Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks (33823 Views)

My View On The Igbos From An Anioma Guy. / Fashola Replies Peter Obi Over Alleged Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos / Massob, Aka-Ikenga Condemn The Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 02, 2013
PointB:

Does prior communication justify dumping them at the bridge head in the dead of the night? They are human beings for crying out loud, not cargoes; they could be poor or hapless but still they are humans, and deserved better! I don't know why you are so heartless, wicked, barbaric in your argument and thinking - you and some of your folks here!

There is no issue of someone being heartless...wicked...barbaric or what not as you claimed....when you removed the thick cloud of tribalism garbed with emotion from your eyes...you will appreciate the length at which the LASG has made this issues as humanly and friendly as possible.....

I still want to ask.....did they inform Sissy Obi or not.....if informed ...did he bother with a reply?

Apparently he did not....but waited for these people to be moved down ....knowing what he intended to do with the issue....he had it all planned out...cause enough embarrassment for LASG...by extension...APC and Nigige chances will be affected in Nov....and he is succeeding with that pretty well

This has nothing to do with human compassion.....it's all about politics...only a blind person would fail to see that.

2 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 02, 2013
mikeansy: not quite sure what Ngige is saying here

He is saying that we should look for a better another person to govern Anambra State.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 02, 2013
See Ngige wey I dey pity say Fashola don ruin him chances...
Anyway, as you make your bed, so you'll lay on it.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 1:17pm On Aug 02, 2013
PointB:

So you are telling us here that your family lives at Onitsha bridge head? That it is safe, great, and fair to dump you or any of your relative at some bridge head by 3.00 am in the morning? You are also telling us it is proper to keep people against their will for up to 6 months against their will prior to such deportation?

I think you rather face your history photo journalism, this is a tad too complicated for you!

Who agreed to have the transfer done there? Wasn't it the Anambra State Government? Why didn't they show up? How come there was no controversy when Akwa-Ibom State had a transfer with the Lagos State Government? What do you even know about this policy? Do you think this is the first time people have been relocated? Do you know that even Lagos indigenes are re-integrated within Lagos?

Isn't this just another one of your ploys to whip up sentiments?

4 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 02, 2013
eagle,eye:
I never expected anything less from Ngige a "staunch ACN" and flag bearer of the same party in Anambara.
Maybe Anambarians can reply him with their votes, no need to make too much noise.
At least, he is not like the proverbial "one eyed" man that becomes the king.

I have long ago settled for Soludo, and Ngige has just confirmed that I was right.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Ngwakwe: 1:22pm On Aug 02, 2013
Stop defending the indefensible. Were you there when Peter Obi agreed to the venue of the handover?

naptu2:

Who agreed to have the transfer done there? Wasn't it the Anambra State Government? Why didn't they show up? How come there was no controversy when Akwa-Ibom State had a transfer with the Lagos State Government? What do you even know about this policy? Do you think this is the first time people have been relocated? Do you know that even Lagos indigenes are re-integrated within Lagos?

Isn't this just another one of your ploys to whip up sentiments?
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by hurricaneChris: 1:22pm On Aug 02, 2013
Oh Ngige! You used to be my Hero.

Y are you selling ur people because of a plate of amala?

This dude has really started his campaign on a "brighter" side. Mtchewwww
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 1:23pm On Aug 02, 2013
[size=14pt]Don't Incite Igbos Against Lagos, Fashola Warns Obi.[/size]

Published on August 1, 2013 by

Kazeem Ugbodaga

Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola has warned his counterpart in Anambra State, Peter Obi not to incite the Igbos against the Lagos state government, following the recent bussing of some Igbo destitute to Onitsha. Fashola, spoke with newsmen on Thursday after inspecting the on-going light rail project and Jetties in Mile 2 area of Lagos, Southwest Nigeria.

The governor accused Obi of playing politics with the matter and using the media to blow the issue out of proportion, saying that the governor has not deemed it fit to call him on the issue, only for him to make it a media issue.

“There is too much at stake for anyone to begin to incite the Igbo community against their host state. There is too much at stake here. It is a very dangerous and unwarranted precedent. “And I hope that common sense will prevail here.

