Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,753 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online (19764 Views)

Pope Francis To Wash & Kiss The Feet Of 4 Nigerian Catholics, 3 Muslims,5 Others / Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 2:45pm On Jul 28, 2013
honeric01:

They appeared from where?

I dont know. Do you?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 2:54pm On Jul 28, 2013
honeric01:
I hope you know there are level of sins?

Yes.

honeric01:
Ever heard of sins against the holy spirit? and do you know what the bible says about such sins?

That they will not be forgiven, either in this world or in the next. Hmm...this would mean that there are sins that can be forgiven in the next world. Not so? So is it at the final judgement that these sins will be forgiven...or after the final judgement?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 3:03pm On Jul 28, 2013
honeric01:
Cutting off my hand is a sin against me and also against God, if you come to me to ask for forgiveness and i refuse to forgive you and truly in your heart you sought for that forgiveness, you go to God and you're forgiven by God, my not forgiving you won't stop you from making heaven if you end up dying in Christ, if i die without forgiving you, i'm likely to make hell because my own sins can only be forgiven when i forgive others.

You are saying that I will go to heaven with sins that have been retained?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Ubenedictus(m): 3:16pm On Jul 28, 2013
The Pope's Twitter account is @Pontifex and has over 2,600,000 followers, while its Spanish version is @Pontifex_es has nearly three million followers worldwide.

http://www.latinospost.com/articles/23964/20130719/pope-francis-forgive-twitter-followers-sins-online.htm
this is false information, nobody can forgive sins thru the twitter nor does the pope attempt to do so. What he grants is indulgence, nobody is asked to confess sins on twitter and nobody is retweeting anybody's sin.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Ubenedictus(m): 3:31pm On Jul 28, 2013
Youngzedd:

NA SOOOOOOOOOOH WE NO SEND THEM (HATERS) I WILL TELL OUR PARISH PRIEST TO UPGRADE TO SOCIAL MEDIA BECAUSE AT TIMES GOING TO THE CHURCH AND SITTING TILL IT'S YOUR TURN IS BORING. WITH THIS I CAN CONFESS THROUGH FACEBOOK, TWITTER OR NAIRALAND.

YESSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

WE ARE IMPROVING.........
sorry my dear, e-confession is impossible and the pope never said he will be forgiving sins on twitter, the pope doesn't even hear confessions. He only granted indulgence to those who followed the wyd on twitter and other mass media.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Ubenedictus(m): 3:34pm On Jul 28, 2013
jahlove4jah: For sins to be forgiven by God, the sinner need more than confession, if needs to turn around from his sinful course proverbs 28: 13 .
nobody can disagree with this.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Ubenedictus(m): 3:40pm On Jul 28, 2013
Iceslizer:

I thought the Pope was infallible undecided undecided
for catholics infallibility doesn't mean the pope is incapable of sin. Sorry if you misunderstood what catholics mean by infallibility.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Ubenedictus(m): 3:48pm On Jul 28, 2013
Thanks for this lacum.
lacum: but why are human beings like this? pls nairalanders, d headline is misleading. this must have been written by a non catholic to discrdit d church. indulgence does not mean forgiveness of sin but d forgivenes of d punishment due to sin. confession cannot be done online and will never be. pls read d article carefully and u will notice where it was said dat people will receive a plenary indulgence only when they follow d peogramme prayerfully and must have confessed their since to a priest. tks
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 4:49pm On Jul 28, 2013
italo:

"He who lives and believes in me will NEVER die..."--John 11:26

The same verse goes on to ask:

"Do you believe this?"

I'll be curious to know your answer.

I thought you wanted to stay on the topic of forgiveness.

That's why the bible used "sleep" for those who died knowing God. that does not mean they're a living "mortal".

Or does it mean those who died from time are still alive in this world?

Yes, lets stay on topic.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 4:51pm On Jul 28, 2013
italo:

I dont know. Do you?

Maybe you did since they weren't vision to you. since you do not know where they came from, why then do you believe it wasn't a vision? anything to back that up even when Jesus said "say to no one concerning this vision"?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 4:52pm On Jul 28, 2013
italo:

Yes.

That they will not be forgiven, either in this world or in the next. Hmm...this would mean that there are sins that can be forgiven in the next world. Not so? So is it at the final judgement that these sins will be forgiven...or after the final judgement?

