Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,422 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] (7969 Views)

8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / Myths And Truths Of Atheism / Chinese Language Unmasks A Startling Discovery Of The Truths Of Genesis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn: Islam is a Religion of Peace

The Myth
Muhammad was a peaceful man who taught his followers to be the same Muslims lived peacefully for centuries, fighting only in self-defense, and only when it was necessary. True Muslims would never act aggressively.

There is evidence to suggest that Muhammad would have preferred peace instead of war and that is the simple truth. For the command he gave to his followers is to fight only those who fight against them.

Any true Muslim, from Muhammad's perspective does not go about looking for a fight.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn: Islam is Tolerant of Other Religions

The Myth
Religious minorities have flourished under Islam. Muslims are commanded to protect Jews and Christians (the People of the Book) and do them no harm. The Quran says in Sura 109, "To you, your religion. To me, mine."

Muhammad in his time did allow minorities to live in peace, which was quite rare for one so powerful to do. To the extent that he went as far as drawing up a kind of peace accord in form of a treaty which would be binding on both the minority and the Muslim majority. He even allowed them to worship in the manner they choose.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

You want to know the meaning of 'Islam' and you go to "lesser educated Muslims"??
----
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn: Islam and the “Golden Age” of Scientific Discovery

The Myth
Muslims often claim that their religion fostered a rich heritage of scientific discovery, “paving the way” for modern advances in technology and medicine. On this topic, they usually refer to the period between the 7th and 13th centuries, when Europe was experiencing its “Dark Ages” and the Muslim world was acquiring new populations and culture through violent conquest.

It is true that Islam has had its fair share of discoveries in both science and some other intellectual pursuit. To the extent that they have had their own share of Nobel laureates.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn: Islam is Opposed to Slavery

The Myth
Islam is intolerant of enslaving human beings. The religion eradicated the institution of slavery thanks to the principles set in motion by Muhammad, who was an abolitionist.

I am also interested in knowing the source of the above.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

There is evidence to suggest that Muhammad would have preferred peace as against war and that is the simple truth. For the command he gave to his followers is to fight only those who fight against them.

Any true Muslim, from Muhammad's perspective does not go about looking for a fight.
I'd like to see that evidence.
Thank you
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn: Islam is Completely Incompatible with Terrorism

The Myth
Islam is completely incompatible with acts of terrorism. It is against Islam to kill innocent people.

There is evidence to show that Muhammad did not support the killing of the innocent. He has maintained that his followers only fight those who fight against them.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn: Islam is a Democracy

The Myth
Islam is compatible with democratic principles. The religion itself is a democracy.

Source!
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn: The Quran is the Muslim Counterpart
to the Bible

The Myth
The Quran is to Muslims what the Bible is to Christians (and the Torah to Jews).

How is the above a myth

Jew: Torah is the inspired word of God.

Christian: The bible is the inspired word of God.

Muslim: The Quran is the inspired word of God.

Bottom line, they all lay claim that their Holy books are inspired and are from God.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

There is evidence to show that Muhammad did not support the killing of the innocent. He has maintained that his followers only fight those who fight against them.
Then provide them for God's sake...
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Jihad goes beyond physical fighting...it cuts across so many things actually. Jihad is simply doing something for the cause of Allah.

It can be a physical fight which MUST be JUST and it can be an inner struggle...the bottom line is that it must be done for the cause of Allah and it MUST not go against any Muslim tenet.

If one fights an unjust war and calls it Jihad then that individual does not know what Jihad is.

I laughed at the bolded. And what did you understand by just and unjust? Spilling an innocent blood in the name of "Allah", is it justifiable? Looking the other way when one blasphemed against your prophet, is it justifiable? Which side do you find yourself?