Also those who are baying for blood should know that there is too much at risk here. When I get a formal complaint from the government of Anambra State or notification from the Presidency, I will lay the facts bare.

“It is unfortunate that my colleague governor has made this a media issue. As I speak, I haven’t received any telephone call or letter from him to complain and I don’t think that is the way government works. On less important matters like this, he had called me before,” he stated.

According to Fashola “this is a political season and Anambra will be up for contest and in a political season, unusual things happen and perhaps we are living in an interesting times. And some of the evidence was when one see two adults kissing on television, it tells you that some things are afoot.” He added that it was regrettable
issues of governance being trivialized or tried on the pages of newspaper, with all sorts of columnists writing on it.

On Obi reporting him to the presidency on the issue, the governor said he was not aware if there was any place in the constitution that gave the president the power to adjudicate in disputes between states. “Yes, I know that the president has a moral authority because he is the head of the sovereign state of the country. But I am not aware that the constitution states that the dispute between states should be settled by the Presidency.

“If Anambra State has an issue on this matter, and they feel aggrieved, they should call or write to us. I feel that the final arbiter should be the court.
And it is really important to say that our hospitality in Lagos state is legendary. And it is a global legend that the people of Lagos State are hospitable people and so is the present government of the state and previous administrations,” he said.

Fashola stated that there is a large Igbo population in the state and that their presence was evident in Alaba with the Alaba International Market and the ASPAMDA market, saying that they are doing their business peacefully while the state government is working tirelessly to provide the required transport system, that would help improve the travel time and their businesses.

pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/08/01/dont-incite-igbos-against-lagos-fashola-warns-obi/

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by AyeeIdris(f): 1:23pm On Aug 02, 2013
I don't like double standards. When other states like Abuja and (from the News articles being posted)Anambra sends people away, its repatriation. When Lagos does the same, it is 'deportation'. Let's be fair and rational sometimes. Though If the allegation is true that they were left there at 4.00 a.m, that's not nice at all.
Let's not allow the issue ruin our ever improving tribal relations. Some of my best friends are Igbos and Yorubas. Two of my dearest Igbo friends are happily married to Yoruba men in Lagos and vice versa. Let's try and be civil with each other.

5 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 1:26pm On Aug 02, 2013
Ngwakwe: Stop defending the indefensible. Were you there when Peter Obi agreed to the venue of the handover?

Read the first post. Chris Ngige has supplied a letter that was written by the Anambra State Government in which they stated the venue where they wanted the hand over to take place. He even attached the letter to his letter to Aka Ikenga.

Be patient, let's hear what Aka Ikenga will say when they meet Fashola (I hope they will not be labelled traitors).
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by luvinhubby(m): 1:26pm On Aug 02, 2013
As an Anambra indigene from Anambra central senatorial district, i move a motion for the recall of senator Chris N. Ngige, if you agree click LIKE.

11 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 02, 2013
Ji_sun_pack: [size=38pt]Why are these bigoted ibos not shouting when Obi deported beggars? [/size]

My friend stop filling the thread with trash. If you do not know that employing children to beg is child abuse and is punishable under child rights laws then you need help.

5 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by aydrees09: 1:29pm On Aug 02, 2013
strangest: If Ngige can go to Okija shrine with the Ubahs and later betrayed them, I knew he will do the same tomorrow and am not surprised...
TRUTH !
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 02, 2013
naptu2:

Read the first post. Chris Ngige has supplied a letter that was written by the Anambra State Government in which they stated the venue where they wanted the hand over to take place. He even attached the letter to his letter to Aka Ikenga.

Be patient, let's hear what Aka Ikenga will say when they meet Fashola (I hope they will not be labelled traitors).
God bless you for always speaking up for the truth with facts.

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by sunto: 1:30pm On Aug 02, 2013
when it came to religion and tribal talk in this country,people just stop thinking. and start follow their emotion

pp are all missing the point.

It's not about Igbo,Yoruba ,Hausa or any of that.. It's more serious than that. It's about common sense

How can you deport someone from one state to another,within the same country,when they can just beg a 911 truck driver to allow them perch on top the loads he is carrying,and be back in Lagos or wherever the following morning?

