Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,028 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi (29070 Views)

Ex-egyptian President, Morsi Jailed 20 Years / Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi – Al Jazeera / Egypt Army Overthrows President Morsi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by superior1: 6:34pm On Jul 03, 2013
The Egyptian army has overthrown President Mohamed Morsi, announcing a roadmap for the country’s political future that will be implemented by a national reconciliation committee.

The head of Egypt's armed forces issued a declaration on Wednesday evening suspending the constitution and appointing the head of the Supreme Constitutional Court, Adli al-Mansour, as interim head of state.

Mansour will be sworn in on Thursday.

Morsi's presidential Facebook page quoted the deposed president as saying he rejected the army statement as a military coup.

In a televised broadcast, flanked by military leaders, religious authorities and political figures, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi effectively declared the removal of Morsi.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/07/20137319828176718.html?utm_content=automate&utm_campaign=Trial6&utm_source=NewSocialFlow&utm_term=plustweets&utm_medium=MasterAccount
www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/egypt-protests-military-coup-under-way-as-time-runs-out-for-mohamed-morsi-8683985.html
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Afam4eva(m): 6:44pm On Jul 03, 2013
UD State Dept says it can't confirm Coup - CNN

Ambulances deployed at Cairo university - CNN
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by superior1: 6:46pm On Jul 03, 2013
The state media already taken over by the military, Morsi's travelling document revolked and armoured tanks on the street,TB Joshua's prophecy isn't needed
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by okosodo: 6:53pm On Jul 03, 2013
They want to islamize egypt. Non-muslims are against it. This is the fight

2 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by okosodo: 7:01pm On Jul 03, 2013
They want to islamize egypt. Non-muslims are against it. This is the fight.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 03, 2013
Afam4eva: UD State Dept says it can't confirm Coup - CNN

Ambulances deployed at Cairo university - CNN
This is serious, always new the brotherhood would not last in a strategic country like Egypt. I won't be surprised if the West endorsed this coup

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 03, 2013
okosodo: They want to islamize egypt. Non-muslims are against it. This is the fight.
NOT only non Muslims, this isn't a Muslim - Christian fight, it's for the rule of law with a some shia- sunni elements

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by ACM10: 7:17pm On Jul 03, 2013
Muslim brotherhood has learnt that it is easier to be in the opposition than to rule.

6 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by vedaxcool(m): 7:37pm On Jul 03, 2013
Nigerians can't seem to think beyond religion, the issue is far complicated than religion,it has to do with the state of the economy, constitution and over expectations and under delivery.

22 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Afam4eva(m): 7:39pm On Jul 03, 2013
vedaxcool: Nigerians can't seem to think beyond religion, the issue is far complicated than religion,it has to do with the state of the economy, constitution and over expectations and under delivery.
Exactly...Morsi was tackling irrelevant religious issues instead of pressing issues

4 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by vedaxcool(m): 7:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
^
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by vedaxcool(m): 7:49pm On Jul 03, 2013
one year is too short for any president to have made any appreciated difference. especially seeing the sort of problems Egypt came out from, even moSt commentators state this, Mitsubishi had actually made some political mistake, but also made efforts in changing the situation, too me the opposition actually frustrated efforts in reaching a common ground.

2 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by superior1: 8:06pm On Jul 03, 2013
Among is many mistakes, I think Morsi was also in too much hurry to fully take over the institutional infrastructures left behind by Mubarak.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by politician(m): 8:16pm On Jul 03, 2013
Cairo (CNN) -- Egyptian troops deployed
around Cairo and the whereabouts of President
Mohamed Morsy were uncertain late
Wednesday as his supporters said a military
coup was under way.
The state-run Middle East News Agency
reported Wednesday night that leaders of the
country's Muslim and Christian communities
would join military leaders and opposition
figures to lay out an agreement "to exit the
current political crisis." And citing "a senior
official source," the state-run Al-Ahram
newspaper reported Wednesday that Morsy "is
no longer a part of the decision-making circle."
"The president is no longer able to make any
political decisions now and a decision has been
taken to prevent leaders loyal to the current
regime from traveling overseas until the General
Command of the Armed Forces are finished
formulating their expected statement," it added.
The report came shortly after a deadline issued
by the generals to Egypt's first democratically
elected leader expired. At the final hour, Morsy
offered to form an interim coalition government
"that would manage the upcoming
parliamentary electoral process, and the
formation of an independent committee for
constitutional amendments to submit to the
upcoming parliament," Morsy said in a posting
on his Facebook page.

the end is almost here for Morsi
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 03, 2013
I like the fact that the chief justice is heading the government rather than the military, it shows maturity

7 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 03, 2013
Thank GOD the turn coat Morsi has been given the boot
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 03, 2013
vedaxcool: one year is too short for any president to have made any appreciated difference. especially seeing the sort of problems Egypt came out from, even moSt commentators state this, Mitsubishi had actually made some political mistake, but also made efforts in changing the situation, too me the opposition actually frustrated efforts in reaching a common ground.
only islamist like you wont see anything good in this

6 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by politician(m): 8:51pm On Jul 03, 2013
Reproduced from
www.nairaland.com/1111300/eyptian-president-issues-decree-giving

Nov 23rd 2012

Speeder wrote.....