I don't know, you tell us if you do.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 4:53pm On Jul 28, 2013
italo:

You are saying that I will go to heaven with sins that have been retained?

A human being like yourself can't stop you from making heaven whether they forgive you or not as long as God's forgiven you.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Ubenedictus(m): 5:00pm On Jul 28, 2013
honeric01:

If the sin is directly to God, a man can't forgive sins committed against God.

Same to you.
sorry my dear,
the bible tells me Jesus granted the power to forgive sins in his name. Jesus gave them his own ministry. Listen to what he said: "peace be with you, as the father sends me so i send you...recieve the holyspirit. Whose sins you forgiven them and whose sins you retain are retained".
Are you telling me that Jesus was sending them with the holyspirit not to forgive sins but to forgive faults?
Please read your bible again.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 5:32pm On Jul 28, 2013
Ubenedictus: sorry my dear,
the bible tells me Jesus granted the power to forgive sins in his name. Jesus gave them his own ministry. Listen to what he said: "peace be with you, as the father sends me so i send you...recieve the holyspirit. Whose sins you forgiven them and whose sins you retain are retained".
Are you telling me that Jesus was sending them with the holyspirit not to forgive sins but to forgive faults?
Please read your bible again.

Going back that passage, who then were given the power to forgive and retain sins? one person? the 12? all 70 disciples or everyone?

if humans can forgive and retain sins, why do we still need God to forgive our sins and what's the essence of the great judgement day for both the righteous and the wicked?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 5:39pm On Jul 28, 2013
italo:

APOSTLES!

Were Paul, Timothy and other post-Jesus death included?

King James used DISCIPLES, not APOSTLE.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 5:45pm On Jul 28, 2013
Can Man Forgive Sins?

BY WAYNE JACKSON

“Does any man have the right to forgive sins? Some suggest that Jesus granted this authority to the apostles, and then, through them, to others (see John 20:23). Can you explain this passage?”
Shortly before His ascension, Jesus said to his apostles: “whose soever sins ye forgive, they are forgiven unto them; whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained” (John 20:23). The Roman Catholic Church teaches that Christ was actually granting to the apostles the authority to forgive sins, and that the apostles passed on to their successors (supposedly the Roman priesthood) the same license to pardon sin.

This position is false. Consider the following points.
No interpretation is to be placed upon a difficult and obscure passage (such as this one) that would place it in direct conflict with numerous other clear texts. The fact is, though all Christians are to forgive one another, i.e., have a forgiving disposition (Eph. 4:32), ultimately, only God can bestow absolute pardon (cf. Psa. 130:4; Isa. 43:25; Dan. 9:9; Mic. 7:18; Acts 8:22). The Lord did not grant that right to the apostles or anyone else.
There is a biblical idiom whereby one sometimes is said to actually do what he is merely authorized to declare. Note:

Pharaoh’s butler said regarding Joseph, “. . . me he [Joseph] restored unto mine office, and him [the baker] he hanged” (Gen. 41:13). Joseph did not actually restore the butler to his office, nor did he personally hang the baker. He merely announced, by prophetic insight, what the fate of these men would be.
Did God appoint Jeremiah to actually destroy and overthrow kingdoms (Jer. 1:10), or merely to declare their destiny? The answer should be obvious. See also Ezekiel 43:3.

The Greek tenses of John 20:23 make it clear that the apostles were authorized only to announce the terms of forgiveness, and that upon the basis of God’s previous appointment. Literally, the text suggests: “Those whose sins you forgive, have already been forgiven; those whose sins you do not forgive, have not already been forgiven.” The first verbs in the two clauses are aorist tense forms, while the second verbs are in the perfect tense.

The perfect tense verbs imply an abiding state which commenced before the action of the aorists. In other words, the apostles (and others since that time) were only authorized to declare forgiveness consistent with what the Lord had already determined. In a comprehensive treatment of this passage, noted Greek scholar J.R. Mantey pointed out that the Greek “fathers” never quoted this passage in support of the concept of absolution (see Journal of Biblical Literature, 58, 1939, pp. 243-249). For further comment, see: Boyce Blackwelder, Light from the Greek New Testament, Anderson, In: Warner, 1958, pp. 80-81.

