Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,960 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" (16543 Views)

Mistreatment Of Employees By Indian Company's In Nigeria / Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? / Please Advise,am I Been Enslaved Or Am An Ingrate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by vivaciousvivi(f): 3:16pm On Jul 12, 2013
@ Efemena XY: You are wonderfully wise
@ Natasha: You have no clue what you are saying. I have met countless graduates who slave far more than your pure water sellers - who have their own resumption and closing time. The worst they face are working under the elements for petty margins at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, I am not alluding that they are not hardworking. But your thinking that there aren't countless graduates who are being taken advantage off- especially marketers and sales people, is wrong. BTW, I used to work for an Indian firm, and I know what Indians are capable of.
@ Poster: Pele. A lot of people have given sound advice. I would however like to add that before you leave, make sure that you have another job to move to. Additionally, READ THE FINE PRINT before you sign ANYTHING in your life ever again. God Bless you.

1 Like

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by indianin9ja(m): 3:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: animal go back to India .

Why should I? I have a valid visa. If Nigerians have the right to stay in UK or US for business, why can't I stay in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by indianin9ja(m): 3:47pm On Jul 12, 2013
dd_jay:
by slavery in nigeria we mean domestication,hard labour,no incentive,stingy/low pay even wen dia making millions (airtel), and d list is endless. Ds we know wit indian companies,we cant all be lying na

Sure, there are complaints against Indian businesses. But this is a free country with a free market. If the compensation isn't good, why work for them?

Think about it from their perspective: If they're more than willing to work for N100k (more applicants than spots available), why pay even a single kobo more?

1 Like

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by indianin9ja(m): 3:52pm On Jul 12, 2013
redsun:

Why would I work for anybody in my own country? Indian for that matter?Won't I just till the land and live of the land?

I wasn't talking about you specifically. At the end of the day, the way to communicate that Indian businesses' wages are too low isn't by spewing hate on Nairaland or commit racist acts against Indians, but to stop working for them. However, that isn't the case, as there are thousands if not millions willing to work for Indian-owned businesses in this country. The fact of the matter is that Nigeria has a huge unemployment problem (very much like India, I might add), and this drives the wages low (but actually not as low as in India).
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by shakespere: 4:53pm On Jul 12, 2013
I work in HR,so i am qualified to advise you.

The bond is illegal, what the Nigerian labour states is 2 weeks notice period.

It is understandable if they are investing in you- training oversea, professional induction etc, they would want you to stay for some time so they can gain from their investment. Every right thinking human being will understand this and it would be selfish to leave any how. This is not the case, they just want to keep you- cheap labour. Please walk out after your notice period and let them take you to court and bring out their yeye document. I can assure you they won't!

However be cautious of the following:

* Make sure you have secured another job, its not easy these days
* Do not fight them, so that when your new company writes to them wanting to know about you, they would not destroy you.

In all no one can enslave you unless you allow them.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by beauty4(f): 5:08pm On Jul 12, 2013
Enslavement is an understatement when u talk about the indians. They are in this country to ruin it. U need to know how they treat staff in dangote. U wil b sorry 4 naija. I heard they are slaues in other countries but kings in naija. God wil help us. @op, ur health is d most important. U can leave them on health grounds.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by bibiking7(m): 8:03pm On Jul 12, 2013
kushe: @Natasha

People will never realise the value of truth till its consequence strikes them.Are Nigerian graduates lazy?In my own assessment,absolutely with a capital A.how about their sense of entitlement? These bunch of poorly educated so called stars(especially the ones post NYSC)attend job interviews and mention sums they intend to earn,sums that are so divergent from their numerical abilities.They hardly can write a decent letter with the right tenses,can hardly think backwards to solve a simple problem and yet they feel they deserve the world.If I have not met and interviewed a whole bunch of them then I would be totally unfair right now but it is just pathetic how bad our products are and Natasha ,let them crucify you,your tone was stern but absolutely required.
To those of you shouting Indian this,Indian that,go outside the shores of this country and sign any form of bond with the intention to breach it and get schooled in what the word 'cicilized' means.We all talk about your word being your bond and not reneging on a promise made.Haven't you ever heard that you can't eat your cake and have it?You signed a bond that stipulated the terms of your release.if you are not happy,guy produce the 250k and stop immersing the reputation of those of us that intend to live right in the mire of a perceived morally bankrupt existence.

Your generalisation is an insult to the hard working youths in Nigeria. Fine, you can say a large percentage of the youths (if you so wish) But your statement makes it sound like all the youths are lazy. Not good at all madam. the way some of us hustle is beyond your comprehension.