Nigerians are hopeless,and the argument on this thread shows it. I thought people should be more concerned about Fashola wasting the resources of Lagos state to 'deport' people who can be back in Lagos within 24 hours ,if they so choose.
but when it

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 02, 2013
I've always liked Fashola but what he did is very unconstitutional. He has absolutely no right to do what he did. One can only be deported from a country to his/her original country. No one has any right to 'deport' citizens from one part of the country to another.

As for the reports posted that some Fulani children in the east were deported; Almajiri has never been a thing of the eastern, western and southern part of Nigeria. Even in Lagos, I've seen officers harass and shout at women mainly from Chad who sit by the roadside and send their children to beg.

If really Fulani herdsmen in the east were deported, then that is absolutely wrong. No one has a right to restrict a Nigerian to any part of the country irrespective of their tribe or religion.
I just hope this issue doesn't get any worse and there won't be any retaliation in future.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by eazzzy1(m): 1:33pm On Aug 02, 2013

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by proffemi: 1:34pm On Aug 02, 2013
One gets really worried going through a thread like this. The level of hatred and distrust it reveals is shocking, as is the sort of reasoning I see on both sides of the aisle (Ibo or Yoruba).

I ordinarily do not like inserting myself into discussions such as this (I respect myself and others far too much), but I am worried seeing so much hate around.

If you love this country, or your tribe, please be more careful about insulting, generalizing and attributing negatives to other tribes. Doing such adds nothing to us as a people (or peoples), and only fans the flames of hatred that are getting so hot around the country.

I beg you in the name of whatever god you serve, think carefully before you submit that post.

5 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Demswear4u: 1:34pm On Aug 02, 2013
N_girl: I've always liked Fashola but what he did is very unconstitutional. He has absolutely no right to do what he did. One can only be deported from a country to his/her original country. No one has any right to 'deport' citizens from one part of the country to another.

As for the reports posted that some Fulani children in the east were deported; Almajiri has never been a thing of the eastern, western and southern part of Nigeria. Even in Lagos, I've seen officers harass and shout at women mainly from Chad who sit by the roadside and send their children to beg.

If really Fulani herdsmen in the east were deported, then that is absolutely wrong. No one has a right to restrict a Nigerian to any part of the country irrespective of their tribe or religion.
I just hope this issue doesn't become to big and there won't be any retaliation in future.
There will be retaliation.
I can assure you.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:36pm On Aug 02, 2013
noblezone:

Please, we need much work from your senatorial district.

We need to mobilise, educate and persuade our people.
So many are still living in the past.

www.facebook.com/soludon2013
Is this the new NNO circular? SMH
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 1:36pm On Aug 02, 2013
It seems that many people still do not know what the policy is about. People are still talking about "deportation" and "force" and all those things. It shows that they don't know what the policy is about.

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by funnyx(m): 1:36pm On Aug 02, 2013
Ayee Idris: I don't like double standards. When other states like Abuja and (from the News articles being posted)Anambra sends people away, its repatriation. When Lagos does the same, it is 'deportation'. Let's be fair and rational sometimes. Though If the allegation is true that they were left there at 4.00 a.m, that's not nice at all.
Let's not allow the issue ruin our ever improving tribal relations. Some of my best friends are Igbos and Yorubas. Two of my dearest Igbo friends are happily married to Yoruba men in Lagos and vice versa. Let's try and be civil with each other.

Some people are tribalist to the core and until they purge themselves of this bigotry they'll always see every issue from a tribal angle. They are one of the reasons Nigeria is so messed up.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by duepurpose: 1:36pm On Aug 02, 2013
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From
Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Texas.Cowgirl: 12:45pm Why are other Yoruba govenors
keeping quiet? If Ibo govenors wanna tribalise this
issue, then Yorubas need to support
themselves. Where was Ngige when Peter Obi
deported Akwa Ibomites? Ibos are truly the most tribalist
people in Nigeria.

@Texas. I do hope u r not crossing ur threshold. What is d business of Yoruba govs with this barbaric practice? Is dat ur stupid and foolish way of inciting ethnic crisis? Watch ur comments, or better shot ur rotten mouth.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 02, 2013
Demswear4u?:
There will be retaliation.
I can assure you.