Finally, this conclusion is confirmed by the fact that the apostles, on the day of Pentecost, in harmony with the Spirit’s guidance, did not personally forgive the sins of anyone; rather, they merely announced the conditions of pardon to which men and women were amenable. To believers who sincerely inquired: “. . . what shall we do?”, Peter responded, "Repent ye, and be immersed every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins. . . " (Acts 2:37-38).

Subsequently the reader is informed that: "They then that received his word were immersed. . . " (41). Hence, we conclude, upon the basis of this testimony, that by means of that word, they received the forgiveness of their sins.
John 20:23 does not sanction the modern Catholic clergy procedure of granting “absolution” from sin.

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/763-can-man-forgive-sins
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Ubenedictus(m): 6:42pm On Jul 28, 2013
honeric01:

Going back that passage, who then were given the power to forgive and retain sins? one person? the 12? all 70 disciples or everyone?

if humans can forgive and retain sins, why do we still need God to forgive our sins and what's the essence of the great judgement day for both the righteous and the wicked?
he breathed on those in that room.
Your last question sounds like "if we have Jesus why do we need others to pray for us?" it is simple, christ has allowed us, each as the spirit gives, to share in his ministry as king, prophet and king. That is why Jesus could tell those in that room, what sins u forgive are forgiven, he made them partakers of his ministry.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 7:19pm On Jul 28, 2013
Ubenedictus: he breathed on those in that room.
Your last question sounds like "if we have Jesus why do we need others to pray for us?" it is simple, christ has allowed us, each as the spirit gives, to share in his ministry as king, prophet and king. That is why Jesus could tell those in that room, what sins u forgive are forgiven, he made them partakers of his ministry.

Kindly read the above, let me know what you could deduct from the article.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 7:47pm On Jul 28, 2013
honeric01:

A human being like yourself can't stop you from making heaven whether they forgive you or not as long as God's forgiven you.

Except when it is actually God forgiving or retaining sins through the apostle or priest or Church. Then, when your sins are forgiven/retained here on earth, they are forgiven/retained in heaven(John 20:22,23).
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 8:02pm On Jul 28, 2013
italo:

Except when it is actually God forgiving or retaining sins through the apostle or priest or Church. Then, when your sins are forgiven/retained here on earth, they are forgiven/retained in heaven(John 20:22,23).

God don't retain or forgive sins through humans, you're reading out of context bro, John 20, 22:23 is reading out of context, i can't explain again, just read that article, then challenge the points raised there, then we can process.

Only God forgives sins.

As for the one i said man can forgive it, only sins that was committed against that person and if a true forgiveness is sought and you refuse to forgive, the person can be forgiven by God and still make heaven, but you won't because you need to forgive because you can be forgiven too.

My understanding.

If you have anything to point out from that article, i am all ears, but on this back and forth argument, i am done.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 8:06pm On Jul 28, 2013
honeric01:

Were Paul, Timothy and other post-Jesus death included?

King James used DISCIPLES, not APOSTLE.

Firstly, I do not regard King James version as a faithful interpretation of God's word. I see it as an adulteration. But that is another matter.

Secondly, Apostles are disciples, but not all disciples are Apostles. The Apostles were Jesus' closest disciples, His inner circle (Mark 3:13-14; Luke 6:12-13 for instance) and thus received the entirety of Christ's teaching. Even more, apostleship is an office of the Church established by Christ; whereas discipleship is a belief/lifestyle.

Paul was made an apostle by Christ while Timothy and the present day priests and bishops are successors of the apostles. So they also receive these priestly faculties by laying of hands.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 8:12pm On Jul 28, 2013
italo:

Firstly, I do not regard King James version as a faithful interpretation of God's word. I see it as an adulteration. But that is another matter.

Secondly, Apostles are disciples, but not all disciples are Apostles. The Apostles were Jesus' closest disciples, His inner circle (Mark 3:13-14; Luke 6:12-13 for instance) and thus received the entirety of Christ's teaching. Even more, apostleship is an office of the Church established by Christ; whereas discipleship is a belief/lifestyle.

Paul was made an apostle by Christ while Timothy and the present day priests and bishops are successors of the apostles. So they also receive these priestly faculties by laying of hands.