As for the enslaved OP. I would never advise anyone to leave a job without getting another one (except na factory work, cos i don hear say people hand dey cut for there). So, if you dont have another job, better dey hustle dey go. Most of these companies make people sign bonds, cos they dont want to spend money training a staff then he runs away to use the acquired skills in another company. But, if the stress is too much for you, just do something to make them sack you. Or just stay at home. No be by force, as long as you no steal them money. OR, you can just call suge knight and give him the address of your oga and he would do to them what he did to eazy e from the pent house balcony.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by adetsim(m): 8:33pm On Jul 12, 2013
Efemena_xy: I'm no legal practitioner but here's my two cents worth of advice:

~ First of all, whip out your Contract of Employment you were given and carefully go through the Terms of Agreement you signed up for.

~ Next, look for where they haven't honoured their end of the deal. You mentioned that part of the agreement was that they provide you with a car for ease of mobility. They haven't done that yet, even after six months. So you have a strong point here to use against them: i.e 'Breach of Contract'. If you can prove how much this has put a drain on your resources (receipts, etc), then even better.

Make a written official complaint to your employers that they haven't met up on their obligations to you with respect to providing you with transportation if you haven't already done so. Request also that they compensate you for your expenses over the last six months. Send them an email, then await their response. If after a few days you get no reply from them, then send a follow-up email. DO NOT DELETE YOUR EMAIL OR THEIR RESPONSE. It's your proof which you're hoping to use against them in your favour.

~ Secondly, go visit your doctor and explain the mental stress this job is exerting in you and how it's affecting your daily life, eg: unable to sleep at night, panic attacks, etc. You're doing this for two purposes: to get some medical help AND proof later on that you can use to exit that company on the grounds of health issues. Your doctor should keep a copy of the outcome of your visit.

~ Finally, be strong. Speak to friends and family members so they can provide you with the emotional support you need. Find the services of a good lawyer if you can too for more advice on what you can do and the options available to you.

Best of luck!

This is excellent.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by adetsim(m): 8:50pm On Jul 12, 2013
mgbeketoto: Thank your stars you are employed.
No job is without stress. . .EVEN IF YOU OWN YOUR OWN COMPANY. cool
The reason MOST Nigerians opt for 'get-rich-quick' schemes while living above their means!
It is your first job. . . it comes with the territory!
Learn to relax and take things in stride.
Your health should be a priority. . . THIS IS A TEST AND YOU ARE FAILING ALREADY! kiss
You have a CONTRACT. . . don't spend money on HUNGRY LAWYERS! cool

Your next job might put you NEXT TO SATAN! cheesy
DO NOT MAKE YOUR JOB YOUR WORLD. . . learn to DE-STRESS and have some fun!

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS. . .MAKE LEMONADE.

2 years is not a lifetime!
When you have appples. . . THEN YOU CAN MAKE APPLE-CIDER! kiss

mgbeketoto, I am feeling what this complainant is saying because I had worked under Airtel indians before and I know the hyper-hell we went through. Indians will never change. See they don't see their staffs as human beings in as much as you are a Nigerian and you know, no government cares about their expatriate qouta or work permit , or how Nigeria citizens are being treated by these expatriates all in the name of foreign investors/ investments in Nigeria.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by adetsim(m): 8:50pm On Jul 12, 2013
mgbeketoto: Thank your stars you are employed.
No job is without stress. . .EVEN IF YOU OWN YOUR OWN COMPANY. cool
The reason MOST Nigerians opt for 'get-rich-quick' schemes while living above their means!
It is your first job. . . it comes with the territory!
Learn to relax and take things in stride.
Your health should be a priority. . . THIS IS A TEST AND YOU ARE FAILING ALREADY! kiss
You have a CONTRACT. . . don't spend money on HUNGRY LAWYERS! cool

Your next job might put you NEXT TO SATAN! cheesy
DO NOT MAKE YOUR JOB YOUR WORLD. . . learn to DE-STRESS and have some fun!

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS. . .MAKE LEMONADE.

2 years is not a lifetime!
When you have appples. . . THEN YOU CAN MAKE APPLE-CIDER! kiss

mgbeketoto, I am feeling what this complainant is saying because I had worked under Airtel indians before and I know the hyper-hell we went through. Indians will never change. See they don't see their staffs as human beings in as much as you are a Nigerian and you know, no government cares about their expatriate qouta or work permit , or how Nigeria citizens are being treated by these expatriates all in the name of foreign investors/ investments in Nigeria.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by adetsim(m): 8:55pm On Jul 12, 2013
indianin9ja: OP, as an Indian living in Nigeria, here's my two cents.

