Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,119 members, 7,821,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online (19785 Views)

Pope Francis To Wash & Kiss The Feet Of 4 Nigerian Catholics, 3 Muslims,5 Others / Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by agbalej(m): 9:20am On Jul 24, 2013
Matt.16:18-20, Jesus told Peter: upon u i wil build my church, n nt even death can overcome it, i gv u d keys of d kingdom, watever u bind here is bound in heaven, those whose sins u retaine r retained in heaven.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by roselynbas(f): 9:22am On Jul 24, 2013
blackky100: I dont know why people are making noise about this. Afterall Jesus Christ Himself gave power to HIS Apostles to forgive sins. When Christ resurrated from the dead, HE appeared to the apostles who were locked up in the room for fear of harrasament by the Jews. and he breathed on them and said, Peace be unto you, as my Father in heaven has sent me so i am sending you. RECEIVE THE HOLY SPIRIT, FOR THOSE SINS WHICH YOU FORGIVE ON EARTH, THEY ARE FORGIVEN IN HEAVEN AND FOR THOSE SINS WHICH YOU RETAINED ON EARTH THEY ARE RETAINED IN HEAVEN. Go and look for this yourself in the bible, that is your assignment.

Christ Himself institute the Sacrament of Penance, which is giving his apostles the power to forgive sins. Today who are Christ Apostles? they are the Priest.

Make una try de read una bible well.

How are your priest followers of christ? Prove that they are apostles of christ. because they stay in a monastery and follow some rules you gave yourselves not found anywhere in d bible? Don't tell me they are modern day apostles because they are not. Show me d teachings in d bible they follow and I will agree with u.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by roselynbas(f): 9:23am On Jul 24, 2013
agbalej: Matt.16:18-20, Jesus told Peter: upon u i wil build my church, n nt even death can overcome it, i gv u d keys of d kingdom, watever u bind here is bound in heaven, those whose sins u retaine r retained in heaven.

Yes? So? Meaning?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by tomtolu: 9:31am On Jul 24, 2013
roselynbas:

Yes? So? Meaning?

Then take d fight to Jesus himself na!! D guy aint quoting himself na! Abi
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by bukatyne(f): 9:51am On Jul 24, 2013
Zona.com:

You dont understand religious matters thesame way you do politics. Faith is a strong phenomenon and the catholic faith demands the faithfuls to be real LAMBS. I'm a catholic, but i dont understand all the church's doctrine, i just apply FAITH

Dear,

Faith is only applied to the word of God and not the doctrine of the Church. All doctrine of the Church must be in accordance to the Bible.

If your Priest teaches you something, it is your duty to go back to the Bible to confirm.

It's is well

P.S.: I only know of Christian Faithfuls. Who is a Catholic Faithful?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Geolalisa(f): 10:05am On Jul 24, 2013
The Priest,Bishop or Pope has the power to forgive sin THROUGH our Lord Jesus Christ.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by blackky100(m): 10:07am On Jul 24, 2013
Bros abeg read that part of the bible well. Christ were talking to his Apostles.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Geolalisa(f): 10:18am On Jul 24, 2013
Bros, who are His apostles?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by blackky100(m): 10:26am On Jul 24, 2013
Those who propagate the gosple of Christ, the Priest, Bishop, Rev. etc.

Sister, let me get you first, are you saying it is wrong?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Geolalisa(f): 10:30am On Jul 24, 2013
No,it is not wrong.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by bryanarinze: 10:35am On Jul 24, 2013
@ tomtolu thank you for that wonderful comment. In addition, please let Pentecostals ( that desire to learn about the catholic faith instead of just to argue) note two very important points in the catholic view of forgiveness of sins

a) The pope or the priest does not have the power to forgive sins, only Christ through his finished work on Calvary has that power
b) The catechism of the catholic church teaches that what makes your sins forgiven are 1) True contrition and repentance and 2) a firm purpose of amendment of your life. The catechism further teaches that if you have these, your sins are forgiven even before you go to the priest

why then do Catholics go for confession

1) Simple because Jesus commanded it to be so as already mentioned in John 20: 21-23. Jesus we know had other disciples after the 12 apostles. Why didn't Jesus say this to the other 70 disciples, why was it only to the 12 apostles. we should think about this. The church believes it is an unbroken succession from the apostles to the Pope and priests of today

2)When Jesus healed the man with Leprosy, why did Jesus tell him to go and show himself to the priest even after Jesus who is God had made him clean. Luke 5:15 Jesus sure had the authority to dispense with all those mosaic requirements

3 Because the early church after the apostles practiced the sacrament of confession and they are part of the traditions of the church handed down from generation to generation. People should note that Christianity came into being before the bible. Christianity had history and tradition even before the bible and the bible cannot contained all that Jesus the apostles and their followers did. John 20 30-31. If we check history from any angle you choose to do, we will discover that confession to a priest was part and parcel of the early church after the apostles.
This same bible that our separated brethren make so much talk about was complied by catholic church themselves, not to sound offensive but the claim by protestant to know the bible more than the Church that put this bible together will never cease to baffle me.