Oh, so king james is a diluted bible? GHM shocked shocked shocked

Oh, so Jesus gave some of his disciples half-gospel and some full gospel, yet he commanded them all to go into the word to preach the gospel? wetin i no go hear grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Paul was made Apostle by Christ where? Timothy made a priest by who and where? LOL. i don tire. i thought every christian is suppose to represent Christ, so it means some should be more christian than others, yet we are all to be judge in the same manner at the last day? grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 8:42pm On Jul 28, 2013
honeric01:

No interpretation is to be placed upon a difficult and obscure passage (such as this one) that would place it in direct conflict with numerous other clear texts.

This is an attempt to twist the statement. What is difficult and obscure in the verses John 20:22, 23?

honeric01:
The Greek tenses of John 20:23 make it clear that the apostles were authorized only to announce the terms of forgiveness, and that upon the basis of God’s previous appointment. Literally, the text suggests: “Those whose sins you forgive, have already been forgiven; those whose sins you do not forgive, have not already been forgiven.”

Seriously?! shocked Why dont you and the writer just rewrite the Bible?

honeric01:
In other words, the apostles (and others since that time) were only authorized to declare forgiveness consistent with what the Lord had already determined.

Now 3 questions.

Have you, again, suddenly changed your position that Jesus was talking to all Christians in John 20:23?

Who are these "others since that time?"

And how did they declare forgiveness consistent with God's mind and how are ordinary Christians like you and I to do this?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 9:56pm On Jul 28, 2013
honeric01:

Oh, so king james is a diluted bible? GHM shocked shocked shocked

Do you seriously want to discuss KJV here and now? I think not.

honeric01:
Oh, so Jesus gave some of his disciples half-gospel and some full gospel, yet he commanded them all to go into the word to preach the gospel? wetin i no go hear grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Paul was made Apostle by Christ where? Timothy made a priest by who and where? LOL. i don tire. i thought every christian is suppose to represent Christ, so it means some should be more christian than others, yet we are all to be judge in the same manner at the last day? grin grin grin grin grin grin

Awww! He doesnt even know that the apostles and leaders of the church had a special teaching and priestly office.

How can I help you? The deficiency is acute.

Please read these passages to see that and also to see how the apostles appointed more priests.

1 Cor 4:1,Acts 13:3, 14:22, 1:24-26, and Titus 1:5
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 10:43pm On Jul 29, 2013
italo:

Do you seriously want to discuss KJV here and now? I think not.

Awww! He doesnt even know that the apostles and leaders of the church had a special teaching and priestly office.

How can I help you? The deficiency is acute.

Please read these passages to see that and also to see how the apostles appointed more priests.

1 Cor 4:1,Acts 13:3, 14:22, 1:24-26, and Titus 1:5

Paul was made Apostle by Christ where? Timothy made a priest by who and where? LOL. i don tire. i thought every christian is suppose to represent Christ, so it means some should be more christian than others, yet we are all to be judge in the same manner at the last day?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 11:50am On Jul 30, 2013
Have you read the verses I gave you?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 11:57am On Jul 30, 2013
honeric01:

If my sins are retained, I can go to heaven?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 12:15pm On Jul 30, 2013
^^^ I believe you can read and comprehend.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 1:02pm On Jul 30, 2013
@ honeric,

By the way, I thought you said you were done with the "back and forth" and would only respond to my objections to your article.

Well I asked questions on the article days ago and you have still not responded...instead, you choose to go back to the "back and forth."

You need to learn to keep to your word, I think.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 1:26pm On Jul 30, 2013
^^^

Your questions to me are irrelevant with the responses you gave to some of my questions...
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 1:47pm On Jul 30, 2013
honeric01: ^^^

Your questions to me are irrelevant with the responses you gave to some of my questions...

Another way of saying you cant defend the article, isnt it?

You could have just put a disclaimer under it. cheesy

Let that show you that even the most "learned" anti-catholic articles you will find on the internet are seriously flawed.

Finally you've learnt to take the safer route.

Lest you speak more heresies.

Wise guy.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 2:15pm On Jul 30, 2013
^^^^

Nah

Just that i found out i am wasting my time with someone who thinks some "Christians" are more "christian" than others and that they were given different gospel to preach. (Your heresy is glaring.)

Someone who thinks KJV is a diluted bible.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Will The “Great Crowd” Be On Earth When Armageddon Breaks Out? / Please Help Me Clear My Mind About This Issue / Ozubulu Villagers Gather In Front Of Attacked Church To Pray For The Dead.Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.