Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi (29058 Views)

Ex-egyptian President, Morsi Jailed 20 Years / Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi – Al Jazeera / Egypt Army Overthrows President Morsi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by candiva2013(m): 10:29pm On Jul 03, 2013
superior1: The state media already taken over by the military, Morsi's travelling document revolked and armoured tanks on the street,TB Joshua's prophecy isn't needed
please, what did Tb joshua say in his prophesy
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by tbaba1234: 10:30pm On Jul 03, 2013
People who say, a coup is the lesser evil haven't read history. Nigerians can attest to that. The military is back in control.

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:
You think Iran is a 'true' democracy? Where they have a supreme leader?

There is no such thing as 'true democracy', each country forge their type of democracy. If Iranians call theirs a democracy, another country can't challenge it

Example: Some 18 yr olds can vote in some democracies and some can't in others.

2 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:33pm On Jul 03, 2013
In democracy, the only legit way to remove your president is through elections. Your vote is your weapon, they say. Why some learned NLanders are in support of this arbitrariness is not clear to me.

This is a bad precedent for budding democracies around the world.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by tbaba1234: 10:33pm On Jul 03, 2013
Prof Corruption:

People continue to misrepresent the issue at stake. Egyptians are knowledgeable enough to know there is no quick fix solution to their problems. But Morsi was not even working on solving the economic problems. He was interested in grabbing as much power as possible for the Muslim Brotherhood to the exclusion of other parties. Even the more conservative Islamic Al Nour party did not like that and the secularists distrust a secretive MB expanding powers even beyond the provisions of constitution it forcefully pushed through.

I understand the mistrust but let him finish his tenure. It is a complicated issue.

Hopefully it turns out well for them
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by cbliss(m): 10:34pm On Jul 03, 2013
Welcome developement was already tryna islamatise d whole nation. Good riddance to bad rubbish now Egypt can now begin a genuine journey to economic sustainability n political stability devoid of religious sentiments.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:35pm On Jul 03, 2013
dare2think:

There is no such thing as 'true democracy', each country forge there type of democracy. If Iranians call theirs a democracy, another country con't challenge it

So having a supreme leader who wields even more power than elected leaders is okay and fundamental to democratic norms?
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by bambam50(m): 10:36pm On Jul 03, 2013
Jst passin bye, still reserved my comment!
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:38pm On Jul 03, 2013
Prof Corruption:

What's a true democracy?
In democracy, the elected are the most powerful. And, remember, I put "true" in inverted comma.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 10:40pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:
So having a supreme leader who wields even more power than elected leaders is okay and fundamental to democratic norms?

That is my point with you, democratic norms vary from country to country. Iran still possess some basic elements of democracy, I.e people will vote for a candidate of their choice etc. Hence, it can still be classified, subjectively, as a democracy, regardless of the Supreme Ayatollah.

America called itself a democracy in a period when black people were not allowed to vote. There is no proper, universally accepted definition of a democracy.

4 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 10:42pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:
In democracy, the elected are the most powerful. And, remember, I put "true" in inverted comma.

Is David Cameron more powerful than the Queen of England?

Yes or No
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by oyeleyemaureen(m): 10:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
military coup? that ain't cool at all
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:

I had a good laugh.

As long as there is regular free, fair and credible election, democracy has been defined more than 60%. The rest are just peculiarities of the environment where such democracy is being practiced.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by tbaba1234: 10:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
Dictatorship all over again!!

Interior Minister closes pro-Morsy channels

In the first decision after President Mohamed Morsy's ouster, Egyptian Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim on Wednesday shut down three main three main pro-Morsy channels.

Al-Masry Al-Youm reported that the minister had taken the decision to close all "religious channels," namely the Muslim Brotherhood-affiliated Misr 25, the Salfi oriented Al-Nas and Al-Hafez channels.

Al-Arabiya chanel quoted Gehad El-Haddad, Muslim Brotherhood spokesperson, as saying transmission of Misr 25 channel had stopped.

The last images reportedly broadcast on Misr 25 were of the army statement that ultimately paved the way for its closure.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/interior-minister-closes-pro-morsy-channels
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by flexshop(m): 10:44pm On Jul 03, 2013
They should have left mubarak but no opposition was better.imagining a buhari presidency if Jonathan is ousted, Morsi part 2
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by seanet01: 10:45pm On Jul 03, 2013
When it suits the west they call it popular revolts. Hope this can be allowed to happen in the satanic anf barbaric saudi arabia
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:46pm On Jul 03, 2013
Imagine, the military gave ultimatum to a democratically-elected government. I believe in secularism, but, if that's what majority of Egyptians wanted (Islam in government), as expressed through a free and fair election in their country, so be it.
What is the essence of elections then? If an elected leader can be toppled so unceremoniously?

There would be no organized government in the West if their military struck every time there was a protest/riot.

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 10:46pm On Jul 03, 2013
Prof Corruption:

I had a good laugh.

As long as there is regular free, fair and credible election, democracy has been defined more than 60%. The rest are just peculiarities of the environment where such democracy is being practiced.

Some will argue that as long as people stand in front of a ballot box, it qualifies as a democracy.

That's how some African leaders manage to stay in power for decades.

Manipulation due to lack of proper definition.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:47pm On Jul 03, 2013
dare2think:

Yes or No
Yes and yes again. Prove me wrong, please
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:48pm On Jul 03, 2013
Prof Corruption:

I had a good laugh.

