Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,660 members, 7,809,494 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:35 AM

Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi (29059 Views)

Ex-egyptian President, Morsi Jailed 20 Years / Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi – Al Jazeera / Egypt Army Overthrows President Morsi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by 2fine2fast(m): 10:03pm On Jul 03, 2013
Democracy is not for everybody.
Egypt your problems have just begun.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by 50calibre(m): 10:04pm On Jul 03, 2013
Prof Corruption: "Whoever brings religion to use in politics or in favour of one group at the expense of another will fall anywhere in the world. The summary of what is happening in Egypt is the fall of what is called political Islam."
---Bashar Assad, The embattled Syrian President.

Turkish prime minister Erdogan will be shivering on his sit right now.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by since1914(m): 10:06pm On Jul 03, 2013
The Egyptians brought these upon themselves. When they had the opportunity to do the right thing by picking a secularist, they played the religious card by installing Morsi, a member of a fanatic group that had been outlawed for well over sixty years. During the revolution, every Egyptian irrespective of their religion claimed oneness, but when it was time for elections, they choosed a Fanatic over a secularist (claiming he was a stooge of the millitary)...only to run back to the same millitary to help them execute an illegality. For as far as the rule of law is concerned, what happened this evening is illegal and the Egyptians have set a very bad precedence.

From today henceforth, the Muslim Brotherhood will officially become a terrorist organization; because they simply will not go down without a fight, not after they have tasted power for close to a year. The best solution would have been to extract some firm commitments from Morsi to carry out constitutional reforms (under which they could have weakened his powers) and then use the in coming parliament to impeach him. unfortunately, the deed has been done. The coptic Christians, moderates and secularists should not be deceived by all these because by the next election, all the old cracks will appear within the ranks of the opposition again. This just a circle and the ultimate beneficiary will be the Egyptian Millitary.

3 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by tbaba1234: 10:06pm On Jul 03, 2013
colly227:

Bro get your facts right..Muslims have different sects which is a major factor why they have other sects of muslims as opposition. Morsi is finding a way to impose Sharia on it's citizens.

Egypt is predominantly sunni so the sect issue is not the problem neither is sharia.

Egyptians seem to feel that Morsi loyalty is to his party not the people. The level of corruption is still quite high. One egyptian wrote on twitter yesterday that the corruption in one year was worse than the 40 years of Mubarak. An exaggeration? yes but that seems to be the general feeling.

My question is, Are you going to kick out the next guy, if he fails? It sets a very dangerous precedent.

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 10:07pm On Jul 03, 2013
50calibre:

If I were him, I'll call the leader of the protesters and do it the Nigerian way.

And also monitor the military more closely.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by ojesoj(m): 10:07pm On Jul 03, 2013
colly227:
Who told you they have risen about religion and tribe? When you talk about democracy I can boldly tell you Egypt won't be able to handle it with the way they are going.
Bros, define democracy for me. the Egyptians truelly, i mean truelly understand the definition of DEMOCRACRY. that is what they demonstrated, 17million people protested against Mr Morsi because of BAD LEADERSHIP in just one year into democracy while we(nigerians) have been into democracy fOr the past 14yrs with BAD LEADERSHIP because we are not yet tired of it. if Nigerians like I have, rise above religion, ethnicity and tribe but protest bad leadership, i tell you Nigeria for change within 2yrs because God blessed us with all resources for our sustainability. #PROTESTBADLEADERSHIPNIGERIANS. it starts now. let us get tired of bad leadership and tell them its power to the people as the Egyptian told Mr Morsi who forgot he cannot personalize the office of the president or governor as done here in Nigeria. Protest Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Adekdammy: 10:07pm On Jul 03, 2013
i pray dis wont result into violence, watching aljazeera na and at nasr city in egypt, they are saying its a coup dat is not only against democracy but against islam, so they shud fight with their blood.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Adekdammy: 10:08pm On Jul 03, 2013
i pray dis wont result into violence, watching aljazeera na and at nasr city in egypt, they are saying its a coup dat is not only against democracy but against islam, so they shud fight with their blood.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by siraj1402(m): 10:08pm On Jul 03, 2013
okosodo: They want to islamize egypt. Non-muslims are against it. This is the fight
Infact you are a learner and it shows you are not current with global issues.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 03, 2013
vedaxcool: one year is too short for any president to have made any appreciated difference. especially seeing the sort of problems Egypt came out from, even moSt commentators state this, Mitsubishi had actually made some political mistake, but also made efforts in changing the situation, too me the opposition actually frustrated efforts in reaching a common ground.

