Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,425 members, 7,830,134 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- - Religion (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- (33242 Views)

What If The Early Church Had Prayed That Saul Should Die? / The Early Church Vs The Modern Church / Bitter Truth About Blessed Virgin Mary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by doclan: 10:55am On Aug 16, 2013
italo:

Even my neighbour's 3week old foetus knows the meaning of "intercede."

I am surprised that an adult doesnt.
no wonder U allow the baptism of infants.. 3 wks old undastand intercede.. Keep it up. Waiting 4 U Maria

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by doclan: 10:59am On Aug 16, 2013
Maria, are U on any social networking site dat aids Instant messaging.. If yes, specify and gv me ur contact.. I love catholics gaan, the knw alot.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by italo: 11:04am On Aug 16, 2013
doclan: you are right.. They compiled the bible or rather they kept patchment of d Apostles' letter.. Lets be clear here, during d dark ages, the available copies of the bible were kept in strategised locations and considered nt right for common man to view, read or touch..

There was no printing press then so it was difficult and expensive to make many copies like we have today. Thats why they put them in locations where everyone could read but no one could take it for himself.
doclan:
Tank GOD for pple like Martin Luther, John Calvin dat fought for its freedom. Indeed, catholics compiled d bible.. Get ur histories right..

Are you aware that Martin Luther removed the book of James for the Bible?

They didnt fight for freedom. They fought to adulterate Christianity and the Bible. The devil used them.

And the devil must be happy with you guys.

Millions of "churches" preaching contradictory messages.

Do you know how the Bible came about?

It fell from the sky?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by italo: 11:08am On Aug 16, 2013
doclan: no wonder U allow the baptism of infants.. 3 wks old undastand intercede.. Keep it up. Waiting 4 U Maria

Now that we are destroying your "intercession" rant, you want to stylishly deviate to baptism.

Can you do your self a favour?

Look up the meaning of "intercede" in a children's dictionary.

They will have easier explanation you might comprehend.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by doclan: 11:18am On Aug 16, 2013
My brother, intercession takes place btw 3 parties, the human, the mediator and the father... It leaves no room for another person. If a pastor pray on behalf of sm1, He lays all prayer through Christ to God, still 3 people.. Pls, let us read d bible with sobriety pouring out all we have heard or known so we can get d actual msg.. I am nt a fan of confusion.. 1TIM2vs5, dats all.

2 Likes

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 11:18am On Aug 16, 2013
Childre's dictionary..

Intercede..
v.
Intervene on behalf of another.

So its same when you ask your pastor to pray for you
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 11:21am On Aug 16, 2013
doclan: My brother, intercession takes place btw 3 parties, the human, the mediator and the father... It leaves no room for another person. If a pastor pray on behalf of sm1, He lays all prayer through Christ to God, still 3 people.. Pls, let us read d bible with sobriety pouring out all we have heard or known so we can get d actual msg.. I am nt a fan of confusion.. 1TIM2vs5, dats all.
we are doing smae... Mary, in this context takes the place of the Pastor.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by italo: 11:46am On Aug 16, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
Childre's dictionary..

Intercede..
v.
Intervene on behalf of another.

So its same when you ask your pastor to pray for you

I hope doclan will understand that simple language for kids.

Or do we need to use an animals' dictionary?

Their language may be even easier to understand.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 11:50am On Aug 16, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
we are doing smae... Mary, in this context takes the place of the Pastor.
nice comeback. That dude is also confused. But as usual, he's not willing to learn.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 16, 2013
[b]So Your Virgin Mary prays for you because:

1) You are sinners
2) Now that you are alive and also when you are at the point of your death.

Amazing. I see why you cannot understand Gods word because you are yet sinners and so carnal for the carnal mind cannot understand the things of the spirit. She also intercedes for you at the point of your death so that what would happen? Is it so that God can forgive and forget your sinful ways and usher you into heaven or is it purgatory?

Hebrews 7:14-28

14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,
16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.
20 And inasmuch as not without an oath he was made priest:
21 (For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec: )
22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.
23 And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death:
24 But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.
25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
28 For the law maketh men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore.

Those are the words of God and not mine. Read them and be converted.[/b]
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 16, 2013
[b]Some Facts Concerning the Origin of the Bible

(1). The Bible was written over a period of about 1600 years. From about 1490 BC to about 100 AD.