Imagine, the military gave ultimatum to a democratically-elected government. I believe in secularism, but, if that's what majority of Egyptians wanted (Islam in government), as expressed through a free and fair election in their country, so be it.
What is the essence of elections then? If an elected leader can be toppled so unceremoniously?
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by polokor60(m): 10:48pm On Jul 03, 2013
politician:

as much as I have to agree with you that morsi arrogated excess power to himself. even rigged the referendum on constitution.
arrested opponents etc.

what happened to the constitutional Provisions of impeachment.

the oppositions were collecting signatures but decided to do it the eyptian way.

The alacrity of the military is record-winning, and the posture of the religious leaders during the broadcast. says it all.

it was a grand coup ....mubarak boys are surely back. and morsi actually sent the invitation since nov
You have echo the initial sentiment of the average eygptian.Morsi became the mubarak(dictator) that he fought against during the protest.

The loyalist of mubarak will capitalize on the weakness and failure of morsi and the islamic brotherhood to get back to power.The military gave him a deadline but he could not overcome his arrogance to negiotiate with the aggreived populace of eygpt.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 10:49pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:
Yes and yes again.

I bet millions of Brits disagree.

David Cameron had to ask the Queen for permission to lead HER country.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Caleboha(m): 10:49pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one: In democracy, the only legit way to remove your president is through elections. Your vote is your weapon, they say. Why some learned NLanders are in support of this arbitrariness is not clear to me.

This is a bad precedent for budding democracies around the world.
In any democracy the constitution dictates how a leader should be removed and the people decide the contents of their constitution. No two constitutions are the same no matter how similar the countries are because every nation has its peculiarities
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:50pm On Jul 03, 2013
dare2think:

Yes or No
Maybe you need to tell me why the Labour Party rubbished her while in power
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jul 03, 2013
dare2think:

Some will argue that as long as people stand in front of a ballot box, it qualifies as a democracy.

That's how some African leaders manage to stay in power for decades.

Manipulation due to lack of proper definition.

No, no election is perfect but there's a principle of substantial compliance with electoral laws. Elections do not define democracy if they are not free, fair, credible and regular. We can call it civilian rule if there is civilian control of the military but it won't pass as democracy.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:51pm On Jul 03, 2013
Caleboha: In any democracy the constitution dictates how a leader should be removed and the people decide the contents of their constitution. No two constitutions are the same no matter how similar the countries are because every nation has its peculiarities
What does the constitution in Egypt say about this?
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:52pm On Jul 03, 2013
dare2think:

I bet millions of Brits disagree.

David Cameron had to ask the Queen for permission to lead HER country.
Ceremonial, man. Come off this, man.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by politician(m): 10:53pm On Jul 03, 2013
dare2think:

There is no such thing as 'true democracy', each country forge their type of democracy. If Iranians call theirs a democracy, another country con't challenge it

according to this logic

iran model involves a supremos ayatoullah as nec chairman...

the egypt model includes the army as Part of the oppositions, and protests as a method of impeaching a constitutional elected official!!

morsi lost his political legitimacy by alienating the people.

after the spring, the average citizen just wanted to have a say.

the opposition goofed, an OJORO announcement of his impeachment via the 20million signatures would have irked morsi.
he would call their bluff and the military can come in.

the issue would be.. army removes morsi after refusing to vacate office, not this coup.
its a bad preceedent, and just Like the spring, it might spread to other countries.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by seanet01: 10:53pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one: Imagine, the military gave ultimatum to a democratically-elected government. I believe in secularism, but, if that's what majority of Egyptians wanted (Islam in government), as expressed through a free and fair election in their country, so be it.

There would be no organized government in the West if their military struck every time there was a protest/riot.
on point
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 10:55pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:
Ceremonial, man. Come off this, man.

Be that as it may, you still can not undermine the enormous power she controls unconstitutionally.

Let us not digress.

Legitimacy is key.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by cyco05: 10:56pm On Jul 03, 2013
ojesoj:
Bros, define democracy for me. the Egyptians truelly, i mean truelly understand the definition of DEMOCRACRY. that is what they demonstrated, 17million people protested against Mr Morsi because of BAD LEADERSHIP in just one year into democracy while we(nigerians) have been into democracy fOr the past 14yrs with BAD LEADERSHIP because we are not yet tired of it. if Nigerians like I have, rise above religion, ethnicity and tribe but protest bad leadership, i tell you Nigeria for change within 2yrs because God blessed us with all resources for our sustainability. #PROTESTBADLEADERSHIPNIGERIANS. it starts now. let us get tired of bad leadership and tell them its power to the people as the Egyptian told Mr Morsi who forgot he cannot personalize the office of the president or governor as done here in Nigeria. Protest Nigerians
and have military rule or what?...if egypt were better of with the revolutions this wouldn't be happening plus it is even worse now that the millitary has taken over because the whole 17million voice cannot speak anylonger!!
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:56pm On Jul 03, 2013
Expect another unrest in Egypt next year. They really have to curtail this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ibrahim Keita: Detained Malian President May Be Deported To Senegal – Military / Ukrainian Forces Kill 39th And 40th Russian Colonels. / Reuters Report On Nigeria And South Africa's Unending Rivalry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.