What an idiotic comment
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
defemz:

Love this write up, was about writing along the same line. Democracy is not for muslim Arabs. Their religion and the very tenets of democracy are fundamentally in conflict. To resolve this is to scrap one for the other. Their religion is more important to them, so democracy has to give. Nigeria is a case in point, the predominantly christian south agitated for democracy while the muslim north was more comfortable with the military rule. Muslims are wild horses, they need strong fisted person to steer them, since they are inherently violent in nature, they respond more positively to violent and strong-fisted ruler, a case in point is the way Jonathan initially handled the boko haram issue with too much docility. Notice a drastic turnaround in his fight with boko haram when he opted for the use of force. The west are just wasting their time, democracy will never work for the muslims.

Fallacy of the highest order. Is there no democracy in Turkey? What's happening in Iran if not democracy? As rudimentary as it seems, Pakistan is a democracy. Back home in Africa, senegal is a democracy. Isn't it? Democracy can work anywhere in the world as long as it's executed in the interest of the majority with basic rights of the minority guaranteed.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:
What too much of CNN/Western media does to Africans wink grin

The military did not sack the government to enthrone one of their own, so that negates the conspiracy theory of those calling it a coup. Morsi's ascension to power was as a fallout of similar protests in Tahrir square few years ago. Infact, the military were instrumental to his becoming president. The Egyptian military cannot watch helplessly as their nation slides into anarchy.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by tbaba1234: 10:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
I asked the same question to an egyptian yesterday, What happens if the next guy fails?? Are you going to continue this cycle of demonstration??
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 10:10pm On Jul 03, 2013
tbaba1234:

Egypt is predominantly sunni so the sect issue is not the problem neither is sharia.

Egyptians seem to feel that Morsi loyalty is to his party not the people. The level of corruption is still quite high. One egyptian wrote on twitter yesterday that the corruption in one year was worse than the 40 years of Mubarak. An exaggeration? yes but that seems to be the general feeling.

My question is, Are you going to kick out the next guy, if he fails? It sets a very dangerous precedent.

Objectively, you are right, it does set a dangerous precedent. If Egyptians are not happy again, more protests, more military interventions and more instability.

I blame Morsi's arrogance and pride for the calamity that is about to rain down on Egypt. (I know some will still blame the west, but the West did not force 22 million out on to the streets)
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 03, 2013
okosodo: They want to islamize egypt. Non-muslims are against it. This is the fight.

i'll urge ppl like u to learn nd stop tellin d world hw ignorant u re.

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jul 03, 2013
50calibre:

Turkey's case is diametrically different from that of Egypt. Under an Islamist party, Turkey has prospered. The statistics is there for all to see. besides, the "islamic bias" in Turkey is being implemented gradually not taken over completely as the Muslim Brotherhood envisaged in Egypt.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by HezronLorraine(m): 10:14pm On Jul 03, 2013
Egypt after years of being under undemocratic dictatorship not only protested fearlessly for the ousting of Hosni Mubarak,also they have done the same to remove even the democratically elected president Morsi.
Yesterday,a researcher by name Hamid in Doha,Qatar via CNN said the ultimatum given to Mubarak to meet the people's demand by the army and option of military intervention is part of the military's dedication to good democracy and not mordern dictatorship as Morsi displays.one can see clearly that the Egyptian army isn't interested in control of power as the head Justice is to be sworn in.
The man Morsi,even after the strong protest still made bold claims to go ahead with his radical doctrines and principles in administering the government.

Tunisia to as taken a cue from their brothers.how I wish this same wind can blow to the shores of Nigeria.but we don't have that strong quality abd tested man or woman who would be blameless with full support of every tribe,religion,region,culteure,class e.t.c.
The Jonah we know better pass the Buhari wey dey promise.
I'm still yet to see what becomes of Edrogan,the turkish PM.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
The US govt has just ordered a mandatory evacuation of non-essential American embassy staff- CNN
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by OchukoisBlack(m): 10:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
Egyptian populace is just a model of active citizens. Demanding for change forcefully wen d govt is sleeping. Morsi had this coming. I love wat d military did installing a civilian as interim leader. Hope the roadmap leads em to peace!
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by 50calibre(m): 10:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
dare2think:

If I were him, I'll call the leader of the protesters and do it the Nigerian way.