4) because confession confers a special kind of grace and grant the repentant sinner indulgence (something i think protestant should even quarrel more about)

That said, i want to re-iterate that Pope is not and will never forgive sins via twitter or any social network cos he has no such power. Also, the pope cannot and will never hear confession via twitter or Facebook. What the pope did was to grant indulgence to faithfuls who have gone for confession and fulfilled the other conditions necessary for the grant and has through their devices followed the activities of the World Youth Day.

Please i believe that religion and sprituality is a very personal thing, it all depends on the system that work with you and God. if you dont understand anything about the catholic faith or indeed any faith, try and learn about it instead of to argue or say ill things about it. We can always agree to disagree. i kind of had a protestant upbringing, but am now a convinced catholic not because of say my parents but because i choose to learn. Yes the catholic church has made so very very wrong decisions over the years but before we say something abut a church instituted by Jesus himself, with a 2,000 year history and almost 1.5billion follwers, we should try and think and seek to honestly learn first. i hope i didnt say too much grin

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by lacum: 11:42am On Jul 24, 2013
Theblessed:

[b][size=16pt]You too, still haven't got it - have you?

Imagine you trying to make us believe the writer is non-Catholic therefore, did not mean or understand what he wrote.

And, you who is a devout Catholic - you lack Scriptural knowledge as well, due to what you have been fed by Priest who had no clue of the Scriptures themselves - why?

Because you failed to read your Bible everyday to know, learn and understand the 'Word' and 'Will' of God for us.

Imagine you, implying or should I say writing to say - we must make our confession to 'a Priest' a man! How ridiculous!

You confess to God (no one else!) and repent from your sins and never to go back to it again. As soon as you do so, Jesus forgives you, ok!! Have you problem grasping that? grin grin

Therefore, you don't confess your sin to man 'Priests' - you don't because, the Priest himself is a sinner too, and remember the Bible tells us that 'There is none Righteous,no, not one! Romans Chpt. 3 v.10. And, if there is none Righteous, that includes the Priest who you confess to...as the whole World have sinned and fell short of the glory God'

Therefore understand this, just as we believe that God is a Spirit and he sees and knows all things and is every where and with that assurance, we can make our prayers anytime, anywhere - on land, on air, in the sea in our private rooms, in the Congregation of our Churches, when we are driving, cooking, eating, or doing anything that is of God, in the same manner, we can CONFESS our sins as we pray to the Father God in Heaven and to Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour there and then - no need to go to the PRIEST to do just that.

Now, may I ask Catholics this, but who does the Priest confess his own sins to...? Or is he without sin? Is it not to the Father God in Heaven and Jesus Christ our Saviour? Then, what's stopping you from doing so, than going to the Priest to make your confession?

Therefore, may I say this to the writer - please, stop poisoning minds further with the little knowledge you have of the Scriptures because, you too don't know/understand the 'Word' yourself otherwise, you wouldn't have made this error in suggesting we go to the Priest for our confession.
[/size][/b]
pls if u dont undestand this doctrine just keep quiet and listen to others b4 writing. every priest has a confessor likewise d pope. dats d humility in d whole thing. d popes confesor is a priest too. even if as some people suggest that d bible said dat we should confess to one another is true, does d church not have d right to restrict it to priests to guard against d abuse? rmemba dat a priet cannot reveal ur sins to anoda in any circumstance.
back to d topic, indulgence is not forgiveness of sin and confesson cannot be done through d net because its not safe. d blessings of d pope in brazil wil forgive d punishment due to d sins u have been forgiven at confession and even in ur individual prayer but dis must come from following d programe prayerfully. so tel me whats d difficult thing to understand here?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by tomtolu: 11:46am On Jul 24, 2013
I remember when Baba Adeboye was at OAU few years back, can you bliv people fought like animals to share (breaking into pieces) the chair on which he sat?