(2). The Bible consists of 66 separate books: 39 in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament.

(3). These 66 separate books were written by about 40 different writers: Kings, such as David and Solomon. Statesmen: such as Daniel and Nehemiah. Priests: such as Ezra. Men taught in the wisdom of Egypt: such as Moses. Men taught in the Jewish Law: such as Paul. Herdsmen: such as Amos. Tax collectors: such as Matthew. Unlearned and ignorant fishermen: such as Peter, James and John. A physician: such as Luke. And mighty overseers: such as Isaiah, Ezekiel and Zechariah.

(4). Parts of the Bible were written in the desert of the Sinai.

(5), Parts of the Bible were written in Arabia.

(6). Parts of the Bible were written in the hills and towns of Palestine.

(7). Parts of the Bible were written in the courts of the Temple.

(8 ). Parts of the Bible were written in the schools of the prophets at Bethel and Jericho.

(9). Parts of the Bible were written in the palace of Shushan in Persia.

(10). Parts of the Bible were written on the banks of the Chebar River in Babylonia.

(11). Parts of the Bible were written in the dungeons of Rome.

(12). Parts of the Bible were written on the lonely island of Patmos in the Aegean Sea.

Yet one of the most amazing and miraculous things about all this, is that after 1600 years and 40 different writers, they all talked about the same thing, with no contradictions and no errors (in the original languages of the Hebrew and Greek). They all spoke about the plan of God for man. Most of these men never even read the writings of the others. Everything recorded between the opening pages of the book of Genesis and the closing pages of Revelation was divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit.

The Bible is a book that man would not write even if he could. Because from Genesis to Revelation the Bible denounces the human race as being sinners. Totally depraved, evil and totally unable to help themselves, and totally unqualified to live with God.

The Bible is a book that man could not write even if he desired to. Because the Bible is the living book. "THE WORD OF GOD IS ALIVE AND POWERFUL" (Hebrews 4:12). The Bible is actually the mind of Jesus Christ in written form, therefore, man could not have written it, because "WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD?" (II Corinthians 2:16). Therefore, the Christian should always be learning Biblical truth. Because only by learning Biblical truth is he able to detect false teaching. [/b]

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by doclan: 1:39pm On Aug 16, 2013
@ Nijadeyhia, U ve spoke the uncoated truth, The bible is all we should rely on for sound doctrine.. No wonder the catholics held it in grasp for abt a millenium because it ll lay bare their flaws.. Most of OP's post sited references from men's commentaries, too bad.. Lets go back to true Christianity, the one that Christ instituted, the one the apostles strived for, nt wat we think is right, Back to the Bible please..

2 Likes

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 4:42pm On Aug 16, 2013
naijadeyhia: [b]So Your Virgin Mary prays for you because:

1) You are sinners
2) Now that you are alive and also when you are at the point of your death.

Amazing. I see why you cannot understand Gods word because you are yet sinners and so carnal for the carnal mind cannot understand the things of the spirit. She also intercedes for you at the point of your death so that what would happen? Is it so that God can forgive and forget your sinful ways and usher you into heaven or is it purgatory?

Hebrews 7:14-28

14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,
16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.
20 And inasmuch as not without an oath he was made priest:
21 (For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec: )
22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.
23 And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death:
24 But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.
25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
28 For the law maketh men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore.

Those are the words of God and not mine. Read them and be converted.[/b]
...so, you are without sin, right...?
Even the born-agains still ask for forgiveness during the course of their prayers.

If that bible passage is concerning 'Mary's intercession', then its of no use because I have alresdy told you the role she plays in the 3-person involved in prayers
She plays same role as your Pastor.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 16, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
Even the born-agains still ask for forgiveness during the course of their prayers.

If that bible passage is concerning 'Mary's intercession', then its of no use because I have alresdy told you the role she plays in the 3-person involved in prayers to Doclan earlier.

