Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,431 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (703) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5987015 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) (705) (706) ... (2844) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 10:29pm On Oct 16, 2016
africaken254:
continuing

For some reason KDF does not give its soldiers individual radios.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 16, 2016
Ghanaian sailor undergoing SBS training and qualification in Nigeria. Yes NN trains Ghanaian SF

10 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 16, 2016
Damn!! The Egyptian military is massive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ryykhBWME

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:55pm On Oct 16, 2016
Nigerian navy crew of NNS Unity

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 16, 2016
jakeporeshenko:
Ghanaian sailor undergoing SBS training and qualification in Nigeria. Yes NN trains Ghanaian SF

Nice, JMSTC at Ojo is an advanced training center. Lessons learned from operations in the N.E, Niger-Delta and Gulf of Guniea makes for a compelling training manual.

"However this our new Cammo though?".
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:06pm On Oct 16, 2016
Henry240:

Our Navy fleet is very large, it is pleasing that we can put enough ships at sea. However our Revised Naval Transformation Plan calls for 46 ships, 3 Submarines and 42 helicopters over a 10 year period. It's a bit difficult to track what we've done. The classifications of ships by the Navy is also broad. As for helicopters, the Navy currently has 11 units in service. 31 units to go.

Our navy's objective is to develop a fleet capable of continuous and sustaining presence in the EEZ in defence of Nigeria's maritime interests.

According to the RNTP by 2013, the Nigerian navy should have received 4 Fast Attack Crafts, 8 Helicopters and 1 Hydrographic ship. The plan was to also build an sell vessels, again we fall short in this area.

Anyway with 5 ships almost completing their refit, the plan should be back on track. We would have to see what 2017 brings.
good luck on achieving that with a budget of only 1% of GDP.....as i said before Nigeria should be spending between 2-3% on defence.....Same thing down here!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 16, 2016
Henry240 please ost=50255727:

I keep wondering whether that second helicopter(in white) is owned by us. This is the second photo i've spotted it.

This is also the second time I'm seeing that helo, i don't know who it is operated by or what role it has, but I'll find out
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 16, 2016
Henry240:

Small & Efficient has always been fiction. Especially in the pirates infested waters of the gulf of guinea, although since the Navy launched Operation "Tsare Tseku", piracy attacks across the entire gulf of guinea ( Angola - Senegal) has been low.

My point is, there has to be a constant presence at sea, at the moment the Nigerian navy can deploy 8 proper ships at sea. With 5 more due to be launched soon, that number would increase to 13. No matter how efficient, even if it is the Norwegian navy, you'll still need those ships providing a constant presence at sea. It is the only way to secure a maritime environment for national prosperity.

I disagree, South Africa has the second longest coastline in Africa(ex Madagascar), and currently we are Patrolling our EEZ with 2-3 vessels constantly at sea....and pretty successfully if i have to say!

Project Biro was never envisioned to complement our Valours in patrolling our waters but rather to replace them, as our Valours are combatants and not OPVs.

Nigeria obviously has much more pirate invested waters than SA, thus i would say having between 5-6 OPVs/Vessels patrolling your coastline would be adequate.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 16, 2016
Henry240:

Nice, JMSTC at Ojo is an advanced training center. Lessons learned from operations in the N.E, Niger-Delta and Gulf of Guniea makes for a compelling training manual.

"However this our new Cammo though?".

Apparently this new camo is SBS only, I prefer when they were dressed completely in black, head to toe. Just like in the pictures below

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Vikkie14: 12:21am On Oct 17, 2016
Off Topic:
Russia's answer to ISIL/ISIS technicals: UAZ Patriot Pickup

Equipped with Kord 12.7 mm heavy machine guns and AGS-17 grenade launchers. The gas-powered vehicles feature upgraded all-terrain capabilities, a one ton carrying capacity, and armor protection. They also feature power plugs for night vision, special tents for protection against shrapnel, and storage for ammunition. The firepower in the back of the vehicles will enable their operators to suppress enemy fire in a radius of up to 2 km. The weapons can be mounted aboard a rotary turret, allowing the user to instantaneously change his arc of fire .