The Quran actively urges Muslims to fight unbelievers, so any Muslim that refuses to take up arms is a bad Muslim. Those terrorist are the ones actually obeying the word of the prophet, period.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by hayubee(m): 5:51pm On Jul 25, 2013
Islamically women are considerd fragile nd should be treated with care. Frosty anser if I bring two sweets from my pocket 1 in its wrapper while the other one is not(I.e naked) den I throw it on d floor (I.e both sweets) and ask u 2 take 1 which 1 will u take?. In Islam we don't just say don't follow shaytan we say don't follow the footstep of the shaytan! U c women dress half naked attract every Tom and Harry!our sisters are not cheap where every Tom Harry can c her unclothedness no we Muslims treat our sisters well we don't degrade them to d level of concubines and society butterflies! If u c a woman u like her fine she didn't fall from heaven, see her relative and if u meet a woman it d shopping mall or any where nd u c her husband or relative with u no ok dis woman is married or single u no wat to do
Concerning driving the we consider it tedious 4 our sisters nd mothers so we drive them is that degrading! To prevent fornication women don't use the same spaces as men so they don't bring about temptation. D sharia law says in a gathering all women must sit before men I.e women must b comfortable b4 men! Is dat degrading the women!
Concerning the issue of munafiq let's be logical here I have frends who attend pentecostal churches dey say Catholics worship idols and are worshipping Mary on the other hand the catholic say dey are not following the scriprures well so who do we follow! In d case of Islam we follow the quran nd hadith any thing other than dat is bidia which is haram I.e what terrorists are doing its haram and is anti Islam!. Majourity of does sucide bombers are being brainwashed by some munafiq givin Dem bad fatwa of Islam! Frosty I can c in u dat ur curious very good I want u to get authentic teaching of Islam from a good source I will to direct u to www.irf.net or watch peace TV. Gradually u will c d straight path.
P.s: u said Islam allows men to bash their wives no dats mis understanding u strike her lightly like striking a baby is not synonymous with wife-bashing
Lastly if ur visiting irf.net pls make sur u use a pc
thanks

1 Like

Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

There is evidence to suggest that Muhammad would have preferred peace as against war and that is the simple truth. For the command he gave to his followers is to fight only those who fight against them.

Islam was spread thorough violence, and a true Muslim is the one that follows the prophet's example.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Muhammad in his time did allow minorities to live in peace, which was quite rare for one so powerful to do. To the extent that he went as far as drawing up a kind of peace accord in form of a treaty which would be binding on both the minority and the Muslim majority. He even allowed them to worship in the manner they choose.

I believe this paragraph already addressed the issue of tolerance in Islam;

FrostyZonn: What Muslims call “tolerance,” others correctly identify as institutionalized discrimination. The consignment of Jews and Christians to dhimmis under Islamic rule means that they are not allowed the same religious rights and freedoms as Muslims. They cannot share their faith, for example, or build houses of worship without permission.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by hayubee(m): 6:09pm On Jul 25, 2013
Islamically women are considerd fragile nd should be treated with care. Frosty anser if I bring two sweets from my pocket 1 in its wrapper while the other one is not(I.e naked) den I throw it on d floor (I.e both sweets) and ask u 2 take 1 which 1 will u take?. In Islam we don't just say don't follow shaytan we say don't follow the footstep of the shaytan! U c women dress half naked attract every Tom and Harry!our sisters are not cheap where every Tom Harry can c her unclothedness no we Muslims treat our sisters well we don't degrade them to d level of concubines and society butterflies! If u c a woman u like her fine she didn't fall from heaven, see her relative and if u meet a woman it d shopping mall or any where nd u c her husband or relative with u no ok dis woman is married or single u no wat to do
Concerning driving the we consider it tedious 4 our sisters nd mothers so we drive them is that degrading! To prevent fornication women don't use the same spaces as men so they don't bring about temptation. D sharia law says in a gathering all women must sit before men I.e women must b comfortable b4 men! Is dat degrading the women!
Concerning the issue of munafiq let's be logical here I have frends who attend pentecostal churches dey say Catholics worship idols and are worshipping Mary on the other hand the catholic say dey are not following the scriprures well so who do we follow! In d case of Islam we follow the quran nd hadith any thing other than dat is bidia which is haram I.e what terrorists are doing its haram and is anti Islam!. Majourity of does sucide bombers are being brainwashed by some munafiq givin Dem bad fatwa of Islam! Frosty I can c in u dat ur curious very good I want u to get authentic teaching of Islam from a good source I will to direct u to www.irf.net or watch peace TV. Gradually u will c d straight path.
P.s: u said Islam allows men to bash their wives no dats mis understanding u strike her lightly like striking a baby is not synonymous with wife-bashing
Lastly if ur visiting irf.net pls make sur u use a pc
thanks
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

It is true that Islam has had its fair share of discoveries in both science and some other intellectual pursuit. To the extent that they have had their own share of Nobel laureates.

Hilariousgrin

Islam is notoriously for it's resistance to change. All the things they claimed to have invented or help discover, has little or nothing to do with Islam at all. Most of Arabian discoverers at that period weren't even religious. al-Razi was an heretic that was denounced for being a blasphemer.

Take a look at the world today, and you will come to realise the truth, which is very glaring. In term of technology no Islamic nation is even on parr with the Jewish nation of Israel, not to talk of the west.

For crying out loud, even at this modern times, most of you persisted on dressing like Muhammad!
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

I am also interested in knowing the source of the above.

Read your Quran, Hadith and Sura, I'm sure you will stumble on some verses glorifying slavery. It's practically all over the place.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Well, your Quran says otherwise.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Source!