Mary plays absolutely no role. Can you point to me clearly in the scriptures where God demanded that we pray to her or through her. When you answer try to back it up with scripture as i do. This will prove to me that you are not concocting fables as you have been taught from childhood as a catholic. Going further also show me anywhere from the bible where God says we should pray to the dead for guidance or assistance (as you fondly call them dead saints)

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by philfearon(m): 4:54pm On Aug 16, 2013
doclan: .. Mawning Maria.. I dnt wana exchange words answering posts, bt I wana clerify smtin to U.. Quoting from Douay catholic translation, 1TIM 2vs5 reads "For there is one GOD; and one mediator of GOD and men, the man Christ Jesus" if faced wt a questn lyk who is Man's mediator to GOD? will it nt be gr8 to answer Mary? And get it wrong? It clearly is Christ... No one nids a priest to interprete the bible to him, God's understanding is all we need.. @ Superior1, with all dilligence, teach them the actual truth. God bless all.
You are seriously confused bro.....Are u normal at all? Who told u that Catholics take Mary as Man's Mediator?
Mary is the Mediator between us and Christ Who is the Ultimate Mediator...Mind You,The Blessed Virgin Mary is just Glorified being,not a God....So,mind ur language bro,b4 u incure untold wrath on urself....
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 16, 2013
philfearon:
You are seriously confused bro.....Are u normal at all? Who told u that Catholics take Mary as Man's Mediator?
Mary is the Mediator between us and Christ Who is the Ultimate Mediator...Mind You,The Blessed Virgin Mary is just Glorified being,not a God....So,mind ur language bro,b4 u incure untold wrath on urself....

Mary is the mediator between man and Christ? Wow now this is a whole new level of doctrine. Did Christ suggest even vaguely in the bible that he needed a mediator between men and him or did he come to focus men to God and not to Himself? Na wa o see confusion.

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 16, 2013
Maria-Goretti:

If that bible passage is concerning 'Mary's intercession', then its of no use because I have alresdy told you the role she plays in the 3-person involved in prayers to Doclan earlier.

if Mary plays the same role as a pastor would then what role does your reverend father play? Someone said Mary mediates between man and Christ so i suppose the rev father mediates between man and Mary and so the chain continues when God said we should come boldly before His throne of Grace that we may obtain mercy and grace to help in times of need. Heb 4:16

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by italo: 5:10pm On Aug 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

if Mary plays the same role as a pastor would then what role does your reverend father play? Someone said Mary mediates between man and Christ so i suppose the rev father mediates between man and Mary and so the chain continues when God said we should come boldly before His throne of Grace that we may obtain mercy and grace to help in times of need. Heb 4:16

Any human being can play a mediatory role between man and Christ.

Any saint too.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by philfearon(m): 5:16pm On Aug 16, 2013
italo:

I cant find where Christ said anyone should make a "Bible." Yet the Catholic Church compiled and made it in the fourth century.

Is that also a man-made tradition we should do away with?
what Church do you attend?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 16, 2013
italo:

Any human being can play a mediatory role between man and Christ.

Any saint too.

Oh really? Any human being? if any human being can then why do you need mary? Christ needs no mediator. He alone is the mediator between man and God. Those who died in Christ and who are serving Christ today and yet alive are all saints. The difference now that the dead to us but alive in Christ saints have run their race and finished their course. All they are doing now is worshiping God and not occupying a mediatory position. Christ shed his blood, suffered and died for all men. No one else did this except Him and this put Him in the seat of a mediator between man and God because he that was without sin was made sin for us. Did Mary die for the whole world? Was she the one beaten and bruised and given a crown of thorns? Was she the one crucified and buried? Was she the one who rose again from the dead on the 3rd day? Questions, questions, questions!

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by philfearon(m): 5:20pm On Aug 16, 2013
doclan: I say and repeat, my point is not who prays 4 U, when pple go to pastors to pray for them, that is nt interceeding btw "Man and God" it simply is making ur petitions known to GOD.. The bible says if any is ill, let the elders pray for such.. In essence, wat I am driving home is dnt let Mary fill in the gap of Jesus.. And remember, Maria quoted that Mary is interceeding 4 us... Dat z wat I antagonised nd knw d meaning of interceed nd mediate very well b4 U take ur stand.
if i say you are N.U.T.S,am i wrong?
"Making Petitions" and "interceding",whats the Difference?
Truth is,you dont even know what you are doing....You keep hating for no reason...
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by philfearon(m): 5:22pm On Aug 16, 2013
doclan: you are right.. They compiled the bible or rather they kept patchment of d Apostles' letter.. Lets be clear here, during d dark ages, the available copies of the bible were kept in strategised locations and considered nt right for common man to view, read or touch.. Tank GOD for pple like Martin Luther, John Calvin dat fought for its freedom. Indeed, catholics compiled d bible.. Get ur histories right..
So,you know your History Right?
Who made the Bible available to u?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 5:28pm On Aug 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Mary plays absolutely no role. Can you point to me clearly in the scriptures where God demanded that we pray to her or through her. When you answer try to back it up with scripture as i do. This will prove to me that you are not concocting fables as you have been taught from childhood as a catholic. Going further also show me anywhere from the bible where God says we should pray to the dead for guidance or assistance (as you fondly call them dead saints)