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:52am On Oct 17, 2016
post by cy24driver2

various helicopters operated by Cameroon air force. that puma helo in the air looks like an Oryx.. its nose undecided

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:32am On Oct 17, 2016
jakeporeshenko:
post by cy24driver2

various helicopters operated by Cameroon air force. that puma helo in the air looks like an Oryx.. its nose undecided
Actually its just a Puma that looks like a Puma, the nose included!! The Oryx is simply a (substantially)upgrade Puma thus it looks almost identical from a far.

if the PIC was taken closer, you would see that the Oryx has different air-in -takes, and overall is a bit shorter......also a few other minor differences like the wheel arches ext ext

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 6:37am On Oct 17, 2016
Tinfoil:

Almost no one does that.

The British and Australians are the exception.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 6:39am On Oct 17, 2016
jln115:
Actually its just a Puma that looks like a Puma, the nose included!! The Oryx is simply a (substantially)upgrade Puma thus it looks almost identical from a far.

if the PIC was taken closer, you would see that the Oryx has different air-in -takes, and overall is a bit shorter......also a few other minor differences like the wheel arches ext ext

Oryx is a Puma body with an engine from a Super Puma... Or something like that

I think the body itself is also a half and half

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 6:41am On Oct 17, 2016
jakeporeshenko:

He doesn't look like he's training, he's just posing on the verandah. sad

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by upko1: 7:14am On Oct 17, 2016
ActivateKruger:

Very funny man!
So he came all the way to Nigeria, to wear Nigerian camo then pick up a Nigerian assault rifle to pose for a picture.
Well you may be correct tongue
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 7:16am On Oct 17, 2016
Patchesagain:

Oryx is a Puma body with an engine from a Super Puma... Or something like that
I think the body itself is also a half and half
It is a bit longer.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 7:18am On Oct 17, 2016
Henry240:

Small & Efficient has always been fiction. Especially in the pirates infested waters of the gulf of guinea, although since the Navy launched Operation "Tsare Tseku", piracy attacks across the entire gulf of guinea ( Angola - Senegal) has been low.

My point is, there has to be a constant presence at sea, at the moment the Nigerian navy can deploy 8 proper ships at sea. With 5 more due to be launched soon, that number would increase to 13. No matter how efficient, even if it is the Norwegian navy, you'll still need those ships providing a constant presence at sea. It is the only way to secure a maritime environment for national prosperity.

As I said before, big numbers need bigger budgets. When you buy something you need to have a proper plan to keep it running otherwise you'll have another Aradu scenario.

You don't need large numbers of vessels for pirates to know you exist. A single OPV launches a helicopter for a 400km patrol radius, two give you 800km and so forth. With just 5 OPVs you could cover the whole Gulf.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 7:22am On Oct 17, 2016
upko1:

Very funny man!
So he came all the way to Nigeria, to wear Nigerian camo then pick up a Nigerian assault rifle to pose for a picture.
Well you may be correct tongue

Nevertheless he still doesn't look like he's training.... Please check Senegalese pictures, they look like they're training.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stephandeswardt: 7:34am On Oct 17, 2016
ActivateKruger:

Yes Ghanaians are doing sbs training.....I think since last year.....sad news they are outperformin us....
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by upko1: 7:45am On Oct 17, 2016
ActivateKruger:

Nevertheless he still doesn't look like he's training.... Please check Senegalese pictures, they look like they're training.
I don't think he's training either, he's in Nigeria for photo ops, we can all see that. Infact he's here for a nollywood movie shoot. smiley
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 7:51am On Oct 17, 2016
upko1:

I don't think he's training either, he's in Nigeria for photo ops, we can all see that. Infact he's here for a nollywood movie shoot. smiley

More like auditioning for a Nollywood role grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 8:44am On Oct 17, 2016
ActivateKruger:

As I said before, big numbers need bigger budgets. When you buy something you need to have a proper plan to keep it running otherwise you'll have another Aradu scenario.

You don't need large numbers of vessels for pirates to know you exist. A single OPV launches a helicopter for a 400km patrol radius, two give you 800km and so forth. With just 5 OPVs you could cover the whole Gulf.

To maintain 5 OPVs at sea 23/7 means you will need 15 minimum... Training, reserve, maintenance included

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 8:46am On Oct 17, 2016
i will love it if the NN considers this German frigate (Brandenburg-class frigate). Constructed by the same guys that made the Aradu. about 4700+ fully ladened, heavilly armed and tough looking. four units was made for the German navy.

The all-steel ship has stealth features, extra space for task group personnel and fin stabilisers. It is designed to carry two AgustaWestland Sea Lynx mk88 helicopters and a rigid inflatable boat for boarding operations.

