (Photos) / Did Any Prophet See Or Predict The Election Postponement? / Emefiele Meets Yakubu, Says CBN Will Not Be Used To Frustrate 2023 Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.