When is the retaliation.....pls hurry up....am tired of reading endless threats....

OUK seven days threat has passed...the bagger has chicken out like the coward he truly is....

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Demswear4u: 1:40pm On Aug 02, 2013
naptu2: It seems that many people still do not know what the policy is about. People are still talking about "deportation" and "force" and all those things. It shows that they don't know what the policy is about.
what bloody policy are you talking about?
How do you defend the deportation of citizens from their country at the dead of the night?
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Afam4eva(m): 1:41pm On Aug 02, 2013
Now, the issue has moved from whether it's constitutional to drive Nigerians out of a state to whether or not Fashola communicated with Peter Obi about the action. Whether or not he did does not take away the fact that it's immoral to deport a citizen of a country within the country. I don't care whether Anambra or Akwa-Ibom has done it previously. It is wrong. Every state government should cater for the Nigerians they find in their abode. Afterall, states are given allocations based on their population and other variables. If the government were to give allocations based on state of origin then Lagos will probably receive the smallest allocation. let our leaders be wise and not take actions that will heat up the already heated polity.

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 1:41pm On Aug 02, 2013
naptu2: Skills Acquisition Centers. The Lagos State Skills Acquisition Centers are set up for people who do not have jobs, to enable them to learn skills that will enable them earn a living. Any unemployed person can attend the skills acquisition centres, but there is also a special set of people who are sent to the centres by the government after being screened. These set of people are the area boys, homeless, street traders, beggars, etc.

Below is the process for the special class of attendees:

[size=14pt]The Process[/size]

1)The environmental laws of Lagos State (laws against street trading, begging, etc) have been in place at least since the 1970s (probably earlier). They've been reviewed quite a number of times (Akhigbe, Rasaki, Tinubu).

2) The process was fully established by the Tinubu Administration.

3) Beggars, street traders, destitutes, area boys, psychotics, etc are arrested by the Task Force on Environmental Offences.

4) They are given a choice: (a) go to prison (b) go to rehabilitation centre (c) return to your state of origin.

A) The law stipulates punishment for those who commit these offences. They include prison term, fine, forfeiture of goods.

B) Rehabilitation centres were set up (the most famous/infamous was at Ita-Oko Island). At the centres the inmates are sorted. They are tested for drugs. Those who are drug addicts are detoxified. Those who have mental illnesses are sent to the asylum. The inmates (apart from the lunatics) are then taught skills (skills acquisition centre) so that they'll be able to earn a living. When they complete the course, they are given a loan with which they will start a business and made to sign an undertaking that they will not return to the streets.

C) Return: Those who choose to return are transported to their state of origin. The state government is usually informed ahead of time (although I know of 3 instances in which their state governments claimed that they were not informed) so that they can make arrangements to cater for the people. Most of the people who have chosen to return are from the northern part of the country (note: they chose to return).
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Demswear4u: 1:42pm On Aug 02, 2013
ilugunboy:

When is the retaliation.....pls hurry up....am tired of reading endless threats....

OUK seven days threat has passed...the bagger has chicken out like the coward he truly is....
when and how it will happen is none of your business.
The only thing you need to know is that it will happen.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 02, 2013
naptu2: It seems that many people still do not know what the policy is about. People are still talking about "deportation" and "force" and all those things. It shows that they don't know what the policy is about.

Only Ibos that want to make political gains and the utterly deluded ones are stoking the fire.....

Reasonable and everyday Ibos here in Lagos are in perfect agreement
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 02, 2013
funnyx:

Some people are tribalist to the core and until they purge themselves of this bigotry they'll always see every issue from a tribal angle. They are one of the reasons Nigeria is so messed up.
Bro this is not a reflection igbos in general, this Fashola attack is the order of NDIGBO NAIRALAND ORGANIZATION, group of PDP stooges masking under igbo agenda to push pdp agenda.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Dasuki Declined Offer To Attend Father's Burial- Nigerian Government / Dangi Flyover Construction In Kano: 4 Billion Naira Ongoing Project (Photos) / The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.