Let them also tell you about robbing graves and praying to dead bones.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by philfearon(m): 5:35pm On Aug 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Oh really? Any human being? if any human being can then why do you need mary? Christ needs no mediator. He alone is the mediator between man and God. Those who died in Christ and who are serving Christ today and yet alive are all saints. The difference now that the dead to us but alive in Christ saints have run their race and finished their course. All they are doing now is worshiping God and not occupying a mediatory position. Christ shed his blood, suffered and died for all men. No one else did this except Him and this put Him in the seat of a mediator between man and God because he that was without sin was made sin for us. Did Mary die for the whole world? Was she the one beaten and bruised and given a crown of thorns? Was she the one crucified and buried? Was she the one who rose again from the dead on the 3rd day? Questions, questions, questions!
Aren't u confused? What brought about those questions u are asking? Have any Catholic on thread claimed that Mary did Jesus' work for Him? The concept of Mary is too dificult for u to undastnd as i can see.....
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by philfearon(m): 5:38pm On Aug 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Mary is the mediator between man and Christ? Wow now this is a whole new level of doctrine. Did Christ suggest even vaguely in the bible that he needed a mediator between men and him or did he come to focus men to God and not to Himself? Na wa o see confusion.
At the Wedding at Cana,the servants could have simply gone to Jesus and told Him about the finished wine...Why did they go to Mary?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by philfearon(m): 5:39pm On Aug 16, 2013
superior1:

Let them also tell you about robbing graves and praying to dead bones.
what Church do you attend?Be Bold and Say it!!
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by italo: 5:47pm On Aug 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Why then do you pray for people and have people pray for you...

If Christ doesnt want it?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 16, 2013
philfearon:
At the Wedding at Cana,the servants could have simply gone to Jesus and told Him about the finished wine...Why did they go to Mary?

And this suggests that she is now a spiritual mediator? Even when He was confronted by Mary this was His response.
"Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come." He called her Woman and not Mother and it wasnt the only time He called her woman.

So because he turned water into wine at her plea she is now a mediator? I suppose the centurion who pleaded with Christ to heal his servant and Christ did in Luke 7 is also a mediator.

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by nnatom: 6:00pm On Aug 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

pls which of d churches do u attend, b bold pls? So we can discuss more.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 16, 2013
nnatom:

pls which of d churches do u attend, b bold pls? So we can discuss more.

Young man i do not belong to what you know as church i belong to the body of Christ. I do not attend A church because of its name. I am first and foremost a believer and church attended has nothing to do with anything. I am bold to declare that i am a believer and a son of the living God. I am not just a church goer, I am an embodiment of the life of Christ

2 Likes

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by philfearon(m): 6:12pm On Aug 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

And this suggests that she is now a spiritual mediator? Even when He was confronted by Mary this was His response.
"Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come." He called her Woman and not Mother and it wasnt the only time He called her woman.

So because he turned water into wine at her plea she is now a mediator? I suppose the centurion who pleaded with Christ to heal his servant and Christ did in Luke 7 is also a mediator.
You have not answered me....
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by philfearon(m): 6:17pm On Aug 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Young man i do not belong to what you know as church i belong to the body of Christ. I do not attend A church because of its name. I am first and foremost a believer and church attended has nothing to do with anything. I am bold to declare that i am a believer and a son of the living God. I am not just a church goer, I am an embodiment of the life of Christ
I dont know shaa,but was that question too dificult for u to answer? What Church do you attend and you are here beating around the Bush...Smh....Na shame dey worry u?

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (29) (Reply)

Be Wary Of Romantic Boyfriend And Girlfriend Relationships / My Pastor Offended Me Today In Church (Experience) / Faith Oyedepo Celebrates Her 60th Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.