That's the general idea.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn:

It's really a no brainer.

That's the "conception" Islam wants the whole world to swallow.

Nah!!!

You said it yourself that Islamic scholars agree with your view on the word Islam. So, why hold onto what these "Lesser educated Muslims" told you? Though you are yet to show that they actually hold that view.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

How is the above a myth

Jew: Torah is the inspired word of God.

Christian: The bible is the inspired word of God.

Muslim: The Quran is the inspired word of God.

Bottom line, they all lay claim that their Holy books are inspired and are from God.

The Quran contains what is presented as the literal words of Allah as relayed by Muhammad. A jumble of text that are randomly mixed together and rarely consisted, even within each chapter.

By contrast, The bible contains historical and biographical details.

They are nothing alike.

2 Likes

Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 25, 2013
Misunderstood_G: I'd like to see that evidence.
Thank you

Surat 2:190

Translated thus:

Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress. Indeed. Allah does not like transgressors.

The above is a directive given by Muhammad to his followers, which is meant to guide their thinking when they go into war with a potential 'enemy'.

It can be seen clearly that the instruction was to fight against those who fight against them. And even when they fight, they should not shirk their moral responsibilities as depicted in his instruction for them not to transgress because Allah does not like transgressors.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Nah!!!

You said it yourself that Islamic scholars agree with your view on the word Islam. So, why hold onto what these "Lesser educated Muslims" told you? Though you are yet to show that they actually hold that view.

Check that. That's an invalid reply. It doesn't apply to that particular post. A little miss up on my part, I'm afraid. Here's the real reply;

FrostyZonn:
As apply to the majority of Nairaland
Muslims noise makers, that are always
insisting that Islam is synonymous with
peace.

The uninitiated will be forgiven in thinking
that most of them actually knew what they
are talking about, not knowing that some
of them are less educated in Islam. In other words they don't really know their Quran.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 25, 2013
Misunderstood_G: Then provide them for God's sake...

If one fights against those who fight them first, then the individual fights in self defence.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn:

I laughed at the bolded. And what did you understand by just and unjust? Spilling an innocent blood in the name of "Allah", is it justifiable? Looking the other way when one blasphemed against your prophet, is it justifiable? Which side do you find yourself?

The Quran actively urges Muslims to fight unbelievers, so any Muslim that refuses to take up arms is a bad Muslim. Those terrorist are the ones actually obeying the word of the prophet, period.

I smiled at the bold...I guess I should have introduced myself before commenting...

My name is striktlymi and I am a Christian so Muhammad is NOT my prophet.

Now your comment talks about killing of the innocent but according to the Quran, Muslims are meant to fight only those who fight against them.

When you respond to an aggressor, that is not the same as fighting an unjust war.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn:

Islam was spread thorough violence, and a true Muslim is the one that follows the prophet's example.

I have provided evidence to show that Muhammad's instruction was to fight when they are threatened. Saying that Islam was spread through violence suggests that the war the prophet was involved in were war of blame...please provide evidence to back this up.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 25, 2013
striktlymi:

I smiled at the bold...I guess I should have introduced myself before commenting...

My name is striktlymi and I am a Christian so Muhammad is NOT my prophet.

Now your comment talks about killing of the innocent but according to the Quran, Muslims are meant to fight only those who fight against them.

When you respond to an aggressor, that is not the same as fighting an unjust war.

Quran (2:191-193)

And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief] is worse than killing... but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun (the polytheists, and wrong-
doers, etc.)"

'Nuf Said.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn:

I believe this paragraph already addressed the issue of tolerance in Islam;

Provide evidence from the Quran since we are talking about Islam and not its fanatics.
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn:

Read your Quran, Hadith and Sura, I'm sure you will stumble on some verses glorifying slavery. It's practically all over the place.

Are we to take this to mean that you don't know what the Quran says about it?
striktlymi:

I have provided evidence to show that Muhammad's instruction was to fight when they are threatened. Saying that Islam was spread through violence suggests that the war the prophet was involved in were war of blame...please provide evidence to back this up.

Then, you haven't been paying attention. This very argument was treated extensively somewhere in the write-up.

If you want your evidence, then go back and peruse it all over again.
FrostyZonn:

Well, your Quran says otherwise.

Where is the evidence from the Quran?
Re: Myths And Truths Of Islam[An Exposé] by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 25, 2013
FrostyZonn:

That's the general idea.

And the above is your evidence?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens : Obedience Must Be Total / Bishop Oyedepo A Freemason Or The Architect Who Constructed Most Of His Church / 3 Things Making Blacks/nigerians Backwards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.