Stop calling it "Slavery". This is very misleading, and may incite hatred. I sometimes experience anti-Indian hatred from Nigerians here, and it is misleading rumours like this that contribute to racism against Indians here in Nigeria.

After all, you signed up to the contract. If you had any common sense at all, you'd come to expect that the job is hell or else they wouldn't bond you for 2 years. Why would a great job bond their employees with such a hefty penalty.

Yes, you can try to find if they also breach the contract, in which case the contract would be null and void. But I've come to learn that the legal enforcement of this country really means nothing, and perhaps a bribe by your employer would mean that you have no case against them.

Anyway, best of luck. Stop hating on Indians.

Good comment
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by blackbeau1(f): 10:12pm On Jul 12, 2013
I understand what is happening to you but you need to understand something Jobs are hard to come by in Nigeria.if you quit now, you will end up coming back to this forum to tell us you regret quitting your job
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by FarmTech(m): 10:29pm On Jul 12, 2013
Efemena_xy: I'm no legal practitioner but here's my two cents worth of advice:

~ First of all, whip out your Contract of Employment you were given and carefully go through the Terms of Agreement you signed up for.

~ Next, look for where they haven't honoured their end of the deal. You mentioned that part of the agreement was that they provide you with a car for ease of mobility. They haven't done that yet, even after six months. So you have a strong point here to use against them: i.e 'Breach of Contract'. If you can prove how much this has put a drain on your resources (receipts, etc), then even better.

Make a written official complaint to your employers that they haven't met up on their obligations to you with respect to providing you with transportation if you haven't already done so. Request also that they compensate you for your expenses over the last six months. Send them an email, then await their response. If after a few days you get no reply from them, then send a follow-up email. DO NOT DELETE YOUR EMAIL OR THEIR RESPONSE. It's your proof which you're hoping to use against them in your favour.

~ Secondly, go visit your doctor and explain the mental stress this job is exerting in you and how it's affecting your daily life, eg: unable to sleep at night, panic attacks, etc. You're doing this for two purposes: to get some medical help AND proof later on that you can use to exit that company on the grounds of health issues. Your doctor should keep a copy of the outcome of your visit.

~ Finally, be strong. Speak to friends and family members so they can provide you with the emotional support you need. Find the services of a good lawyer if you can too for more advice on what you can do and the options available to you.

Best of luck!

you gave a very helpful tip.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by zada(m): 11:59pm On Jul 12, 2013
@Natasha, if only u know the series of interview sessions nigerian graduates go thru to get a job then u would agree with me we r the best. sincerly I recent ur reasoning cos its shallow, u speak of people in the uk working at -4c let me tell u, if there is job satisfaction the weather wldnt even count. In this case there is no job satisfaction and certain obligations hv not been met by the oda party wch is the employer.being a sales representative takes a lot of movement and mobility is of essence, incase u r brainless to knw dat lagos/nigeria doesn't have alternative means of transportation unlike in uk u mentioned.let's call a spade a spade,u hv nufting to loose xcept u have collected a loan with the coy or by any chance u r indepted to them, if not dat paper u signed is null and void from the day u decide to stop dat job.u decided to accept and as well u decided to leave no string attached, it wasn't a job that u agreed after doing this u get paid and u ended up starting without finishing dat will be a bridge of contract. Let them employ anoda person simple!the worst there can be is for u to give a notice of resignation in lieu of the salary u have collected. Oton! U don't nid any lawyer for dat.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by omar0001: 6:23am On Jul 13, 2013
Natasha is right.. the boy is lazy.
Daft too..
Before you sign ANYTHING,..
know what you are signing.
Oga Graduate?
Can't you pull out anything good from it?
Good travel experiece? Cultivating new relationships? Proffesional experience?
Do you think you'll work for someone forever?
Its only 2 years!
Grow some balls and start thinking for yourself..
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by andyanders: 8:42pm On Jul 14, 2013
U can hold the company on the ground of not keeping their own terms by providing a car to enable you run for the marketing of their products.

You get a legal practitioner and see if you can use that as a means of getting out of the job.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by asalimpo(m): 7:15pm On Dec 27, 2014
Your word is your bond,honour it.
Its harsh,but the pains you go through is training, receive it gracefully.

Yes, theyre harsh,but dyu know what they suffer when theyre used and dumped by employees?
Employees suckng up on them just for work experience.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Public Relations Career / The 10 Skills That Will Get You Hired In 2013 / Eight (8) Ways To Achieve Success In Your Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.