The first ship, Brandenburg (F215), was built by Blohm + Voss and commissioned in October 1994... we should not be afraid of buying big ships

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 9:02am On Oct 17, 2016
Patchesagain:

To maintain 5 OPVs at sea 23/7 means you will need 15 minimum... Training, reserve, maintenance included

Maybe not, just use 2 for training, keep 3 on reserve and 5 on patrol. The only down side would be the operational costs of being at sea constantly. No one can actually afford 15 OPVs unless you're Egypt who's more interested in the military than its crumbling infrastructure.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 17, 2016
Tinfoil:

thats an issue i have even read on blogs written by british soldiers who have trained with Kenyans soldiers talk about,US marines choose to use commercially available handheld radios to enable a platoon to coordinate effectively in afganistan,even during the recently failed attack by alshabaab on an ethiopia outpost clearly showed how alshabaab know how vital constant communication is when coordinating attacks after five hand held radios were captured from dead alshabaab

in the british army platoon its easily to spot three tactical radio operators,thus having better synergy within and between different platoons,head-quarter and air support.even during the recent el adde out post overrun,with how poorly equipped our forces are when it came to comms. must have played a role in failures that lead to the out post being overrun
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 11:30am On Oct 17, 2016
lionel4power:
i will love it if the NN considers this German frigate (Brandenburg-class frigate). Constructed by the same guys that made the Aradu. about 4700+ fully ladened, heavilly armed and tough looking. four units was made for the German navy.

The all-steel ship has stealth features, extra space for task group personnel and fin stabilisers. It is designed to carry two AgustaWestland Sea Lynx mk88 helicopters and a rigid inflatable boat for boarding operations.

The first ship, Brandenburg (F215), was built by Blohm + Voss and commissioned in October 1994... we should not be afraid of buying big ships

Yeah, if you have a cool calm $1,5 Billion USD to drop.

Valour Class were cheaper, at $327million. Pic 1
China offered Type 054A Frigates to Thailand for $333 million. Pic 2

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 17, 2016
jln115:

good luck on achieving that with a budget of only 1% of GDP.....as i said before Nigeria should be spending between 2-3% on defence.....Same thing down here!!

If we can achieve half of that, it would be a success.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 17, 2016
patches689:

Yeah, if you have a cool calm $1,5 Billion USD to drop.

Valour Class were cheaper, at $327million. Pic 1
China offered Type 054A Frigates to Thailand for $333 million. Pic 2

1.5 billion a ship, that's expensive. I have a feeling we would look at for a Sigma Frigate, I don't think we would go Chinese with a Frigate.

My opinion though. However 4 FACs should be in the cards to replace our Combattante class which are being converted to OPVs.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 17, 2016
jakeporeshenko:

This is also the second time I'm seeing that helo, i don't know who it is operated by or what role it has, but I'll find out

Hopefully it turns out to be a Naval helo, but i doubt it though. It's not in naval colours.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 17, 2016
jln115:

I disagree, South Africa has the second longest coastline in Africa(ex Madagascar), and currently we are Patrolling our EEZ with 2-3 vessels constantly at sea....and pretty successfully if i have to say!

Project Biro was never envisioned to complement our Valours in patrolling our waters but rather to replace them, as our Valours are combatants and not OPVs.

Nigeria obviously has much more pirate invested waters than SA, thus i would say having between 5-6 OPVs/Vessels patrolling your coastline would be adequate.

You do know OP Copper hasn't yet arrested an pirates?..... They just aren't there to begin with. Unlike the Nigerian navy which has to deal with challenging security problems in Nigeria, Benin and Sao-Tome & Principe.

The Nigerian navy requires a minimum of 6 Navy ships at sea from each of the naval commands. We also need ships in Benin to cover up to Togo and maybe Ghana. There's also Sao-Tome. 9 ships have to be at sea at any given time, while replacements at the docks, so we are talking a minimum 18 ships. When we say ships in Nigeria, we refer to vessels which are 45 - 50 meters and above.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:07pm On Oct 17, 2016
jakeporeshenko:

Apparently this new camo is SBS only, I prefer when they were dressed completely in black, head to toe. Just like in the pictures below

Cammo proliferation in the SBS unit has to be checked. It's not proper to for the SBS to have a new uniform every other year. The Black uniform, and the normal infantry desert cammo and woodland cammo is enough.

The black is my favourite, I was livid and estatic when i saw SBS guys in their black, it was perfect.

(1) (2) (3) ... (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) (705) (706) ... (2844) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.