Has that ever happened to a pope??

Someone once told me that if on the last day, he finds baba Adeboye in hell, he would know that the place was mis-labelled and that he would gladly join him!!
THAT is FAITH (wrongly placed though).

Baba Adeboye is a man of God, yet people treat him like a god (I wouldn't say like God). Pastor T.B Joshua, Pastor Chris,Ortitsejiafor, Kumuyi and the rest of'em, These are people whose parents are NOT EVEN CHRISTIANS OH!

These are people who joined the FAITH less than 100 years ago oh! Yet, all they DO is MORAL, JUST, BIBLICAL and GOOD!

Can anyone point out something bad or a Sin in these people (am talking to their followers now oh!)

Hahahahahhaahahah.....If you can't BEAT catholicism, JOIN THEM, and If u feel u can't join them STOP BRINGING THEN DOWN! Have u EVER heard a catholic Bishop or Cardinal or Pope trying to Bring Down a another "Small" CHURCH?

Its Only a Councillor who wants to have a seat in Abuja in 2015 that will be looking for ways to get rid of the man in the National Assembly!! I don't think it is the other way round!!

Penticostals are the issue here, protestant churches are FAR better in their Judgment!
CHICKS, Beware, don't get mother HEN angry oooo
(Lol)
God bless us all.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by netflydotcom(m): 12:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
THANKS to POPE for this grace,all about faith ,it is in the bible.for those who said that it is not in the bible,the ones in the bible have u done any.gay marriage is it only pope wil fight for it.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by DICKtator: 12:37pm On Jul 24, 2013
peppy luv: Like ur father!!!

Na. I doubt it if he is the Elton John's type. I even checked his closet, no skeletons there. Your observations may be wrong but i certainly do not have fork cutleries to give except if the phuccking has to do wit entering your that-which-must-not-be-mentioned!!!!.
I do not know how it feels to be molested by,maybe in your case, a nun? but my heartfelt empathy goes out to you!!! cos based on your reaction you may have been a victim of circumstance!!!
You know that obviously a lotta ish goes down in the Vatican that are been covered up but y'all be acting Ray Charles on dat. Follow follow like Fela said!!! undecided undecided undecided undecided

Now bend down low and let me teach you how to doughie!!! wink wink wink wink

grin grin grin grin
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 12:43pm On Jul 24, 2013
Edward Akande: yes! Thats because God has vested an extraordinary power on him. Go and read your Bible: '......to him whose sins u forgive shall be forgiven'

Pls when did 'one another' become the 'pope'?

The bible said 'confess your sins to one another', not to one 'special' person or am i missing something?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 12:46pm On Jul 24, 2013
Geolalisa: The Priest,Bishop or Pope has the power to forgive sin THROUGH our Lord Jesus Christ.

Then you can also forgive sins if you're a true christian because every true christian is a royal priesthood unto christ and we no longer need any mediator apart from Jesus except you still live in the old testament and have not truly accepted Jesus as your lord and personal savior.
1 peter 2:9 is a clue.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Geolalisa(f): 1:23pm On Jul 24, 2013
honeric01:

Then you can also forgive sins if you're a true christian because every true christian is a royal priesthood unto christ and we no longer need any mediator apart from Jesus except you still live in the old testament and have not truly accepted Jesus as your lord and personal savior.
1 peter 2:9 is a clue.

They priest,bishop and pope are ordained by God. Are you saying that once you are born again you are without sin for life?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by bukatyne(f): 2:05pm On Jul 24, 2013
Geolalisa:

They priest,bishop and pope are ordained by God. Are you saying that once you are born again you are without sin for life?

Are you saying the Priests, Bishop and Popes are without sin?
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by salvarhymes: 2:15pm On Jul 24, 2013
Som of u r jst too blind. First, d pope was nt selected by God, he was voted in (politics). D bible say d only mediator bw man nd God is Jesus Christ nt pope. For all hav sinned nd fall short of d glory of God.... Where did they say pope has nt sinned. Infact, no nid arguing dis cos Christianity is nt dsame wit catholicism. U can make research on dat. Catholics use bullet-in nt bible. They pray to images they see nt d Heavenly Father who dwells in the Spirit. They pray using Mary's name wch is against d law of God. "I am d way, d truth nd Life. No one comes to d father except through me". So my fellow Christians, no nid arguing wit catholics cos they r in a different religion. Its like arguing wit a Muslim over their doctrines.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Geolalisa(f): 2:52pm On Jul 24, 2013
bukatyne:

Are you saying the Priests, Bishop and Popes are without sin?