And also monitor the military more closely.

Don't mind him, he is acting all macho and defiant.

The opposition and military there may draw inspiration from Egypt ( that is if the military doesn't have it's strings being pulled from behind the scene by the politicians)
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by siraj1402(m): 10:17pm On Jul 03, 2013
Obiagelli: I like the fact that the chief justice is heading the government rather than the military, it shows maturity
Which kind maturity when the military restrained the power of been commander in the cheif of army forces.The opinion of 51% can not be respected of which out of the remaining 49%,certain persentage are nutral.Its a long planned coup.

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by musiwa28: 10:17pm On Jul 03, 2013
well
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nuzo1(m): 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2013
Morsi thot his radicallism and support from the Islamic fundamentalists called Muslim Brotherhood was going to protect his presidential seat. Dude was delusional!

Egytians revolted with the hope of getting rogues like Mubarak out of their way. It just didn't matter if they used any means....and in this case; Muslim Brotherhood.

On assumption of power, the Egytians quickly realized that the Brotherhood had ulterior motive (Sharia). And immediately, they resumed another fresh round of protest.
The military waited patiently to see what Morsi really had in mind...and he revealed it by some of his illigimate actions in the Judiciary...coupled with discrimination against coptic Christians and Shia Muslims.
The values of togethernes and peace of which Egypt is known for was being eroded by Muslim radicals.

Then it was time for the military to move in..

3 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by ibkgab001: 10:19pm On Jul 03, 2013
RELIGION + POLITICS = MILITARY RULE grin

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by tbaba1234: 10:19pm On Jul 03, 2013
Popularity polls change. The fact that a leader is not popular in his first year in office does not mean he will not get better.

I sincerely think egyptians got this one wrong,this stop-start approach does not help the country.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by teniyi(m): 10:21pm On Jul 03, 2013
okosodo: They want to islamize egypt. Non-muslims are against it. This is the fight.
Do you listen to news at all? Mumu
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by TechyGuy: 10:21pm On Jul 03, 2013
Is Buhari and his muslim brotherhood ACN/CPC and Boko Haram, seeing this?

9 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by InvertedHammer: 10:25pm On Jul 03, 2013
Obiagelli:
This is serious, always new the brotherhood would not last in a strategic country like Egypt. I won't be surprised if the West endorsed this coup

/
The West will not do anything. Did you see the massive protest? There is a difference between some disgruntled elements shooting their ways to power and the one anchored on popular opinion/action.

Besides, the army chief is not the new President. He cleared the way for sanity to return to the nation.
In Nigeria, you shoot your way to power to become a maxim leader. Therein lies the difference.

//
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 10:27pm On Jul 03, 2013
tbaba1234: Popularity polls change. The fact that a leader is not popular in his first year in office does not mean he will not get better.

I sincerely think egyptians got this one wrong,this stop-start approach does not help the country.

I somewhat disagree. The new leader had started showing traces of the old deposed one. He was showing traces of tyranny under the guise of democracy. The Egyptians refused to be fooled and docile.

To add fire to explosion, he started leaning towards 'Islamification' of the constitution. The military had to get involved, millions on the streets already, the situation could easily transform to Syria.

He lost legitimacy. In politics, under any type of leadership, be it democracy or authoritarian or Monarchy, you lose legitimacy, you lose power.

He is lucky he is still alive. If this happened in the 70s or 80s, his body would have been paraded at the back of a military wagon.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 03, 2013
tbaba1234: Popularity polls change. The fact that a leader is not popular in his first year in office does not mean he will not get better.

People continue to misrepresent the issue at stake. Egyptians are knowledgeable enough to know there is no quick fix solution to their problems. But Morsi was not even working on solving the economic problems. He was interested in grabbing as much power as possible for the Muslim Brotherhood to the exclusion of other parties. Even the more conservative Islamic Al Nour party did not like that and the secularists distrust a secretive MB expanding powers even beyond the provisions of constitution it forcefully pushed through.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:28pm On Jul 03, 2013
Prof Corruption:
What's happening in Iran if not democracy? .

You think Iran is a 'true' democracy? Where they have a supreme leader?

2 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:
You think Iran is a 'true' democracy? Where they have a supreme leader?

What's a true democracy?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ukrainian Forces Kill 39th And 40th Russian Colonels. / Why India May Ban Twitter, Facebook & Instagram / Reuters Report On Nigeria And South Africa's Unending Rivalry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.