Thats what happen when Muslims are in
power. For the first time a muslim comes to
power, and declare himself absolute.
Try it her in Nigeria.

Politician opined.....

not about the muslim brotherhood as a
party, its more of the nature of arabs generally!!
Democracy doesn't just work with them and
when they adopt it, they have their own
version... Always tending towards
totalitarianism!!
♓☺w can a president have the executive
power, grabs the legislative power and bans the
judiciary from ever rescinding his decisions!!
That's not even absolute monarchy, its
Pharaohism...

And moodswing gave a verdict...

Morsi has somehow numbered his days.

What do we call this,
The people protested, some supported morsi and the army finds the arrangement as a threat to the sovereignty of the state.

Constitution suspended, interim govt formed to construct road map ----+ to where if I may ask.

Some cultures forbids the tenet of individual opinion as an integral part of collective decisions...

Democracy won't work for arabs... a group of people with no clear cut diffrence between politics and religion.. it won't

morsi lost his political legitimacy by
alienating the people.
after the spring,
the average citizen just
wanted to have a say.
the opposition goofed,
an OJORO announcement of his impeachment via the
20million signatures would have irked morsi.
he would call their bluff and the military can
come in.

the issue would be.. army removes morsi
after refusing to vacate office, not this coup.
its a bad preceedent, and just Like the spring,
it might spread to other countries.

my major fear hinges on a country where military officers are on trial for supporting an insurgent group sympathetic to a former general.

the popularity of the president remains below average, the ruling party with large nos of generals at daggers- drawn.

I don't just want the military having an idea at all.

ideas Like the ex-general gathering his 12m and millions of new fans and protesting, the military would be more than ready to conduct a voice vote.

Morsi was wrong and the oppositions are creating new problem not just for egypt but the world

8 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jul 03, 2013
I see a very large group of support for morsi staging their own protest in Cairo, i hope the show restraint o as avoid a civil war
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by polokor60(m): 9:08pm On Jul 03, 2013
vedaxcool: one year is too short for any president to have made any appreciated difference. especially seeing the sort of problems Egypt came out from, even moSt commentators state this, Mitsubishi had actually made some political mistake, but also made efforts in changing the situation, too me the opposition actually frustrated efforts in reaching a common ground.
"The people have decided that Mr. Morsy was no
longer the legitimate leader of Egypt," he told CNN. Abadeer said Morsy lost his legitimacy in November, when he declared courts could not review his decrees and ousted the country's prosecutor- general. He said Morsy's supporters in the Muslim
Brotherhood -- the Islamist movement that
propelled Morsy to the presidency -- "hijacked the vote of the people" by running on a religious platform, "

Not my own words.He was intoxicated by the power bestowed on him.Absolute power corrupts the mind.This is a typical case of pride goes before it falls.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 03, 2013
Meanwhile Nigerians are doing sidon look cry cry cry cry

13 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by 50calibre(m): 9:36pm On Jul 03, 2013
Wow! Military coup, damn this is serious. I never thought the military will go this far.

That's their US military funding gone
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by ochukoccna: 9:37pm On Jul 03, 2013
So happy that religious bigot is gone
He failed to read the signs that power belongs to the streets
The fool thought he was Pharoah Morsi
Even if the Moslem Brotherhood incites violence,I expect it to die off sooner than later

50calibre: Wow! Military coup, damn this is serious. I never thought the military will go this far.
You never thought what?!
2 quick things this whole Morsi imbroglio has taught the observant
1] Power belongs to the people,power belongs to the streets. Very important lesson.
2] Once the Army i.e. Armed Forces fail to back any government,that government is as good as gone
America will twist their way round this funding thingy,just watch 50 calibre
Adieu Morsi tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 03, 2013
This should teach the Muslim brotherhood that you cant run a country with religion. Religion needs to be afar from Decision makings when it comes to Government.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by licensed2k(m): 9:39pm On Jul 03, 2013
Change is inevitable...
Jonathan and cohorts take note....

5 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by miky(m): 9:39pm On Jul 03, 2013
even the true muslims of egypt dont want an islamized state in egypt by way of the muslim brotherhood.. but the mugus in naija, the fake muslims are here killing innocent folks..

14 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by IYANGBALI: 9:41pm On Jul 03, 2013
pDude: Meanwhile Nigerians are doing sidon look cry cry cry cry
no mind horse
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Mustay(m): 9:42pm On Jul 03, 2013
"Personally, I think you guys opened Pandoras box with the Arab
Spring. Now you know you've got the power, it seems you can't
control it.

The last I checked, there were only two ways to get rid of a
democratically elected government - vote it out of office or impeach it. This is a coup. Simple."

6 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
50calibre: Wow! Military coup, damn this is serious. I never thought the military will go this far.

The Obama Administration has some 'wiggle room' in dealing with d situation on ground. There won't b any halt to US military aid.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by executinal(m): 9:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
Interesting
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by OBAGADAFFI: 9:43pm On Jul 03, 2013

The US don't really like MORSI and THE MUSLIME BROTHERHOOD.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Military Breach In Sierra Leone / Reuters Report On Nigeria And South Africa's Unending Rivalry / Ukrainian Forces Kill 39th And 40th Russian Colonels.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.