NO MAN IS WITHOUT SIN.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by blackky100(m): 2:56pm On Jul 24, 2013
It will be better you keep quite and dont say things you dont know.

So hail Mary, be full of grace, the Lord is with thee is not on the Bible. Some people can misyan. Bulletin is an extraction from the bible Oga. So reading from it changes the words?

All these my Pentecostal brothers self, i no de understand una at times.

But your guys do follow our church calender. We tell you when Esther is. Infact i can tell you when the next Ash wednesday, good friday and Esther will be in the next 20 years.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 3:35pm On Jul 24, 2013
Geolalisa:

Ordained by God indeed, so the rest of the christians 1 pet 2:9 referred to are ordained by satan? Do leaders ( all 'em worldly titles) have special criterias to making heaven different from other true believer?

What do you understand by 'confess your sins one to another'? Would the bible not have written 'confess your sins to the leaders of the church' instead? One to another is a simple sentence for God's sake, why do humans love making life complex for themselves?

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 4:01pm On Jul 24, 2013
Geolalisa:

NO MAN IS WITHOUT SIN.

Using your logic, if no man's without sin, why then do i need to only confess to a 'pope' and expects forgiveness when i can just confess to the person i offend?

In my understanding, confessing to 'one another' had more to do with the unity in the early church then and was a way of making christians come to terms with eachother once they err against one another.

I believe only 2 persons can forgive sins
1: The person you erred against
2: God.

Tip? Read the Lord's prayer again, this was what Jesus our true savior taught us and the key to who's capable of forgiving sins is hidden in that prayer.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 4:05pm On Jul 24, 2013
Foolish is he who doesnt read. MORE FOOLISH IS HE WHO BELIEVES EVERYTHING HE READS.

The pope is not going to forgive any sins via twitter.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by damipayne(m): 4:15pm On Jul 24, 2013
owolabifunke14: Yes, catholic and anglican churches are in support of gay and pope as the head of the church is not saying anything.

Name 1 gay catholic church sanctioned by d vatican, dnt say wat u dnt know...I admit there are gay anglicans.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Okeyson4wisdom(m): 8:01pm On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
Not really. There's a part in the bible where it says that if we confess our sins to one another(not necessarily to a priest or pope), that it will be forgiven.
ure joking only Jesus can forgive sins because he was the one that died for our sins
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Okeyson4wisdom(m): 8:08pm On Jul 24, 2013
blackky100: It will be better you keep quite and dont say things you dont know.

So hail Mary, be full of grace, the Lord is with thee is not on the Bible. Some people can misyan. Bulletin is an extraction from the bible Oga. So reading from it changes the words?

All these my Pentecostal brothers self, i no de understand una at times.

But your guys do follow our church calender. We tell you when Esther is. Infact i can tell you when the next Ash wednesday, good friday and Esther will be in the next 20 years.
so is holy mary mother of God pray for us sinners now and the alphadet amen now in the bible too. When did mary became an intersessor for sins. Catholics uve deviated from the faith and that candle that represents the churches in which rev 11 and 12 talKed about has been blown off from the catholics better follow jesus and stop religion.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 9:05pm On Jul 24, 2013
Okeyson4wisdom: ure joking only Jesus can forgive sins because he was the one that died for our sins

Let us assume you have never come across John 20:23, 33.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 9:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
Okeyson4wisdom: so is holy mary mother of God pray for us sinners now and the alphadet amen now in the bible too. When did mary became an intersessor for sins. Catholics uve deviated from the faith and that candle that represents the churches in which rev 11 and 12 talKed about has been blown off from the catholics better follow jesus and stop religion.

Even YOU are an intercessor...

...talk less of the Mother of God.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by honeric01(m): 10:09pm On Jul 24, 2013
italo:

Even YOU are an intercessor...

...talk less of the Mother of God.

Only the living can intercede, hence the emphasy on the ressurretion of Christ Jesus.
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by italo: 10:20pm On Jul 24, 2013
honeric01:

Only the living can intercede, hence the emphasy on the ressurretion of Christ Jesus.

Amen! Now, two questions:

Whose opinion is this...God's opinion or yours?

Let us assume you are correct. Do you believe that anyone who lives and believes in Jesus will LIVE forever?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? / Is Gambling On Football A Sin / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.